Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2012, 09:56 PM   #1
Communist Plant
Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r

Planning a trip to Marfa in September...

If any of you have been out that way give me some tips on roads and sight seeing. The roads near Fort Davis look interesting, as do the roads near big bend.

I figure I will take hwy 90 out, according to google maps the fuel stops should be within my tank range, and I-10 would likely be deadly dull. If there are any good stops either on or just off 90, let me know.
Rael is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help planning SHNF camping trip brandontx Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 19 11-05-2014 11:46 AM
No-budget trip to the NE planning. (help needed) Redux General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 07-06-2010 11:48 AM
Long Trip Planning...... wes_70x General Discussion (Moto Related) 31 11-10-2009 05:07 PM
How many miles until fatigued(planning a big trip) ddgtomahawk General Discussion (Moto Related) 40 06-29-2009 01:54 PM
Old 06-07-2012, 10:20 PM   #2
Mr F.
Throbbing Member

- The bike I own
- All the bikes I used to own which I still list so everyone on the forums will know how cool I am

I went through there on my way back from new mexico. I stopped in marfa but couldn't find a place to stay. Went on to fort davis and enjoyed my stay there. The only two things I checked out were the mcdonald observatory and the prada marfa installation. Road to the observatory was fun.

Mr F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:20 PM   #3

07 CBR600RR

Big Bend National Park itself has some great scenery, and some pretty nice roads. FM170 heading west out of Big Bend into Presidio is really cool - it follows the Rio Grande with lots of turns and elevation changes.

US67 north out of Presidio into Marfa is pretty dull, though.

From Fort Davis, go out west on 166, then back into town on 118. Some great roads. Stop off at McDonald Observatory. Spend the night at the Hotel Limpia.
Elistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:41 AM   #4

Experience: 10+ years

Yamaha FJR 1300
Honda CBR 954RR
Yamaha WR250R

First off, I'd go in late October instead of September if possible because it will still be HOT in September out there. Plan for cool mornings and hot days.

stay in Alpine instead of Marfa - bigger town, more hotel rooms, food, and better "starting point" for riding either north or south.

Going out on 90 is better and more scenic than I-10. Be sure to stop at the overlook on the Pecos river on 90 and make sure that if you are at all low on gas you STOP and get some before going to the next town because once you go past Del Rio the fuel stops are few and far between. Be prepared for windy conditions out there.

Be sure to go up to the McDonald Observatory and stop at the top because that is the highest road in Texas and has a great view.

Take 118 NW out of Ft. Davis all the way to I-10 then east on 10 to FM 3078 south to 17 back to Ft. Davis. Stop at the artesian well pool in Balmorrhea before you head south on 17 and see it. That is a GREAT loop on some really twisty roads, especially 118. Be sure to watch for deer and hogs out there. Then take 166 west out of Ft. Davis clockwise to 118 and back to Ft. Davis. Nice loop there.

From Alpine, go east on 90 to Marathon then south on 385 into Big Bend. There is a gas station in the park near the ranger station. Be sure to take the ride up to "The Basin" just west of the ranger station then take 385 on to Terlingua.

In Terlinqua go west on river road 170 to Presidio. Another fun road to ride. There is NO gas on river road until you get to Presidio. In Presidio take 67 north to Marfa then 90 back to Alpine. This route will take the better part of a day.

Have fun and watch for critters as we always see deer and javalena out there.

Oh yeah, and expect to stop at at least four-five border patrol checkpoints out there so leave the illegals at home.

Last edited by FJRmgm; 06-08-2012 at 07:44 AM.
FJRmgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:50 AM   #5
CMRA #228
Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

2015 KTM Super Adventure
2007 SV650S (My track toy)
07 CRF230F
2006 VFR800a (sold - covered a lot of miles)
04 Honda 599 (sold)

I'm taking notes so I can make a trip out that was in the Fall too. I want to try to make it though Sanora maybe by taking a more northern route home. I hear that there's some caverns up there that are a good see.
Sloan - Iron # 42900
2015 KTM Super Adventure
07 Suzuki SV650s - CMRA #228

Last edited by x-ray; 06-08-2012 at 08:53 AM.
x-ray is offline   Reply With Quote