MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2012, 05:08 PM   #61
SwimguyZ1000

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2003 z1000

"Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual."
Thomas Jefferson

I think this is what Bluewave is feeling when looking at the sentence of this kid. I agree that what he did was totally wrong in every way possible but 2 years in jail and 15 years no driver license is kind of excessive.

The best quote for me and my beliefs on it all is from Ben Franklin

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
SwimguyZ1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2yrs Coach Dave CaligoneTx Off Topic 14 04-21-2015 03:29 PM
which one of you is texting me urbanXJ Off Topic 11 04-14-2010 10:50 PM
Texting While Riding... PimpDaub General Discussion (Moto Related) 23 10-26-2009 06:14 PM
TExting while driving morvegil Off Topic 1 09-01-2009 09:48 AM
Texting While Driving Pyrofallout Off Topic 39 08-18-2009 06:37 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-07-2012, 05:28 PM   #62
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimguyZ1000 View Post
"Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual."
Thomas Jefferson

I think this is what Bluewave is feeling when looking at the sentence of this kid. I agree that what he did was totally wrong in every way possible but 2 years in jail and 15 years no driver license is kind of excessive.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Driving on a public road is not a right it is a privilege. Anything distracting a 17 yr. old kid with not more than 1 year driving experience is not a good idea. The fact he couldn't get through a short time period without killing someone is not a good reflection on his driving abilities. 15 years suspended seems about right.

Put the phone down and drive people.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:54 PM   #63
z0sum

Bike(s):
2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
I authored that law

Shooting driving texters however should be legal
Wow dude, get off your high horse.
z0sum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 08:21 PM   #64
Longhorn87

Bike(s):
08 BKing
Softail - sold fast
ZX10-sold
500 Interceptor-sold
way too many dirt bikes-sold

Phones should have keyboards disabled when in a moving vehicle. I don't care if it is inconvient for some people. You won't either when a family member is killed by someone texting or dialing a phone.

Is it really worth it? If you say it is then sign up to be the next person that has to clean up the scene or notify the family or watch your own...........
Old 06-07-2012, 08:34 PM   #65
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

If i am a passenger you better believe I should be allowed to use my phone. How about a few not it up for everybody?
Old 06-07-2012, 09:03 PM   #66
Scorch
Born to Run

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2008 Suzuki V-Strom 650
1990 Suzuki DR250S
1986 Suzuki GV1200 Madura
1975 Suzuki GT380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
It's against the law in MA to text while driving and apparently the jury believed he was texting when he killed a father of 3
And he was texting, so he gets a time out in prison, that's fine with me.

We need a term for those awesome people who sit ahead of you texting 20 seconds after the light has turned green. I'm seeing this a LOT these days.
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:14 PM   #67
CombatM0NKEY
Call me TOOTs..

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
1995 Honda Shadow 600VLX

Honda Xr50

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to CombatM0NKEY Send a message via MSN to CombatM0NKEY Send a message via Yahoo to CombatM0NKEY
so... seems the Heat is leading..
CombatM0NKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:28 AM   #68
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0sum View Post
Wow dude, get off your high horse.
My Little Pony

My horse is not high
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:29 AM   #69
zerobounds
Captain Concussion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):

clop clop
Old 06-08-2012, 07:03 AM   #70
obed
TMGP Pimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimguyZ1000 View Post
Thomas Jefferson

I would use your same quotes to justify the imprisonment and license susension this young man received, because what he did violated the rights of others...and he should pay for that. He did not exercise his rights in addition to the rights of others, but in detriment to the rights of others.
driving on public roads is not a right... you have to agree to what the public wants to use public roads... if you are on your own property driving your own vehicle you can do what ever you want, but not on public roads... texting has proven itself to be dangerous, too much so to be allowed on public roads.
It is perfectly understandable to have rules and restrictions on public roads to help assure the realtive safety of all who use it... that is why we have drivers licenses and vehicle inspections...to help with with safety
Old 06-08-2012, 07:20 AM   #71
kibitzer
Donkey punch 2 the soul

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR
02 XR100(tarded)
07 CRF50 (mini tard)

Did anybody get this out of the way yet?

FTP

AC20N
kibitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:36 AM   #72
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

As has been pointed out already, driving is a previledge. Protecting oneself from harm and guarding against aggression from others is a right.

The Mass. law that convicted this boy is aimed precised to protect that Right. By punishing ones who trespass against other's rights to safety & well-being. And by taking away his previledge.

If you don't wish to suffer the consequence, don't break the law. If you don't like the law, petition to repeal it and see how many folks agree with you. That law got the vote in Mass. for a reason. I believe 28 states have already enacted similar legislature. More are sure to come.

Nobody likes more laws to tell us what we can or cannot do, but the system is as imperfect as we the people behave in public. Sometimes laws are necessary only because of our own stupidity.

Take a hard look in the mirror and see if that law will ever one day apply to you. If yes, work hard to modify your own behavior to ensure that it won't. That's my take-away from this sad episode, in which nobody won. Least of whom the innocent deceased.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:47 AM   #73
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Victim joined others to push for Chapel Hill's new prohibition of drivers using cell phones (link)
Quote:
Two years ago, 23-year-old Krista Slough was walking to a bus stop when she was hit by a car. A witness told her the driver was on a cell phone.

"I think this is where my shoes were found," said Slough pointing to the scene of the accident. "I think I fell to about that tree. I don't remember any of this. It's just from hearing from other people."

A brain hemorrhage forced her to miss a year of college. She has chronic headaches and memory lapses.

"One of the most, one of the hardest parts of having a brain injury like this is being able to see something and imagine it but not be able to find the word for it and not be able to describe it in the same efficient way I could before," Slough said.
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement