MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2012, 05:27 AM   #1
Bevo
Hook 'em!
 
Bevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston-The South Loop
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 24,295

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage





Bikes Crash - One With 2up

..
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
"I lack skillz"
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2up lesson... Lucar General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 11-26-2012 03:41 PM
2up Dead Bevo General Discussion (Moto Related) 63 06-16-2011 09:31 PM
NOOB FOREST RIDE *ALL BIKES WELCOME* ~2UP WELCOME~ MudBug Events, Meets and Rides 119 02-08-2011 06:49 PM
2up head on crash vid bentgixxer General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 09-07-2010 10:15 PM
2up? marimirez General Discussion (Moto Related) 24 01-15-2008 07:52 AM
Advertisement
Old 06-06-2012, 05:40 AM   #2
trooper
Time to ride.
 
trooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tha hillz
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 2,657

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
07 Heritage Softail Classic









Ow
trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:59 AM   #3
Ulric
Dirty Old
 
Ulric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 9,633

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
05 FZ1









uhm.. 3 bikes, it says two bikes narrowly avoided a crash.

The photograph shows 2 bikes down, and that looks like white plastic from the repsol. We'll have to see if it's members/aquaintances...
__________________
"new joke tomorrow..."
Ulric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:04 AM   #4
Bevo
Hook 'em!
 
Bevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston-The South Loop
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 24,295

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
uhm.. 3 bikes, it says two bikes narrowly avoided a crash.

The photograph shows 2 bikes down, and that looks like white plastic from the repsol. We'll have to see if it's members/aquaintances...
Three bikes were involved. One with 2up hit the trailer, the second missed the trailer but obviously crashed
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
"I lack skillz"
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:28 AM   #5
Ulric
Dirty Old
 
Ulric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 9,633

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
05 FZ1









Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
Three bikes were involved. One with 2up hit the trailer, the second missed the trailer but obviously crashed
Im guessing the author used crash to reflect impact with another vehicle as opposed to 'wrecked'.... just pointing out what the article stated.


...and another one...
http://blog.chron.com/newswatch/2012...dies-in-crash/
__________________
"new joke tomorrow..."

Last edited by Ulric; 06-06-2012 at 06:30 AM.
Ulric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:40 AM   #6
Bevo
Hook 'em!
 
Bevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston-The South Loop
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 24,295

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
Im guessing the author used crash to reflect impact with another vehicle as opposed to 'wrecked'
Exactly. News writers aren't usually motorcycle savvy, nor do they write for a rider audience
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
"I lack skillz"
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:43 AM   #7
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled
 
tiatool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Gunspoint
Feedback Rating: (14)
Posts: 8,687

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100





White Repsol?
__________________
sbmsafesig
tiatool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:44 AM   #8
Ulric
Dirty Old
 
Ulric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring
Feedback Rating: (1)
Posts: 9,633

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
05 FZ1









Quote:
Originally Posted by tiatool View Post
White Repsol?
pics looks like it
__________________
"new joke tomorrow..."
Ulric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:47 AM   #9
Bevo
Hook 'em!
 
Bevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston-The South Loop
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 24,295

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by tiatool View Post
White Repsol?
Yep
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
"I lack skillz"
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:16 AM   #10
CraigRR
CMRA # 147
 
CraigRR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Crosby
Feedback Rating: (3)
Posts: 8,866

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2009 Honda CBR 1000RR ABS
2011 EX250NinjaR
2001 Yamaha TTR-L (sold to Jimrad)
2015 KTM RC 390 CUP






, Hope they pull through. Sometimes I have seen thoes trailers, and they don't have working tail lights. Not saying that is the case, but yet one more reason not to ride at night...
__________________
BRAWP
CraigRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:53 AM   #11
Track_Graphics
Senior Member
 
Track_Graphics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,566

Experience: 10+ years











I've seen the white REPSOLs before. I kinda like them over the traditional color.
What makes me mad is when an article mentions that the dead person wasn't wearing a helmet, but they won't say wether or not that had anything to do with them dieing. Motorcycles always "travel at a high rate of speed". It's the perception. My son hit a friggin fire hydrant at less than 50 and his passenger was thrown more than 60 feet into the fargin woods and actual witnesses saw his bike explode into a million bits. So how can they estimate these guys were going over 80??

Ulric's thread even says the motorcycle was "traveling at a rate of speed" . . . WTH does that mean??? Or better yet, what's the intentional trick the writer is trying to play on non-rider readers.

General non-rider readers are expected to fill in the blanks with assumed information. He died from a head injury regardless of what really killed him and motorcycles are always breaking the speed limit when they crash.

I don't like it when the press uses a persons suffereing or the loss of someones life to push anti-motorcycle sentiments by bending the truth about what happened to them, and coloring the readers mind. Throw in some words/phrases that paint a different picture from the truth - "slammed", "no other injuries - just the crushed head - were reported. I'm a hater and I hate these writers. I know first hand what it's like, as a family member, to read a bunch of half truths and always end up defending yourself in the leary eyes of people you know. How about - A jerk cager "slammed" on his brakes, not known if a turn signal was used, to suddenly pull into a driveway causing a fun loving biker out enjoying his bike the day to lose his life. ?

RIP to the lost life of the rider and peace to his family and friends and I wish a very "rate of speed" recovery to the other people hurt when they hit the back of the trailer that we all know probably had no operating brake lights or turn signals (knowing the common condition of "yard equipment" trailers).

Sorry for the rant about the press, but when one of us goofs up or is in an accident it's always written to be our fault and that's just not true. I just want to stand up for our fellow riders when they go down and can't stand for themselves.
__________________
Coolest Paint Jobs Ever
Track_Graphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:55 AM   #12
Thayleal
GingerBrawp CMRA #369
 
Thayleal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Houston ;Katy
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 3,651

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2006 SV650s (Sold)
2003 SV650s (sold)
08 Ninja250 BRAWP bike (For Sale)
08 Ninja250 Racebike(Sold)
2007 SV650S(Streetbike)






Quote:
Originally Posted by Track_Graphics View Post
I've seen the white REPSOLs before. I kinda like them over the traditional color.
What makes me mad is when an article mentions that the dead person wasn't wearing a helmet, but they won't say wether or not that had anything to do with them dieing. Motorcycles always "travel at a high rate of speed". It's the perception. My son hit a friggin fire hydrant at less than 50 and his passenger was thrown more than 60 feet into the fargin woods and actual witnesses saw his bike explode into a million bits. So how can they estimate these guys were going over 80??

Ulric's thread even says the motorcycle was "traveling at a rate of speed" . . . WTH does that mean??? Or better yet, what's the intentional trick the writer is trying to play on non-rider readers.

General non-rider readers are expected to fill in the blanks with assumed information. He died from a head injury regardless of what really killed him and motorcycles are always breaking the speed limit when they crash.

I don't like it when the press uses a persons suffereing or the loss of someones life to push anti-motorcycle sentiments by bending the truth about what happened to them, and coloring the readers mind. Throw in some words/phrases that paint a different picture from the truth - "slammed", "no other injuries - just the crushed head - were reported. I'm a hater and I hate these writers. I know first hand what it's like, as a family member, to read a bunch of half truths and always end up defending yourself in the leary eyes of people you know. How about - A jerk cager "slammed" on his brakes, not known if a turn signal was used, to suddenly pull into a driveway causing a fun loving biker out enjoying his bike the day to lose his life. ?

RIP to the lost life of the rider and peace to his family and friends and I wish a very "rate of speed" recovery to the other people hurt when they hit the back of the trailer that we all know probably had no operating brake lights or turn signals (knowing the common condition of "yard equipment" trailers).

Sorry for the rant about the press, but when one of us goofs up or is in an accident it's always written to be our fault and that's just not true. I just want to stand up for our fellow riders when they go down and can't stand for themselves.
Preach on Brudda!
__________________
Trey zps3a9a06e5
If I can't eat it, race it or sleep with it then whats the point?

Motorcycles are like women... once you ride one... you wanna ride em all.
Thayleal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:02 AM   #13
Bevo
Hook 'em!
 
Bevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston-The South Loop
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 24,295

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by Track_Graphics View Post
I've seen the white REPSOLs before. I kinda like them over the traditional color.
What makes me mad is when an article mentions that the dead person wasn't wearing a helmet, but they won't say wether or not that had anything to do with them dieing. Motorcycles always "travel at a high rate of speed". It's the perception. My son hit a friggin fire hydrant at less than 50 and his passenger was thrown more than 60 feet into the fargin woods and actual witnesses saw his bike explode into a million bits. So how can they estimate these guys were going over 80??

Ulric's thread even says the motorcycle was "traveling at a rate of speed" . . . WTH does that mean??? Or better yet, what's the intentional trick the writer is trying to play on non-rider readers.

General non-rider readers are expected to fill in the blanks with assumed information. He died from a head injury regardless of what really killed him and motorcycles are always breaking the speed limit when they crash.

I don't like it when the press uses a persons suffereing or the loss of someones life to push anti-motorcycle sentiments by bending the truth about what happened to them, and coloring the readers mind. Throw in some words/phrases that paint a different picture from the truth - "slammed", "no other injuries - just the crushed head - were reported. I'm a hater and I hate these writers. I know first hand what it's like, as a family member, to read a bunch of half truths and always end up defending yourself in the leary eyes of people you know. How about - A jerk cager "slammed" on his brakes, not known if a turn signal was used, to suddenly pull into a driveway causing a fun loving biker out enjoying his bike the day to lose his life. ?

RIP to the lost life of the rider and peace to his family and friends and I wish a very "rate of speed" recovery to the other people hurt when they hit the back of the trailer that we all know probably had no operating brake lights or turn signals (knowing the common condition of "yard equipment" trailers).

Sorry for the rant about the press, but when one of us goofs up or is in an accident it's always written to be our fault and that's just not true. I just want to stand up for our fellow riders when they go down and can't stand for themselves.
You should realize that writers are not on the scene and are getting their info from police or stringers or both. There's no media conspiracy against motorcycling. Car crash reports also often use the phrase "high rate of speed" so they probably left out the word "high". If that's what a witness tells the police, should it be ignored just because the witness is an ordinary citizen and not a crash reconstruction expert?

A ME will determine the cause of death and that's not going to happen any time soon after a traffic accident.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
"I lack skillz"

Last edited by Bevo; 06-06-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #14
LRD
Kawi Green!
 
LRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SE Houston
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 887

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
05 636
08 250 (Sold)








Well said Track_Graphics
LRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:26 AM   #15
Track_Graphics
Senior Member
 
Track_Graphics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,566

Experience: 10+ years











I agree BEVO - but it's sensationalized or colored and they know it and they don't care about who's left holding the bag explaining it. We have enough greif with our loss, but now we have to deal with non-truth writing that shine a bad light on our injured or dead. Once it's writen - those "not in the know" tend to believe it or have been influenced enough in the past to just chalk it up to those bikers. And if even for a split second you thing the police are gonna tell the truth about it . . . ha, yeah, right. And maybe it's not a "conspiracy" but I didn't say it was. Take a ride through Pasadena, or Friendswood and you will definitely have a little experience with anti-bike sentiment. And writers not being on the scene shouldn't influence readers with their little quips and funny ways of putting down the "facts". Forget verification, put down what the cop said and fill in the rest. Make it have a point and make it sell.
__________________
Coolest Paint Jobs Ever
Track_Graphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:28 AM   #16
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?
 
RACER X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Richmond, Tx
Feedback Rating: (26)
Posts: 33,486

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold






too bad many times if not most "high rate of speed" is the truth.
__________________
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
2014 GROM
181cc's BABY!
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:36 AM   #17
CBR_TRAN
Another Short Asian
 
CBR_TRAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Spring Branch
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 2,265

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2007 Cbr600rr
1972 cb450 (cafe under construction)
2008 Kawasaki 250r (sold)







RIP
__________________
ABC
My Cafe Racer build...
CBR_TRAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:39 AM   #18
Track_Graphics
Senior Member
 
Track_Graphics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 1,566

Experience: 10+ years











^^^ See and that bothers me too.
What if the speed limit is 60? And the bike is doing 60. Run into a stopped car at 30 and you'll find that 30 is a high rate of speed to hit a stopped car even if it's 30 under the posted 60. Its "factually" correct, but realatively way the 773H off. And I'm talking about the way these articles are written. Writers can throw in those phases and words like "slammed" (773H, of course you slam into something at 30) but the reader gets whole 'nother picture.

Now before you get your undies in a bundle - I just so happen to agree with you though - yeah, a lot of us (but never me) are racing around like we're on a track and we even post videos of it. I wish we would save our triple digits for the track and our stunts for a place laid out for it.
__________________
Coolest Paint Jobs Ever
Track_Graphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:40 AM   #19
Bevo
Hook 'em!
 
Bevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston-The South Loop
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 24,295

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by Track_Graphics View Post
I agree BEVO - but it's sensationalized or colored and they know it and they don't care about who's left holding the bag explaining it. We have enough greif with our loss, but now we have to deal with non-truth writing that shine a bad light on our injured or dead. Once it's writen - those "not in the know" tend to believe it or have been influenced enough in the past to just chalk it up to those bikers. And if even for a split second you thing the police are gonna tell the truth about it . . . ha, yeah, right. And maybe it's not a "conspiracy" but I didn't say it was. Take a ride through Pasadena, or Friendswood and you will definitely have a little experience with anti-bike sentiment. And writers not being on the scene shouldn't influence readers with their little quips and funny ways of putting down the "facts". Forget verification, put down what the cop said and fill in the rest. Make it have a point and make it sell.
Who the you going to verify facts with besides the police and witnesses and still get the story on air the same day? Reporting what a witness says is not lying. The witness may lie, but a legit writer will not report that knowing it's a lie. If I'm driving the speed limit and someone blows past me, that's a "high rate of speed".
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
"I lack skillz"
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:43 AM   #20
Bevo
Hook 'em!
 
Bevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston-The South Loop
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 24,295

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage





Quote:
Originally Posted by Track_Graphics View Post
^^^ See and that bothers me too.
What if the speed limit is 60? And the bike is doing 60. Run into a stopped car at 30 and you'll find that 30 is a high rate of speed to hit a stopped car even if it's 30 under the posted 60. Its "factually" correct, but realatively way the 773H off. And I'm talking about the way these articles are written. Writers can throw in those phases and words like "slammed" (773H, of course you slam into something at 30) but the reader gets whole 'nother picture.

Now before you get your undies in a bundle - I just so happen to agree with you though - yeah, a lot of us (but never me) are racing around like we're on a track and we even post videos of it. I wish we would save our triple digits for the track and our stunts for a place laid out for it.
I guess if a pro wrestler can slam another, then a bike or car hitting something at 30mph could be a slam
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
"I lack skillz"
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:50 PM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy