MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Gear Talk
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2007, 04:00 PM   #21
99BlackR1
Spaz

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
R1, CRF50

Patrick at Motorcycles Unlimited has some great new Suomy Helmets in stock from the Vandals line. They Run anywhere from the 200-300 range. He makes sure to keep at least one of each size in stock to give people the chance for proper fit. Usually they can be ordered and put in your hands from 1 to 2 business days. Check him out
motorcycledudeindestructible2542999l4qy6go
Pardon the hate and the animosity
towards your belief system and your hypocrisy.
No regrets, no remorse.This is my last serenade
99BlackR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Well Theres a 1st for everything ForgottnSoul General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 07-27-2011 05:26 PM
1st Time Track Riders/1st Time Ride Smart Customers!!! ThomAss Ridesmart Motorcycle School 0 09-10-2010 05:38 PM
My buddy's 1st TD and 1st lap...almost BigComfy General Discussion (Moto Related) 22 10-05-2009 04:45 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-07-2007, 04:01 PM   #22
99BlackR1
Spaz

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
R1, CRF50

FYI i know someone that had a Fulmer helmet and could have probably saved his ears from blowing out from the helmet exploding on impact during a wreck if he had a good helmet.
motorcycledudeindestructible2542999l4qy6go
Pardon the hate and the animosity
towards your belief system and your hypocrisy.
No regrets, no remorse.This is my last serenade
99BlackR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 05:06 PM   #23
hoot07

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
07gsxr600

what do you guys think about AGV helmets?
hoot07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 05:58 PM   #24
Had20z
Yea........Rigggght

Bike(s):
06 gsxr 600

word.....my icon size is a large but my Arai is an Medium....

i love my Arai....fits good, breaths good, i like it so much, i make my girl put it on when we are doing it.....heh
Old 01-07-2007, 06:21 PM   #25
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Don't let price or brand name decide for you. Look for DOT and SNELL 2005 stickers, and try on a lot of styles to decide what fits best. Then talk to some people that have the style you like, to make sure they aren't having problems. Then plunk down some cash and get what YOU want.

And if you got the bike and want to borrow an XL while you are shopping, I have a spare now.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 07:13 PM   #26
Irish
The Dogs Bollocks

Bike(s):
06 Suzuki 750

Send a message via MSN to Irish
I have both a Shoei X-11 and a Scorpion.Both are awesome helmets and both of course are DOT and SNELL approved.

If you can't afford $600 for a Shoei then you can get a Scorpion for $200 which is still a quality helmet.
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 07:28 PM   #27
jrock
straight shooter

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2003 Kawi ZX9r Green Machine-sold
1995 Honda CB 1000 Big One

Send a message via Yahoo to jrock
Sweet lid
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a6b3_1.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	4016  
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 08:23 PM   #28
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky
Forget brand and designs at first. Go try on a bunch.

Some are made for oval heads, some for round heads, some for fat heads, some for Dumbo ears, etc. See which brands have a better overall fit for your head shape and THEN start looking at what models they have.

Different price points from the same manufacturer are usually just bells and whistles - venting, weight, noise, designs. If you can't afford the higher-end models, then make sure you're at least getting what will protect you, even if it means you don't get the fancy breath deflector or mirror shield. Those are nice, but they won't protect your noggin.

...just my $.02
+1

Fit is as important as brand.

There are multiple good brands out there and you can get a decent helmet for $200.00 or so or a really good helmet for $300.00 - $400.00.

The differences are in weight, venting, shield clarity, comfort and quality.

If you're up on our side of town, feel free to stop in, and we can properly size you and advise you on what brands fit your shape of head, plus we can make you a smoking deal on any helmet you might want.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 08:24 PM   #29
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock
Sweet lid

I've got that one, it's now my "shop helmet".

Great lid!

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 09:00 PM   #30
DANtheMan.
Chicks dig scars!

Experience: 2 years

06 crf250

Send a message via AIM to DANtheMan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton9698
hurry.. buy it now for 7 bucks!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bicycle-Helmet-T...QQcmdZViewItem

on a more serious note.. i dont get over 100 very often and when i do it late night and i know i am well in control.... so i went with the HJC that matched my bike and gear.. but then again 95% of my riding is under 30 mph
:laughing6 :laughing6 :laughing6

im just another NEWB SqUiDnAsTy...
DANtheMan. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 09:01 PM   #31
civicious

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
TZR250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormrider
Hey WAL-MART have brand new helmet for $75.00, and you save yourself $125.00. To me it not HOWMUCH your head WORTH but HOW SAFE it will get when you get in trouble.
I would rather wear a cardboard box than a Wal-Mart helmet...the cardboard box is cheaper, and they both offer the same level of protection.
10541 FM 1960 W #300 - (281) 477-3038
http://www.idbracing.com
civicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 09:09 PM   #32
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

What is your hat size? It is important to know. You may think that the helmet is tight but it is supposed to be. Don't get a loose helmet. If you do, you might as well ride without one. Oh and if your head isn't worth much to you ($5-$600 range) I invite you to come over to the 3rd floor of TIRR and see the patients on the head trauma floor. It will bring a tear to your eye for sure and maybe give you some sense on what your head is worth.

Oh and I have a Shoei Medium (7 1/8 hat size) for sale and it is in really good shape. (hotwheels version $180)
Old 01-07-2007, 10:44 PM   #33
NOsquid

There is not much compelling and certainly no conclusive evidence that more expensive helmets will prevent injury better than any lid with comparable accreditation Snell/BSI/ECE/DOT.

Why do you guys try to scare the new kid like you actually know something he doesn't? He's impressionable and you're preying on it.

If I go visit the head trauma ward, will there only be people there who wore cheap helmets
NOsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 10:58 PM   #34
GsxrStar
drama patrol

Bike(s):
05 gsxr 750

Send a message via AIM to GsxrStar
shoei
Old 01-07-2007, 11:02 PM   #35
Random_Hero
Grand Optimist

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2011 ZX10R

Motorcycles Unlimited usually has some really good deals giong on the suomy helmets. They're a great all around helmet the only really compaint I have with mine other then wind noise but thats an easy fix and its not a bad amount. My vote is for a Suomy or Shoei
Random_Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 11:05 PM   #36
Los
Gang Member

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
'04 Yamaha R6 Edition
'14 Yamaha R6

Send a message via AIM to Los
My first helmet was a Vega that I bought off ebay new. It also smacked the freeway repeatedly when I was side swiped by a drunk driver. So I wouldn't really say hey.... how much is your head worth to you. You pay more for comfort, style and function. If you want something reliable and cheap, go with a Scorpion, HJC, or even a KBC.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:09 PM   #37
ryanx13

Well thanks for the advice guys and I REALLY APPRECIATE the guy who says that a NEW motorcyclist should visit a head trauma unit.........thats real GREAT advice,..........kinda like takin The Cripple out for a pair of RUNNING SHOES..........kinda messed up no?..........Im not insensitive I just hate people that act like a**holes cause someone is tryin to learn something new!!!
Old 01-07-2007, 11:09 PM   #38
GsxrStar
drama patrol

Bike(s):
05 gsxr 750

Send a message via AIM to GsxrStar
shoei! one of the lightest helmets x 11
Old 01-08-2007, 12:26 PM   #39
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOsquid
There is not much compelling and certainly no conclusive evidence that more expensive helmets will prevent injury better than any lid with comparable accreditation Snell/BSI/ECE/DOT.
That may be true due to the lack of surveys regarding helmet models and brands done on accident scenes but companies such as Arai, Shoei, HJC (the top models) go through way more testing than the cheaper counterparts. Your cheaper helmet mfgs scrape by to get to Snell, DOT standards and that's it. These other higher end helmets are tested for higher impacts above and beyond the Snell, DOT standards. Comfort is last on their list. They are all about safety at speed on the street or track.

Quote:
Why do you guys try to scare the new kid like you actually know something he doesn't? He's impressionable and you're preying on it.
Didn't he ask for opinions?

Quote:
If I go visit the head trauma ward, will there only be people there who wore cheap helmets
That wasn't the reason why I said that. There are many people there that were in car accidents, falls, etc. I was simply attempting to establish a weight to how much your head is worth and not implying that a helmet will keep you from dying or receiving a brain injury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanx13
Well thanks for the advice guys and I REALLY APPRECIATE the guy who says that a NEW motorcyclist should visit a head trauma unit.........thats real GREAT advice,..........kinda like takin The Cripple out for a pair of RUNNING SHOES..........kinda messed up no?..........Im not insensitive I just hate people that act like a**holes cause someone is tryin to learn something new!!!
Hey I wear running shoes...phucktard should I not wear them? Are there wheelchair shoes? lol.

Any who, you asked for the opinions of members on this forum. I didn't come to you and solicit the information to you. You asked what were the BEST brands and why. You also stated that you didn't want to spend more than $200. So don't call me an for giving you my opinion that coincides with the majority of this forum. You can still get a good Shoei, Arai, HJC, KBC for that price. But you have to be very savy and know what you are looking for. You have to try on several different brands and sizes to see what is out there. Then you can worry about trying to find the best price. Neck fatigue and wind buffering will be something that you canít try on at the store as well and you may want to get someoneís opinion on that as well.

While you are at it, you may want to see another side of motorcycling...
You can see it here: http://home.earthlink.net/~bdmpastx
or here:http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=22626
or here:http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=22163
or here:http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=21375

All of these were in the last 30 days.
Another member: Chris (aka 1ARM1LEG)Here: http://www.motohouston.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9877
and Here: http://www.motohouston.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9359

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Seinfeld
"There are many things you can point to as proof that the human is not smart. But my personal favorite would have to be that we needed to invent the helmet. What was happening, apparently, was that we were involved in a lot of activities that were cracking our heads. We chose not to avoid doing those activities but, instead, to come up with some sort of device to help us enjoy our head-cracking lifestyles. And even that didn't work because not enough people were wearing them so we had to come up with the helmet law. Which is even stupider, the idea behind the helmet law being to preserve a brain whose judgment is so poor, it does not even try to avoid the cracking of the head it's in."
Old 01-08-2007, 12:50 PM   #40
Ripcurl

Bike(s):
02 Sv650 Nekkid

Send a message via AIM to Ripcurl
I bought a KBC first and it fit well and I thought it was a good helmet.

Then this weekend I bought a SUOMY, the difference is astounding. The Suomy mainly is so much lighter and more ventilated than the KBC. It also has alot more comfortable padding.

So while I think the KBC would have been fine, paid 150$, the suomy feels very much worth the money(400$).
Ripcurl is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement