MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2012, 09:22 PM   #1
dudewhrsmybike

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to dudewhrsmybike
Exclamation Please read, opinions needed

This is a long read, but please read it all before posting on the matter. Thanks

March 2010, my generator (stator) failed on a ride. Gen failure = metal bits loose in the oil.
It took a few months to find a replacement generator.
My plan was to put in the replacement, flush the motor, and ride.

The plan worked, however, a few hundred miles later, and without warning, I threw a rod going 70+ down the freeway.
Whether or not I threw a rod because the motor was not properly cleaned (rebuild), I do not know for sure.
At the time I didn't have the money to buy a whole replacement motor.
A friend suggested that I buy another friends motor that had a gen. failure.
I figured I could rebuild that one myself or with a friend (free/cheap labor) clean it properly, and get it running right (and still have spent less had i bought a clean $1300+ replacement motor)

I knew I was taking a small risk by buying it and not knowing how the internals would look after the gen. failure. However, since I got my original motor running after a FAR WORSE (HIGH SPEED) generator failure, I figured I could get this one running and make it last, with a proper rebuild of course.

This is where I need advice/opinions from you guys....

Last night I ran across this post that I promise you I have never read...
http://zx-10r.net/forum/showpost.php...4&postcount=10

Quote:
Pretty sure, it's over at my friends house right now, but he started it up the other day and it was knocking extremely loud, so loud that his dad came out wondering wtf is going on lol so it was immediately turned off. Afterwards the oil was drained and he said it appeared really gunky with a crapload of stuff stuck onto the magnetic drain bolt. Pretty sure that motor is toast but we'll know for sure when we rip it apart, I'll post pics 2 weeks from now.
Well, the motor never got disassembled and it was all in one piece when I bought it a year ago. It is still in once piece now and ONLY the generator has been removed.

Regarding the knock, what I want to know is, WHY WAS I NEVER INFORMED OF THIS WHEN I CONTACTED HIM TO BUY THE MOTOR? I KNEW THE GENERATOR HAD FAILED, AND THAT WAS IT. WHY WOULD HE SELL ME A MOTOR THAT HE KNOWS I AM TRYING TO CLEAN, REBUILD, AND REUSE EVERYTHING BUT THE GENERATOR, IF IT WAS "KNOCKING EXTREMELY LOUD" ?? Had I known that, I would have waited till I had enough cash to buy a clean motor ready to swap, or offered him WAY less money for the as-is motor. If I knew it was knocking extremely loud, there's no telling what is wrong with it and I wasn't willing to fix it. However, I was willing to take my chances on a cheap motor and rebuild it if it ONLY had a generator failure, nothing more, no knocks, just failure.

What do you guys feel is fair in this situation? I'm kind of feeling like he can have his motor back, and I get my money back. Or, I can keep his motor, and he can keep SOME of my money.

FWIW (and if i remember correctly) he bought his drop in replacement motor from his friend for $500, and he sold me his generator failure motor for $500. And again, I was never informed of the knock, only that the generator had failed, and that was it.

Please help me out here folks because I just want to get this straightened out the best way possible. FWIW, I texted him at 4:30p today politely asking him to call me today when he has time. We haven't spoke yet.

As a side note...I let him borrow my Moto/Atv scissor style hydraulic floor jack so he could take this motor out of his bike, and drop in the replacement he bought. So is this how the favor is returned? By selling me a "failed generator only" motor for $500, where in reality, the motor is worth considerably less knowing that it has an "extremely loud knock" that could cost $$$$ to fix.

If you guys have any questions, I will answer them honestly and best I can.

-Gary
dudewhrsmybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Welders - Look Here! Opinions Needed! Racer997 General Discussion (Moto Related) 15 02-25-2009 11:37 AM
Opinions Needed!!!!! LivInG lYfE General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 10-03-2008 06:38 AM
Read..Give Opinions..Be Nice.. BlackWidow General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 07-13-2007 09:59 PM
Need Advice/Opinions - Tuners Read.. BlackWidow Off Topic 39 07-04-2007 01:53 AM
Advertisement
Old 05-27-2012, 09:26 PM   #2
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

doesn't sound like a friend to me Gary. call him out on it and see what he has to say for himself. I'd wait to form a course of action till you see what kind of response you get out of him.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:34 PM   #3
dinosaur
Retired in place

Bike(s):
'05 Zx6-R (636)Sold

whoop time!
CMRA #414
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:35 PM   #4
El Pachuco

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
Kawasaki ZRX 1200R

give him his engine and get your money back.
spend the extra money to buy a good used engine. you'll be happy you did, afterward.
El Pachuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:04 PM   #5
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pachuco View Post
give him his engine and get your money back.
spend the extra money to buy a good used engine. you'll be happy you did, afterward.
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:39 PM   #6
Lucar

Member Garage

Get your mula back
Lucar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:43 PM   #7
zerobounds
Captain Concussion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
whoop time!
got about halfway through the OP and had this rolling through my head the whole time.

its whoop time.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:45 PM   #8
switch
two fifty

Experience: 4 years

that's not a friend. at all.
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:12 AM   #9
The Habernatho

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2012 Street Triple R

It's been a year since you bought it from him. I'd personally chalk it up as a loss.

Last edited by The Habernatho; 05-28-2012 at 01:14 AM.
The Habernatho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:14 AM   #10
Sileighty
Squid

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
05 Ninja ZX-10R (Street)
05 Ninja 636 (Track)
08 Ninja 650R (Sold)
06 Ninja 650R (Sold)

From the thread it looks like that was a year or two ago. I'd just take it at a loss.
Sileighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:20 AM   #11
dudewhrsmybike

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Habernatho View Post
How long ago did you buy the motor from him?
May 13th 2011. It hasn't been touched yet other than taking the generator out to inspect how bad the damage was. I originally thought I was going to do the teardown, inspect, and rebuild myself, but later decided I didn't feel confident enough to do it properly with no prior experience or anyone to guide me.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:47 AM   #12
maxgs

Member Garage

Hey Gary, long time no see. I'd have a conversation with the guy about his post and listen to what he has to say about it. Non-accusatory, just a conversation. Something like, hey I ran across this thread you wrote. Please explain it to me. Then wait for him to respond. Do it in person if you can.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:41 AM   #13
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
Hey Gary, long time no see. I'd have a conversation with the guy about his post and listen to what he has to say about it. Non-accusatory, just a conversation. Something like, hey I ran across this thread you wrote. Please explain it to me. Then wait for him to respond. Do it in person if you can.
+1
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:37 AM   #14
craigntx
team ftp

Feedback Rating: (21)

Bike(s):
all sold, wrecked, or stolen

you get what you paid for with used . been there done that with a junkyard trans for a 5.0 'stang.
take apart both motors, save whats within spec. buy what you need. do it right this time
Old 05-28-2012, 07:56 AM   #15
cedestech

Feedback Rating: (12)

FWIW, I have been in this EXACT same situation but on the other side. Purchased a bike that had been sitting for over a year from a aquaintance/friend. Dinked with it a bit and decided it wasn't for me. Flipped it fairly quick. Guy who bought it called back a week later to tell me the motor was jacked. I gave him half the money back to find a used motor to put in it. The entire deal actually ended up costing me money. I never called the aquaintence up because he either didn't know and it would have been uncomfortable or did know and it would have just me off.

Call the guy and ask. If he tells you to pound sand... lessen learned. That is what I chalked mine up to....
cedestech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:10 AM   #16
Bluestreak06
Maine-ah

Bike(s):
2011 Hayabusa
2006 GSXR-600 (sold)
1981 yamaha XS 650(sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Habernatho View Post
It's been a year since you bought it from him. I'd personally chalk it up as a loss.

I agree. Had you bought it last week, then yeah I can see getting something back. Personally, if I sold something to somebody over a year ago and they came back looking for their money, id tell them to get lost.

Now, Im not saying that what he did was right, seeing that he should have informed you of that. But like this happens everyday, and if you wait a year to do anything about it its not on him anymore. But thats just my opinion....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibitzer View Post
If you don't shake it after you pee the terrorists win.
Ben C.
Bluestreak06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:27 AM   #17
blueninja

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
None right now

If it was a year later i wouldnt do a refund. I would think in that time frame you might have hotrod or trash the motor looking for me to replacing it.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:56 AM   #18
craigntx
team ftp

Feedback Rating: (21)

Bike(s):
all sold, wrecked, or stolen

oh yeah, costas put up the vid tearing up the streets at night on his 10. i shared it here
http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...around+houston

gary, i've seen what you drive. you can afford to fix the 10
Old 05-29-2012, 07:22 AM   #19
dudewhrsmybike

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigntx View Post
gary, i've seen what you drive. you can afford to fix the 10
Oh yea? My 06 Model I bought 2 years ago for $13k? I must be ballin!!

Not relevant to the discussion, Craig.

It's GREEN, it's FAST, and it says Ninja on it
Old 05-29-2012, 07:29 AM   #20
dudewhrsmybike

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS

Member Garage

FWIW, when he contacted me yesterday, All I got from him was a bunch of...and I quote "I thought you woulda seen the post" "I dunno how you missed the post" "I could sworn you knew about the noises from Allen" and "I was sure you knew, and if you didn't, it was right there in the thread"

Really? It's clear that I didn't read the post because I never replied to it or made a comment regarding its content. That proof is there for everyone to see!
I replied to the OP, but never to the "knock" and "motor is toast" post. If I had seen that post prior to buying the motor, we would have never been having this discussion, because I probably wouldn't have even touched that motor!! It doesn't take a genius to figure out that there is a big difference between a "slight clatter/chatter" and 2 days later, "an extremely loud knock". Or maybe it does?
Surely that is something you would mention to someone buying said motor with just a known gen. failure and all other info and symptoms included in his OP (the one I for sure read) Or you dont mention the knock because 1. You just assume it is generator related and 2. you also just assume that I read the post (or heard) about the knock roughly 600 days before the transaction was made. What a bunch of assumptions.

Be careful buying from uninformed sellers, and strive to be an informed buyer.

It's GREEN, it's FAST, and it says Ninja on it

Advertisement