MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2012, 10:23 AM   #61
Joshua42007

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
06' GSX-R 1000

Can't wait to see the finished product! Tony does some good work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7cain View Post
That's the problem with customs, purists will shy away from something that wasn't intended by the manufacturer.
Well said
Joshua42007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Houston Police Project "Stingray" VicTOEmizer Off Topic 25 02-25-2015 02:18 PM
Project Veritas! How many "Gun Free" homes are willing to support the cause!? LOLZ Petro The Circus 6 01-16-2013 08:12 AM
Razer's answer to portable hardcore gaming. "Project Fiona" AiJay Off Topic 2 01-17-2012 05:47 PM
Update on G's "Wrecked" Bike AFS_Racing General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 01-19-2010 07:42 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-31-2012, 01:53 PM   #62
chixwithtrix
Moto Chick

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'15 Grom, '02 KTM65 SuMo
'15 Duke 690 (sold) '08 Ninja 250 (sold), '10 BMW S1000rr (sold) '02 RC51 (sold)
'09 & '05 R1, '07 CBR600 (all sold)
'08 Aprilia SXV550 (sold)
'01 RC51, '01 CBR929 (all sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
You can't PC over chrome, but any chrome shop can strip them back to raw alum for a minor charge.

I had mine done a couple years ago by Precision Powdercoating up in Spring; they handled it all... getting the chrome stripped and then PC.
I used to work for a welding shop who went through Precision and they do pretty good work. I don't think the price I was quoted included the chrome stripping.

You can PC over chrome, but not damaged chrome without iffy results. Problem with my wheels is the chrome is starting to come off near the center of the rear wheel. You can powdercoat over that, but the look and longevity might be compromised and I'm not spending $80 a wheel for iffy results.

Other problem with stripping chrome on aluminum is you can damage the aluminum. Since chrome is harder than aluminum, sandblasting can cause dips in the wheel where the media chewed away soft wheel aluminum around the hard chrome. I've also heard stripping the chrome electrically with an acid bath can harm the aluminum.

Which brought me to painting. After some research I found out it is very common to do, still need to see how people's rims are holding up to tire mounting and use.

There are a bunch of places online that talk about successfully painting rims that have damaged chrome. If it will hold up for a while I like the idea of doing more work on my end to save a couple hundred dollars instead of powdercoating and having to replace the bearings too. These bearings should have been replaced in the past since the wheels were chromed at some point.

Still need to do more research, but money saved for a good reason is always OK in my book!

Last edited by chixwithtrix; 05-31-2012 at 01:55 PM.
chixwithtrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:06 PM   #63
chixwithtrix
Moto Chick

Bike(s):
'15 Grom, '02 KTM65 SuMo
'15 Duke 690 (sold) '08 Ninja 250 (sold), '10 BMW S1000rr (sold) '02 RC51 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomzrex View Post
I don't know what you have been told about painting over chrome, but 8 out of 10 times it wont hold up for t, as for prep go ahead and try to sand the chrome sufficient enough for primer/sealer and paint you will probobly give up 30 minutes in. if you do finish my hats off to you. anyway if you get that far DO NOT USE DUPLICOLOR it will scratch right off of stitch. Use auto grade materials I like P.P.G. products but there other choices. after its sanded/scuffed I would use DP primer/sealer (its an epoxy primer) for better adhesion-follow instructions to A T. then top coat with a urethane single stage paint, or you can use a base coat/clear coat they will look great! but try not to chip or scratch the wheels because they could start to peel, For all that work I would recommend sending the wheels out and having the chrome removed chemically, then prepping and painting them. by the way I know you don't know me but i've been the Biz. for A few years (30) boy that dated me anyway I hope I helped without being to negative.And if you have any ?s for me be patiant i'm A 2 finger typer.
I haven't been told anything, but after doing research on forums and Google searches it looks like it is a very common process to paint over chrome, especially on old muscle cars. I do know that the internet is full of opinions are not all of them are correct, but it does look possible.

I have heard too many opinions on stripping chrome to know what is true and what is not. Some people say it should be done by sandblasting, others say chemically. Then others come back with no, you shouldn't do either because of blah blah and blah problems. Seriously, I'm so frustrated. A simple search on Google will render so many different opinions.

I have a lot of patience after painting my Aprilia's chassis, triples, and engine parts. If paint will hold up well on the wheels with backed up results I am willing to do it. If it isn't going to hold up then I will have to go with powder coating these stupid chrome rims however way I figure out is possible.

Good to know about the Duplicolor wheel paint and will keep that in mind if I end up painting.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:11 PM   #64
chixwithtrix
Moto Chick

Bike(s):
'15 Grom, '02 KTM65 SuMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
what r they going to do to the tank?

thats fixable?
They're going to get the dent out, bodyfiller it, and paint it.

Yes it is fixable, I just didn't want to spend the money to fix a tank if I could find one used for a decent price - which I can't. Used tanks are nearly $500 with no dents, and there is on for sale with dents for $300 and will still need repair.

I would fix this tank myself if I had the metalworking tools. I have a mig and tig welder, but I'm not willing to take the risk of welding on a gas tank to pull the dent.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:16 PM   #65
chixwithtrix
Moto Chick

Bike(s):
'15 Grom, '02 KTM65 SuMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPracer33 View Post
Good Luck with your build. I have had mine now for 4 years, wanted one ever since I got to try my friends. be careful on the plastics though. I have used a couple of those guys on different projects and have found 1 guy that is here in the U.S.A. that has some pretty decent stuff. here are a couple of links you might want to check out.
http://www.rc51parts.com/ Decent price on used parts
http://www.carlsalter.com/ He Has a Shop manule for your bike.
Quote:
I also have a guy that may be able to help you with stripping the crome off your wheels, and powder coating them. he is very good and cheep. pm me and I can get you to him.
I already came across RC51 parts, and thanks for the link to the shop manual!
Sent PM about the powder and chrome stripper, can't hurt to have another quote.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:40 PM   #66
chixwithtrix
Moto Chick

Bike(s):
'15 Grom, '02 KTM65 SuMo

Quote:
I have used a couple of those guys on different projects and have found 1 guy that is here in the U.S.A. that has some pretty decent stuff. here are a couple of links you might want to check out.
Is this the guy in Florida? http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-RC-51-...#ht_2437wt_825
Old 05-31-2012, 03:20 PM   #67
chixwithtrix
Moto Chick

Bike(s):
'15 Grom, '02 KTM65 SuMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch View Post
You can't PC over chrome, but any chrome shop can strip them back to raw alum for a minor charge.

I had mine done a couple years ago by Precision Powdercoating up in Spring; they handled it all... getting the chrome stripped and then PC.
Called Precision. $80 a wheel for powder coating, $50 a wheel to strip the chrome from their contact.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:40 AM   #68
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chixwithtrix View Post
Called Precision. $80 a wheel for powder coating, $50 a wheel to strip the chrome from their contact.
Sounds about right. Mine were peeling bad so I didn't have a bunch of options.

They came out VERY nice tho, so I guess it's up to you what it's worth in the long run.

Other option may be to upgrade the forks/suspension and use later model wheels.
Not sure what can be swapped on the RC but I've done similar on Suzukis.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:41 AM   #69
phantomzrex

Bike(s):
2004 Kawasaki ZRX1200R R.I.P.

Quote:
They're going to get the dent out, bodyfiller it, and paint it.

Yes it is fixable, I just didn't want to spend the money to fix a tank if I could find one used for a decent price - which I can't. Used tanks are nearly $500 with no dents, and there is on for sale with dents for $300 and will still need repair.

I would fix this tank myself if I had the metalworking tools. I have a mig and tig welder, but I'm not willing to take the risk of welding on a gas tank to pull the dent.
yea that tank should'nt be any problem to repair correctly,I'm sure your in good hands were you brought it. By the way A stud gun is the best thing to use for pulling the dent, its safe as long as you take precautions (stud gun or welding) The way I do it is remove the gas cap and the pet flush the tank with water, thuroughly dry it w/compressed air. then the trick is take an air hose with a regulator and a blow gun turn the air way down and tape the blow gun in a way that it's blowing air in the tank continuously just to make sure no fumes can possibly build up or stay in the tank, then you can weld, braise or use a stud gun while the air is blowing through the tank.No problems,Always better safe than sorry!
phantomzrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 04:50 AM   #70
phantomzrex

Bike(s):

Quote:
I used to work for a welding shop who went through Precision and they do pretty good work. I don't think the price I was quoted included the chrome stripping.

You can PC over chrome, but not damaged chrome without iffy results. Problem with my wheels is the chrome is starting to come off near the center of the rear wheel. You can powdercoat over that, but the look and longevity might be compromised and I'm not spending $80 a wheel for iffy results.

Other problem with stripping chrome on aluminum is you can damage the aluminum. Since chrome is harder than aluminum, sandblasting can cause dips in the wheel where the media chewed away soft wheel aluminum around the hard chrome. I've also heard stripping the chrome electrically with an acid bath can harm the aluminum.

Which brought me to painting. After some research I found out it is very common to do, still need to see how people's rims are holding up to tire mounting and use.

There are a bunch of places online that talk about successfully painting rims that have damaged chrome. If it will hold up for a while I like the idea of doing more work on my end to save a couple hundred dollars instead of powdercoating and having to replace the bearings too. These bearings should have been replaced in the past since the wheels were chromed at some point.

Still need to do more research, but money saved for a good reason is always OK in my book!
chicks,-disregard the internet on the chrome and contact A chrome shop, I do not think they would acid dip the wheels. As i'm sure you know when chrome is applied it is Electrostaticaly applied, to remove the chrome it is basically A reverse process and they acctually re-use the chrome it won't eat up your wheel at all.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:10 PM   #71
chixwithtrix
Moto Chick

Bike(s):
'15 Grom, '02 KTM65 SuMo

^ I called a local place and they said they wouldn't harm the aluminum so that is good to know. It's Precision's contact so they've been in the business for a while.

Still on the fence about the painting or powdering, we'll see how much $ I have left and go from there.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:28 PM   #72
chixwithtrix
Moto Chick

Bike(s):
'15 Grom, '02 KTM65 SuMo

I happily eat my previous words and just ordered a set of damaged OEM side fairings from the same seller on Ebay. Price was fair and I get to combine shipping, so win win.

Got some PMs back about the Moto Fairings Inc fiberglass street fairing set from my local forum and half the people had really bad experiences and the other half got a decent set. The good sets were pretty nice that I saw, but too hit and miss for me to trust. Found the OEM side fairings listed cheaper than others I've been watching so I jumped at the opportunity. A lot of work to fix, but at least I know they will fit well. Just got to keep an eye out for a front fairing.

Wrecked 2001 RC51 Project "Stitch"

Not a ton of work done since I last posted. Removed the exhaust, undertail and wiring, shifter, and left rearset. Unfortunately the $50 exhaust I was going to buy turned out to be round, not oval. Good news is should be able to get aluminum sleeves from Two Brothers instead of replacing the expensive Ti sleeves. Not a fan of the raw titanium color. Going to see how much it would cost to get the exhaust parts ceramic coated from a welding shop hookup I do graphics work for. If it is cheap enough the sleeves and tubing will be getting a clean coat of ceramic.

Went in halfsies with my fiancee and ordered the Eastwood Dual voltage powder coating setup to replace the Harbor Freight one we've been working with. Need to get the garage oven working so I can powder coat small items again. Planning on powdering the rearsets, brake brackets, and some other items satin black.

Actually thinking might go with a red/white scheme with white wheels. Different and clean. We'll see.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:16 AM   #73
Ares

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
Z-rex ZRX1200r
Ninjette 250ex - SOLD :'|
Blondie ZX6R - SOLD :'|

I'm sure I am not the first - nor the last to say this... But it has to be said:

hot girl, working on a bike, that probably races. If you're not a keeper, I don't know what a keeper would look like.

Props on everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
I got the hint and dropped to the back of the ranks just in front of Ares, who btw rocks the outta that 250.
Ares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:34 AM   #74
phantomzrex

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ares View Post
I'm sure I am not the first - nor the last to say this... But it has to be said:

hot girl, working on a bike, that probably races. If you're not a keeper, I don't know what a keeper would look like.

Props on everything.
DUDE, she just made reference to A Fiancee, I'm sure you'd have better luck hitting on A "hot girl,working on a gike" that is un-spoken for, just sayin.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:37 AM   #75
Perf_White_GT
Probably Supported Obama

Experience: 4 years

Captain saveahoe to the rescue.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:10 PM   #76
Ares

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
Z-rex ZRX1200r
Ninjette 250ex - SOLD :'|
Blondie ZX6R - SOLD :'|

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomzrex View Post
DUDE, she just made reference to A Fiancee, I'm sure you'd have better luck hitting on A "hot girl,working on a gike" that is un-spoken for, just sayin.
I'm not hitting on her. Just stating facts.

I did not read past the 1st page. Didnt know about the fiancee reference - but since she made the reference, she (and her fiancee) should take what I posted as a complement. That guy's got it made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios View Post
I got the hint and dropped to the back of the ranks just in front of Ares, who btw rocks the outta that 250.
Ares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:22 PM   #77
chixwithtrix
Moto Chick

Bike(s):
'15 Grom, '02 KTM65 SuMo

^ thanks! We met flying RC airplanes/helis, got into racing drift cars, now have moved on to bikes. My fiancée is the better designer and fabricator, but I take care of mechanical rebuilding. Here is an old vid of a custom engine swap in my old 240sx.

Picked up some CBR 1000rr wheels this evening. Happy I no longer need to deal with the chromies. Just need to buy some different bearings for the front wheel and machine a spacer.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:45 PM   #78
albertinhouston

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAU-8 View Post
I like the look of the front without all the bodywork. reminds me of a praying mantis, with just the headlights.

whatever you decide, im sure the end result will look great

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2
+1
albertinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:49 PM   #79
chixwithtrix
Moto Chick

Bike(s):
'15 Grom, '02 KTM65 SuMo

Last edited by chixwithtrix; 06-28-2012 at 11:54 PM.
chixwithtrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:05 AM   #80
loosenoose
veteran novice

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

Guys, i think this might be an elaborate troll. a good looking girl who is neck deep in projects and loves wrenching on them? i still just dont know...

lol

good update- now put that stuff on the rc
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement