MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #21
Soldaten

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2010 BMW F800 ST
YZ250 (sold)
BMW E30 Race Car
LeMons Race Car (burned)

Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motorcycle Safety Course haynesc78 General Discussion (Moto Related) 28 01-01-2013 12:40 PM
Motorcycle Safety Studies by State Kamario General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 07-13-2012 11:19 PM
motorcycle safety course derekvercher General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 04-21-2011 06:24 PM
motorcycle safety course jb8223 General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 04-18-2011 06:34 AM
State Safety Inspection specterunseen General Discussion (Moto Related) 41 03-10-2008 05:52 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-23-2012, 01:11 PM   #22
cedestech

Feedback Rating: (12)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaffeineRacer View Post
I think that it's not a single cause that anyone can point their fingers to. Helmet law requirements would reduce the number for certain, just like having a zero tolerance policy with alcohol and motorcycling, having a tiers license system so that people can't be idiots and have a 1k SS for their first bike, and actually making it illegal to text and drive or to talk using a non-handsfree device, as well as harsher punishments for those who cause accidents while doing so. There are a lot of different things that could be done unfortunately I have never seen anything done in any areas to try to reduce motorcycle fatalities so I feel that the statement quoted in the OP are empty. For example, road stripes are very slippery when wet for motorcycles, seems like a pretty simply fix, make ones that aren't, yet here we are and that hasn't been done.

I think the reason why car related fatalities have gone down is that cars are pretty safe these days. The technology has just really come a long ways. In addition to the fact that many vehicles have removed the driver from a lot of its functions reducing stupid human factor input. However, a motorcycle, well there isn't a whole lot of safety technology that can be put into it. It's up to the rider to wear their gear and ride smart, and its up to the drivers around them to be aware of their surroundings and respect the fact that there are motorcyclists on the road. Its an uphill battle for certain.

Also a comment on the study itself, I wonder what the change in fatality rate per rider or per driver was found to be. As stated above people are probably traveling fewer miles in cars and more miles on bikes so this could be a compounding factor skewing these numbers. I find government officials like to take the number which looks the best and report it with a total disregard to the validity of the statistical method used, its limitations, and its relevance in a particular application.
Well thought out and said.
cedestech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:08 AM   #23
CBRguyIZcool
UkrainianSicilian100%Nerd

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
H-D Sportster 48

Send a message via AIM to CBRguyIZcool
100% of motorcycle accidents were proven to involve a motorcycle of some kind
CBRguyIZcool is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement