MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2012, 09:38 AM   #1
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

the state of motorcycle safety

By Tom Costello
NBC News
A report released Tuesday by the Governors Highway Safety Association finds that no progress was made in reducing motorcyclist deaths in 2011, even as overall highway traffic deaths declined.

Based upon preliminary data for the first nine months of the year, from 50 states and the District of Columbia, GHSA projects that motorcycle fatalities remained at about 4,500 in 2011, the same level as 2010.

Meanwhile, earlier this month, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration projected that overall motor vehicle fatalities declined 1.7 percent in 2011, reaching their lowest level since 1949. Motorcycle deaths remain one of the few areas in highway safety where progress is not being made.

"It is disappointing that we are not making progress in motorcycle safety," said GHSA Chairman Troy Costales in a statement, "particularly as fatalities involving other motorists continue to decline. As the study notes, the strengthening economy, high gas prices, and the lack of all-rider helmet laws leave me concerned about the final numbers for 2011 and 2012. Every motorcyclist deserves to arrive at their destination safely. These fatality figures represent real people – they’re family, friends and neighbors."
Comparing the first nine months of 2010 with 2011, motorcyclist fatalities decreased in 23 states, with notable declines in many. On the other hand, 26 states and the District Columbia showed an increase in motorcyclist deaths.

The economy influences motorcycle travel in several ways. With the economy improving in 2011 and furthering strengthening in 2012, more people will have disposable income for purchasing and riding motorcycles. At the same time, rising gas prices may cause more people to choose motorcycles for transportation because of their fuel efficiency.

The Governors Highway Safety Association is a nonprofit association representing the highway safety offices of states, territories, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motorcycle Safety Course haynesc78 General Discussion (Moto Related) 28 01-01-2013 12:40 PM
Motorcycle Safety Studies by State Kamario General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 07-13-2012 11:19 PM
motorcycle safety course derekvercher General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 04-21-2011 06:24 PM
motorcycle safety course jb8223 General Discussion (Moto Related) 3 04-18-2011 06:34 AM
State Safety Inspection specterunseen General Discussion (Moto Related) 41 03-10-2008 05:52 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-23-2012, 09:50 AM   #2
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
I think its funny that the focus is still "lets wrap motorcyclists in bubble wrap" instead of "lets teach drivers how to SEE motorcyclists." CARS are safer because of airbags and the like, but DRIVERS are still retarded.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:51 AM   #3
Soldaten

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2010 BMW F800 ST
YZ250 (sold)
BMW E30 Race Car
LeMons Race Car (burned)

Want to improve motorcycle safety?

Test cagers for retardation and void their license/crush their cars when they fail the test.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:53 AM   #4
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Most accidents are single vehicle accidents caused by stupid riders
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:57 AM   #5
Stromtrooper
Trust me I know what I'm

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'08 Wee-Strom DL650
Trek OCLV 5200

Member Garage

Last edited by Stromtrooper; 05-23-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Stromtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:06 AM   #6
obed
TMGP Pimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

most fatalities on motorcycles are single vehicle accidents? I was not aware of that.
It is odd that the last two guys I know that were killed on thier bikes were single vehicle accidents and neither were wearing helmets and both died of head trauma.
oh and a side note, while neither were drunk, both had been drinking.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:07 AM   #7
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by obed View Post
most fatalities on motorcycles are single vehicle accidents? I was not aware of that.
It is odd that the last two guys I know that were killed on thier bikes were single vehicle accidents and neither were wearing helmets and both died of head trauma.
I don't have the stats, but I believe the statement is correct.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:19 AM   #8
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

50+% of motorcycle deaths involve alcohol
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:25 AM   #9
veraiconica

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 500r (sold)
2012 Ninja 1000 abs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
Most accidents are single vehicle accidents caused by stupid riders
75% of motorcycle accidents involved collision with another vehicle, usually a car. In the MAIDS report, the figure is 60%

at least that is was google turned up.
veraiconica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:29 AM   #10
Joshua42007

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
06' GSX-R 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
I think its funny that the focus is still "lets wrap motorcyclists in bubble wrap" instead of "lets teach drivers how to SEE motorcyclists." CARS are safer because of airbags and the like, but DRIVERS are still retarded.
+1
Joshua42007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:33 AM   #11
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

I said accidents. Not deaths. Think about it. It has to be right
Old 05-23-2012, 10:35 AM   #12
adrenalinjunky

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2005 kawi 636(Main squeeze)
04 crf50(The mistress)
03 636(sold)

I wear a helmet every where i go... now im not gonna say i wear a jacket and pants everywhere but u have got to protect ur head... road rash will heal... head trauma wont.. im not sayin its smart to not completely gear up but im ok with the risk.. but i feel like a helmet is a necessity .. im sure there is some crazy figure that shows how much ur chance of living in an accident increases by 100090% just by wearing a lid
adrenalinjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:48 AM   #13
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
By Tom Costello
NBC News
A report released Tuesday by the Governors Highway Safety Association finds that no progress was made in reducing motorcyclist deaths in 2011, even as overall highway traffic deaths declined.

Based upon preliminary data for the first nine months of the year, from 50 states and the District of Columbia, GHSA projects that motorcycle fatalities remained at about 4,500 in 2011, the same level as 2010.

Meanwhile, earlier this month, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration projected that overall motor vehicle fatalities declined 1.7 percent in 2011, reaching their lowest level since 1949. Motorcycle deaths remain one of the few areas in highway safety where progress is not being made.

"It is disappointing that we are not making progress in motorcycle safety," said GHSA Chairman Troy Costales in a statement, "particularly as fatalities involving other motorists continue to decline. As the study notes, the strengthening economy, high gas prices, and the lack of all-rider helmet laws leave me concerned about the final numbers for 2011 and 2012. Every motorcyclist deserves to arrive at their destination safely. These fatality figures represent real people – they’re family, friends and neighbors."
Comparing the first nine months of 2010 with 2011, motorcyclist fatalities decreased in 23 states, with notable declines in many. On the other hand, 26 states and the District Columbia showed an increase in motorcyclist deaths.

The economy influences motorcycle travel in several ways. With the economy improving in 2011 and furthering strengthening in 2012, more people will have disposable income for purchasing and riding motorcycles. At the same time, rising gas prices may cause more people to choose motorcycles for transportation because of their fuel efficiency.

The Governors Highway Safety Association is a nonprofit association representing the highway safety offices of states, territories, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico.
I bet there were many less cagers on the road on 2011 due to high fuel prices.

Did the study factor that in?
urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:54 AM   #14
CaffeineRacer

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'03 SV650

I think that it's not a single cause that anyone can point their fingers to. Helmet law requirements would reduce the number for certain, just like having a zero tolerance policy with alcohol and motorcycling, having a tiers license system so that people can't be idiots and have a 1k SS for their first bike, and actually making it illegal to text and drive or to talk using a non-handsfree device, as well as harsher punishments for those who cause accidents while doing so. There are a lot of different things that could be done unfortunately I have never seen anything done in any areas to try to reduce motorcycle fatalities so I feel that the statement quoted in the OP are empty. For example, road stripes are very slippery when wet for motorcycles, seems like a pretty simply fix, make ones that aren't, yet here we are and that hasn't been done.

I think the reason why car related fatalities have gone down is that cars are pretty safe these days. The technology has just really come a long ways. In addition to the fact that many vehicles have removed the driver from a lot of its functions reducing stupid human factor input. However, a motorcycle, well there isn't a whole lot of safety technology that can be put into it. It's up to the rider to wear their gear and ride smart, and its up to the drivers around them to be aware of their surroundings and respect the fact that there are motorcyclists on the road. Its an uphill battle for certain.

Also a comment on the study itself, I wonder what the change in fatality rate per rider or per driver was found to be. As stated above people are probably traveling fewer miles in cars and more miles on bikes so this could be a compounding factor skewing these numbers. I find government officials like to take the number which looks the best and report it with a total disregard to the validity of the statistical method used, its limitations, and its relevance in a particular application.

Last edited by CaffeineRacer; 05-23-2012 at 10:57 AM.
CaffeineRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:55 AM   #15
DavidGsXr

Bike(s):
2004 Gsx-r600

& the wrecked their car the year before
DavidGsXr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:47 AM   #16
customminds
Houston Wedding Photograp

we need a good train mass transportation system in houston. moto's aren't the way to go.
customminds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:22 PM   #17
CaffeineRacer

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'03 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by customminds View Post
we need a good train mass transportation system in houston. moto's aren't the way to go.
I think this is something all of american needs. Coming from Chicago where you can go weeks without ever having to drive a car/ride a bike, Houston is quite appalling. Unfortunately American decided to put all of its stock into roadways and well I think they were wrong.
CaffeineRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:34 PM   #18
WarrenW

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
95 RF 900 - Dead and Gone
96 ZX-11 - Blown up (Should have done the oil mod)
95 GSXR 750 - long gone
92 VFR 750 - Wrecked by "good friend"

Did you notice that the accident picture they used for that article was of a sport bike?

http://openchannel.msnbc.msn.com/_ne...in=usnews&lite
WarrenW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:39 PM   #19
Bamtech

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2003 Gsx-R600 Alstare
2013 Gsx-R1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
Well said
Old 05-23-2012, 12:50 PM   #20
Phydeaux_Yoshi

Bike(s):
2011 Kawasaki Versys
2007 Honda Shadow

According to the Hurt report:

75% of accidents were found to involve a motorcycle and a passenger vehicle, while the remaining 25% of accidents were single motorcycle accidents.

"In the single vehicle accidents, motorcycle rider error was present as the accident precipitating factor in about two-thirds of the cases, with the typical error being a slide-out and fall due to overbraking or running wide on a curve due to excess speed or under-cornering."

"Almost half of the fatal accidents show alcohol involvement" and "injury severity increases with speed, alcohol involvement and motorcycle size."

In the multiple vehicle accidents, the driver of the other vehicle violated the motorcycle right-of-way and caused the accident in two-thirds of those accidents.

The MAIDS report tends to support most of the Hurt Report findings, for example that "69% of the OV [other vehicle] drivers attempted no collision avoidance manoeuvre," suggesting they did not see the motorcycle. And further that, "the largest number of PTW [powered two-wheeler] accidents is due to a perception failure on the part of the OV driver or the PTW rider.

Last edited by Phydeaux_Yoshi; 05-23-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Phydeaux_Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement