MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

View Poll Results: How much education you got?
Some High Scool 3 7.89%
High School 11 28.95%
Trade School 4 10.53%
Bachelor's degree 16 42.11%
Graduate Degree 4 10.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2007, 03:11 PM   #21
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
AA FTW....going back to skool here this month pending registration, etc.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
old skool CB what?? mx6er General Discussion (Moto Related) 42 05-10-2011 08:37 AM
Skool Zones...... VicTOEmizer Off Topic 20 04-04-2011 08:36 AM
Old Skool vs. New Skool ileono918 Taking it to the Track 40 02-25-2009 12:53 PM
old skool! RACER X General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 10-10-2006 10:36 AM
some old skool paniro187 Off Topic 8 10-29-2005 03:03 AM
Advertisement
Old 01-05-2007, 03:14 PM   #22
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterTrash
what? no associates?

, I did forget associates. And I'll catch on that from my brother because he's got one! :confused1
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 03:48 PM   #23
Steve O Chap
Big Hero

Bike(s):
1995 Suzuki RF600 - Sold
1993 Honda Shadow - Sold
2001 CBR F4i - Sold

Associates in Business Management... Broome Community College (in NY)

Bachelors in Marketing... State University of New York at Brockport

8 credits towards my Masters. But I'm not persuing it anymore right now. Maybe later... :laughing6
Old 01-05-2007, 04:48 PM   #24
Sassy Chassis
Not a value-added poster

Bike(s):
2015 Ducati Monster 821

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve O Chap
8 credits towards my Masters. But I'm not persuing it anymore right now. Maybe later... :laughing6
Oh yeah...I forgot I started my MS-CIS but decided to scrap it...for now
Old 01-05-2007, 09:43 PM   #25
Red

Member Garage

Is it just me or do a large # of the people who spend yrs. in school to get all these degrees not apply them to the job or jobs they end up with. I work with alot of people from a trade school or schools that seem to go to school just to have something to do with no real plans on what they are going to do after they get out of school. Why bother? I think education is great, but for alot of skills out there it is so over rated. For those who go to school for ever for a degree and apply that to recieve the pot of gold at the other end awesome. But for those who waste years in school to later become a worths POS and someone elses responsability because all they know how to do is go to school shame on you "I see this way mor often unfortunatly"
Just my 2 cents
Old 01-05-2007, 10:03 PM   #26
Derek Steptoe
aka MULATTO

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
:-(

Send a message via AIM to Derek Steptoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red
Is it just me or do a large # of the people who spend yrs. in school to get all these degrees not apply them to the job or jobs they end up with. I work with alot of people from a trade school or schools that seem to go to school just to have something to do with no real plans on what they are going to do after they get out of school. Why bother? I think education is great, but for alot of skills out there it is so over rated. For those who go to school for ever for a degree and apply that to recieve the pot of gold at the other end awesome. But for those who waste years in school to later become a worths POS and someone elses responsability because all they know how to do is go to school shame on you "I see this way mor often unfortunatly"
Just my 2 cents
Yep I see your point.
It's true that some people are like that. But how many people are worthless that don't have a degree? I think worthless people are worthless regardless of their education. But an education is invaluable in my eyes. And a lot of degrees are useless. But, the experience of obtaining the degree teaches people a lot about critical thinking, problem solving, how the world/society works, discipline, time management, etc etc. It's not all useless. My old Freshman English I teacher taught us to write papers based on our personal analysis of our opinions on various topics. It made us understand why we believe what we do, and in some cases it made us realize we're wrong in some things we think. Do I remember anything about English or how to write correctly? no! But I now look at things a lot different because of that class. To me, that's just as valuable a lesson as the class topic itself. Yeah math seems useless, but it teaches students multiple ways of coming up with an answer. That principle is applied elsewhere in life. AANNNDDD I fear this thread is useless too. :laughing6:laughing6 oh well.

I believe every person should obtain a degree and experience college. Not everyone is able to though. :confused1 Just my two cents.

/rambling
Derek Steptoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 10:37 PM   #27
TLLuvr

Bike(s):
A few of them

BSME and I would love to go back and get a masters just can't find the time now. Don't want to wait to much longer, feel like I am losing my memory already.
TLLuvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 10:37 PM   #28
TLLuvr

Bike(s):
A few of them

Now what were we talking about?

jk
TLLuvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 01:43 AM   #29
Sassy Chassis
Not a value-added poster

Bike(s):
2015 Ducati Monster 821

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red
Just my 2 cents
True...not all people go into the field of what it was they actually studied in college unless it's specific, i.e. doctor or engineer or something like that. I have found that a lot of people in the support functions of my "field" do not have degrees that specificially relate to the profession (like me!). However, it seems that in order to get your foot in the door of good companies these days you pretty much need to have a degree in SOMETHING. Anything...even it if is a degree in basket-weaving. I guess having completed a degree shows that you are motivated and at least have some sort of skills that you can apply to the job/career.

Oh, and getting an education is a pricey endeavor. I highly suggest mooching off parents (I didn't get to) if you can. Otherwise student loans will eat you up or you will spend 20 years going part-time :eh: :BangHead:
Old 01-07-2007, 09:49 AM   #30
atizzle

Bike(s):
'03 SV650S

Send a message via AIM to atizzle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red
Just my 2 cents
For many people, the experience of going away to college is as much a learning experience as the academic side of things. People find out who they are, and broaden their "world view" by interacting with different people. That said, if you spend 100k+ on school and come back home and dont have a decent job, you essentially wasted your time.
atizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 08:24 PM   #31
karahleigh945

I have a BA in communications with a focus on radio/TV. (IDIOT!!!) :BangHead:

At least I work in the industry I wanted, but dammit I'll be paying off my student loans until I'm ::gag:: 40.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:14 AM   #32
Mala Lingua
Optimistic Cynic

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'06 600RR (Mogee)
Phifty (Fuglee)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulatto
And a lot of degrees are useless. But, the experience of obtaining the degree teaches people a lot about critical thinking, problem solving, how the world/society works, discipline, time management, etc etc. It's not all useless. My old Freshman English I teacher taught us to write papers based on our personal analysis of our opinions on various topics. It made us understand why we believe what we do, and in some cases it made us realize we're wrong in some things we think. Do I remember anything about English or how to write correctly? no! But I now look at things a lot different because of that class. To me, that's just as valuable a lesson as the class topic itself.
Ahhh Mulatto, you’ve warmed the cockles of my crusty little teachin’ heart. I’m glad you had the chance to experience an instructor who understood the incredible potential of the English classroom. I also work to get my guys to “think about what they think about and to know why they think what they do.” Otherwise, all unexamined ideas are simply decisions made by others. I’m often irritated—angered really--by English instructors who are high-centered on the grammatical and mechanical aspects of writing. There’s nothing worse than a purportedly educated individual writing with all the slickness of Strunk and White but without a thought or original idea to write about. Unfortunately, too much focus is placed on simplistic composition without any understanding of rhetoric. I just love it when students who are assigned the 750 word argumentative paper insist on writing about issues that simply defy neat and tidy resolution. They never quite grasp--or refuse to accept--how ridiculous it is to grapple with, and presume to solve, some of our nastiest social and moral puzzles in the space of a few pages.

I tried to avoid this thread because it represents a Pandora’s Box for me. I erased about a page of unrestrained rant. Be thankful--there’s nothing worse than rabid, pre-semester, bitter instructor vitriol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulatto
Do I remember anything about English or how to write correctly? no! But I now look at things a lot different because of that class.
Oh, and Mulatto--you must remember something because you didn't write "alot." Gawdddddddddddd I hate that damned nonword!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :BangHead:
Mala Lingua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:12 AM   #33
AliceInChains02

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
nada

all i know how to do is go to school
AliceInChains02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:30 AM   #34
Mala Lingua
Optimistic Cynic

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'06 600RR (Mogee)
Phifty (Fuglee)

Okay. . . it's an hour later, and I realize how awful my post is. I feel the need to qualify the last bit since it seems to slide more towards a stab at students. My issue really is with educational philosophy and some educators. I don't want what I've written to be discouraging to any current or potential students-that's not what I'm about.

Teaching is just. . .glorious suckage. :eh: Slap and tickle. . .if that can be bent just a little for my current purposes of explanation. I'm just up in arms this morning because I gotta put on the mask, go in and make nicey nicey with administrators who want me to increase retention and the quality of instruction: numbers that are, by nature, inversely proportionate. Gotta be Mrs. Instructor, pusher of doggerel and champion of the articulately superficial. Piteous I. Woe is me.

I'd much rather ride my new little fiddy and become intimate with the pavement some more! :icon_bigg Sigh. Vacation is over.
Mala Lingua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:45 AM   #35
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

To cool for school!

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement