MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Off Topic (everything else) > Off Topic
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2007, 05:12 PM   #21
Squeaky

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
DL1000K3
XR400R

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to Squeaky Send a message via Yahoo to Squeaky
Well, I was shopping for a camera myself and had some of these same requirements. Santa brought me an Olympus FE-190, but it doesn't have burst mode. Has lots of other settings (maybe too many - it has a setting for taking pics of food!) and it's real quick on/off.
"Forget not that the Earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Kahlil Gibran
Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another Camera Test Reduxalicious General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 09-25-2013 12:20 AM
Camera help please!!!! ELSpurgeO Off Topic 29 12-04-2011 08:19 PM
Camera Osiris102406 General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 10-28-2010 10:17 AM
Camera Help samv1368 Off Topic 20 04-26-2010 10:48 PM
New Camera MONEYMIKE Off Topic 15 03-09-2007 06:20 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2007, 05:26 PM   #22
IndyRC
Mutant

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky
For bike pics, you'll want a camera with quick on/ready for that first shot. If it takes too long to 'boot up', you'll miss the funny candid stuff.

Time from one pic to another - like a burst mode or very quick save. Helps to be able to take shots of a bike a few times through a wide turn, or to take burst shots as they come into the turn so that you get the progression of the lean, etc.

Battery - do you want to recharge or buy batteries? Standard AA, AAA, or camera-specific batteries?

...Just a few things to think about.
I especially agree with these points. I have a 4mp Nikon (bought my gf a Nikon for xmas too) that I love, but it is a little older and takes longer to get ready than the new ones. I think Sony makes one that comes on almost instantly. Just play with them in the store to check that out.

Time from pic to pic: Isn't that kinda determined by the card too? I was thinking the more expensive cards write faster, or maybe they just read faster. I'm not sure but something to look into.

Batteries: I like standard batts cause you can buy replacements almost anywhere. If you go with standard batts, the Energizer Lithium batts last a long time. It's a personal choice but I'm not fond of rechargables.
IndyRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 08:34 PM   #23
Squeaky

Bike(s):
DL1000K3
XR400R

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRC
Batteries: I like standard batts cause you can buy replacements almost anywhere. If you go with standard batts, the Energizer Lithium batts last a long time. It's a personal choice but I'm not fond of rechargables.
I chose an internal rechargeable because when I go on extended road trips, I only have to find a power source, not a store that carries the battery I need.

But like you said, all personal choices. I tend to migrate toward long-distance touring and go with convenience on the road.
"Forget not that the Earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Kahlil Gibran
Old 01-05-2007, 02:12 AM   #24
IndyRC
Mutant

Bike(s):
None

Quote:
I chose an internal rechargeable because when I go on extended road trips, I only have to find a power source, not a store that carries the battery I need.

But like you said, all personal choices. I tend to migrate toward long-distance touring and go with convenience on the road.
Just curious, how long do they last?
Old 01-05-2007, 02:38 AM   #25
Squeaky

Bike(s):
DL1000K3
XR400R

Member Garage

Quote:
Just curious, how long do they last?
Well, it varies. Any of them will run down faster the more you use the LCD for taking pics or reviewing, of course.

A random sample:
-Nikon Coolpix L3 uses 2 AA and it says it lasts up to 200 pics.
-HP Photosmart 425 has an internal that recharges on the docking station - but who wants to take up all that space on the road with a docking station?
-Olympus FE-190 (mine) is an internal Li-Ion, but I can't find the specs on how many pics it can take on a full charge.

Another thing I forgot to mention in my previous post - the ability to take video as well as still pics, and a mic/speaker in the unit. With a 1G memory card, I can get about 30 minutes of video at good quality resolution.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:46 AM   #26
IndyRC
Mutant

Bike(s):
None

Quote:
Well, it varies. Any of them will run down faster the more you use the LCD for taking pics or reviewing, of course.

A random sample:
-Nikon Coolpix L3 uses 2 AA and it says it lasts up to 200 pics.
-HP Photosmart 425 has an internal that recharges on the docking station - but who wants to take up all that space on the road with a docking station?
-Olympus FE-190 (mine) is an internal Li-Ion, but I can't find the specs on how many pics it can take on a full charge.

Another thing I forgot to mention in my previous post - the ability to take video as well as still pics, and a mic/speaker in the unit. With a 1G memory card, I can get about 30 minutes of video at good quality resolution.
I have a Nikon 4mp coolpix and with 2 AA lithium batts I can take a lot more than 200 pics, I think the package says around 1000???

Anyway, you say it's easy to find a power source, well, can you get a car charger? What about on a bike? How long does your camera take to charge fully? Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing, I'm genuinely curious for the next time I purchase a camera. Thanks.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:54 AM   #27
Squeaky

Bike(s):
DL1000K3
XR400R

Member Garage

Quote:
I have a Nikon 4mp coolpix and with 2 AA lithium batts I can take a lot more than 200 pics, I think the package says around 1000???

Anyway, you say it's easy to find a power source, well, can you get a car charger? What about on a bike? How long does your camera take to charge fully? Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing, I'm genuinely curious for the next time I purchase a camera. Thanks.
I'm certainly no expert, and this is the first 3+ MP camera I've had.

I wired a power source to the battery on my bike that has an SAE end. I use it mostly for the GPS, but I also have a 12V cigarette lighter adapter. If I really need power, I have a 350W inverter, but it's bulky.

What I do is plug into a wall socket while I'm stopped for a meal. They usually have no issues and I ask for a table near an outlet. I also have an adapter that screws into a standard light bulb socket and can take a 3-prong cord. It's about the size of a golf ball, and is VERY handy when camping and you need a little juice.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:57 AM   #28
IndyRC
Mutant

Bike(s):
None

Quote:
I also have an adapter that screws into a standard light bulb socket and can take a 3-prong cord. It's about the size of a golf ball, and is VERY handy when camping and you need a little juice.
hahaha I like that idea. Thanks for the info!
Old 01-05-2007, 03:23 AM   #29
Squeaky

Bike(s):
DL1000K3
XR400R

Member Garage

And just so I can use my new camera....

123011xz5
Old 01-17-2007, 09:38 PM   #30
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

Moody wins the prize!!! my wallet is now $850 lighter due to a new NikonD40
Old 01-17-2007, 09:58 PM   #31
therky42

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2006 VTX 1300C, YZ 250

Nice camera! But that sounds like a little more than you originally wanted. But nice camera.

Advertisement