MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2007, 12:18 PM   #41
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody
Thank You, I was feeling very confused for a moment.
I'm always confused.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should we ban guns morvegil The Circus 77 07-22-2011 04:06 PM
Ban!!!! BigComfy The Circus 4 01-26-2010 07:15 PM
BAN???? JDUB Off Topic 77 12-03-2008 06:22 PM
Ban vs Warning Pyrofallout Forum Updates & Feedback 39 11-05-2008 11:14 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2007, 01:08 PM   #42
Ulric
Dirty Old

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

I'm gonna apologize for not using an accurate "quote" in my post and then make a rude comment in regards to simple, frigging reading comprehension.

I should have quoted what I was referring to... but I was responding to
NoSquid's comment "I'm glad your friends are still around, but lots of helmets save lives, and they're mostly not Arais."

It was NOT an attack on your statements/commentary Moody. I was adderssing NoSquids comment in regards to mostly non-aria based helmets saving lives while providing no sort of emperical data. It's a BS opinion in a statement that implies it as fact. As opposed to your statement in which you state your feelings and what it is based on.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:11 PM   #43
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric
I'm gonna apologize for not using an accurate "quote" in my post and then make a rude comment in regards to simple, frigging reading comprehension.

I should have quoted what I was referring to... but I was responding to
NoSquid's comment "I'm glad your friends are still around, but lots of helmets save lives, and they're mostly not Arais."

It was NOT an attack on your statements/commentary Moody. I was adderssing NoSquids comment in regards to mostly non-aria based helmets saving lives while providing no sort of emperical data. It's a BS opinion in a statement that implies it as fact. As opposed to your statement in which you state your feelings and what it is based on.
I'm sorry then. It just seems like I have been getting called out alot for simple things lately. Thanks for clearing that up.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 01:14 PM   #44
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Np, it's all good Moody. :-)

I'ts kind of the nature of the beast when dealing with messageboards.
I just figure if someone is going to state/claim something like

"but lots of helmets save lives, and they're mostly not Arais."

then they should be providing some sort of supporting data/evidence.

Last edited by Ulric; 01-04-2007 at 01:16 PM.
Ulric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 01:19 PM   #45
NOsquid

Feedback Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor575
You guys need to research on how helmets are tested. Dot and snell test production batches of helmets. If a helmet fails from a certain production run, that run is scrapped and another batch is tested. I guarantee that every manufacturer has batches that fail every now and then. Kinda like cars. they are all made the same but every 1 in 100 is a complete lemon. Just how it is. That doesn't mean that every one of that model produced is subject to that same failure.
Actually no, batch testing is a European thing, and while some people will have you believe that entire runs of helmets are scrapped if they find an error (to make you feel better about buying their helmets) I am very skeptical. I emailed BSI and they pretty much told me that was bullshit. You can submit a batch for retesting. I would expect the same from ECE.

DOT is done on the honor system. There is no pretesting, the manufacturer is responsible for making a helmet that passes the test. The random compliance tests are done after the fact with helmets bought off the shelf. When there is a problem, the manufacturer is notified, they talk about what needs to be done etc.. Recalls are rare.

Snell also does no batch testing, they do random sample testing. Also off the shelf, after the fact. They don't publish results like DOT has. They do actually have pretesting though, before the helmet is released they test a few models they get from the manufacturer.
NOsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 01:23 PM   #46
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOsquid
Actually no, batch testing is a European thing, and while some people will have you believe that entire runs of helmets are scrapped if they find an error (to make you feel better about buying their helmets) I am very skeptical. I emailed BSI and they pretty much told me that was bullshit. You can submit a batch for retesting. I would expect the same from ECE.

DOT is done on the honor system. There is no pretesting, the manufacturer is responsible for making a helmet that passes the test. The random compliance tests are done after the fact with helmets bought off the shelf. When there is a problem, the manufacturer is notified, they talk about what needs to be done etc.. Recalls are rare.

Snell also does no batch testing, they do random sample testing. Also off the shelf, after the fact. They don't publish results like DOT has. They do actually have pretesting though, before the helmet is released they test a few models they get from the manufacturer.
I usually stick with models that have been proven on the street and track. Just my opinion though.

Old 01-04-2007, 01:27 PM   #47
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:

Well I guess i would be wrong then. But consider this. While dot doesn't require batch pulling, it does require a new helmet to pass the testing BEFORE it is issued a dot rating. So the profile helmet was new for 2006. If it failed the dot test before it was realesed, then it posed no harm to the general public. All new products need to have the bugs worked out prior to release.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:30 PM   #48
del240z
MH's #1 HOBO

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
None at the moment..... :-(

As far as the scorpion helmets go, I'm not saying they are bad. I just said that there are some shops out there in the houston area that wont sell them or the parts I need for them. There was a rumor about a recall on some of their models and now it's hard to find what I need for them. I like the comfort and fit and the "anti-fog" system they have implemented for it. Cant tell you how many times I've worn a HJC, KBC or a SHOEI and had it fog up on me. I jsut wonder how the scorpion line will fair come the next couple of months? I've never worn an Arai, but wouldnt mind trying one out. But, when I go to buy a helmet I first and foremost worry about SAFETY. Then, comfort, fit, etc. etc.

If you keep looking in the pantry and finding out its empty, eventually you go to a restaurant.
del240z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 01:33 PM   #49
NOsquid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric
Np, it's all good Moody. :-)

I'ts kind of the nature of the beast when dealing with messageboards.
I just figure if someone is going to state/claim something like

"but lots of helmets save lives, and they're mostly not Arais."

then they should be providing some sort of supporting data/evidence.
You're right, it's speculation. My apologies, I'm the first to prefer something more scientific.

But definitely it's an educated guess. I doubt that Arai make up more than 10% of helmets, if that. I certainly didn't mean to imply that Arai didn't save lives, only that there are lots and lots of helmets out there and they all save lives. The guy I was responding doesn't want to read the document and doesn't care what it says because he has seen Arai save his friends. I would contend that this is not a reasonable approach.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:35 PM   #50
NOsquid

Quote:
Well I guess i would be wrong then. But consider this. While dot doesn't require batch pulling, it does require a new helmet to pass the testing BEFORE it is issued a dot rating. So the profile helmet was new for 2006. If it failed the dot test before it was realesed, then it posed no harm to the general public. All new products need to have the bugs worked out prior to release.
No, there is no prerelease testing with DOT, only random compliance checks after production has begun. Snell does require prerelease testing.

The Profile was not new for 2006, I own a 2005 model. Production helmets were bought off the shelf and tested.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:35 PM   #51
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Ya'll want to know about helmet recalls? Here is a link. BTW kbc had a helmet recalled. Cheaper is better right?
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...callsearch.cfm
Old 01-04-2007, 01:37 PM   #52
NOsquid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del
As far as the scorpion helmets go, I'm not saying they are bad. I just said that there are some shops out there in the houston area that wont sell them or the parts I need for them. There was a rumor about a recall on some of their models and now it's hard to find what I need for them. I like the comfort and fit and the "anti-fog" system they have implemented for it. Cant tell you how many times I've worn a HJC, KBC or a SHOEI and had it fog up on me. I jsut wonder how the scorpion line will fair come the next couple of months? I've never worn an Arai, but wouldnt mind trying one out. But, when I go to buy a helmet I first and foremost worry about SAFETY. Then, comfort, fit, etc. etc.
The anti-fog is a gimmick dude, why would you expect any less from a company with a cartoon hottie in their ads? It works, sure, but you can buy your own anti-fog treatment (Cat ), a Fog City shield, or a breath guard and make any helmet not fog.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:38 PM   #53
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

It's a solid point in that regards NoS...

As witch stated, there's no real 'data' that suggests any particular brand/model over another in regards to actual 'street' performance.
So I'd have to say his is reasonably as valid a selection method
as anyone elses. It comes down to individual choice around
self imposed 'acceptable' risk and assessment.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:41 PM   #54
NOsquid

Quote:
Ya'll want to know about helmet recalls? Here is a link. BTW kbc had a helmet recalled. Cheaper is better right?
Yes the TK9 I believe, it had problems in DOT testing initially and eventually I guess this prompted the recall, after they researched it further. But still recalls are rare.

HJC also had a recall for a rebranded Z1R helmet that they manufactured.

Price isn't really a determining factor.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:43 PM   #55
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

I am not reading the document because I am not qualified to decipher it and give out recommendations based on it. All I was saying is I have seen Aria perform well under extreme conditions and save the lives of those in in that condition. I have seen and personaly test Shoei under some pretty extreme conditions. I am still here for now. The real thing is that we have a thread saying "Ban Aria" when I have yet to hear any real evidence of why other then this single test. I am not saying buy an Aria. In fact my next track helmet will be a Suomy and that comes from making a decision based on how well they perform for others on the track. And, I try to get that information from a reputable source.

Old 01-04-2007, 01:44 PM   #56
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Yes the TK9 I believe, it had problems in DOT testing initially and eventually I guess this prompted the recall, after they researched it further. But still recalls are rare.

HJC also had a recall for a rebranded Z1R helmet that they manufactured.

Price isn't really a determining factor.

No price isn't, but there are no higher end helmets on the recall list. fulmer, hci, hjc, vemar and zamp all had helmets on the list. hmmmm...
Old 01-04-2007, 01:45 PM   #57
NOsquid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody
I usually stick with models that have been proven on the street and track. Just my opinion though.
That really doesn't work, you need scientific tests.

I've seen people who have fallen off of bikes wearing next to nothing and come out fine. Their Tshirts and flip flops were "proven" but I'd rather put my trust in something more precise.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:47 PM   #58
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
That really doesn't work, you need scientific tests.

I've seen people who have fallen off of bikes wearing next to nothing and come out fine. Their Tshirts and flip flops were "proven" but I'd rather put my trust in something more precise.
Do your homework then. There is loads of info out there on the web. It took me 2 weeks of studying to find that out.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:49 PM   #59
del240z
MH's #1 HOBO

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
None at the moment..... :-(

Quote:
The anti-fog is a gimmick dude, why would you expect any less from a company with a cartoon hottie in their ads? It works, sure, but you can buy your own anti-fog treatment (Cat ), a Fog City shield, or a breath guard and make any helmet not fog.

Was just sayin....dont be an a$$hat.......

If you keep looking in the pantry and finding out its empty, eventually you go to a restaurant.
del240z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 01:49 PM   #60
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

We need to come up with a 'Bill Joe ' helmet testing system... :-)

Independent study, get a grant and find various ways to tort...erm, test helmets...
(Here, put this on and we're gonna hit you with this here 4x4...)...

Advertisement