MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2007, 11:44 PM   #21
nvmy04r6

Feedback Rating: (6)

Arai is still great helmet. Check this out.

http://www.araiamericas.com/news_9.html
nvmy04r6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should we ban guns morvegil The Circus 77 07-22-2011 04:06 PM
Ban!!!! BigComfy The Circus 4 01-26-2010 07:15 PM
BAN???? JDUB Off Topic 77 12-03-2008 06:22 PM
Ban vs Warning Pyrofallout Forum Updates & Feedback 39 11-05-2008 11:14 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-03-2007, 11:45 PM   #22
jrock
straight shooter

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2003 Kawi ZX9r Green Machine-sold
1995 Honda CB 1000 Big One

Send a message via Yahoo to jrock
good to see you back, Big C. PTL!
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 12:04 AM   #23
BigC
AKA Big Daddy

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
88"HURRICANE 1000 ( crashed ) / 98"Z-71 1500 4x4 / 06" Nissan Sentra Spec - V 6 Speed / ZX-7 Ninja

^^^^^thanx bro....R U still over seas? May 's blessing be upon you and your family bro....
BigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 12:16 AM   #24
jrock
straight shooter

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2003 Kawi ZX9r Green Machine-sold
1995 Honda CB 1000 Big One

Send a message via Yahoo to jrock
pm sent
"I get a total charge out of inspiring others to follow their dreams and not to fear change. Embrace it. Realize that money isn't the end-all, be-all. What is important, what really has value, is Time. As motorcyclists, we all face increased risks on the road, and on the track. Do something with your time; don't have a bag full of regrets when the train comes to a stop. "
jrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 12:17 AM   #25
Longnguyen

chu don need to stinkin helmet.............
Longnguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 12:23 AM   #26
NOsquid

Some of you guys like Arai too much. It failed a test, period. It wasn't a pop quiz, the DOT standard has been the same for 30 years. Arai knew about the test, put a DOT sticker on their helmet, and it didn't pass. Who cares if it was just one helmet? They only tested 4 helmets. I don't like those odds.

"Arai is different. Arai designs the best helmet we can for comfort, fit, and a host of other criteria. Then we submit it for safety standards acceptance (which we pass with room to spare)"

http://www.araiamericas.com/What_is_Arai.html

Guess not.

And before I get attacked personally, I spend more on gear than 99% of people, and I own the Arai in question. BTW breaking news--the shields suck!
NOsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 12:24 AM   #27
mammothmc

I call BS on a scorpion recall. Our shop sells a ton of them & we know most of their reps personally. I've never heard a thing about it.

The only Scorpions that failed testing were when the tests were run at below freezing temps........don't think that's a big concern for me since my will not be riding.
mammothmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 12:26 AM   #28
NOsquid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammothmc
I call BS on a scorpion recall. Our shop sells a ton of them & we know most of their reps personally. I've never heard a thing about it.

The only Scorpions that failed testing were when the tests were run at below freezing temps........don't think that's a big concern for me since my will not be riding.
I think you are right that there was no recall. It failed the same test the Arai did, though more severely, and also a penetration test.

The freezing thing isn't so relevant in my opinion. It's a known test that they are supposed to pass, and by putting a DOT sticker on their helmet they are pledging that they do pass. It's damaging to their credibility, makes me wonder what else was overlooked.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:03 AM   #29
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

I thought the scorpion recall was bs, otherwise we wouldn't be selling as many as we do, and scorpion would've wanted all of the helmets in question back. I wouldn't be suprised to see them surpass arai in next years JDpower and associates consumer satisfaction reports.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:35 AM   #30
NOsquid

Satisfaction is a pretty crude measure for a helmet though.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:39 AM   #31
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOsquid
Satisfaction is a pretty crude measure for a helmet though.
arai has been number one for the past eight years. . .i would think consumer satisfaction and helmet quality would go hand in hand? but what do i know? either way, arai, scorpion, bell, whatever helmet you have, it's better than not wearing a helmet at all.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:19 AM   #32
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Aria helmets have saved several of my friends lives. Not sure how you would consider that an over priced piece of safety equipment?

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 11:48 AM   #33
NOsquid

Did you read the government document? It failed a DOT inspection. That doesn't mean it'll never work, it means Arai failed a test that it knew about up front and has known about for 30 years. Speaks to the company's credibility, that's all.

I'm glad your friends are still around, but lots of helmets save lives, and they're mostly not Arais.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:54 AM   #34
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Did you read the government document? It failed a DOT inspection. That doesn't mean it'll never work, it means Arai failed a test that it knew about up front and has known about for 30 years. Speaks to the company's credibility, that's all.

I'm glad your friends are still around, but lots of helmets save lives, and they're mostly not Arais.
Nope, didn't read it and don't care. I have seen the crash results of several helmets and tested quite a few myself. Was just stating that Aria has saved several of my friends.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:00 PM   #35
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:

You guys need to research on how helmets are tested. Dot and snell test production batches of helmets. If a helmet fails from a certain production run, that run is scrapped and another batch is tested. I guarantee that every manufacturer has batches that fail every now and then. Kinda like cars. they are all made the same but every 1 in 100 is a complete lemon. Just how it is. That doesn't mean that every one of that model produced is subject to that same failure.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 12:02 PM   #36
Ulric
Dirty Old

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

"I'm glad your friends are still around, but lots of helmets save lives, and they're mostly not Arais."

Care to provide research that shows accident listings demonstrating what helmets what helmets were involved by brand and model? and how they faired in those?
Old 01-04-2007, 12:05 PM   #37
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric
"I'm glad your friends are still around, but lots of helmets save lives, and they're mostly not Arais."

Care to provide research that shows accident listings demonstrating what helmets what helmets were involved by brand and model? and how they faired in those?
That is your speculation. There is no research on what helmets are involved in certain crashes. No one knows that data. If you don't like arai don't buy one then.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:09 PM   #38
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric

Seriously, what is the ****ing deal with people lately and responding to my comments as if I need to prove something. It was a statement towards the quality I have personally witnessed from Aria helmets. I can also make a statement towards Shoei and how I have trashed 3 of them myself but, I currently own a Scorpion and I will let you know how well it crashes if that point comes around. As for stats and all that bullshit I do not ****ing care at the moment and I am not here to go do research for you or anyone else. Get ****ing over it! It was a simple statement on my behalf not a federal funded research campaign.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:16 PM   #39
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody
Seriously, what is the ****ing deal with people lately and responding to my comments as if I need to prove something. It was a statement towards the quality I have personally witnessed from Aria helmets. I can also make a statement towards Shoei and how I have trashed 3 of them myself but, I currently own a Scorpion and I will let you know how well it crashes if that point comes around. As for stats and all that bullshit I do not ****ing care at the moment and I am not here to go do research for you or anyone else. Get ****ing over it! It was a simple statement on my behalf not a federal funded research campaign.
You notice that people who make comments like that are usually very uneducated on the matter. They base their opinion on what their friends wear and say. Sure some cheaper helmets are capable of doing the job. Most people buy a helmet based on a paint job. People, it is your head that will take a beating if you go down. Do your own research and decide for yourself what Your head is worth to you. I own 2 kbc helmets and 2 shoeis. The kbc helmets are collecting dust. They are . I think i will turn them into my cart racing helmet. The comfort and build quality of a shoei rocks.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:18 PM   #40
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchdoctor575
You notice that people who make comments like that are usually very uneducated on the matter. They base their opinion on what their friends wear and say. Sure some cheaper helmets are capable of doing the job. Most people buy a helmet based on a paint job. People, it is your head that will take a beating if you go down. Do your own research and decide for yourself what Your head is worth to you. I own 2 kbc helmets and 2 shoeis. The kbc helmets are collecting dust. They are . I think i will turn them into my cart racing helmet. The comfort and build quality of a shoei rocks.
Thank You, I was feeling very confused for a moment.

Advertisement