MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2012, 12:53 PM   #1
RayBusa
Live Full & Die Empty

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
06 Busa Street & Track
09 Yammy R1 Track
04 Gsx-r 600 in progress

Triple Tree Pinch Bolt MISSING

So I decided to look over my R1 Track bike because i was bored and BAM I look my left top triple tree pinch bolt that holds the forks ITS COMPLETELY GONE NO BOLT AT ALL so I look at my right one it backed itself out halfway holy I guess I forgo:t to safety wire these 2 bolts Lesson learned always check your bike out and look over everything after a TD these bad boys will shake everthing loose thank most of everything else is safety wired.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20120517_121028.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	56461   Click image for larger version

Name:	20120517_121000.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	56462  

Last edited by RayBusa; 05-17-2012 at 12:55 PM.
RayBusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GSXR TOP TRIPLE PINCH BOLT Jason_Canuck General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 08-30-2011 12:39 PM
Need some help with 954 lower triple tree Coonassme2 General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 09-17-2009 02:23 PM
HELP: I need a Source for a Custom Triple Tree. FlipSideUp General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 08-05-2009 10:42 AM
Triple tree clamp bolt zac5876 How To's and Q & A's 1 06-21-2008 04:45 PM
TRIPLE TREE D_1STUNNA General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 01-23-2008 10:59 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-17-2012, 01:27 PM   #2
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Location: 500 yards away...and watching you in the crosshairs...
Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

These bolts are not required to be safety wired in the CMRA, or any other racing or track day organization that I know of. They don't generally have a history of coming loose and backing out on their own. Use blue Loctite 242 threadlocker on them and toque them properly and they'll likely be fine. The ones I've seen go missing could most likely be attributed to insufficient torquing.

That said, I'm okay with safety wiring just about everything. I get asked all the time, "Do I need to wire this? Do I need to wire that?" In the event that wiring isn't required for the application in question, my answer is always the same: "You don't have to wire that to satisfy tech inspection or the rulebook, but I'm in favor of safety, so feel free."
Old 05-17-2012, 01:45 PM   #3
bluewave18
Safety Third

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

The Japs over build everything anyway
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:46 PM   #4
RayBusa
Live Full & Die Empty

Bike(s):
06 Busa Street & Track
09 Yammy R1 Track
04 Gsx-r 600 in progress

Thanks Racer997 that's exactly what I did loctite 242 blue and torqued it down properly. Ive already had axle bolts pinche bolts and caliper bolts back out cause of TD's that's why I safety wired both track bikes and my Busa call it overkill but I would rather be safe and have a piece of mind nothing that these won't back out. I would hate for someone else to get hurt cause my lack of safety or not caring.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:03 PM   #5
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

I never have those types of problems... Pinch bolts, axle nuts, caliper bolts etc.?? You shouldn't be constantly having to retighten that stuff. Safety wire or not.

I dont use loctite on any of those bolts you mentioned.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:12 PM   #6
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
it's good habit to give your bike a once over and make sure everything is tightened to spec.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:13 PM   #7
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Location: 500 yards away...and watching you in the crosshairs...
Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

It's not common in street bikes, Brandt, but it does happen. Keep an eye on your dirt bike because those things are way more notorious for raining parts.

Before this turns into a thread about Loctite, Vibratite, lock washers or locking nuts, let me point out that Loctite, Vibratite, lock washers and locking nuts are not equivalents for safety wire. Sooner or later someone's gonna ask, "Can I use a lock nut on my [part that's required by the CMRA's rulebook to be safety wired] in place of safety wire?" The answer is "No." It's not allowed at NASA or with Airframe and Powerplant folks, either.

Carry on.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:30 PM   #8
RayBusa
Live Full & Die Empty

Bike(s):
06 Busa Street & Track
09 Yammy R1 Track
04 Gsx-r 600 in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
I never have those types of problems... Pinch bolts, axle nuts, caliper bolts etc.?? You shouldn't be constantly having to retighten that stuff. Safety wire or not.

I dont use loctite on any of those bolts you mentioned.
i only had these types of issues when i didnt know how to work on my bike and took it to a local bike shop that i shall not name. I dont use loctite on any of those bolts i mentioned earlier i just put a tad bit on the ones that backed out on the triple clamp i saw this morning and torqued it down

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpaint View Post
it's good habit to give your bike a once over and make sure everything is tightened to spec.
i usally do right after a TD but this time i got tired and lazy and crashed out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer997 View Post
It's not common in street bikes, Brandt, but it does happen. Keep an eye on your dirt bike because those things are way more notorious for raining parts.

Before this turns into a thread about Loctite, Vibratite, lock washers or locking nuts, let me point out that Loctite, Vibratite, lock washers and locking nuts are not equivalents for safety wire. Sooner or later someone's gonna ask, "Can I use a lock nut on my [part that's required by the CMRA's rulebook to be safety wired] in place of safety wire?" The answer is "No." It's not allowed at NASA or with Airframe and Powerplant folks, either.

Carry on.
im asumming you might have ran into this kind of problem
Old 05-17-2012, 04:16 PM   #9
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer997 View Post

Carry on.
Oh yea.. Ive already lost bodywork, brushguard and clutch lever perch bolts on the dirt bike. :(
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement