MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
CaffeineRacer

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'03 SV650

Opinions and advice on painting turn signals

CaffeineRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Turn signals hoss1158 How To's and Q & A's 6 07-26-2012 12:59 PM
Turn Signals. SeaBasss General Discussion (Moto Related) 25 01-07-2010 10:07 AM
Turn signals just went out.. Shinobi General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 10-18-2009 08:27 AM
Turn signals cbr600F4 General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 08-09-2009 12:48 AM
flushmount turn signals.. micho General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 11-29-2005 02:59 AM
Advertisement
Old 05-16-2012, 10:12 PM   #2
xtelevisionset
Think Fast

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki GS500 2002

Lol what's the difference again?
xtelevisionset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:15 PM   #3
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

I like the all black.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:21 PM   #4
CaffeineRacer

Bike(s):
'03 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I like the all black.
Yeah I think that's what I'm going to go with. I wet sanded the silver and it cleaned up the line, but I still didn't like it all that much.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:42 AM   #5
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard

all black
Old 05-17-2012, 08:15 AM   #6
Stromtrooper
Trust me I know what I'm

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'08 Wee-Strom DL650
Trek OCLV 5200

Member Garage

on your first spill you'll be visiting this thread again and laughing. That being said I like the black too
Stromtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:50 AM   #7
CaffeineRacer

Bike(s):
'03 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromtrooper View Post
on your first spill you'll be visiting this thread again and laughing. That being said I like the black too
Eh I've already had one with the stock turn signals on the bike which are about 6 inches longer and they didn't even get scratch so I think they're small enough (about the size of your thumb) that they won't get touched if I tip over.

I went with the black. Hit them all with one more round of wet sanding and three more coats of paint and they turned out really well. Hopefully the paint holds up the the elements.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:51 PM   #8
Renzo
I do not consent

Feedback Rating: (13)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
r6

Member Garage

All black
Old 05-17-2012, 11:24 PM   #9
phantomzrex

Bike(s):
2004 Kawasaki ZRX1200R R.I.P.

paintimg

What do you all think? If I could paint a cleaner line would you like the silver more?

3M makes a tape for painting stripes called "Fine Line Tape" it is a blue plastic tape with a clean sharp edge, when removed after painting it leaves a straight clean edge of paint body shops use it. BTW I like the black, but what if you painted A double silver stripe around the turn signal stem near the mounting point? maybe A 1/4" wide silver spaced by A 1/4" black then A 1/8" silver stripe the rest black that would help tie in body color, or a 1/8"silv. 1/4"blk. 1/8 silv. 1/4" blk. 1/8" silv. in other words, three 1/8" silver stripes around the stem using 1/4" gaps between the stripes that would be black.
phantomzrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:10 AM   #10
CaffeineRacer

Bike(s):
'03 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomzrex View Post
What do you all think? If I could paint a cleaner line would you like the silver more?

3M makes a tape for painting stripes called "Fine Line Tape" it is a blue plastic tape with a clean sharp edge, when removed after painting it leaves a straight clean edge of paint body shops use it. BTW I like the black, but what if you painted A double silver stripe around the turn signal stem near the mounting point? maybe A 1/4" wide silver spaced by A 1/4" black then A 1/8" silver stripe the rest black that would help tie in body color, or a 1/8"silv. 1/4"blk. 1/8 silv. 1/4" blk. 1/8" silv. in other words, three 1/8" silver stripes around the stem using 1/4" gaps between the stripes that would be black.
That's a good idea. I hadn't thought about doing that. I'll have to think about that one. Also thanks for the tip on the tape. I can never figure our. When is it best to take the tape off? Right away or after the paint cures?
Old 05-18-2012, 01:28 AM   #11
phantomzrex

Bike(s):
2004 Kawasaki ZRX1200R R.I.P.

stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaffeineRacer View Post
That's a good idea. I hadn't thought about doing that. I'll have to think about that one. Also thanks for the tip on the tape. I can never figure our. When is it best to take the tape off? Right away or after the paint cures?
You can remove the tape either time but right after you paint be careful because if the paint is real wet when you pull the tape strings of paint could stretch and fall on the black but usually only when using A spray gun w/auto grade paint. Rattle can should be no prob.. If you wait untill it is dry, which I think is best ,just make sure it is scuffed well so the silver does'nt peel or pull up w/tape. You can also prep it well paint it black let it cure (A few hours --- overnight) and use automotive pin stripe tape, put it on live with it a day or two if you don't like it peel it off and try something else. You can find pinstripe tape at auto paint supply or parts house-auto zone o-reilly etc...
phantomzrex is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement