MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2012, 02:01 PM   #61
jwreck

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
06 Speed Triple-sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfy View Post
I just had a guy right next to me on BW8 driving a brand new Lincoln slowly drift toward me. No signal, no headcheck, or even mirror check (from looking at the guy's head). The scary thing was, my instinct was not to brake, but to move over to the next lane. Now I had time to do my head check and signal before the lane change, but I really need to self-evaluate WHY is it that I didn't just lightly squeeze that brake lever to give myself more time & options.

If I had backed off, I could've easily - and safely - manuvre around traffic to pass the guy. 2 minutes later, I could be 1/4 mile ahead.

I need to re-train my instincts.
Maybe you don't want to brake because you don't want a truck enema? I'm always paranoid that the people behind me aren't going to realize I'm braking and run right up my .
Passing this along CL ad iDreaM General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 08-25-2012 05:10 PM
PASSING LAMPS KEITH HUBBARD Cruisers Lounge 8 09-25-2009 05:09 PM
passing in the same lane? epofhouston General Discussion (Moto Related) 22 05-11-2009 11:07 PM
thick fog does not slow down dumbass cagers , be carefull this morning OMEGA General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 03-19-2009 09:24 AM
Advertisement
Old 05-16-2012, 02:07 PM   #62
Joshua42007

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
06' GSX-R 1000

Quote:
I just had a guy right next to me on BW8 driving a brand new Lincoln slowly drift toward me. No signal, no headcheck, or even mirror check (from looking at the guy's head). The scary thing was, my instinct was not to brake, but to move over to the next lane. Now I had time to do my head check and signal before the lane change, but I really need to self-evaluate WHY is it that I didn't just lightly squeeze that brake lever to give myself more time & options.

If I had backed off, I could've easily - and safely - manuvre around traffic to pass the guy. 2 minutes later, I could be 1/4 mile ahead.

Your not alone on this one. The good thing is that you've identified your own problems/mistakes and are willing to change/correct them - Some people either don't know or don't care about theirs.
Joshua42007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:22 PM   #63
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:

Sorry.. I would have had to speed up to his window and tap on it to get his attention
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:22 PM   #64
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

I thought about honking my horn to get his attention, but I sure as heck was not going to wait around hoping for him to swerve back into his lane. Besides, I find that sometime people react a bit too drastically when you honk at them in a situation like that.

As for not wanting a truck enema, that's very true in general. I usually try to be in a position with as much "buffer" behind me as I possibly can, especially on fwys. In this case though, the guy was drifting real slow, so I wouldn't have to test the ABS on my C14. A gentle squeeze would've been all that's necessary.

Having been rear ended 5 times (all in cages and none were my fault), in which 2 of my vehicles were totaled, I am paranoid about constantly checking my six. So much so that I put ZX10R (lobster claw) mirrors on my RSV (see my avatar). I avoid tail gaters like the plague. So I tried my darnest to avoid getting caught with a F-350's grill riding my @ss.

Last edited by Volfy; 05-16-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:16 PM   #65
debit_debit
Dat photoshoop

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2007 Suzuki Gsx-r 600
2005 Suzuki Gsx-r 600
1986 Honda VF500F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hung View Post
crazy. His bike kept going and his leg is def screwed. He had boots though luckily and his other gear probably helped a lot.
Yeah, his leg probably would've been completely severed if he just wore shorts. And it wouldn't have been a clean cut, so no re-attachment.

Hope he regains at least partial function of that leg.
debit_debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:01 PM   #66
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua42007 View Post

Did you see the 2nd video on the same page? wow
Yeah, wow for sure. Dude was an acrobatic hoss.

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:08 PM   #67
CraigRR
CMRA # 147

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2009 Honda CBR 1000RR ABS
2011 EX250NinjaR
2001 Yamaha TTR-L (sold to Jimrad)
2015 KTM RC 390 CUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
Now, that would be using the brakes, not gassing it....wouldn't it?

Think the incident can be summed up as...when it comes to E-peens on the road, the bigger vehicle wins.
I can always avoid a situation with a wrist twist, or two fingers. If that isin't enough I do a hot pit to get away. I can do circles on freeway ramps all day long. I have extra time
Old 05-17-2012, 10:59 AM   #68
KEITH HUBBARD
JOKERMAN

Bike(s):
1300 V STAR YAMAHA
KZ 650 KAWASAKI
HONDA CB 550
TS125 SUZUKI
HARLEY DAVIDSON 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_gsxr600 View Post
I didn't watch the video, but there are 's everewhere cutting brothers off.
Yep , the whole world over.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:16 AM   #69
Guitar Man
Keep moving!!!!>>>>>>>>>>

Bike(s):
2013 Suzuki V Strom DL650 22,000 miles
09 Yamaha FZ6 59,651 miles (RIP)
07 Yamaha FZ6 39,668 miles (RIP)
73 Triumph Tiger 750
Cannondale Quick CX4 (Pedal Powaa!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_gsxr600 View Post
I can always avoid a situation with a wrist twist, or two fingers. If that isin't enough I do a hot pit to get away. I can do circles on freeway ramps all day long. I have extra time
You think like I do. I am always willing to miss my exit or take one to get away from situations. Even if it makes me late for work it's well worth it.

I try to remain constantly aware of what is going on around me at all times. And I try to never be in anyones blind spot for longer than I have to. If I feel boxed in on the freeway I will accelerate and get out of a potential situation before it even has a chance of happening. There's no time for daydreaming or flirting with the girls on a bike.

One thing I don't like doing is wearing an I-Pod. I want to hear the squeeling tires and other noises going on around me. The fewer distractions the better.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:59 AM   #70
KEITH HUBBARD
JOKERMAN

Bike(s):
1300 V STAR YAMAHA
KZ 650 KAWASAKI
HONDA CB 550
TS125 SUZUKI
HARLEY DAVIDSON 50

Got to give the guys props for having on his gear & wearing it correctly.
His head took a real pounding from the rails ,but the helmet stayed in place .
Hope he is alive & fully recovered .
After watching that vid , no way would I ride without a helmet & full gear.
Old 05-17-2012, 12:57 PM   #71
da1hobo
Local Hobo

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
77 Honda CT125 - sold
1995 Vulcan 800A - sold
2011 KLR650E

I have nothing better to do so lets break this video down a bit.

First, we clearly see the Mazda cutting across in front of the motorcycle. The rider apparently just doesn't notice the crazy mazda.
part1

The rider gets on the brakes but no very hard apparently. The bike isn't pitching forward almost at all.
part2

The bike is still on the brakes trying to maneuver outside the car.
part3

Now the bike is completely clear of the car but he is still on the brakes, and he's not turning.
part4

And he collides with the wall still holding the brakes. I couldn't see a wheel lockup and it didn't look like he was braking hard.
part5

Yes. Its the mazda's fault. But I believe the rider could have paid more attention and possibly seen the mazda sooner to brake hard to avoid entering the same space in a lane. He was also clear of the mazda at one point but held the brakes and just drove right into the wall instead of leaning harder to correct his course.
da1hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:06 PM   #72
xtelevisionset
Think Fast

Bike(s):
Suzuki GS500 2002

Totally a recoverable situation I agree.
xtelevisionset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:52 PM   #73
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by da1hobo View Post
Yes. Its the mazda's fault. But I believe the rider could have paid more attention and possibly seen the mazda sooner to brake hard to avoid entering the same space in a lane. He was also clear of the mazda at one point but held the brakes and just drove right into the wall instead of leaning harder to correct his course.
Welcome to the wonderful world of target fixation and countersteering..

The more he looked at the rail and tried to turn away, the more he went into it.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:13 PM   #74
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by da1hobo View Post
I have nothing better to do so lets break this video down a bit.

First, we clearly see the Mazda cutting across in front of the motorcycle. The rider apparently just doesn't notice the crazy mazda.part1

i disagree, he knows Mazda is cutting across, he's just trying to beat him to the same spot.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:26 PM   #75
Bounce305
The Brasileiro!!!!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
08 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
i disagree, he knows Mazda is cutting across, he's just trying to beat him to the same spot.
so you really think the cager is not a at fault here?? not say all the fault there was things the rider could have done to avoid it yes but the cager is the primary wrong person here... yeah he can careless because nothing happened to him but it was his fault 100% imo
Old 05-17-2012, 02:51 PM   #76
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

its down to percentages, cager is responsible, but not 100%

and way back, dunno if its true or not, but if you're not physically in the accident, you're really not in the accident. you might be the cause, but if your not hit, are you part of the accident. maybe the LEO's or Wack may give their legal opinion vs i-net folklore.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!

Last edited by RACER X; 05-17-2012 at 02:54 PM.
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:20 PM   #77
xtelevisionset
Think Fast

Bike(s):
Suzuki GS500 2002

Regardless of legality, a rider must be able to remove themselves from any danger they may face.

This is why I wouldn't ride a can am.
xtelevisionset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:17 PM   #78
Scorch
Born to Run

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2008 Suzuki V-Strom 650
1990 Suzuki DR250S
1986 Suzuki GV1200 Madura
1975 Suzuki GT380

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaffeineRacer View Post
Yeah I'd say so. That didn't look to good. His head played that guard rail like a xylophone. I love to how the cager just keeps on going like it didn't notice the bike he just plowed into. What a jackass.

Also did you see how far that bike went after he fell off of it!! that was like another 1/4 mile further!!

Hope the rider recovers.
I just saw it on a traffic cam in Toronto, it's still going!

Seriously, that rider screwed up, he should have backed off after the 6 second mark and could have avoided that.
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:41 PM   #79
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

I was involved in an accident back in '97. I was following an old '70s pickup on the inside lane of a 4-lane street with center divider, when a car cut in front of the pickup from the outside lane all the way across to make a u-turn. The pickup screeched to a stop. I screeched to a stop. The minivan behind me rear-ended me and pushed me into the pickup.

The minivan driver came out screaming and yelling about the car that caused the whole thing, but it was long gone.

Cop came and ended up giving the minivan driver a ticket for "failure to maintain safe following distance". Poor sap's insurance paid me and the pickup driver's claims.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:59 PM   #80
Manaomen
wheeeee!

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
'11 BMW S1000RR
stolen - '06 R1 Raven
sold - '08 Sportster 883/1200
sold - '00 R6
sold - '01 Bandit 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by theManofRussia View Post
Why is that Russian guy rocking a mullet
They call it the "dragon" and think it is cool...
Manaomen is offline   Reply With Quote