MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Best Honda atv for trails/mountains?

I have been looking for a rancher 4x4 for sale, but a part of me thinks the trx700xx may be a better choice for trail riding and steep incline mountain roads? which of these atv's would excel at this type of riding? I will not be using this for work, merely trail riding in the Ozark mountains and creek beds. the trails can get pretty rough and rocky.
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yamaha vs Honda - ATV's Petro General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 03-06-2012 05:33 PM
Tracks and Trails for ATV Riding magzx12r Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 12 11-28-2011 05:10 PM
Trails, atv tracks, etc? casey10 Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 0 07-03-2011 06:50 PM
ATV Trails? sunshyn General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 01-03-2011 06:03 PM
ATV Trails. mr_joe Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 6 05-18-2010 12:42 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-13-2012, 10:29 AM   #2
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

hrm a lot of people say this honda atv really sucks... lol. I imagine the reliability is not as good with this quad, or maybe the Independent rear is not suited well for certain riding?
Old 05-14-2012, 01:00 PM   #3
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

No experience with these 700xx's in here?

Last edited by Petro; 05-14-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:21 PM   #4
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

Trackdays: 10+

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
I know Tony915 had a Honda quad that he swore by.
Not sure if it was that particular model.

I remember seeing a vid between a 2wd trx against a 4wd rancher style quad running thru some mixed terrain woods and the rancher left it in the dust.
Your gonna want 4wd to do any kind of climbing.
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:44 PM   #5
magzx12r

Feedback Rating: (5)

Can Am makes a "sporty" 4WD called the Renegade. Check it out.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:28 AM   #6
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

Ya I guess the 4x4 makes sense...

I think the renegade is cool but I'm a bit of a Honda fan boy in regards to reliable machines.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:40 AM   #7
AstroGlide

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 6 years

I ride sport quads all the time. However, for anything other than racing/riding the trails fast Can-Am has taken over the market. If you're going to buy any type of quad other than a sport quad then it should be a Can-Am. I love Hondas....I had a supercharged and fully built Civic Si....I have an F4i right now.....but I like to invest my money so if I ever got a utility quad it would be the Can-Am. They are just as reliable as a Honda but way more powerful and way more bang for your buck. Honda has hit or miss reliability in their quads. The trx 450 (450's are what I am always around) has just now gotten away from top end issues. For a few years their 450 was not much faster than their 400ex and the head had issues with flattening out and needing new cams after a short amount of hours...valves re-done and a lot of other issues. They had to redesign the quad and the new ones are okay but for years their 450 was garbage. As far as utility quads go the Honda Rincon was the only quad they had that could possibly match up with Can-Am as far as power goes. They stopped making this a couple years back so it's getting kind of hard to find them. If you're going to get a Honda the Rincon is very powerful. I would go Can-Am without a doubt though for what you're needing. (unless I found a Rincon in good shape)

Last edited by AstroGlide; 05-15-2012 at 11:44 AM.
AstroGlide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:52 AM   #8
AstroGlide

Experience: 6 years

Also, as far as the TRX 700xx goes.....a lot of people consider that quad to be a flop. It was meant to be a very powerful sport-type quad but the independent rear suspension meant it wasn't reliable on the track and trails when you would need it to slide in the turns. It had issues with rolling so a lot of people didn't buy them. However, that was because it was designed to be more of a "race" type bike and failed in that aspect. It is a decent quad with a lot of low end grunt and does well with traction. Any 4x4 quad you get will not be as fun in more fast paced trails. Any of my 450's will smoke a utility quad on a trail that can be taken with momentum. However climbing with any 2wd atv can be a concern. You can use judgement on what type of hills you're climbing and see if you'd need 4 wheel drive or not. I've never had as much fun on a utility quad than a sport quad but i'm a little biased.
AstroGlide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:50 PM   #9
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

How do the 700xx's hold up in terms of reliability?
Old 05-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #10
zpooch

Bike(s):
2000 XR650R
2002 Suzuki DRZ 400e
2001 Kawi ZRX1200R
2005 Speed Triple (Traded) 2009 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V (sold)
2000 Monster 900Sie (sold) 2002 RC51 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0opstlnksal0t View Post
How do the 700xx's hold up in terms of reliability?
Well you can make it to be what you want but that quad has won the Baja 1000 a few times.
zpooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:03 PM   #11
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

Ya the Baja winning past of the 700 is what makes me think it would be a reliable trail blaster... I know the 450's Honda put out were not the most reliable. But I've never been let down with any of my Honda's this is why I will probably never own anything else... even If there are better
Old 05-16-2012, 02:12 PM   #12
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

trx700xx looks extremely capable for being a 2wd race quad...

Old 05-16-2012, 02:38 PM   #13
zpooch

Bike(s):
2000 XR650R
2002 Suzuki DRZ 400e
2001 Kawi ZRX1200R
2005 Speed Triple (Traded) 2009 Moto Guzzi Griso 8V (sold)
2000 Monster 900Sie (sold) 2002 RC51 (sold)

Yeah it's a great trail quad. Comfy suspension and good power
zpooch is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement