Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2012, 10:38 AM   #1
Feedback Rating: (0)

Arrow Goldwing vs. K1600 GT for Commuting?

I am thinking of going with either the Goldwing or BMW K1600 GT as my next bike. I will use it to commute into downtown about four times a week, 40 miles round trip. I would definitely like to do long road trips, but would only be a couple a year.

I loved the R1 I had, just not practical for commuting. I only ever road it out in country roads. I did not like the Victory Vegas I had. Too slow and bulky, even for a performance cruiser.

I can't imagine a more comfortable bike than a Goldwing, but what's it like as far as maneuverability and city riding?

I plan to test ride both this summer, but would like others advice and experience.

jeremy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
March Bike of the Month Enter Here >>>>> Patrick General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 02-26-2015 11:14 AM
August Bike of the Month Enter Here >>>>> Patrick General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 08-02-2014 10:55 PM
November Bike of the Month, Enter Here>>>> Patrick General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 10-26-2013 08:08 PM
BM k1600 GT & GTL INLINE 6 morvegil General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 10-07-2010 01:16 AM
Funny>>>> Knight rider in spanish evobusa7 General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 08-28-2009 01:18 PM
Old 05-11-2012, 10:48 AM   #2
Hook 'em!

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:50 AM   #3
I got slow

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Originally Posted by bun1t View Post
Shelnutt thinks mechanics should work for free
pinball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:51 AM   #4

1993 BMW R100GSPD
02 CR250R

Why the flying brick and not an oil head? Seems more comparable to a Goldwing.
Drumboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:25 AM   #5
Squid Killer

Trackdays: 10+

FZ1, Ducati Monster, R6, Gold Wing, Seca 2, TTR230, EX 250 and Metropolitan

The Wing will cost you less to maintain. Its easier to ride than an R1 also. I commute on both. I had a Wing many years ago and sold it and looked into the BMW. Once I did the homework on costs, I bought another Wing.
Riding Instructor

Squid Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:11 PM   #6
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Trackdays: 1

'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

The Wing is more comparable to the K1600GTL. The K1600GT is meant to go against Concours 14, FJR1300, and ST1300, but I suspect the BMW is priced on a different tier than buyers of these other sport tourers are willing to stomach. This is certainly the case for me. If I am gonna spend the $$ on a K1600GT, I might as well fork over a few $K more and get the GTL.

I love C14 as a commuter and can definitely see the GT in a comparable role. I used to look at the Wing as "the old man's bike", but it is looking better and better the older I get. The electric reverse would have been great on my last trip out to the 3sisters, where I had to park on some gravelly dirt roads.

Still, I can't get over the fact that ABS is optional on the Wing, and you have to spend close to $30K to get a package with it. Traction Control and ABS comes standard on the K1600GTL, which is a much more of a digital age design. The Wing is old-school with push button everywhere. No right or wrong, just different schools of thought.

In any case, if you are spending this much money on a commuting rig, you obviously can afford the maintenance cost of either ride. I wouldn't worry about manuvrerability, either. Obviously, they are both far heavier rigs than your R1, but they are also much more comfortable as well - both in terms of the rider ergonomics and all the luxury features. Even the Wing is surprisingly sporty, if you are so inclined to ride it that way. But really though, few people buy them to drag knees.

Keep your R1 for your Friday commute, afte you've been on the big rig all week. That's what I do with my ape. It's fun, refreshing and makes me glad to be back on the Sport Tourer come Monday.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:16 PM   #7

Experience: 2 years

2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000

The BMW has some nice technology with the adaptive headlight and big LCD but it's more an upgraded sport tourer than a luxury tourer like the Goldwing.

If you crave long distance comfort for commuting, I would go with the Goldwing or look into cruiser tourers like Kawasaki's Voyager or the Victory Cross Country Tour.
jin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:39 PM   #8
Kilted Basterd
Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

one thing I've noticed commuting on a fully faired bike ('87 Yamaha Venture, so may be totally different) is that I miss the wind. the shielding is nice when it's 40 deg. out, but I find myself uncomfortable in traffic when it's 70, because I just don't get the air flow I'm used to.
Keeping the "F-U" in "fun"
Jae is offline   Reply With Quote