MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Information > Events, Meets and Rides
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2007, 10:50 PM   #21
Htown1000
Bleed the Block

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Red and Black Gixxer 1000

Man you wasn't b.s.-ing about that.. That was a well spent $25 bucks !!!
Htown1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any rides? SimplyJay Cruisers Lounge 0 12-22-2013 12:08 PM
Afternoon rides? Mr.D General Discussion (Moto Related) 24 05-07-2010 09:13 AM
Photo Organizing/cataloging Software ?'s FKNA Off Topic 0 12-15-2008 08:07 PM
how many rides does it take? MudBug General Discussion (Moto Related) 18 11-08-2008 05:52 AM
new rides train460 General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 07-06-2008 04:21 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-01-2007, 10:56 PM   #22
andre3k
I see dead people...

Feedback Rating: (1)

I think that ride shouldn't be setup up more than 2 - 3 days in advance, due to changes in weather, etc. That should also give enough time to make arrangements w/ the family.

Secondly, the route should be setup and posted in advance.
There also needs to be some specific format for setting up rides. For example:

Date
Ride Time
Route information or Link to a map of route.

I think the main problem here is that someone posts to gauge interest and nothing gets set in stone. If people can make the ride then its cool, if not then they can catch another ride or organize their own. One Sunday ride may not fit the schedule of 30 different people, nor should we expect it to. Also, if you are scheduled to ride out at 10:00 AM, dont leave at 9:50 AM. Give a few minutes past the leave time to allow the late folks to arrive. We've all been late before.

Its just my personal opinion that an experienced rider should be designated as Ride Leader beforehand and set the pace for the group, and should know the route by memory.

Lastly the ride leader should be have a short meeting before the ride explaining that everyone should have a full tank of fuel, bike in order, ride rules, etc.

Having been involved in group riding for a while now, I think that these suggestions should help to resolve some of the problems on here.
andre3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 11:06 PM   #23
Htown1000
Bleed the Block

Bike(s):
Red and Black Gixxer 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre3k
I think that ride shouldn't be setup up more than 2 - 3 days in advance, due to changes in weather, etc. That should also give enough time to make arrangements w/ the family.

Date
Ride Time

I think the main problem here is that someone posts to gauge interest and nothing gets set in stone. If people can make the ride then its cool, if not then they can catch another ride or organize their own. One Sunday ride may not fit the schedule of 30 different people, nor should we expect it to. Also, if you are scheduled to ride out at 10:00 AM, dont leave at 9:50 AM. Give a few minutes past the leave time to allow the late folks to arrive. We've all been late before.

Its just my personal opinion that an experienced rider should be designated as Ride Leader beforehand and set the pace for the group, and should know the route by memory.

Lastly the ride leader should be have a short meeting before the ride explaining that everyone should have a full tank of fuel, bike in order, ride rules, etc.

Having been involved in group riding for a while now, I think that these suggestions should help to resolve some of the problems on here.
This is exactly what i'm talking about and why the thread was created! Great example.. with the route posted if possible people can meet up with the original group or catch up at different points on the route if it's easier for them based on where they live as well. I just want to know where i'm meeting whomever the night before and wake up and know that if the weather is good i'll see other riders at the spot with carrying around my laptop.. I think we are starting the new year off right with this discussion and maybe motohouston organized rides will go alittle smoother! Great post Andre!
Htown1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 11:18 PM   #24
IndyRC
Mutant

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
None

I understand what your saying about getting rides better organized, especially since I'm new here and I'm trying to meet people and go on rides to find the good roads. I also understand that things come up and everybody wants to ride so they try to get times and such changed. Anyway, I would hate to see rides being set up only by pm or phone because I don't really no anybody or have any phone numbers. I just think it would make it difficult for new people to meet and ride.
IndyRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 11:57 PM   #25
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

Just something to ponder....
posting your route might not be a good idea. Unfortunatly cops read these forums as well. If they see a large number of riders / groups going to one area, they may step-up enforcement in those areas. I don't crush the speedlimit anymore, but I may not ALWAYS stay under it. I know quite a few LEO's and they always mention various bbs from the area. Just a heads up guys.

John
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 03:29 AM   #26
pigpen
Radiator Wrecker

Bike(s):
2000 ZX-12R

Quote:
Its just my personal opinion that an experienced rider should be designated as Ride Leader beforehand and set the pace for the group, and should know the route by memory
Dammit - that pretty much rules out Swift for a ride leader then... :BangHead:

There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about!!!
pigpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 03:36 AM   #27
rob78
. . . . . . . . .

Feedback Rating: (10)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Late Model Never-Was

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen
Dammit - that pretty much rules out Swift for a ride leader then... :BangHead:
:laughing6 :laughing6 :laughing6 :laughing6 :laughing6 :laughing6 :laughing6 :laughing6 :laughing6 :laughing6 :laughing6 :laughing6 :laughing6 :laughing6
TMGP #78
Team I Just Wanna Ride #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastynesto85 View Post
go ahead and cry so I can use the tears as lubrication to stick it in you
rob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 11:14 AM   #28
Swift E

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

Swift E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 11:53 AM   #29
ptd
π

Quote:

Date
Ride Time

Sounds like SSB rides.

Quote:
? You mean you count all those rides you do not attend?

-pd
ptd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 11:57 AM   #30
andre3k
I see dead people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptd
Sounds like SSB rides.

? You mean you count all those rides you do not attend?

-pd
Not really...just common sense, notice I left out the mach 2 speeds.

When yall start riding on Wed / Thu I'll make more of them.
andre3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 12:32 PM   #31
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

You will notice a trend about group rides. Usually people are gung ho to begin with and then the groups start getting bigger and more new riders start showing up and things get out of control real quick. Usually at that point you see the experienced group riders backing away from posting up their rides.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 12:38 PM   #32
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody
You will notice a trend about group rides. Usually people are gung ho to begin with and then the groups start getting bigger and more new riders start showing up and things get out of control real quick. Usually at that point you see the experienced group riders backing away from posting up their rides.
it's a natural cycle
Old 01-02-2007, 12:39 PM   #33
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcomfynumero2
it's a natural cycle

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 01:28 PM   #34
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody
^^^^
I have seen this happen many times before. While the group is small, people will get comfortable around each other and tend to like riding together. Therefore, they'll swap phone #'s etc. This eliminates posting public rides. When the group gets larger, some people get more nervous, act more squidly, etc....I try and stay away from folks like that.

Experienced riders don't want to worry about squidly people rear ending them while doing a wheelie in the middle of a group ride or passing on the right hand side of the lane at mach speeds. Therefore, not posting a ride (meaning personal invite i.e PM's, phone calls, etc.) eliminates those squidly types. If I post a ride, I try to set all of it in stone in my initial post. I generally try and make the meet time fairly early in the morning, my side of town, etc. This generally keeps the squidness factor to a minimum as they are still in bed:laughing6
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 01:34 PM   #35
Swift E

Bike(s):
Triumph 675

But we still need to introduce noobs on how to ride safely.
If not in a group with experienced riders then when?
Swift E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 01:42 PM   #36
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

rule #1

dont post them online!!

top secret rides introduced alot of members to each other over on H-I before MH started up. large groups or online rides are a turnoff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	racerbikes.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	3987  
Old 01-02-2007, 01:52 PM   #37
rob78
. . . . . . . . .

Feedback Rating: (10)

Bike(s):
Late Model Never-Was

I agree with swfit that if experieced riders dont teach them there gonna teach themselves and tha isn't good. I somewhat agree with aurturo small group rides are fun but its nice to meet new people in the larger rides.
TMGP #78
Team I Just Wanna Ride #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastynesto85 View Post
go ahead and cry so I can use the tears as lubrication to stick it in you
rob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 01:56 PM   #38
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob78
I agree with swfit that if experienced riders dont teach them there gonna teach themselves and tha isn't good. I somewhat agree with aurturo small group rides are fun but its nice to meet new people in the larger rides.

I'm not a when it comes to motoring, but I am to group rides. If you guys don't have public rides then people like me can't get involved. people that are capable riders. I may not be a perfect rider but I garentee I have more saddle time than some guys complaining.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 02:01 PM   #39
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Big (or rather public) rides are fun every once in a while but prefer to keep it under 6 people most of the time unless it's a group I am used to riding with.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:28 PM   #40
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

ive read a few posts asking who is going to teach the noob riders, etc.

what do yall think there is to learn riding with new riders? how to go fast on public street, new routes, how to obey laws? IMO, the smaller group rides with "experienced riders" are the same but faster. laws are still broken and same routes are usually ridden.

when i ride with large groups, we usually ride to the roads together but leave the slower ones behind.

Advertisement