MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2007, 07:54 PM   #1
Chris24
Thread Savior

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
worn rings on SRAD? advice?

hey all, ive got a 1997 Suzuki GSX-R 600. Bike has been raced its whole life until i got ahold of it, and im using it for street.

i think i have worn rings? ive talked to a few folks about this issue, and have gotten some tips/opinions, but im looking for a few more.
problem: bike consumes a *large* amount of oil. its not being leaked as far as i can tell. if i start the bike up and then shut it off, i do see smoke coming up out of the exhaust, i also have found my airbox has a bit of oil in it. from what people tell me, these are tell-tale signs of worn rings. my question is, what all is entailed in the fix.

do i need new valve guides?
does my cylinder need to be bored/honed?
are valved adjusted in the process?
what other parts should i replace during this job?
what other things should i have serviced during this job?
how many hours of labor is this for a pro mechanic?
how many hours of labor is this for me? lol (i can do some work, i've rebuilt clutches, etc)i like to work on my bike, and learn more about it, i might even try being a pro mechanic at some point.

any special tools needed for this job, can i even attempt this on my own?
after alls said and done, would it be cheaper/easier to do an engine swap?
what engines will fit in this frame? can i put in a F.I. engine?
would it be cheaper/easier to upgrade to a newer bike?
what causes this in the first place, is there anything i can do to prevent it from happening again?
can this lead to more problems? should i fix this asap, or is it ok, as long as i keep adding oil?

ok. i know thats alot of questions, but i appreciate any tips/advice you give...
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone have Keihin o-rings? Salty General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 10-10-2014 10:41 AM
speaker rings?? bbond919 Off Topic 0 05-19-2013 02:08 PM
Worn out? Ulric How To's and Q & A's 3 11-13-2011 04:20 PM
He should have worn a helmet. Kachoojoe General Discussion (Moto Related) 33 11-10-2011 03:55 PM
Who will buy rings? TeXasGiXXer Off Topic 109 10-30-2006 10:03 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-01-2007, 07:58 PM   #2
knee_dragger

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
crf450

I thought you were trying to sell it?
December 2, 1980-October 13, 2007
You will be missed.
knee_dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 08:07 PM   #3
Chris24
Thread Savior

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
Quote:
Originally Posted by knee_dragger
i was...for about 6 hours. a had a guy selling a 04 gsxr 750 (wrecked) for a little more than i was trying to sell mine. i didnt sell mine in the 6 hour window i had to make the buy, so he sold it to someone else. thats how it goes in the fast lane, lol.... in the mean time, im going to keep workin on this SRAD so i can get the most out of it when i sell it. ive been working on it all weekend. fixed up all the ugly wiring, so thats no problem now. the only thing draining the battery is the alarm and thats normal. i even cleaned most of the bike, and alert the media cause im going to clean my wheels tomorrow night...too bad im going to have to use contact cleaner to get the grime off. lol.

Last edited by Chris24; 01-01-2007 at 08:10 PM.
Chris24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 08:30 PM   #4
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Get one of the techs where you work to run a leak down on it.
It will definitively tell you whats going on.

If it's the bike I'm thinking of, it's probably due for a rebuild.

My 2 cents.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 08:32 PM   #5
stlal
Superman

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
99 F4 Track/2004 Yami Warrior

Send a message via MSN to stlal
I wouldnt swap the engine but I do know that any 600/750 from 96-00 should bolt right in. Im pretty sure your valve guides are leaking. Just rebuild the top end and you should be fine. You could knock it out in a weekend but should get the head machined too
Old 01-02-2007, 08:51 AM   #6
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by knee_dragger
I was thinking the same thing...even if it was for 6 hours. I don't recall him mentioning anything about bad rings in his ad. Anyhow, back on topic. I too agree if the bike is blowing smoke (especially on start-up) or when the bike idles for long (er) periods of time you probably have bad rings. My car does the same thing, puff of smoke when I start...but once I'm rolling it is "no longer there". When you get into high mileage (especially in a car) I find it cheaper to add that quart of oil every once in a while than to do a rebuild. I would also think a rebuild would be cheaper (if you do the work yourself I would think it's really cheaper) than swapping motors. That's my 2 cents.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 08:56 AM   #7
ScooterTrash
ConroePowderCoating.com

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
lots of em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris24
hey all, ive got a 1997 Suzuki GSX-R 600. Bike has been raced its whole life until i got ahold of it, and im using it for street.

i think i have worn rings? ive talked to a few folks about this issue, and have gotten some tips/opinions, but im looking for a few more.
problem: bike consumes a *large* amount of oil. its not being leaked as far as i can tell. if i start the bike up and then shut it off, i do see smoke coming up out of the exhaust, i also have found my airbox has a bit of oil in it. from what people tell me, these are tell-tale signs of worn rings. my question is, what all is entailed in the fix.

do i need new valve guides?
does my cylinder need to be bored/honed?
are valved adjusted in the process?
what other parts should i replace during this job?
what other things should i have serviced during this job?
how many hours of labor is this for a pro mechanic?
how many hours of labor is this for me? lol (i can do some work, i've rebuilt clutches, etc)i like to work on my bike, and learn more about it, i might even try being a pro mechanic at some point.

any special tools needed for this job, can i even attempt this on my own?
after alls said and done, would it be cheaper/easier to do an engine swap?
what engines will fit in this frame? can i put in a F.I. engine?
would it be cheaper/easier to upgrade to a newer bike?
what causes this in the first place, is there anything i can do to prevent it from happening again?
can this lead to more problems? should i fix this asap, or is it ok, as long as i keep adding oil?

ok. i know thats alot of questions, but i appreciate any tips/advice you give...
worn rings = oil consumption, also = blow by which = oil in air box. The plugs will look oily and nasty with this issue.

When valve guides are worn, your motor will smoke on start up (because oil will seep down the valve shaft while sitting and get burned on start up)
Another sign of worn valve guides and seals would be smoke showing when you let off the throttle and coast, as in decelleration will cause a vacuum in the motor and it will suck oil passed the guides and seals to smoke.
thats how you diagnose what ya got w/o a teardown.
As far as other things needing repaired, might be worth a look see when torn down.

[QUOTE=Mr.D;2764337]
I respect scootertrash because well... He's like the Jesus of building and fixing .
[/QUOTE]
ScooterTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 09:38 AM   #8
bdmpastx
The Cripple

Bike(s):
2009 Nissan GTR - sold
2015 Nissan GTR

Engine swap will end up being the cheapest way out or you could just sale it and buy a newer one with the money you would spend repairing it. You can get an FI motor and replace the wiring harness with one that goes to the motor. Just go on the web and look for turn-key motors that come with all the essentials. I got one for my GSXR1K after I spun a bearing and broke some valves for $1600 shipped. The motor came with the harness, ECM, dash and all. Not too bad of deal.

Advertisement