MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > Performance and Modifications
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2012, 12:37 AM   #1
KingLeo
Future ATC!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki GS500F
2002 Yamaha R1

LED blinker help!

Ok. So my first bike I purchased (05' Suzuki GS500f) came with no turn signals. I figure it would be cheap to replace since I would want to replace the OEM ones anyways. Well, I first installed some led rear blinkers and when I hit the signal to turn, the way I am turning just stays on. Doesn't blink or anything. Does the same thing with both sides. I just have to push it again for it can stop lighting. I saw online that i would need a different relay for the rear to work properly. Well when I went to purchase one, i was told that it can be because I don't have any front turn signals. That suzuki requires for it to be a closed circuit. So I purchased some regular flush mount bulb turn indicators. Well when I wanted to install, they wont turn on at all. I installed both and now the rear LEDs wont even turn on. I even switched the two wires around and nothing. I disconnected both my LEDs and installed the regular bulb flush mount in the back and still wont shine. At first i thought it was the blinkers, but I tested them out on the battery and they work. Now with all that said.... Anyone have a clue on what could be going wrong?
KingLeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blinker - Electrical help T-Rex How To's and Q & A's 12 06-03-2015 01:12 AM
Blinker fluid? ddgtomahawk Off Topic 33 10-11-2010 03:42 PM
f4i blinker relay superkat Stunters Lounge 7 06-03-2009 02:03 PM
Blinker Help! Candie How To's and Q & A's 5 11-01-2006 07:24 PM
954 Blinker Help Slvr04 General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 11-19-2005 07:05 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-09-2012, 12:56 AM   #2
pyromaniak001
Thats not me.

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2002 R1 (sold)
2004 ZX636 (SOLD)
2000 XR70 :) (SOLD)
2008 CBR600RR
2007 CBR1000RR

maybe a fuse?
pyromaniak001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:10 AM   #3
CraigRR
CMRA # 147

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2009 Honda CBR 1000RR ABS
2011 EX250NinjaR
2001 Yamaha TTR-L (sold to Jimrad)
2015 KTM RC 390 CUP

Fuse, or just use your left arm to signal. Turn signals are not required in Texas.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:06 AM   #4
luckyxdevil1

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
GSXR-750 '02
69' Yamaha 650 back in the day

Send a message via Yahoo to luckyxdevil1
On my bike I have a 4 wire to three wire converter. You have to have a hot lead in in blinker according to the side. You must have a common ground. Not sure if this helps. But I'll look at mine more later. I hooked them up myself. Good luck.

Luckyxdevil2
Old 05-09-2012, 05:18 AM   #5
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_gsxr600 View Post
Fuse, or just use your left arm to signal. Turn signals are not required in Texas.
correct, BUT if they are on a bike, they must work (to pass inspection)
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:02 AM   #6
KingLeo
Future ATC!

Bike(s):
Suzuki GS500F
2002 Yamaha R1

If it was a fuse, why wouldn't it work when i hooked them up to the back turn signals. I completely disconnected the LED in the back and connected the bulb turn signals and they wouldn't even light up. Connected the positive and negative to battery and they do light up. So the blinkers work.
luckyxdevil1.. can you explain a little more.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:12 AM   #7
gots2no
Steve

Bike(s):
'94 Kawasaki ZX6
'78 Yamaha XS750E (sold)
'82 Yamaha Seca 750 (sold)
'82 Yamaha XT200 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLeo View Post
Ok. So my first bike I purchased (05' Suzuki GS500f) came with no turn signals. I figure it would be cheap to replace since I would want to replace the OEM ones anyways. Well, I first installed some led rear blinkers and when I hit the signal to turn, the way I am turning just stays on. Doesn't blink or anything. Does the same thing with both sides. I just have to push it again for it can stop lighting. I saw online that i would need a different relay for the rear to work properly. Well when I went to purchase one, i was told that it can be because I don't have any front turn signals. That suzuki requires for it to be a closed circuit. So I purchased some regular flush mount bulb turn indicators. Well when I wanted to install, they wont turn on at all. I installed both and now the rear LEDs wont even turn on. I even switched the two wires around and nothing. I disconnected both my LEDs and installed the regular bulb flush mount in the back and still wont shine. At first i thought it was the blinkers, but I tested them out on the battery and they work. Now with all that said.... Anyone have a clue on what could be going wrong?
If the bike came stock with incandescent turn signals, the blinker relay is designed for that. What makes a blinker relay turn off is it's own internal heating due to the current drawn by the bulb. LED's drawn an insufficient amount of current to allow this to happen. The opposite happens when you connect a trailer to a vehicle with the OEM blinker relay. The higher current causes them to cycle faster.

I know how to make it work with a modification, but there may be a better way. PM me if you don't get it working.
gots2no is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:45 AM   #8
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
sv650,rc51,gsxr750,6oo,sdg107

Send a message via AIM to Romeo36
You don't have something hooked up right.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:54 AM   #9
dinosaur
Retired in place

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'05 Zx6-R (636)Sold

LED ~ light emitting diode, diodes only let current flow one way, if the polarity is backwards they won't light, you also need an inline resistor for the flasher relay to work
CMRA #414
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:21 AM   #10
luckyxdevil1

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
GSXR-750 '02
69' Yamaha 650 back in the day

Send a message via Yahoo to luckyxdevil1
Yep, what they said. Do need your positive n negative on the correct points. The bike I bought has a uhaul trailer converter on it connected to my taillights. It's labeled, left right and brake. I just tapped into that.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:58 PM   #11
KingLeo
Future ATC!

Bike(s):
Suzuki GS500F
2002 Yamaha R1

Anyone know where or anyone that can get this fixed up for cheap? There is a couple of things that I am going to try, but if all fails, I would like to know where I can get this done at a reasonable price.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:33 PM   #12
Harveyj

Bike(s):
2003 ZX12-R
2006 LTR 450
2001 KX 250
2006 GSXR 600
2003 ZZR 1200

were are you located?
Harveyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:25 AM   #13
KingLeo
Future ATC!

Bike(s):
Suzuki GS500F
2002 Yamaha R1

North side. Around 45N and 610.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:11 AM   #14
anatram
I love nekkid midgets

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
07 HD XL1200C

01 XR fiddy

It's an easy fix, run down to radio shack and grab a 10 ohm 10 Watt resistor, wire it in on the negative side of each turn signal.

The resistor acts like a load balancer and allows the flasher to work.

LEDs are funny, if you have the negative/positive hooked up wrong they will not light at all.

the resistor mentioned above is @ 1/4"square X 2.5 inches long and ceramic. Just wire it in on the negative wire feeding the turn signal.

The signals should work.

Alot of time the flasher moduel/relay will not see the draw from the led becasue it is so little. So the flasher/relay doesn't operate correctly, you see this alot, especially when the turn signal flashes really fast.

The first picture shows a standard wiring diagram, the second is with the resistor installed.

Shouldn't take you more than 5 minutes per side, oh and the resistors are only @ 5 bux for a pkg of two at Radio shack, don't pay the 18.00 for the kit at Autozone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ledfig1-tm.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	56221   Click image for larger version

Name:	ledfig2-1-tm.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	56222  
Old 05-11-2012, 10:19 AM   #15
KingLeo
Future ATC!

Bike(s):
Suzuki GS500F
2002 Yamaha R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by anatram View Post
It's an easy fix, run down to radio shack and grab a 10 ohm 10 Watt resistor, wire it in on the negative side of each turn signal.

LEDs are funny, if you have the negative/positive hooked up wrong they will not light at all.

the resistor mentioned above is @ 1/4"square X 2.5 inches long and ceramic. Just wire it in on the negative wire feeding the turn signal.

The signals should work.

Alot of time the flasher moduel/relay will not see the draw from the led becasue it is so little. So the flasher/relay doesn't operate correctly, you see this alot, especially when the turn signal flashes really fast.

The first picture shows a standard wiring diagram, the second is with the resistor installed.

Shouldn't take you more than 5 minutes per side, oh and the resistors are only @ 5 bux for a pkg of two at Radio shack, don't pay the 18.00 for the kit at Autozone.
WOW, Thanks for the info. I will try tonight or tomorrow morning. I will update with results. But why wouldn't the front blinkers work? The only thing I can think of is the fuse, but then why would it not let the rear blinkers get power when I connect them. The front blinkers are not LED.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:27 AM   #16
Higham
Shh! Ur Boring Everyone!

Bike(s):
Triumph Daytona 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by anatram View Post

The signals should work.

This.....you can also buy the resistors on eBay if you're willing to wait.
Higham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:38 AM   #17
anatram
I love nekkid midgets

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
07 HD XL1200C

01 XR fiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLeo View Post
WOW, Thanks for the info. I will try tonight or tomorrow morning. I will update with results. But why wouldn't the front blinkers work? The only thing I can think of is the fuse, but then why would it not let the rear blinkers get power when I connect them. The front blinkers are not LED.
Going back and re-reading what you wrote, the first thing I would do is check the polarity on the LED turn signals, make sure it is correct. Now, incadescent bulbs are not as picky so it won't matter to them which is positive and which is negative.

It is possible you may have burnt out the flasher, or it is stuck.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:48 AM   #18
Higham
Shh! Ur Boring Everyone!

Bike(s):
Triumph Daytona 600

I think you installed them backwards when you switched to the bulbs and blew a fuse. If you replace the fuse and put inline resistors it should all work unless the short got passed the fuse and blew the blinker relay out.
Higham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:10 PM   #19
KingLeo
Future ATC!

Bike(s):
Suzuki GS500F
2002 Yamaha R1

Finally after I took my AT-SAT test, which I got a 92.2 woot woot!, I had time to mess with it. I searched online looking to see where the flasher relay was and found that I needed a 552 relay flasher. Read that flasher is able to tolerate the low current draw of LED lights without ever changing it's rate of flash. And at the same time, i found that the resistors had to be connected to the positive and the negative. After changing just the relay, same thing. Then I connected the resistors to positive and negative of LEDs, and boom! Everything is working! Thanks for the help guys.

Advertisement