MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2012, 10:15 PM   #21
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

The only way for non-licensed dealer to buy and sell without registering is to have the previous owner sign the title and the tx title application without filling in the buyers info or the sale date. Then when you do sell it, you will have to convince the buyer that it is okay to fill out the remaining fields on the title and tx title application. Buyer will legally be buying from the previous owner, not you.

Technically, you'd be breaking the law, which says any time money changes hands, the state and county want their cut of sales tax. You can get away with it if the previous owner does not fill out a title release form. Then you'll be in deep doodoo. For that reason, the state recommends any seller to do so, cus you never know what the buyer will do.

My advice? Just get it registered and pay the county. Even better advice? Find some other way to make money. The time you'll spend on flipping bikes will make you more money if you go flip burgers instead.

I bought 6 bikes in the last 10 months and actually almost right at broke even trading 2 of them, by the time I figure in the TTL. I thought. I did great already. You will have to be real patient and lucky to catch some great deals enough to make money doing it. I bought each bike fully intending on keeping it. My problems is that eBay and CL are chock full of great bikes and excellent deals.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
profit fail - Man wants refund after buying $650 in tickets to 'The Interview' silverfudge Off Topic 13 12-31-2014 02:05 PM
Buying used bikes phil7153 General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 04-28-2011 08:55 PM
buying a used or new bikes? aznoophi General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 07-31-2008 11:28 PM
I just can't stop buying bikes! nutmegchoi General Discussion (Moto Related) 31 07-24-2008 09:53 PM
buying used bikes. Spanish Fly General Discussion (Moto Related) 30 05-03-2007 07:42 AM
Advertisement
Old 05-04-2012, 10:19 PM   #22
flip326
No likey, no bikey

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
'07 GSXR-750 (sold)
'05 zx6r Monster (sold)
'03 600rr track (sold)
'04 600rr Eurobet (sold)
'05 gsxr 600 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfy View Post
The only way for non-licensed dealer to buy and sell without registering is to have the previous owner sign the title and the tx title application without filling in the buyers info or the sale date. Then when you do sell it, you will have to convince the buyer that it is okay to fill out the remaining fields on the title and tx title application. Buyer will legally be buying from the previous owner, not you.

Technically, you'd be breaking the law, which says any time money changes hands, the state and county want their cut of sales tax. You can get away with it if the previous owner does not fill out a title release form. Then you'll be in deep doodoo. For that reason, the state recommends any seller to do so, cus you never know what the buyer will do.

My advice? Just get it registered and pay the county. Even better advice? Find some other way to make money. The time you'll spend on flipping bikes will make you more money if you go flip burgers instead.

I bought 6 bikes in the last 10 months and actually almost right at broke even trading 2 of them, by the time I figure in the TTL. I thought. I did great already. You will have to be real patient and lucky to catch some great deals enough to make money doing it. I bought each bike fully intending on keeping it. My problems is that eBay and CL are chock full of great bikes and excellent deals.
Yeah, it seems more trouble than its worth to actually use as income. Luckily, I have a normal 9-5 to live on.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:21 PM   #23
YoungGun

Bike(s):
2004 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by obed View Post
I am not moving just to save a couple hours a year....
I have tried them all in Houston and have never hit it and spent less than two hours...shepherd, long point, preston... and I have tried when they first open... lunch time, middle morning, middle afternoon.. they are always busy out the ...
between trucks, motorcyles and trailers, I have made a bunch of trips the last few years, and always waited.
Tried the one in Manvel? Took me 10 min. I've been across the hall paying tickets a few times and have never seen anybody in the tax office. Tiny town, not many people outside of Manvel even know that office exists.
YoungGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:24 PM   #24
messiah

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
02 954rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEN600 View Post
Might want to PM this guy he's a pro at fliiping them for profit Miahjera04
yea like tripple flip that
messiah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:40 PM   #25
dabus63
Senőr Member

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
04 GSXR 1000
04 R1 (sold)
04 R6 (stolen)
99 GSXR 750 (sold)
1990 YSR 50 (in storage)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEN600 View Post
Might want to PM this guy he's a pro at fliiping them for profit Miahjera04

the only easy day was yesterday
dabus63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:41 PM   #26
haythamboi600
Engineer.

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
04 Gsxr-600 (sold)
07 cbr-RR 600 (sold)
07 R6 (sold)
09 R1

Generally, make sure they don't date the title and no you don't have to sign it. I did that with a few cars and wanted to get into Bikes but remember BIKE COMMUNITY IS VERY SMALL AND EVERYBODY KNOwS EVERYBODY. And They will stick up for each other. One bad deal, and......
haythamboi600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:48 PM   #27
NICKR1
I eat my r1

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Quote:
Originally Posted by haythamboi600 View Post
Generally, make sure they don't date the title and no you don't have to sign it. I did that with a few cars and wanted to get into Bikes but remember BIKE COMMUNITY IS VERY SMALL AND EVERYBODY KNOwS EVERYBODY. And They will stick up for each other. One bad deal, and......
+10000000
NICKR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:50 PM   #28
theManofRussia
Who dares, wins.

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
Honda CBR600RR
Specialized Epic S-Works
Specialized Rockhopper

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipboy326 View Post
I don't remember if I've asked, but here goes....

If I buy a bike for the sole purpose of selling it for profit, do I HAVE TO get the title put in my name, register,etc just to sell the bike.

For example I found and almost purchased a 2003 600rr for $2300 on CL. I figure I can sell for $4000 obo, because it was in good condition, low miles...etc

If i bought the bike, have the title in the last owners name, would it be legal to sell the bike without transferring title and paying all those fees.
That's how I bought my bike. I had the sales receipt from the "dealership" but the title was from some random dude. They looked at me funny at the DMV.
theManofRussia is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement