Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2012, 09:03 PM   #21
randomwalk101

Feedback Rating: (1)

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need a machinist anatram Off Topic 6 04-10-2014 01:43 PM
Need help of a Machinist seanster Performance and Modifications 3 12-31-2013 12:56 PM
Need a Machinist's help BYRDMAN Performance and Modifications 2 06-04-2013 02:05 PM
Need a Machinist! XRCajun General Discussion (Moto Related) 18 06-26-2008 09:10 AM
Looking for a Machinist? XRCajun General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 02-09-2008 09:19 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-03-2012, 09:05 PM   #22
randomwalk101

Bolt pattern:

Bolt holes counter sinked so it'll screwed into the manifold. The four other holes are thread tapped so throttle body bolts to it.

21040a56
Old 05-03-2012, 09:06 PM   #23
randomwalk101

TB bolted on & stock tb on left.

46dee20c
Old 05-03-2012, 09:39 PM   #24
Higham
Shh! Ur Boring Everyone!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Triumph Daytona 600

Think it'll be more than what you want to pay. 20-30 for the aluminum. 30 mins to setup waterjet the profile plus another 30-45 mins to setup and drill the counter sinks and to drill and tap. If labor is 60 an hour they may mark up another 30% just cause they are busy. I'd say around 100-150 turnkey depending on the shop. If you can find an individual it'll be a lot cheaper. Machine shops are super busy right now and oil companies have no problem paying big bucks.
Higham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:45 AM   #25
DavidGsXr

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2004 Gsx-r600

^^^ like he said... We are busy, but I'll take a look and see if we can come up with something.
DavidGsXr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:32 AM   #26
Jae
Kilted Basterd

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
Naked Sprint
Russian POS
Angry Max/Tub
Pile o' Hyosungs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomwalk101 View Post
FYI: best place to get stock aluminum or metal is online..particularly here unless you find better...let me know.

www.onlinemetals.com

Got a piece 8"x8"x0.5" for $20 plus $16 shipping (ouch!)
Not a whole lot better, but www.discountsteel.com has the T6 plate (6"x6"x1/2") for $19 + ~$14 shipping

I've ordered from them before, and the shipping is definitely what kills it, but they were fast and did a good job on my order.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:33 PM   #27
randomwalk101

Sorry david. Still waiting for the piece of 1/2" aluminum to come in. it should be here tomorrow (Thurs). Do you have time afterwork Friday? I can swing by so you can take a look. the hardest part I think is cutting that 90mm hole. I think the rest I can drill &tap with my basic hand tools. I'm thinking of drilling out that 90mm hole with the 3.5" hole saw...not sure if it will be even though as I never cut metal with a hole saw before. I did it with woods and it's rough.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:38 PM   #28
Thayleal
GingerBrawp CMRA #369

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2006 SV650s (Sold)
2003 SV650s (sold)
08 Ninja250 BRAWP bike (For Sale)
08 Ninja250 Racebike(Sold)
2007 SV650S(Streetbike)

Depending on how local you want to go you can call MetCo in Evadale Texas. They may have some bandwidth to do some Machine work... and they are good honest people. In fact the Aluminum Waterjet fabrication is one of my best friends from High School.

Motorcycles are like women... once you ride one... you wanna ride em all.
Thayleal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:42 PM   #29
randomwalk101

Thanks..this will be a prototype to test to see if the new 90mm tb will work out. If everything is good, will need to make a bunch more adaptor plates for other forum members (and there will be quite a few).
if it doesn't work then everything goes into a dumpster...and I'll be out of all the R&D money...that's why I'm trying to keep it low as possible.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:37 PM   #30
Alleykat

Experience: 4 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomwalk101 View Post
Thanks..this will be a prototype to test to see if the new 90mm tb will work out. If everything is good, will need to make a bunch more adaptor plates for other forum members (and there will be quite a few).
if it doesn't work then everything goes into a dumpster...and I'll be out of all the R&D money...that's why I'm trying to keep it low as possible.
Welcome to my world.Ive spent thousands to get diff setups right for my Honda ruckus production pieces.I got wheels everywhere,$200 a pop imported 12inch tires that prob won't ever see asphalt and a whole lot more random pieces laying around.R&D is never cheap and neither is the time of the shops your using to make your parts.Your taking time away to make your $150 part when they could be cutting out a $10,000 order for shell.
I was paying good $ to a waterjet place to cut out basic shapes for me.I said screw it and saved up for my plasma table.Cost me a few hairs under $13k but now I do whatever the I want.Did a UofH cougar cutout for my gf and other peeps supposedly wanted one.Cut more out and they said $30 was too much and wanted them around $10 shipped and with powdercoat finish.I'll play frisbee with all of them before I let them go that cheap.Lots of people don't put any thought on what's going on in the other end of the job.

I have a CNC converted vertical mill that could have made your part.Too bad the dam thing is down right now since I had to get a new CPU and now settings are blank.Dont have time to figure it all out at the moment.That's a pricey paperweight.

Your down $36 for material,even if a shop charges you $200 don't sweat it.Think of what their CNC mill cost them.A smaller HAAS starts at around $35,000.
Alleykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:11 PM   #31
Higham
Shh! Ur Boring Everyone!

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Triumph Daytona 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleykat View Post
Welcome to my world.Ive spent thousands to get diff setups right for my Honda ruckus production pieces.I got wheels everywhere,$200 a pop imported 12inch tires that prob won't ever see asphalt and a whole lot more random pieces laying around.R&D is never cheap and neither is the time of the shops your using to make your parts.Your taking time away to make your $150 part when they could be cutting out a $10,000 order for shell.
I was paying good $ to a waterjet place to cut out basic shapes for me.I said screw it and saved up for my plasma table.Cost me a few hairs under $13k but now I do whatever the I want.Did a UofH cougar cutout for my gf and other peeps supposedly wanted one.Cut more out and they said $30 was too much and wanted them around $10 shipped and with powdercoat finish.I'll play frisbee with all of them before I let them go that cheap.Lots of people don't put any thought on what's going on in the other end of the job.

I have a CNC converted vertical mill that could have made your part.Too bad the dam thing is down right now since I had to get a new CPU and now settings are blank.Dont have time to figure it all out at the moment.That's a pricey paperweight.

Your down $36 for material,even if a shop charges you $200 don't sweat it.Think of what their CNC mill cost them.A smaller HAAS starts at around $35,000.
Got any picks of the U of H cutout? I maybe interested.
Higham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:43 PM   #32
Alleykat

Experience: 4 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higham View Post
Got any picks of the U of H cutout? I maybe interested.
I'll pm you my website.
Alleykat is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement