Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2012, 09:06 PM   #1
Jesse H

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
05 Harley Road King

Using better oil filters for Suzukis

When I had my 06 Speed Triple I always used automotive filters; either Mobil1 or Purolator Pure One. They cost less than motorcycle specific filters and according to several independent studies, better. Automotive Mobil1 filters run about $10 while the Pure One is about $6. Both are larger and have excellent filtering media.

Turns out Suzuki has a weird thread size so cross referencing to an automotive filter was a no-go. This place, http://balestech.com/filter.htm, sells an adaptor that allows you to replace the factory oil filter thread with one that opens up your options. I usually go with the Pure One because it's cheaper and basically the same thing as the Mobil1 filter. If you go to amazon you can sometimes find them for $5 and if you buy 4 you end up with free shipping.

Purolator Pure One part #PL14610
Mobil1 Part #M110

While doing research on this product I ran across this guy who installed the same thing on his Gen1 Hayabusa, http://www.hayabusa.org/forum/genera...-hayabusa.html

I pretty much followed his instructions and it worked out great. There's plenty of clearance for the longer filter. I used a pipe wrench to remove the factory thread. To allow more room, I removed an oil line that's attached by 2 allen bolts. You won't need to worry about gaskets as there are none, but there is a rubber o-ring that you could misplace so watch out for that.

Now I can get cheap quality filters at any auto parts store, and not spend twice as much for a made in China motorcycle filter.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where the are all the oil filters in this town? image0r General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 05-05-2012 12:35 PM
Oil Filters OompaLoompa How To's and Q & A's 46 06-26-2009 04:07 PM
bulk oil and filters mekrew General Discussion (Moto Related) 46 04-01-2009 07:11 AM
Oil Filters NoFear General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 09-26-2007 08:55 AM
oil filters ! Javi Performance and Modifications 21 04-19-2007 12:46 AM
Advertisement
Old 05-01-2012, 09:12 PM   #2
ormand
Deelish!

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 650r
Total Mileage: 42,000

I don't know anything about Suzukis but I have over 40k miles on my Kawasaki 650r and have **always** used Kawasaki oil and filter purchased from the dealership, changed every 5k miles. A friend showed me how to change the clutch on my bike @ 40k miles and we were both pretty impressed with how little wear there was on the clutch...only 1 of 7 plates was "worn". Had we not already soaked the other clutch plates, we may have re-used the other 6 clutch plates. And I would like to think I abuse my bike like everyone else. I believe using factory oil and filter extended the life span of the clutch and who knows what else...

Oil is such an important part of a bike - engine AND transmission. I wouldn't mess with what engineers believe to be the best combo but that's just me.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:13 PM   #3
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

I've used WIX filters with great results. They have a cross to Suzuki and Kawi I know for sure.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:22 PM   #4
CraigRR
CMRA # 147

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2009 Honda CBR 1000RR ABS
2011 EX250NinjaR
2001 Yamaha TTR-L (sold to Jimrad)
2015 KTM RC 390 CUP

http://www.wixfilters.com/index.asp
Old 05-01-2012, 10:32 PM   #5
cuong-nutz
Resident 250 guru

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Ninjer 250

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterXRef.html

I use a longer car oil filter on the zzr600 with no problems since the switch.

Last edited by cuong-nutz; 05-01-2012 at 10:35 PM.
cuong-nutz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:17 AM   #6
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

How much money are you really gonna save? Say you're put 30k miles on your B-King over the time you own it. Even if you change it every 3k, which is a bit much, you'll save at most ($10 - $6) x 10 = $40.

Be sure the money and effort you invest in the alternative is worth the potential savings.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:00 AM   #7
Princess
MH's ex fake mod

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R
09 Santa Cruz SL
Serotta Legend Ti

Send a message via AIM to Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfy View Post
How much money are you really gonna save? Say you're put 30k miles on your B-King over the time you own it. Even if you change it every 3k, which is a bit much, you'll save at most ($10 - $6) x 10 = $40.

Be sure the money and effort you invest in the alternative is worth the potential savings.
Research the Purolator filters a bit and you'll see it's one of the highest quality filters available. At less than half the price of a K&N or OEM(what a lot of people run, why not?

FWIW I also use the PL14610 filter.
Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:07 AM   #8
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

I make my own using paper towels
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:09 AM   #9
Joshua42007

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
06' GSX-R 1000

Purolator Pure One part #PL14610
Mobil1 Part #M110
KN-138

all work well, K&N works the best for me.
Joshua42007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:20 AM   #10
Jesse H

Bike(s):
05 Harley Road King

It's being able to find the filter at any parts store and being better quality was what sold it for me. Being cheaper and sharing the same part number as my truck is a bonus.

If OEM was best we'd all be buying oil, filters, brake fluid, coolant and bulbs from the dealer and not upgrading our bikes. Do I have any doubt a Suzuki or even a Fram filter would work for my use? Not at all. But for a $15 part that's incredibly easy to replace, why not.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:30 AM   #11
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
I make my own using paper towels
See that 60 year old car in my avatar? It uses tissue paper in a canister...some people use toilet paper rolls with the center pulled out. Full pressure oiling wasn't available for a few more years.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:32 AM   #12
Princess
MH's ex fake mod

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R
09 Santa Cruz SL
Serotta Legend Ti

Send a message via AIM to Princess
Frams filter media sucks. I'd have no problem running a K&N, Mobil, OEM, Wix or any of those, but a Fram will not go anywhere near any engine I own.
Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:54 AM   #13
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

I find the online wisdom and "published" studies on oil filter effectiveness dubious at best. I've yet to see one that shows definitive prove that consistent use of the "better" stuff over the lifetime of the vehicle results in appreciable difference vs. other brands.

Take the hype about cardboard being used in Fram filters. Honestly, if that was really a problem, we would have heard of countless engine failures and premature wear over the many decades Fram has been selling these filter to millions of motorists.

If anybody makes a bad product, it won't be on the market for long. But people love to argue about this filter and that oil, and the industry feeds into that fear by pumping "studies" and "papers" into the internet for all to peruse and dissect.

I buy whatever name brand synthetic oil that is on sale, and whatever name brand filter I can buy readily. That usually means K&N for my bikes off amazon - shipped to my door for $10 each typically. Why waste time driving around town looking for the best filter?

Only exception was like on my Aprilia, where K&N doesn't make one, so I buy OEM filtes online from AF1, shipped to my front door.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:57 AM   #14
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:
Only exception was like on my Aprilia, where K&N doesn't make one, so I buy OEM filtes online from AF1, shipped to my front door.
so why buy OEM when AF1 also carries "off" brand, thats what i've used so far.......

$10 vs $16
HSB wanted $32 for OEM
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:18 AM   #15
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

Hey Volfy...ever hear of the "orange can of death" or "orange filter of death"? You couldn't pay me to run a Fram filter on a ford 5.4L V8!
Old 05-02-2012, 10:21 AM   #16
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
so why buy OEM when AF1 also carries "off" brand, thats what i've used so far.......

$10 vs $16
HSB wanted $32 for OEM
You read my mind. I bought one filter to do that first oil change when I first got the ape - standard practice when I buy a new bike. So I got the single OEM filter along with some other misc parts from AF1. At that time, bikes were rotating out of my garage at an alarming pace ('08 ZX10R and '09 Sprint ST both were resident for less than 3 months), so I wan't sure I was gonna keep the ape long enough for a second oil change. You might think it's nuts. And I can assure you I'm 100% certifiable.

I've since ordered the Hi-Flo twin pack. Heck, for all I know, HiFlo probably made the OEM filters.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:28 AM   #17
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcycles View Post
Hey Volfy...ever hear of the "orange can of death" or "orange filter of death"? You couldn't pay me to run a Fram filter on a ford 5.4L V8!
Yeah, of course I have heard of it. But I tend not to believe everything I hear.

My take on the Fram filters: no, it is not the best quality filter there is on the market, but they are far from the grenade ready to blow up your car in 2mins that the urban myth makes it out to be. Like I said, Fram must have sold a billion of these "orange cans of death" by now, and CBS hasn't seen fit to run a 60-minutes expose on it yet, so I think it's safe to say there is not a whole lot of truth to all the fear mongering.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:55 AM   #18
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

According to the interwebs most filters including k&n and mobile 1 and Walmart brand are all made by the same company. Champion labs.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:08 AM   #19
jetcycles
DRIVEN BY ANGER

Bike(s):
1950 Chevy Deluxe
1980 Honda CT70
1987 Kawasaki 650SX
1996 Honda Z50

Quote:
Yeah, of course I have heard of it. But I tend not to believe everything I hear.

My take on the Fram filters: no, it is not the best quality filter there is on the market, but they are far from the grenade ready to blow up your car in 2mins that the urban myth makes it out to be. Like I said, Fram must have sold a billion of these "orange cans of death" by now, and CBS hasn't seen fit to run a 60-minutes expose on it yet, so I think it's safe to say there is not a whole lot of truth to all the fear mongering.
I don't believe everything I hear either. The Fram filter for a 5.4L Triton engine does not have an internal check valve like the factory supplied Motorcraft ( and many others) causing the cam chain tensioners to relieve tension after sitting. Start ANY 5.4 L that has sat for more than 24 hours and I bet a case of Motorcraft filters that I can name the vehicles running a Fram filter. I'm educated enough to know that I will not run one on my truck. Why not run a better filter with increased surface area when possible?
Old 05-02-2012, 12:44 PM   #20
imma_stocker
cager

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 5 years

I use OEM when possible. Or K&N for the socket end.

Advertisement