MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2012, 01:07 AM   #1
CaffeineRacer

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'03 SV650

Reflections: Free Noob Trackday Experience and Lessons

CaffeineRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Free motorcycle lessons, no gear needed... Stromtrooper General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 04-28-2011 08:17 AM
Free stunt lessons on CL?? Bigmarky General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 08-15-2008 12:18 AM
FREE lessons this weekend!!!! west-E General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 07-17-2008 07:33 AM
Advertisement
Old 05-01-2012, 02:37 AM   #2
Helios
Back again again...

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
06 Silver Gixxer

Member Garage

Very nice write up!
I did a cliff's notes for anyone not wanting to read the whole thing, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaffeineRacer View Post
TRACKDAYS ARE F’n AWESOME!!!! I’m unfortunately now addicted to a sport which my wallet isn’t prepared for, but food is for and I’m sure there are some sperm banks around here looking for some top notch splooge.
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:48 AM   #3
Vegas Kid

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
07 R6-sold
12 TTR 50

Glad to hear you had a great time
Vegas Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:03 AM   #4
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)

Thanks for the write up, man.

Funny and informative, it looks like you also paid close attention to instructors. You learn from a trackday as much as you want. Seems you did that.

We are glad and sorry for being part responsible for giving you the first hit of the trackpipe.

See you out there!

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:02 AM   #5
Thayleal
GingerBrawp CMRA #369

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2006 SV650s (Sold)
2003 SV650s (sold)
08 Ninja250 BRAWP bike (For Sale)
08 Ninja250 Racebike(Sold)
2007 SV650S(Streetbike)

Yeah CaffeineRacer did really well better than the other silver SV out there did his first time... and maybe as good as the other silver SV did this time

Glad you had a blast!

Motorcycles are like women... once you ride one... you wanna ride em all.
Thayleal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:11 AM   #6
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

This should be a requirement.

Great write-up and pics!!!!
Glad you had fun out there, and yes you will be addicted now.
Make a spreadsheet and start balancing your income statement now...
Old 05-01-2012, 08:35 AM   #7
Danurse
Squid pro-quo

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2003 SV1000-N
Haro ICS 4.0 moutain bike :/

Looks like the track bug bit ya pretty good
Glad you had a great first track day...Hope Solracer heals up quickly
Danurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:10 AM   #8
bluepine

Hey Ivan,
I think this project of yours " Free Track Day for a Noob" turned out to become an academic program. Do the lab test and write a Thesis. Man, you should honor the doctorate to Caffeine racer. Lol! Great job! A+
This is gonna help greatly to all those who are or planning to get into this. Should make it a requirement to anyone winning the free track day.
Hey Caffeine racer, first, sorry for confusing your screen name and calling you Cafe Racer. It was great meeting you on Saturday, and for a first timer on the track, you did great! Saw you on a couple of turns, and You were solid man! See you back on the track soon!
bluepine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:35 AM   #9
kalanie
facebok/leatherlaceracing

Very good write up

Thanks for sharing your first trackday experience with us

Leather&Lace Racing Leather Repair
281-657-589 zero
kalanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:53 AM   #10
cuong-nutz
Resident 250 guru

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Ninjer 250

Thanks for sharing. A thesis should be part of the giveaway requirements!!! Good job out there and hope to See you on the track again soon!
Old 05-01-2012, 04:58 PM   #11
CaffeineRacer

Bike(s):
'03 SV650

Hey, thanks everyone. Yeah I think this a great idea for everyone who gets the trackday. If anything it really makes you think about and process everything that happened out there on the track and what it all means.

Also on a side note, I'm working on my thesis (at least the experiments for it) so it seems appropriate this turned into a bit of an academic thesis. It would be very interesting if there were some way to quantitate the value an individual derives from doing a trackday in terms of the riding ability and safety on the street.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:46 PM   #12
setfast

Bike(s):
09 ZX6R

Hey Mat,
glad you had a great time, wish I could have been there!
p
setfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:13 PM   #13
lbjasonc
Doin it big!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
06 gsxr1Theezy

excellent write up C-Racer. sounds like u had a blast and learned a lot.

kudos Ivan, good job holmes
Old 05-02-2012, 07:22 AM   #14
lucydad

Bike(s):
2012 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2007 Kawasaki EX 500
1971 Honda 175 Scrambler
1967 Honda Mini Trail 50
1966 Honda Super 90

CR:

Hey, I appreciate your excellent commentary, thoughts and pictures. A track day remains on my bucket list. At my age though I wonder if I have the coordination and if the instructors have the patience for a slow and cautious learner? Your discussion of smoothness and body position into curves is valuable. Getting there and back and the long days are issues for me, and the heat.

One of these days....other priorities always seem to bite first.

thanks again!
lucydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:24 AM   #15
Thayleal
GingerBrawp CMRA #369

Bike(s):
2006 SV650s (Sold)
2003 SV650s (sold)
2007 SV650S(Streetbike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucydad View Post
CR:

Hey, I appreciate your excellent commentary, thoughts and pictures. A track day remains on my bucket list. At my age though I wonder if I have the coordination and if the instructors have the patience for a slow and cautious learner? Your discussion of smoothness and body position into curves is valuable. Getting there and back and the long days are issues for me, and the heat.

thanks again!
If the instructors have the patience for me... they have the patience for anyone

Old 05-02-2012, 07:26 AM   #16
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying

Feedback Rating: (1)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thayleal View Post
If the instructors have the patience for me... they have the patience for anyone

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:31 AM   #17
BaoPee
12 yr old Asian boy

Feedback Rating: (8)

Trackdays: 1

The Experience:
I packed the car packed up the night before. Here is everything that I brought that I actually used:
Suit, boots, couple of extra pairs of socks, under amour-like pants and long sleeve shirt for underneath my suit, helmet, gloves, a belt (to keep the suit from falling off when you have it half odd), rear stand, chain lube, lithium grease, tire pressure gauge, allen wrenches, pliers, tape, hairspray, screw driver, painters tape, towels, shop rags, extra 5 gallons of gas, key, a case of water (yeah pretty much drank the whole thing), and a cooler with some light food (fruit). I brought a lot more than this (like extra oil, coolant, brake fluid, etc), but didnít use most of it although still probably good to have around.

did Ivan told you to bring that?

info@halffastgroup.com
BaoPee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:00 AM   #18
Thayleal
GingerBrawp CMRA #369

Bike(s):
2006 SV650s (Sold)
2003 SV650s (sold)
2007 SV650S(Streetbike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaoPee View Post
The Experience:
I packed the car packed up the night before. Here is everything that I brought that I actually used:
Suit, boots, couple of extra pairs of socks, under amour-like pants and long sleeve shirt for underneath my suit, helmet, gloves, a belt (to keep the suit from falling off when you have it half odd), rear stand, chain lube, lithium grease, tire pressure gauge, allen wrenches, pliers, tape, hairspray, screw driver, painters tape, towels, shop rags, extra 5 gallons of gas, key, a case of water (yeah pretty much drank the whole thing), and a cooler with some light food (fruit). I brought a lot more than this (like extra oil, coolant, brake fluid, etc), but didnít use most of it although still probably good to have around.

I didn't even catch that... the hairspray was for more speed from the SV down the back straight... doubles as NOS

Old 05-02-2012, 12:21 PM   #19
CaffeineRacer

Bike(s):
'03 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaoPee View Post
The Experience:

Dude after each session my hair was all over the place!! And that most important part of any motorcycling activity it to look sexy STANDING NEXT to your bike. That was a real life saver Ivan, thanks!

LOL no its actually an amazing tool for putting on bar end weights. I have bar end mirrors that I removed and put the weights on. You spray a little on the rubber expansion part of the weight and little in the bar and let it get tacky. Then when you go to tighten things up the weight has some grip so it doesn't just spin around in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepine View Post
Hey Ivan,
Hey Caffeine racer, first, sorry for confusing your screen name and calling you Cafe Racer. It was great meeting you on Saturday, and for a first timer on the track, you did great! Saw you on a couple of turns, and You were solid man! See you back on the track soon!
Hey man great meeting you too. No worries on the name, one of the days hopefully I'll own a cafe racer. Thanks for the compliment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by setfast View Post
Hey Mat,
glad you had a great time, wish I could have been there!
p
P!!! Glad to see you lurking around here. We'll catch up soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucydad View Post
CR:

thanks again!
Glad that I could provide some noob insight for you. Also just an aside a lot of guys don't do the whole day as I learned and there is certainly no obligation to do every session so you could always just do one and take it one session at a time to see how you feel. It's a hobby so no need to torture yourself over it.

The instructors are definitely patient, I mean look at Thayeal that haven't given up on him quite yet!!
Old 05-02-2012, 12:48 PM   #20
Thayleal
GingerBrawp CMRA #369

Bike(s):
2006 SV650s (Sold)
2003 SV650s (sold)
2007 SV650S(Streetbike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaffeineRacer View Post
The instructors are definitely patient, I mean look at Thayeal that haven't given up on him quite yet!!
True story I improved alot this track day and I was feeling pretty good and WheelieDave had pretty much watched me run into the grass every other lap at GSS during my second track day so I asked him to follow me this time. I went around the track and really felt like I was on the line and my inputs were pretty good and never felt the bike feel unsettled. We pulled into pit straight and I pulled up beside him and he didn't say a word. Just shook his head . "You were off the line in several places. Follow Me and don't think just do." (WheelieDave I think has figured out I overthink everything at the track)

I followed him for a lap and the next he followed me and the session was over. I linked up with him again with the following result. " That was much better, much smoother. Whatever it is you did that last time , just do that from now on. I was finally like he isn't thinking, Thank !" I left that conversation with a big smile on my face...

Point is the instructors will help you even if you have shown them you are pretty hopeless your first few times they watch and are very good at perceiving not only the problems they see directly on the track but the underlying cause as well. I am far from conquering that hurdle but I got a little closer and with a little luck, a little skill, and a lot of help I will.