MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2015, 07:08 PM   #261
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Feedback Rating: (8)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
I'm reviving this thread. Just did my first ever track day. I ran level 1 at MSRH (CW) and was running 2:02-2:03 while being very generous when it came to passing the slower guys. Guess I'm moving up to level 2.

This is on a stock Street Triple R w/ Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsas. I was really shooting for under 2 minutes but I had lots of body position issues with that standard bike. I had a real rough time getting my chest down on the side of the tank... ended up supporting myself with my arms early on in the day. Finally figured out how to wedge my leg in between the peg and the tank and that took a lot of the stress off my upper body. I figure there's plenty of room for improvement there.
Although that is pretty good timing for a newb dont be so eager to move up. Just because you are passing a lot of ppl doesnt really mean anything. Do a few more before making that jump only after consulting an instructor. There are tons more things to learn in level 1.

I was in level 1 for about 12 trackdays and learned a lot. I never understood the rush for ppl to move up. I did 30 more in level 2 snd never moved up to 3. Take your time, learn to be smooth and predictable before u even think about moving up. Whats the rush anyway?

AMERICAN MADE WITH MEXICAN PARTS
BYRDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Track times at MSRH GIXXERKELLY Taking it to the Track 2 10-22-2012 11:22 PM
MSRH Race Prep Course - Dec 11, 2010 @ MSRH Ridesmart Ridesmart Motorcycle School 0 12-07-2010 12:24 PM
MSRH Lap Times ... logan5 Taking it to the Track 63 02-16-2009 02:03 AM
MSR-Cresson Lap Times - Track Day Times cdill35 Taking it to the Track 28 11-11-2008 04:30 PM
MSRH Novice times? bdubb Taking it to the Track 34 06-30-2008 12:26 PM
Advertisement
Old 10-18-2015, 07:11 PM   #262
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYRDMAN View Post
Although that is pretty good timing for a newb dont be so eager to move up. Just because you are passing a lot of ppl doesnt really mean anything. Do a few more before making that jump only after consulting an instructor. There are tons more things to learn in level 1.

I was in level 1 for about 12 trackdays and learned a lot. I never understood the rush for ppl to move up.
I appreciate your advice. No doubt I could continue in level 1 and learn much, that I totally agree with. That said, the instructor told me to move up, so I probably will. Though the idea of staying in level 1 and being able to position myself with an empty track in front of me and getting to practice turn after turn like that is enticing.
Liked this post:
Old 10-18-2015, 07:16 PM   #263
BYRDMAN
WX MAN

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repth View Post
I appreciate your advice. No doubt I could continue in level 1 and learn much, that I totally agree with. That said, the instructor told me to move up, so I probably will. Though the idea of staying in level 1 and being able to position myself with an empty track in front of me and getting to practice turn after turn like that is enticing.
Start your own thread and ask this question so u can get other ppls input without other folks whoring up this thread.

The best part of a trackday is learning what your bike can do AND coming home in one piece. That right there is the ultimate goal

Congrats on ur first trackday! U done up now...just start flushing money down the drain now

AMERICAN MADE WITH MEXICAN PARTS
BYRDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 07:17 PM   #264
Repth
Keyboard Warrior

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
'14 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYRDMAN View Post
Start your own thread and ask this question so u can get other ppls input without other folks whoring up this thread.

The best part of a trackday is learning what your bike can do AND coming home in one piece. That right there is the ultimate goal

Congrats on ur first trackday! U done up now...just start flushing money down the drain now
I threw some out the window on the way home for good measure. Gotta' start getting used to it. Lol. Thanks bud
Liked this post:
Old 10-18-2015, 09:03 PM   #265
Wawazat?!
Chuck my Norris

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
'09 Aprilia RS125
'07 gixxer 750 (RIP)
'05 Honda "Fiddy"
'09 R1 (RIP)

According to my GoPro, I ran back to back 1:49's and my slowest was a 1:52. We'll see what the transponder says in two weeks.
Wawazat?! is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-18-2015, 09:06 PM   #266
ArkansasDave

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

Despite the traffic in level 2 I got a 1:58 on my 390. Never got a clean lap and it's hard to work up to a faster pace when I constantly have to slow up for people.
ArkansasDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:35 AM   #267
GABRIEL

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 1-3 months

I would think it would be easier to pass them being able to corner quicker and ride a line easier than the bigger bikes.
GABRIEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:12 AM   #268
BryanE
CMRA #246

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2011 Ninja 250 Race
2007 R6 Race
2007 Ninja 500 Race
2011 YZ450F SuperMoto
2012 CBR 250 Race

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasDave View Post
Despite the traffic in level 2 I got a 1:58 on my 390. Never got a clean lap and it's hard to work up to a faster pace when I constantly have to slow up for people.
That's pretty awesome considering all the traffic, and a lot of the students were riding erratic lines. Some times I thought it was a circus on Saturday lol
BryanE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:17 AM   #269
ArkansasDave

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABRIEL View Post
I would think it would be easier to pass them being able to corner quicker and ride a line easier than the bigger bikes.
Not really and if I come up on them in a way that I'm meeting them mid corner or corner exit I can't pass them. There are also a few corners you cant really pass on like the bus stop, diamonds edge(unless I time it right), sugar and spice, and the launch. But no matter if I get past them right away I still didn't take the best line and would have to slow up just a little while I went around.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:04 AM   #270
ArkansasDave

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanE View Post
That's pretty awesome considering all the traffic, and a lot of the students were riding erratic lines. Some times I thought it was a circus on Saturday lol
Thanks! The level 2 riders weren't that bad, they were actually pretty nice and wouldn't just motor past me. I got up next to one guy on the pit straight, right when he was getting ready to get on the gas I looked over and shook my head. He let up on the gas and waved me by. It was very nice of him.
Liked this post:
Old 10-19-2015, 10:35 AM   #271
BryanE
CMRA #246

Bike(s):
2011 Ninja 250 Race
2007 R6 Race
2007 Ninja 500 Race
2011 YZ450F SuperMoto
2012 CBR 250 Race

Member Garage

Quote:
Thanks! The level 2 riders weren't that bad, they were actually pretty nice and wouldn't just motor past me. I got up next to one guy on the pit straight, right when he was getting ready to get on the gas I looked over and shook my head. He let up on the gas and waved me by. It was very nice of him.
Nice, it 'twas a bit different in 3, but had a blast
BryanE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:43 AM   #272
ArkansasDave

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanE View Post
Nice, it 'twas a bit different in 3, but had a blast
I heard, I also heard I wouldn't have been in the way as much as a lot of the people in there.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:00 AM   #273
Classax
Objective Observer

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2014 1190RX

2013 Ninja 300
2012 636 (sold)
2012 Diavel (sold)

Member Garage

Well Saturday I will say was much more sketchy than Sunday. There were a lot of slower liter bike guys and quick small bike guys were both equally frustrating on Saturday . Drag racing a S1KRR only to have them check up way early on the brakes and have them complain your passing inside because they tip in and discover you're already there, or the railing a corner with a pro on a small bike only to alter your exit because they blocking the line with best drive.

Arkansas Dave, you were flying on the ktm even though you passed me on the inside going onto the launch on a waving yellow right after I fought three laps to get by you turning 1:59s in traffic. The fast guys on small bikes who kill your exit drive are just as frustrating as corner parking liter bikes.

Despite the traffic I turned several 1:55s but mostly 1:59-2:03s depending on the traffic with a new PB of 1:54.43 in the afternoon on Sunday.

Side note, the EBR shredded the RS10 rear in just two days at my slow lvl2 pace . I'm going back to Q3s

Last edited by Classax; 10-19-2015 at 11:04 AM.
Classax is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked this post:
Old 10-19-2015, 11:09 AM   #274
ArkansasDave

Bike(s):
2010 CRF450R
2014 Honda Grom
2015 KTM 250xc

I don't remember passing anyone on the inside at the launch and especially not under a waving yellow but if you say I did then I'll believe you. Sorry for that.

If you can't easily get passed me with 183hp(140 more than me) despite me being on the line you need to work on driving out of the corners. Especially if you're able to run 3 seconds faster than I managed. Were you by chance running the camera and have footage of you following me?
Old 10-19-2015, 11:16 AM   #275
wiayeman
TOONTOON BLACKNWHITEARMY

Bike(s):
99 SV650 (race)x2
79 XS650
08 EX250R (race)
14 MSX125
88 YSR (race)

There were a few clowns racing in L3 on Saturday. Karma took over and one or two left in the meat wagon.

Last race is coming up in 2 weeks....
CMRA#645
Purple Helmets Endurance Team
wiayeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 11:21 AM   #276
Classax
Objective Observer

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
2014 1190RX

2013 Ninja 300
2012 636 (sold)
2012 Diavel (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
I don't remember passing anyone on the inside at the launch and especially not under a waving yellow but if you say I did then I'll believe you. Sorry for that.

If you can't easily get passed me with 183hp(140 more than me) despite me being on the line you need to work on driving out of the corners. Especially if you're able to run 3 seconds faster than I managed. Were you by chance running the camera and have footage of you following me?

Yea I'll PM you, no worries, I had just past you in gut check and caught the yellow in the lauch just before I was about pass a student. With me wide for the pass and then not taking it because of the yellow, probably blocked you view and left you nowhere to go.

It's not that I couldn't pass them on exit its that you loose time and drive not being on the optimal line. That happens a few times a lap or once in right place and boom 3 seconds lost. No worries it was fun!
Classax is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement