Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2012, 04:36 PM   #1
sullivan

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja EX650R
2005 Yamaha YZ250F

everyone should go buy a tire patch kit

Never thought Id be the one to get a nail in my tire, I was at a shop getting my bikes inspection done today, the guy noticed it and let me pass inspection. Told him I was gona get it fixed right away and luckily I lived no more then 3 miles so I road back home.

Anyways, I think everyone should go buy a tire patch kit now, you never know when youll get one.

I must have uber luck because I was riding around on the nail for a long time, whats crazy is I didn't know it was there, its gona make me wana check my tires over all around for nails each ride now.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tire Patch? z0sum General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 06-10-2012 05:06 PM
plug and patch tire Busa_Bullet General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 02-27-2009 08:03 AM
Tire patch or plug tonyt915 General Discussion (Moto Related) 32 01-30-2009 02:20 AM
tire patch question OMEGA Performance and Modifications 29 01-21-2008 12:54 PM
So i got a Nail in my tire! patch or get new tire? AznGoneNuts General Discussion (Moto Related) 56 10-24-2006 03:51 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-30-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
CBR_TRAN
Another Short Asian

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2007 Cbr600rr
1972 cb450 (cafe under construction)
2008 Kawasaki 250r (sold)

Nails are my #1 enemy
Old 04-30-2012, 04:56 PM   #3
green600
HG Chairperson

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

First one on the list.

Motorcycle Safety Foundation
Pre-Ride Checklist

Here is a quick check to insure your next ride is safe and trouble free...

The Motorcycle Safety Foundation recommends a short pre-ride check of your motorcycle before every ride. To help you remember what to check, the MSF came up with the acronym T-CLOCK, which stands for Tires, Controls, Lights, Oil, Chassis and Kickstand.

These are simple, easy-to-access items that anyone who rides should be able to identify and check. And despite the length of the MSF's list, you can probably check everything in about five minutes. Depending on what you find, that could be the best five minutes you spend all day.

Tires and wheelsSince these are what separate you and the road, they're probably the most important things to look over. A problem here will affect handling, sometimes severely.

Are your rims free of dings? Are your spokes tight and straight? Check pressures in both tires. Since most manufacturers specify pressures for cold tires, this is the only accurate way to check them, as they heat up quickly on the road, raising the pressure. Consult your owner's manual or call your tire manufacturer's hotline for the proper pressures for your particular bike.

If you own multiple bikes, it may be difficult to remember all those different tire specs. And since this is one of those critical things you should check often, you may want to make a checklist with each tire's recommended pressure, then hang it on your garage wall, or anywhere that's handy.

While you're down there checking the tires, make sure you've got plenty of tread. You should have more than 1/16 of an inch, about the distance between Lincoln's head and the top of a penny. Remove foreign objects that may have lodged in the treads, and make sure there aren't any cuts in the tire. A scuff is nothing to be worried about, but if it's a deep scratch, you might want to have it checked.

Controls and cables
A snapped throttle or clutch cable can leave you on the side of the road, so check them, Operate anything connected to a cable and make sure that levers and cables feel smooth and don't bind. Apply the front brake and push the bike forward. The brake should feel firm, and the front wheel should not move. Check the rear brake in the same fashion.

Lights
Seeing and being seen are the two best ways to avoid unwanted incidents on the road, so making sure your lights work is imperative to your safety.

Start by turning on your ignition. Are the headlight's high beam and low beam working? Does the taillight come on? Does the brake light come on when you depress the brake pedal and lever? Check left and right turn signals, front and rear. Remember that the cause of a malfunction here could be a relay or bulb... Lastly, don't forget to check your horn.

Oil and fuel
Running out of gas is a drag, but since many motorcycles don't have gas gauges, it's a very real possibility. Check the gas level in the tank, and be sure your fuel petcock isn't on "reserve," which could leave you with a big surprise if you roll to a stop thinking you've still have gas in reserve. And don't forget to reset the tripmeter every time you fill up.

Running out of gas can be inconvenient, but running out of oil can turn your bike into an inert display of public art. Even some new bikes can use enough oil to be down a quart between oil changes, so check it before every ride.

Chassis
Though an improperly adjusted suspension may not seem critical, imagine your surprise as your bike behaves differently in the middle of a curve because you forgot to reset it after picking up your friend last night.

Sit on the bike and rock it, making sure that everything moves smoothly and relatively slowly. If the front or rear end behaves like a pogo stick, a trip to your trusty mechanic should be in your immediate future.

If you have an adjustable suspension, remember to read your owner's manual and adjust it properly for the load you'll be carrying and the type of riding you'll be doing.

Kickstand and centerstand
The kickstand is a handy little item, it's what keeps your motorcycle off the ground. Make sure it's not cracked or bent. Check the spring or springs. Are they in place, and do they have enough tension to keep the kickstand safely up?

Don't forget to look at the engine cut-out switch or pad, if so equipped.

If everything's in place and operating properly you're done, and you're ready to roll. Enjoy the day!
green600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
sullivan

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja EX650R
2005 Yamaha YZ250F

Has anyone had a tire blow or anything? Im wondering if I got lucky or if this is what typically happens. Ive not lost any air.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:25 PM   #5
cuong-nutz
Resident 250 guru

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
Ninjer 250

I doubt a mc tire will have a blowout just because you have a nail in it. Perhaps because the sidewall is short and thick unlike car tires. YOu will probably break the bead and kiss your good-bye though. My english sucks.

Last edited by cuong-nutz; 04-30-2012 at 05:27 PM.
cuong-nutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:53 PM   #6
chevy42083

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'09 XB12scg
'07 650r Stolen/recovered

Yeah, it may not blow, but it'll lose all pressure REALLY quickly if that nail decide to vacate the tire. It'll leave you very squirrelly and possible wishing you had BMW/Ducati traction controls and ABS.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:07 PM   #7
sullivan

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja EX650R
2005 Yamaha YZ250F

I almost road with the nail to go get a new tire, but I had a friend message me around the same time and he said he would just take my by the shop tomorrow. I feel like it happened for a reason, who knows what could have happened if I road to the shop. Odd thing too, I just bought a rear stand for the bike... kinda makes things easy.

Last edited by sullivan; 04-30-2012 at 06:12 PM.
sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:59 PM   #8
SupermanZX736

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2009 Yamaha R1 (Stolen)
2007 Yamaha R1 (RIP)
2008 Ducati 848

How Bad Is The Fix-A-Flat For A MC Tire?
SupermanZX736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:01 PM   #9
SupermanZX736

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2009 Yamaha R1 (Stolen)
2007 Yamaha R1 (RIP)
2008 Ducati 848

If You Get Your Tire Pluged/Patched Should You Get Another Tire ASAP?
SupermanZX736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:03 PM   #10
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupermanZX736 View Post
How Bad Is The Fix-A-Flat For A MC Tire?
bad... don't do it. not to mention a tire guy having to clean that off your rim once you do get a new tire
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:20 PM   #11
Soldaten

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2010 BMW F800 ST
YZ250 (sold)
BMW E30 Race Car
LeMons Race Car (burned)

I always carry a tire plug kit and enough co2 cylinders to refill my tires twice. It all fits under the seat.

I had a flat a long way from anything and no one stopped. Thank I had the patch kit....it got me back home!
Old 04-30-2012, 07:36 PM   #12
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

I have plugged a few rear tires in a pinch. Never had any issues after the plugs were installed. I never have tires last over 2000 miles anyway.
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:48 PM   #13
cuong-nutz
Resident 250 guru

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
Ninjer 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupermanZX736 View Post
If You Get Your Tire Pluged/Patched Should You Get Another Tire ASAP?
If it were me, I'd still ride on it until I see the tire not fit for riding anymore. A few people have had their plugs still leak and others have had it hold up until it the tires were actually worn down to where they needed replacement.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:49 PM   #14
sullivan

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja EX650R
2005 Yamaha YZ250F

If anyone wants my tire its yours for $40.

Advertisement