MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2012, 09:28 PM   #1
plasticdude

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2002 SV650S
2007 CBR 600RR

Unhappy Why do the lights keep going out after getting fixed?

I bought a used 2007 CBR from a dealer about 2 months ago, it had a lot of aftermarket add-ons. A month ago I took it to a shop (one of the sponsors of this forum in fact) near where I live for a repair. The repair went fine, but when I got the bike back I noticed the turn signals don't work anymore.

I took the bike back to the shop and explained that the lights were working fine before it went in the shop. So they fixed it without charge and said it was a blown fuse, but the underlying cause is loose wiring and it may happen again.

Sure enough a week later same problem again, signal lights went out, so I took it back again. I explained I wouldn't mind paying for the repair this time as long as it gets fixed.

So I paid a hundred bucks to get the signal lights working again, this was exactly 10 days ago, and just now I noticed the exact same lights went out again...

What do you think? Take the bike back to the same shop for the third time for the same problem? Take it to a different shop? Or just forget the lights all together and admit the lights just won't work on this bike (though it was working fine before all this started), the only issue is that I use the bike mostly for street riding and feel a bit sheepish without turn signals...
plasticdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fixed her right up..... monstermanus General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 07-01-2013 09:27 PM
Who Knows Honda Accords? No Dash Lights, No Running Lights - What Gives? Racer997 Car Forum 7 11-26-2011 03:16 PM
Fixed IT cogs69 Off Topic 18 05-07-2010 02:04 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-27-2012, 09:30 PM   #2
Infinite
night prowler

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
08 CBR 600RR (sold)
06 GSXR 600 (sold)
07 Ninja 250 (sold)
93 CBR 900 (sold)
06 RC51 (sold)

take it back to the shop and explain, dont go in there demanding things but be civil and speak
Infinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:35 PM   #3
plasticdude

Bike(s):
2002 SV650S
2007 CBR 600RR

I was thinking that, but same problem recurring 3 times in a month each time no more than 2 weeks after I got it fixed... I like the guys in the shop, but I can't help losing faith a bit...
Old 04-27-2012, 09:42 PM   #4
Blue91

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
2010 White R6
2003 Silver R6 (sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Blue91
Motorcycles Unlimited. /thread

Blue91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:46 PM   #5
sullivan

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja EX650R
2005 Yamaha YZ250F

I understand that you said the turn signals worked before going to the shop. But did it cross your mind yet at all that this was an issue when you purchased the USED bike?

I'd take it back to the shop, and let them know that you just had it there, that you paid for some work that seems to still be giving the same issues.

Love being my own mechanic, nothing you cant fix with a multimeter.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:48 PM   #6
Blue91

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
2010 White R6
2003 Silver R6 (sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Blue91
Sounds like there's a bad wire or a short to ground that's causing the fuses to pop. Trace the wires from each signal and find where it's shorting out. Or, take it to Motorcycles Unlimited and have it done correctly the first time.

Blue91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:48 PM   #7
plasticdude

Bike(s):
2002 SV650S
2007 CBR 600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue91 View Post
Motorcycles Unlimited. /thread

Yeah... thought about that too, but Motorcycles Unlimited is pretty far from my part of the town, and last time I called Motorcycles Unlimited I was told there's a back log of bikes that it may take several days to get to mine....
Old 04-27-2012, 09:53 PM   #8
plasticdude

Bike(s):
2002 SV650S
2007 CBR 600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullivan View Post
I understand that you said the turn signals worked before going to the shop. But did it cross your mind yet at all that this was an issue when you purchased the USED bike?

I'd take it back to the shop, and let them know that you just had it there, that you paid for some work that seems to still be giving the same issues.

Love being my own mechanic, nothing you cant fix with a multimeter.
Yeah... You're certainly right, and as mentioned it has a lot of aftermarket add-ons so this can certainly be an existing problem. I'm not a mechanically oriented person, but is it unusual to have the same problem recurring 3 times after repair even if it is an existing problem of the used bike or that is just how some electrical problem is?
Old 04-27-2012, 10:04 PM   #9
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

take it back.. you paid for it this time and they should find out whats the problem.
Keep in mind if the problem doesn't pop up right away then you need to give the guys a chance to fix it.. it may sometimes take more then a few times to actually get it right.
floyd600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:05 PM   #10
floyd600
Grip it and Rip it!!

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
07 R6 Track/Race (sold)
08 R6 Track/Race-RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite View Post
take it back to the shop and explain, dont go in there demanding things but be civil and speak
floyd600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:25 PM   #11
Chuckster

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2006 Yamaha R1

The loose wires they found may only be the "tip of the iceberg" so to speak. A lot of times, fixing one problem reveals other problems. Just be patient with the shop and take it back. They seem to be reasonable in working with you as some shops would have used the old "this problem is unrelated to the original problem" excuse and charged you to fix it right out of the gate.
Chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement