MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.


FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Reply
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2012, 09:06 PM   #1
Supa Dave
The Chupacabra
 
Supa Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sugar Land
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 1,818

Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
GSX-R 600
KX250 (sold)








Would you buy a dirt bike without a title??

So I'm thinking about picking up a kx250 dirt bike and the guy selling it does not have the title for it...(got lost, supposedly)

I'm wondering if since it will not be ridden on the street do I really need a title or would a bill of sale be ok? You don't regester a dirt bike do you?

I would still run the vin to see if reported stolen.

Would u buy?
__________________
"I wake up in the morning and excellence"
Supa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dirt bike no title? the_laydown General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 07-05-2012 11:10 AM
is it worth it to buy a salvaged title bike? CBRBuron General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 12-30-2010 03:09 PM
Changing title for a dirt bike NightBaron General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 07-28-2010 04:35 PM
getting title for bike with lost title... Bomb0314 General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 03-29-2010 12:47 AM
Advertisement
Old 04-25-2012, 09:14 PM   #2
FLYIN'DUC
Senior Member
 
FLYIN'DUC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cleveland, Texas
Feedback Rating: (7)
Posts: 6,254


Bike(s):
07 Ducati, 99 Busa









What year? dirt bikes back in the day didnt come with titles, bill of sale should be ok
FLYIN'DUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:15 PM   #3
iBang
Senior Member
 
iBang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: The Woodlands/Spring
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 338

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'01 SV650N
'04 R1








I buy, work on, sell and ride a lot of offroad stuff and I think out of everything I have ever had I have had one or two titles... that's out of probably 10 or so now.
iBang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:16 PM   #4
Supa Dave
The Chupacabra
 
Supa Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sugar Land
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 1,818

Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
GSX-R 600
KX250 (sold)








Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYIN'DUC View Post
What year? dirt bikes back in the day didnt come with titles, bill of sale should be ok
1998
__________________
"I wake up in the morning and excellence"
Supa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:17 PM   #5
Supa Dave
The Chupacabra
 
Supa Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sugar Land
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 1,818

Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
GSX-R 600
KX250 (sold)








Quote:
Originally Posted by iBang View Post
I buy, work on, sell and ride a lot of offroad stuff and I think out of everything I have ever had I have had one or two titles... that's out of probably 10 or so now.
So people don't ask about title? I personally don't care as long as bike is not stolen but don't want to run into any issues when selling later..
__________________
"I wake up in the morning and excellence"
Supa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:20 PM   #6
drzag
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 98












That's super common in the off road market in my experience. I've had a few titles but it's not common with dirt bikes are they aren't entirely necessary in most people's minds as they won't ever have to register them or anything.

For a 98 kx I wouldn't be worried at all. I wouldn't spend a lot on a bike of that age. I had an 02 kx250 that I really loved, I think 98 was almost the same generation-wise. Solid bikes for sure.
drzag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:21 PM   #7
Supa Dave
The Chupacabra
 
Supa Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sugar Land
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 1,818

Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
GSX-R 600
KX250 (sold)








Quote:
Originally Posted by drzag View Post
That's super common in the off road market in my experience. I've had a few titles but it's not common with dirt bikes are they aren't entirely necessary in most people's minds as they won't ever have to register them or anything.

For a 98 kx I wouldn't be worried at all. I wouldn't spend a lot on a bike of that age. I had an 02 kx250 that I really loved, I think 98 was almost the same generation-wise. Solid bikes for sure.
1200 a good deal?
__________________
"I wake up in the morning and excellence"
Supa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:23 PM   #8
iBang
Senior Member
 
iBang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: The Woodlands/Spring
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 338

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'01 SV650N
'04 R1








If its all there in good order and runs well that's a pretty good price. At that age and price it better not have any problems.
iBang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:28 PM   #9
Supa Dave
The Chupacabra
 
Supa Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sugar Land
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 1,818

Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
GSX-R 600
KX250 (sold)








Quote:
Originally Posted by iBang View Post
If its all there in good order and runs well that's a pretty good price. At that age and price it better not have any problems.
Thanks for the info! The more research I have done, most people are ok with a bill of sale.

Now where do you get a bill of sale?? Do you make your own? Does it need to be notarized?
__________________
"I wake up in the morning and excellence"
Supa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:29 PM   #10
drzag
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 98












1200 probably isn't awful. Dirtbikes that run hardly fall below 1500 it seems. Kinda like street bikes where they all kind of bottom out around 1500ish when they get old enough.

I'd lowball even further and see what happens. Are you planning on doing MX or just trail riding?
drzag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:33 PM   #11
Supa Dave
The Chupacabra
 
Supa Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sugar Land
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 1,818

Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
GSX-R 600
KX250 (sold)








Quote:
Originally Posted by drzag View Post
1200 probably isn't awful. Dirtbikes that run hardly fall below 1500 it seems. Kinda like street bikes where they all kind of bottom out around 1500ish when they get old enough.

I'd lowball even further and see what happens. Are you planning on doing MX or just trail riding?
Trail riding and maybe a mx day but nothing crazy. Mostly bayou trails and some secret spots I remember back in the day

He also is throwing in some gear as well.
__________________
"I wake up in the morning and excellence"
Supa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:37 PM   #12
drzag
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 98












Offer up 1000 and see what happens. It'd be fun for trail riding and light mx if it's clean.
drzag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:41 PM   #13
Supa Dave
The Chupacabra
 
Supa Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sugar Land
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 1,818

Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
GSX-R 600
KX250 (sold)








Quote:
Originally Posted by drzag View Post
Offer up 1000 and see what happens. It'd be fun for trail riding and light mx if it's clean.
Originally I offered him 1000 he was asking 1500! So
We are at 1200. Seems like a fair price. Fmf pipe, top end has 5 hours on it, very clean with new tires.
__________________
"I wake up in the morning and excellence"
Supa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:43 PM   #14
Tojo92
AKA Mongo
 
Tojo92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Cedar Park, TX
Feedback Rating: (7)
Posts: 5,142

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II






Quote:
Originally Posted by drzag View Post
Offer up 1000 and see what happens. It'd be fun for trail riding and light mx if it's clean.
+1, or maybe even $900 unless it is really nice.

Off road only - a BOS should be good, and I wouldn't worry about notarized. You can title off road bikes, and I always do (even a little PW50 I had) after one PITA with a guy I sold a DRZ400 to with a BOS since he wanted to make it street legal after he bought it. I got him a title eventually, but won't do it again. He wasn't a PITA, the PO was to get the title from.

I buy and sell a bunch as a hobby. If you will keep it a while and do not intend to title it, then you shouldn't have any issues.
__________________
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:44 PM   #15
Tojo92
AKA Mongo
 
Tojo92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Cedar Park, TX
Feedback Rating: (7)
Posts: 5,142

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II






Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa Dave View Post
Originally I offered him 1000 he was asking 1500! So
We are at 1200. Seems like a fair price. Fmf pipe, top end has 5 hours on it, very clean with new tires.
If you like the price, that is all that matters.

Sounds fair if it's that nice.
__________________
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:06 PM   #16
TomballD
Senior Member
 
TomballD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tomball
Feedback Rating: (5)
Posts: 8,634

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
DR350
XR50
TDub-200
XR100-Tarded
1981 XR80






Those bikes when solid are fast as , I'd buy it without a title as everything above mentions , but if you have never felt a Kawi 250 power band prepare yourself bro
TomballD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:22 PM   #17
Supa Dave
The Chupacabra
 
Supa Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sugar Land
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 1,818

Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
GSX-R 600
KX250 (sold)








Quote:
Originally Posted by TomballD View Post
Those bikes when solid are fast as , I'd buy it without a title as everything above mentions , but if you have never felt a Kawi 250 power band prepare yourself bro
I remember the power band in My old kx80 so I can only imagine! My dad Had an older cr250 that screamed! I rode it a few times and all I could say was . But I'm a bigger guy now (225ish) so I think I would need a 250
__________________
"I wake up in the morning and excellence"
Supa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:34 PM   #18
iBang
Senior Member
 
iBang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: The Woodlands/Spring
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 338

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'01 SV650N
'04 R1








Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa Dave View Post
Thanks for the info! The more research I have done, most people are ok with a bill of sale.

Now where do you get a bill of sale?? Do you make your own? Does it need to be notarized?
I usually end up hand writing something that goes along these lines:

I _____________ sell my ______________________ vin number ____________ to _________________ for ________________ today ________

Fill in the blanks and both of you sign it. Make two copies and sign and print both. If you are feeling paranoid (I do often) get a picture of his license plate and a copy of his drivers license.
iBang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:49 PM   #19
Supa Dave
The Chupacabra
 
Supa Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sugar Land
Feedback Rating: (2)
Posts: 1,818

Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
GSX-R 600
KX250 (sold)








Quote:
Originally Posted by iBang View Post
I usually end up hand writing something that goes along these lines:

I _____________ sell my ______________________ vin number ____________ to _________________ for ________________ today ________

Fill in the blanks and both of you sign it. Make two copies and sign and print both. If you are feeling paranoid (I do often) get a picture of his license plate and a copy of his drivers license.
Well thanks again!
__________________
"I wake up in the morning and excellence"
Supa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:59 PM   #20
929guy
Member
 
929guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Austin
Feedback Rating: (0)
Posts: 69

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2001 Honda 929
1999 SV 650 sold
1999 Aprilia Ride Smart 50
2007 GSXR 600






I would but depending on the cost.
929guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Advertisement


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:44 AM.


MotoHouston.com is not responsible for the content posted by users.
Privacy Policy