MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2012, 11:09 AM   #141
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-03-2012, 11:12 AM   #142
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
kansas has plenty of missile silo's you can buy.
the real deals are communications bunkers not the missile silos
Old 05-03-2012, 11:13 AM   #143
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfy View Post
You can build ANYTHING if you put you mind to it... and some elbow grease.

I built this house in OKC. Drew the plans myself. My wife and I erected the walls with nothing but our own two hands. The wall structure was designed to withstand a direct hit by a cat5 tornado. Plus the ability to stop a .50 cal round.

If you are in Edmund OKC, look up the builder Bill Roberts and ask him about the guy that built his own Polysteel home. That's me.

I love America!
thats awsome!!!!!
Old 05-03-2012, 11:21 AM   #144
the_ruckus
Literally Satan

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
2001 Ducati Monster M600

Quote:
Hey guys, I apologize if I were a bit too harsh on some of you. I do love this country of ours and just could not stand it being called a Police State.

The first time I heart my 7yr old sing the National Anthem, it darn near brought tears to my eyes.

In the end, there is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to make our Country greater than it is, however different our methods may be. The tolerance for opposing viewpoints is what make it truly a free nation.
I respect your reverence for our country and feel the same way myself about the greatness of our country. However, I would like to point out that the USA is not a democracy; it is a constitutional republic. The only thing democratic about our system is the electoral process.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu View Post
I might replace you with an orange cone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog22 View Post
Natural selection just high fived poor judgement.
the_ruckus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:41 AM   #145
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanXJ View Post
the real deals are communications bunkers not the missile silos
http://www.missilebases.com/russellkansas

http://www.missilebases.com/parismissouri
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:48 AM   #146
ALEXD
HOUSTUNNAS

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
05 R6
SOLD-00 GSXR 750 StreetFighter
SOLD- 99 GSXR 600
SOLD-01 YAMAHA R6
03 600 RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Speaking of police equipment and unmarked cars I saw the strangest thing yesterday... On my way home I rolled up on a Grand Marquis with limo tint all the way around, no markings, no registration stickers, and a normal TX license plate. But, that's not the strange part. The vehicle had devices which looked like large (10"x4"x2") cameras mounted on the hood and trunk. The trunk device was pointed at the left side of the vehicle while the hood device was pointed right. My first thought was these were license plate scanners, but the devices were aimed at the side of the vehicle rather than forward/back or at an angle.

Any ideas? DPS get some new toys?
I have seen these as well but around 3 years ago I lived in an apartment and these cars would come in around 3 in the morning scanning the parking lot for stolen cars.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:54 AM   #147
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_ruckus View Post
I respect your reverence for our country and feel the same way myself about the greatness of our country. However, I would like to point out that the USA is not a democracy; it is a constitutional republic. The only thing democratic about our system is the electoral process.
Many people are under the false impression that our form of government is a democracy, or representative democracy. This is just completely untrue. The Founding fathers were extremely knowledgeable about the issue of democracy and feared a democracy just as much as a dictatorship or monarchy. they knew that the only thing that could take away persons freedom is their own government. This could be from weakness to protect themselves from outside threats or by becoming too powerful and taking over every aspect of life.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:19 PM   #148
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Democracy vs. Constutional republic is just arguing the semantics. The two are not mutually exclusive. Democracy is a process. Constitutional Republic is a form a government. A nation could be a Constitutional Republic, whose government is formed via the process of Democracy.

Take Britain for example. Theirs is a Constitutional Monarchy with a Pariliamentary System, whereby the MOP are elected via a Democratic process. Citizens of both Britain and USA enjoy the rights to a democratic process of electing their representative.

Whether one wishes to call these two nation true democracies is one's own perogative.

Likewise, any of these forms of government can be arrived at devoid of a democratic process, unlike the USA or Britain. That much is true.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:32 PM   #149
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanXJ View Post
thats awsome!!!!!
Thanks urbanXJ. Had to call in the pros on most of the work, but I poured a lot of sweat equity into that home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	241744_188661554518558_100001241432565_496980_5881530_o.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	55942   Click image for larger version

Name:	243236_188662417851805_100001241432565_497041_2301360_o.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	55943   Click image for larger version

Name:	244224_188662431185137_100001241432565_497042_8360680_o.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	55944  

Name:	polysteel1.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	55945  
Old 05-03-2012, 12:36 PM   #150
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

Quote:
Democracy vs. Constutional republic is just arguing the semantics. The two are not mutually exclusive. Democracy is a process. Constitutional Republic is a form a government. A nation could be a Constitutional Republic, whose government is formed via the process of Democracy.

Take Britain for example. Theirs is a Constitutional Monarchy with a Pariliamentary System, whereby the MOP are elected via a Democratic process. Citizens of both Britain and USA enjoy the rights to a democratic process of electing their representative.

Whether one wishes to call these two nation true democracies is one's own perogative.

Likewise, any of these forms of government can be arrived at devoid of a democratic process, unlike the USA or Britain. That much is true.
Quote:
They knew very well the meaning of the word "democracy", and the history of democracies; and they were deliberately doing everything in their power to prevent having a democracy.

In a Republic, the sovereignty resides with the people themselves. In a Republic, one may act on his own or through his representatives when he chooses to solve a problem. The people have no obligation to the government; instead, the government is a servant of the people, and obliged to its owner, We the People. Many politicians have lost sight of that fact.

A Constitutional Republic has some similarities to democracy in that it uses democratic processes to elect representatives and pass new laws. The critical difference lies in the fact that a Constitutional Republic has a Constitution that limits the powers of the government. It also spells out how the government is structured, creating checks on its power and balancing power between the different branches.

The goal of a Constitutional Republic is to avoid the dangerous extreme of either tyranny or mobocracy but what exists in America today is a far cry from the Constitutional Republic our forefathers brought forth.

Today we have DO have a mobocracy occurring in our streets all across America. Sadly, such mobocracy or 'mob rule' was is endorsed and encourage.

However, rule by mobocracy is only a tiny part of what is happening here in America. The larger problem we are facing is related to those who would support and approve of "mob rule". It is called tyranny. What is tyranny? Simply put, we are being governed by tyrants who have usurped the will of the people. Our government has become a raging bull elephant, no pun intended, and is totally out of control. We are well on the road to fascism, which was defined by Mussolini as the combining of capitalism and Communism.
-Lew R.

"mob rule" should not be confused with the "will of the people".

Quote:
Ochlocracy (Greek: οχλοκρατία or okhlokratía; Latin: ochlocratia) or mob rule is government by mob or a mass of people, or the intimidation of legitimate authorities. As a pejorative for majoritarianism, it is akin to the Latin phrase mobile vulgus meaning "the fickle crowd", from which the English term "mob" was originally derived in the 1680s.[1]

Ochlocracy ("rule of the general populace") is democracy ("rule of the people") spoiled by demagoguery, "tyranny of the majority" and the rule of passion over reason, just like oligocracy ("rule of a few") is aristocracy ("rule of the best") spoiled by corruption. Ochlocracy is synonymous in meaning and usage to the modern, informal term "Mobocracy," which emerged from a much more recent colloquial etymology.
Quote:
"A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where 51 percent of the people may take away the rights of the other 49."
-Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-03-2012, 12:37 PM   #151
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

Quote:
Thanks urbanXJ. Had to call in the pros on most of the work, but I poured a lot of sweat equity into that home.
are those modular building blocks or casts for a concrete form? that house looks bada$$
Old 05-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #152
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

They are each 16" tall and 48" wide and width of a 2x10 and are stacked like lego blocks. I built all those window and door bucks that you see in the pics, and erected all the exterior walls, tallest of which is 12' tall. The tallest ladder I has was an 8ft one.

Inside the concrete forms are a lattice work of steel rebars, which are laid both horizontally and vertically to reinforce the concrete. The rebars are tied downward into ones set in the stem wall footings and are also tied upward into the j hooks that hold down the top plate, and in turn the roofing structure.

My wife and I raised the exterior wall over a 5wk period in record 106deg Oklahoma heat. i exhausted all my vacation time, plus sick time, and then some. Up before dawn and left at sun down. Some days the sun was so intense we had to take a break between 2-5pm. At the end of the wall-erection, I had lost some 15lbs. And that eating like a mad man at every meal.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:51 PM   #153
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

Quote:
They are each 16" tall and 48" wide and width of a 2x10 and are stacked like lego blocks. I built all those window and door bucks that you see in the pics, and erected all the exterior walls, tallest of which is 12' tall. The tallest ladder I has was an 8ft one.

Inside the concrete forms are a lattice work of steel rebars, which are laid both horizontally and vertically to reinforce the concrete. The rebars are tied downward into ones set in the stem wall footings and are also tied upward into the j hooks that hold down the top plate, and in turn the roofing structure.

My wife and I raised the exterior wall over a 5wk period in record 106deg Oklahoma heat. i exhausted all my vacation time, plus sick time, and then some. Up before dawn and left at sun down. Some days the sun was so intense we had to take a break between 2-5pm. At the end of the wall-erection, I had lost some 15lbs. And that eating like a mad man at every meal.
are you moving/retiring out there? or is this just a vacation home. It looks stout my friend. I have been running around different ideas for building a home in the ozarks in SE Oklahoma. We have a house out there already in construction, but looking to get more land and move the parentals up there at some point in time.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #154
the_ruckus
Literally Satan

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
2001 Ducati Monster M600

Quote:

True democracy is nothing more than mob rule, which is much different than a Constitutional Republic. Semantics matter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu View Post
I might replace you with an orange cone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog22 View Post
Natural selection just high fived poor judgement.
the_ruckus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #155
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0opstlnksal0t View Post
are you moving/retiring out there? or is this just a vacation home.
No, it's someone else's home now (house with red car in driveway). This was to be my dream home - in Edmund, OK. I started building it back in 1998 when soon the bottom felt out of the oil patch. Crude was selling in the teens$ per bbl and gas dropped to $0.65/gal. One Friday, my Company laid off 80% of our Engineering Dept and told the four of us left to get on the lifeboat to HQ in Houston. I was half way into building this house, so it was either my career or my home. Helluva choice, I tellya.

They were nice enough to give me time to finish building the home, live in it for less than a yr to sell it, before relocating us to Houston.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	polysteel2.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	55946  
Old 05-03-2012, 01:40 PM   #156
Petro
C'Mon... Building 7

Quote:
No, it's someone else's home now (house with red car in driveway). This was to be my dream home - in Edmund, OK. I started building it back in 1998 when soon the bottom felt out of the oil patch. Crude was selling in the teens$ per bbl and gas dropped to $0.65/gal. One Friday, my Company laid off 80% of our Engineering Dept and told the four of us left to get on the lifeboat to HQ in Houston. I was half way into building this house, so it was either my career or my home. Helluva choice, I tellya.

They were nice enough to give me time to finish building the home, live in it for less than a yr to sell it, before relocating us to Houston.
That sucks man, I remember all the rough times my pops went through in this industry. It seemed like a never ending roller coaster of working then getting laid off, etc... luckily he was good with money and always had plenty stashed away for the bad times...
Old 05-03-2012, 02:03 PM   #157
jbird710

Bike(s):
2002 Honda CR500R AF
2006 Honda XR650R
2006 Honda XR650L
2001 Harley FLHTCUI
2001 Honda XR400R

Member Garage

A couple of years ago, I pulled up behind a sport bike at a red light while riding the Harley on SH 96 between League City and Kemah. When the light turned green, the sport bike took off in a wheelie. A silver/grey 1 ton Dodge Ram completely unmarked truck came blowing by me with hidden red and blues flashing. About a 1/4 mile up the road, he had the sport bike pulled over. Not sure what his authority was; but suspect he was a Constable. I got pulled over back in the 80's after passing what I thought was a old Pontiac Catalina that turned out to be a Galveston County Constable.
I know constables are consider full state peace officers; but I disagree with them handing out traffic tickets. That office was originally created to process and enforce court documents. If the precinct has enough extra tax dollars to afford traffic cruisers for constables, then they can roll back or freeze taxes.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:20 PM   #158
DavidGsXr

Bike(s):
2004 Gsx-r600

A white charger got me last night (had white letters on the side) HPD
DavidGsXr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:06 PM   #159
miguel!!
dont forget the streets