Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2012, 07:58 AM   #41
Communist Plant
Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r

Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
i don't think thats the case, helmets are supposed to be DOT approved. doesn't mean i wouldn;t wear an ECE approved lid.

and ECE testing has diff standards, its not really more rigorous.
There was an issue with SNELL M2005 v. ECE regarding the test accommodating different head sizes into the test. SNELL has fixed the discrepancy with M2010 though.

If it is ECE it is generally DOT compliant: harley half-helmets are DOT compliant. It usually won't be SNELL compliant though.
Rael is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AGV - Helmet trade in offer. dex2001 Gear Talk 8 05-12-2011 01:41 PM
Why are choppers so expensive? Redux General Discussion (Moto Related) 125 05-03-2009 10:34 AM
Best helmet for wind protection? gtdrivr Gear Talk 23 12-12-2008 09:27 PM
Why so expensive? NightBaron General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 10-21-2008 08:50 PM
Old 04-26-2012, 08:15 AM   #42
Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
I believe higher end helmets spend more time and $ on shell technology as well the impact foam and making it better(safer)

I will use Shoei as an example. They uses an industry leading 5 different shell sizes for the RF1100, so you have a much greater chance of finding a good fit for your head. I also like when manufacturers put a good warranty behind their product. (5-Year Warranty From Purchase Date. 7-Year Warranty From Helmet Manufacture Date in their case.)

Originally Posted by debit_debit View Post
Never thought to look for this. Good point made here.

I'm guessing the cheaper brand helmets are more likely to make cookie-cutter shells?
Yes more likely, but not all of them. Like I said do some research, the tech specs are definitely out there.

IMO- Yes you might pay an extra $150 for some LE graphics or something, but there has to be a good reason between a $60 helmet and a $500 helmet.

I did some for you guys on an article for the X11:
The X-Eleven has a new shell that was designed specifically for this helmet. To save money, many helmet manufacturers mold only one or two shells to cover all of the available hat sizes from, say, XS to XXL.

This can mean that the smaller helmet sizes may have thicker foam and internals to fill the void, and the result is a helmet that looks out of proportion on the rider's head; the dreaded "space helmet" look. Conversely, the larger helmet sizes that use a too-small shell may have less internal protection and thinner foam between the rider's noggin and the asphalt.

There's also more to it than that; many manufacturers spend little or no time conducting the engineering analysis on computer or in the wind tunnel for optimum shell aerodynamics. Even if they do, there may be more variance in predicted vs. actual performance because it's more difficult to tune one or two shell sizes for aerodynamic efficiency over 6 or more hat sizes.

Shoei has resolved this problem by designing four separate shell sizes for the X-Eleven. The smallest shell is used for the XXS, XS and S sizes; the medium shell is used for head size medium; the size large shell for head size large, and an extra-large shell size for XL and XXL.

This is remarkable and also expensive -- there's a lot of extra cost involved in the design, manufacture, maintenance and the stocking of product with this many shell sizes, but it helps to ensure that the owner will find an exact fit that will be very comfortable and function as advertised.

To save weight, Shoei uses a new "AIM+" (Advanced Integrated Matrix Plus) process for molding the shell. This combines various high-tech and carbon fibers that help make the shell light in weight, yet still meet all the necessary safety requirements. I weighed the ride-ready, size XL X-Eleven at 1627 grams, or 3 pounds, 9-3/8 ounces.

This is fairly light for an out-of-the-box helmet, and the X-Eleven's weight is distributed in a way that makes it feel comfortable and not top-heavy. By the way, in the U.S.A., the X-Eleven is both DOT and Snell approved, and it is also ACU Gold (competition approved) and EC 22.05 approved in Europe. These are the toughest and most up-to-date motorcycle helmet safety standards in the world.

Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Do your research and find out how many "shell" sizes the manufacturer uses as well.
Some use 2 shell sizes and then compensate with pad sizing for XS-XL.

While padding is nice, you want to make sure your skull isn't gonna bang around inside the helmet itself that much. Same idea as the "double hit" boxers take because you get hit with the glove THEN the fist.
Bill N.
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:17 AM   #43
Feedback Rating: (2)

2006 Yamaha R1

I was mistaken, ECE is strickter than DOT:

DOT – An acronym for Department of Transport, DOT is the is US government approved standard and, in the United States, is the most popular. DOT standards are aimed at protecting skulls from 90% of impact types ( low to moderate energy impacts according to the HURT Report) and favours a more shock-absorbent helmet. The maximum G-force allowed by the DOT test is 250g’s,*an impact of 200 to 250 g’s to the head would result in a severe, though probably survivable brain injury (the DOT anvil is either flat or “kerb shaped” depending on the test). The DOT’s favouritism towards more shock-absorbent helmets seems to fall inline with recent studies indicating that absorbing the force of an impact is more important than resisting the impact.

Snell – The Snell Memorial Foundation is a not-for-profit, independent organisation established in 1957 and is named after*William “Pete” Snell, a famous racing car driver who was tragically killed in 1956 when a helmet failed to protect his head during an accident. The Snell*M2005 is the “old standard” and favours a more shock-resistant helmet, the*M2010 is the new, more shock-absorbent standard. The Snell M2005 test allows an impact-shock of up to 300g’s,*a 250 to 300g impact would result in a critical head injury. The M2010 standard allows a maximum of 275g’s (the Snell anvil is a steel ball shaped rather like a tennis ball, they also test with flat and “kerb” shaped anvils). The Snell M2005 standard is widely believed to be too “hard”, the newer M2010 is set to replace it completely in 2013, the M2010 standard favours more impact-absorbent helmets and a helmet that passes the M2010 test will probably also pass the DOT and*ECE R22-05 tests (though this isn’t guaranteed). Snell certified helmets are allowed by the AMA for professional motorcycle racing however the M2005 standard will no longer be permitted after 2011.

ECE R22-05 – Developed by the rather lengthily named United Nations Economic Commission for Europe, this is the most common helmet certification internationally,*required by over 50 countries worldwide. It is approved for all competition events by AMA, WERA, FIM,*CCS, Formula USA*and the big one – MotoGP. It, much like the DOT standard, favours a more impact-absorbent helmet allowing a maximum of 275g’s*(the ECE R22-05 anvil is either flat or “kerb shaped” depending on the test). The*ECE R22-05 is arguably the most up-to-date helmet certification standard, it’s wide use in a variety of high-level motorcycle racing classes is reassuring to many. The*ECE R22-05 has more in common with the DOT standard than either the Snell M2005 or M2010 standard, an*ECE R22-05 certified helmet are likely to pass the DOT test and vice-versa.
Chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:35 AM   #44

1998 Suzuki TL1000s
2000 Suzuki DR-Z400
1996 Kawasaki KX60
1980 honda CB900c bobber

Originally Posted by Aijay View Post
I could take a brain bucket and plate it in gold to make it cost $10k but wouldn't save your life worth a .

Price point isn't what saves your noggin. Go to a shop, get fitted and try on a bunch of different ones. Some of the cheaper brand might actually fit better than the higher end brands. For me, Shoei seems to fit the best, stock. Never played around with different cheek inserts and what not.
i bought a BILT from cycle gear and fits better than any helmet ive tried on, now my first lid was an HJC and it saved my life when i went down, both really inexpensive helmets
Two is greater than four.
coreyTLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:54 AM   #45

Experience: 4-8 months

I have had an arai corsar V, shoei RF1000, and an older HJC not sure on model. While all are untested as far as head impact goes. the shoei was the most comfortable untill it got hot,then the arai shined with far superior ventilation and was the one that most felt like part of me instead of somthing on my head. i never liked my HJC it just didnt fit ME right my$0.02
Eric6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:42 AM   #46
Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

the more expensive the helmet the better the protection? well, to a point that is true. However once you get to the point of paying for the quality construction and the expense of doing the testing to make sure it meets and gets all the standards rating you have spent enough... when you get to the $400+ anything more than that IMO is for the looks, the graphics, which give you no added protection..
so IMO any good quality helmet will do and the thing that becomes the most important in my mind is the fit...a high dollar helmet that does not fit you right will not protect you to its capacity... I wear a shoei because i like the fit of it... when time comes to get a new one, I will again go with the high quality helmet that gives me the best fit. I probably would not buy a helmet that only met the dot specs, but I will buy the one that fits the best.
not having any real bearing on the topic of the OP, but something that is important to me is that I will also buy from a local merchant rather than on line, that way I do two things, one is i get to try it on, the one I am going to buy, not a representative model... and two is that I believe in supporting the local folks who support us.
Be Free, Have Fun.... Give None, Take None

Last edited by obed; 04-26-2012 at 11:44 AM.
obed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:01 PM   #47
Yes that's my name.
Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 6 years

2010 Yamaha R6
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
2002 Suzuki SV650N
2005 Honda CBR 600RR (Stolen, Recovered)
2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (Sold)

+1 Obed. Plus if anything goes wrong the local shop can help you out with it right away and get you back on the road.
Hung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #48
Feedback Rating: (2)

2006 Yamaha R1

Doesn't matter how pretty your helmet is, if it's uncomfortable you won't wear it.
Chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:02 PM   #49

'12 R1200 GS ADV
'09 Versys
'01 XT 225 (sold) :(

Member Garage

Snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:08 PM   #50
what R you lookin' at?
Feedback Rating: (26)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 8

'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

right, a plain Arai Corsair is $570
2014 GROM
181cc's BABY!
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:58 PM   #51

2011 Kawasaki Versys
2007 Honda Shadow

Helmet Models are different shapes, even among the same manufacturer. Finding the correct shape to match your head is crucial for both safety and comfort. The so-called "best" helmet in the world is nearly worthless if it doesn't fit, and sometimes a less expensive helmet will fit better than a helmet costing several hundred dollars.

Finding the "perfect" fit is sometimes extremely difficult. I went to multiple dealerships to try on nearly every helmet model, CycleGear doesn't carry many brands anymore. I tried on Arai, Shoei, HJC, Suomy, GMAX, Scorpion, Bell, Nolan, Fulmer, Shark, 707, BiLT, and probably a couple others that I can't recall currently.

I figured out that I wear a medium Shoei, vs the large helmet I was replacing, and realized how much my old helmet had broken in and was too large for me now.

You should be able to put the helmet on, and wear it for 10-15 minutes without discomfort, but you should feel the helmet on you. You should be able to grab the chin bar and not be able to move the helmet around. If it moves side to side and up and down now, then it's going to be much worse in a couple months. My old helmet I could pull down or up enough to obscure my vision. You should feel the helmet snug against the entire crown of your head, not just one or two spots. If not, the helmet isn't quite the right shape.
Phydeaux_Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote