MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2012, 05:43 PM   #61
iBang

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'01 SV650N
'04 R1

I mounted up the ignition today. For anyone going through the problems with the ignition not clearing the frame on a gsxr swap, your prayers are answered, someone is going to post pics of what needs to be done. I looked forever and could only find people saying "slot the holes and file down the ignition.

Here's what I did:

First I drilled out the holes in the ignition larger. To make it to where the bolts could be offset a bit I replaced the stock security torx bolts with socket head allen bolts. The thread size is 8mm x 1.25 for those curious. Then I took my bench belt sander to the side of the ignition that faces the frame. I went ahead and brought that face down until the locking pin wasn't recessed any more. You could also do this with a file or dremel and some patience, the bench grinder is just fast and clean.

Here's the modified ignition:

Ian's $500 '01 SV650 naked build

And here's how it looks all together:

The steering lock isn't working but I took a close look at it and it looks like the ignition sits a little higher in the gsxr triple and the pin is above the notch. I'll space the ignition down with a washer on each side and it ought to match up. Unfortunately it will lock straight ahead, but at least it will lock. Eventually I'll probably source up a set of triples with a straight ahead ignition position to fix that.
iBang is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2000 SV650 naked potential TMAX General Discussion (Moto Related) 18 03-27-2013 11:34 PM
Ian's CRF250R build iBang General Discussion (Moto Related) 21 07-20-2012 12:45 AM
Anyone build a 500 2stroke motard locally? BYRDMAN Super Motards 30 08-04-2011 04:19 PM
01 naked f41 wont start GABRIEL How To's and Q & A's 4 04-15-2007 03:56 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-06-2012, 03:15 PM   #62
iBang

Bike(s):
'01 SV650N
'04 R1

These just showed up this morning:

Headlight brackets courtesy of McMaster Carr. The photo I took with my cell phone makes them look like but they look great in person. They are industrial brackets so I was a little worried that they were going to end up looking cheap but actually they look great. High quality molded rubber instead of the cheap strip stuff I was expecting and the gold finish is a bonus as well. I still may powdercoat them but we'll see how they look first.

I also got the seller of my front end to track down the $20 top nut to my swap and had him mail it to me, so I should have that pretty quick. Hopefully I have everything ready for a first test ride before the end of the week!
Old 06-10-2012, 02:28 PM   #63
iBang

Bike(s):
'01 SV650N
'04 R1

I spent a bit of yesterday and today making all of the brackets necessary to mount up the headlight and gauge cluster. I ended up with something that isn't actually that far off from the original headlight mount. Here's some pictures of it mocked up today. Everything still needs to be taken apart, the brackets powder coated, all the temporary hardware replaced with stainless steel, and put back together and torqued to spec, so please ignore the rough corners.

I also put the belly pan back on and set the new front flyscreen on to see how it looked.

Now I just need to finish off a couple brackets to mount the windscreen and I'll be ready to move on to powder coat and re-assemble.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:34 PM   #64
moose2590
Chris

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
06' GSXR 600
05' Ninja 636 (SOLD)

man good job! keep it up man
moose2590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:54 PM   #65
iBang

Bike(s):
'01 SV650N
'04 R1

Wow, was it really three months I let this sit? Whatever.

I got off the other day when I wanted to go for a quick ride and said " it, I'm finishing it" and threw the bike together and went for a ride.

It rode and all but was somewhat disapointing. There was a big clunk in the front end, the wires were all routed wrong, hitting the tank, couldn't turn very far one way... generally not working well.

After I let it sit a bit I put some time in and did things right. I torqued down the head a little more to get rid of the clunk, worked a lot on routing the wires better, and finally went through all of the improvised hardware and replaced it with the final stainless stuff.

I still have to swap the speedo sensor over from the other front end, but this will do it for a while until I start to tackle the cosmetic stuff like paint and powdercoating.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:01 PM   #66
brian1570
Incognito

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
07 Dynasaur
09 GSXR600(sold)
06 CBR600RR(wrecked)
04 Buell lightning(sold)
08 nightster(sold)

thing is gonna be sick. its already sick.
brian1570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:15 PM   #67
iBang

Bike(s):
'01 SV650N
'04 R1

Another month and a half down the line and I've done a little bit more with the bike.

First up I changed my mind about my trip to TN and decided to go to the dragon after all. I'd run the dragon earlier this year with my existing rear tire but it was really flat spotted and rather hard so with the nice Q2 that came with the front end taunting me, I decided it was time for fresh rubber on the back. House of paint hooked me up with a smoking deal on a S20 with install. Seriously guys, you are awesome. I don't even know how you can do so much better than everywhere else on price, but so long as you're making money, keep it up! I would have gone with a matching Q2 (same price) but unfortunately the trip was a last minute thing and there was a good chance that shipping wouldn't get my tire here in time. The S20 could be had the next day so I went with it.

Other than the tire I did a little more cable routing, checked my chain tension (didn't need changing yet), mounted my speedo sensor and calibrated the vapor so the speed is accurate.

I don't have many pictures but there are a couple videos

Another month and a half down the line and I've done a little bit more with the bike.

First up I changed my mind about my trip to TN and decided to go to the dragon after all. I'd run the dragon earlier this year with my existing rear tire but it was really flat spotted and rather hard so with the nice Q2 that came with the front end taunting me, I decided it was time for fresh rubber on the back. House of paint hooked me up with a smoking deal on a S20 with install. Seriously guys, you are awesome. I don't even know how you can do so much better than everywhere else on price, but so long as you're making money, keep it up! I would have gone with a matching Q2 (same price) but unfortunately the trip was a last minute thing and there was a good chance that shipping wouldn't get my tire here in time. The S20 could be had the next day so I went with it.

Other than the tire I did a little more cable routing, checked my chain tension (didn't need changing yet), mounted my speedo sensor and calibrated the vapor so the speed is accurate.

I don't have many pictures but here's a video

The bike performed awesome. The front end really inspires a lot more confidence than it did last time with the stock parts. The rubber was nice and sticky and I like the bar pressure with the new bars a lot better than the old setup. My only complaints are that I really could use some braided brake lines for better initial bite, the stock rear shock is really showing its inferiority with the fresh front end, and I should have put the peg relocating brackets back on. I only scratched the peg really bad once when I wasn't concentrating as hard as I should and didn't lean, but it was enough. I definitely need those brackets before the bike goes anywhere near the track.

I also got a little time after I got back to start on some appearance work. Its just a temporary fix, but I got after the silver on the back and chrome on the headlight with a little plastidip which cleaned things up quite nicely. Ultimately everything will be done with paint and powder coat, but this is a great way to get the bike looking nice in the mean time.

Last edited by iBang; 10-30-2012 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:40 PM   #68
Joshua42007

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
06' GSX-R 1000

Awesome build thread! Some amazing work, thanks for sharing. I just rode my buddies 05 SV650 this year, I loved it.
Joshua42007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:47 PM   #69
Danurse
Squid pro-quo

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2003 SV1000-N
Haro ICS 4.0 moutain bike :/

Well done Ian!!
I wish I had the time and mechanical know how to do some work on my SV..
Danurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 11:57 AM   #70
tmandmc
That one dude.

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2008 FZ6

Member Garage

Just read through the thread, and man this is an amazing build!
tmandmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 12:45 PM   #71
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

When I first saw the pic of your SV, I didn't realize where you first started with this bike. Gorgeous work and fantastic how it turned out. I can't wait to throw the gixxer forks on mine.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:53 AM   #72
iBang

Bike(s):
'01 SV650N
'04 R1

So this build isn't done yet. Those who follow my R1 thread and adventures know that it unfortunately fell on the SV a while back dinging both bikes up. Being the new toy, and wanting to put it up for sale, got attention first. With it out of the way I decided it was time to put some effort into the old SV.

The damage from the R1 fall included a bunch of cracks to my solo cowl, a tear in the seat, and worst of all, a heavy dent on the tank.

IMG 0552 web

Fortunately, the same neighbor that did the wonderful paint work on my R1 caught wind of my thoughts about selling my trailer and offered to trade a nice bit of work on various vehicles for it. The SV of course was on that list

Here's the tank after some pulling and metalwork. I'm impressed. Its hard to tell from the pictures but on average there will be less than 1/32" of body filler on there. There should be no problems at all with cracking from excess body filler! A #1 job from my bodyman.

IMG 0633 Small

Of course all the other parts will be getting fresh paint but that is still to come. For now while she's naked I'm taking care of a few things including cleaning the carbs which have become gummed up from too much sitting. I also tracked down the fan switch I ordered forever ago and never installed. I'll get that sorted out while she's down for paint.

More to come soon!
Old 07-30-2013, 06:15 PM   #73
iBang

Bike(s):
'01 SV650N
'04 R1

Progress comes in pretty colors. This is what she's looked like for the past month or so:

IMG 5900 web

IMG 5915 web

I worked out a trade with my paint guy and as always, cash customers tend to get attention first so things have gone slow. Fortunately, they are moving along. I stopped in today to get some pics of everything in primer, but found I was a little late. A good portion of my parts were hanging up with fresh paint on them.

IMG 5896 web

Look at that sexy red. Yeah, I stuck with the factory red color. The bike just looked too good in its Suzuki colors to switch to anything else, no matter how fun it would have been to change it up.

IMG 5898 web

Remember that faux carbon fiber belly pan with the big crack in it? No more!

IMG 5897 web

All the parts look outstanding and I just can't wait to get it home and put it all back together again!
Old 07-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #74
650ninja
speed is lovely

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 650r sold :(
02 daytona 955i is fat sold
06' Triumph Daytona 675 sold D:
2003 sv650 distroyer of fingers sold
2004 gsxr 600

u could sell ot for a 1k profit now. Great work ur a inspiration
Old 07-31-2013, 01:50 AM   #75
iBang

Bike(s):
'01 SV650N
'04 R1

Probably. I haven't calculated what I have in it recently but I bet its still under or around $2K. Its certainly worth more than that. I don't really want to sell it anyway. It is worth more to me than the money I could get for it.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:25 PM   #76
SideVinder650

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki SV650 2nd gen

Hey yo mentioned you got a chain and sprocket for $110, were these new items and would you care to let me know where you bought them from this is a great price.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:44 PM   #77
iBang

Bike(s):
'01 SV650N
'04 R1

Ebay. I don't remember the seller any more but I just searched there. I don't recall if it was a package deal or not. It was a pretty cheap chain, not a name brand. At the time I was short on cash and needed it pretty bad so I went the cheepo route.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:55 PM   #78
iBang

Bike(s):
'01 SV650N
'04 R1

Did a little more work on the SV. The paint has turned into a fiasco so I'm putting that aside and working on the wiring.

Before:

IMG 6040 web

Removed this much :

IMG 6045 web

Still need to pick up some looking materials and get the rest of it cleaned up but this should make things a lot nicer behind the headlight and coming down from the vapor.

Also should have some shots of the finished paint soon.