MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2012, 01:51 PM   #41
iBang

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'01 SV650N
'04 R1

I'll use whatever tools I need for a job. When you need to fold something up out of sheet metal, how else can you mock it up? You have to have something that can be cut, adjusted, taped together, folded, then unfolded into a pattern once you are done. Thin cardboard does that great. I uesd a frozen pizza box for that piece.

The end result was near perfect. I didn't take into account that metal has a much larger radius to bend than paper thin cardboard so I had to file on the notches a little to get them to fit, but everything else came together as planned.

Not much of an update but the bike went through inspection without a hitch today. I had to rig up one of those ugly horns temporarily to get it passed but it did. I'll get a fresh stock (or similar) horn soon enough and get it hidden up in the stock location.
iBang is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2000 SV650 naked potential TMAX General Discussion (Moto Related) 18 03-27-2013 11:34 PM
Ian's CRF250R build iBang General Discussion (Moto Related) 21 07-20-2012 12:45 AM
Anyone build a 500 2stroke motard locally? BYRDMAN Super Motards 30 08-04-2011 04:19 PM
01 naked f41 wont start GABRIEL How To's and Q & A's 4 04-15-2007 03:56 PM
Advertisement
Old 05-19-2012, 07:51 PM   #42
iBang

Bike(s):
'01 SV650N
'04 R1

Old 05-19-2012, 08:18 PM   #43
loosenoose
veteran novice

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

i like what you've done here and hate you for it. the bike is going places and looking great
thumbs up
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:57 PM   #44
aznconquerer

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
1992 Honda VFR750 street fighter
1986 Yamaha FZ600 project bike

Favor man I have a trail tech hook up on my bfd street fighter was wondering if you can pm me or email me some pictures on how you hook them up thanks man
aznconquerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:25 PM   #45
loosenoose
veteran novice

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

check google and youtube. they know how. also get a friend you know irl that knows how to work on cars or bikes to help you out. vapor says its easy, but dont believe it until it's done.
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:29 PM   #46
iBang

Bike(s):
'01 SV650N
'04 R1

The vapor is screwy since the directions don't match reality. The water temp and speedo are easy enough. The tach is the screw part. My kit had a line with the appropriate resistor already in place and I just hooked it up to the tach signal line that the original gauge used. Works great!

I am kind of thinking of going another direction with my gauge though and giving this one to chix for the naked conversion on her SV. We'll see...
Old 05-19-2012, 11:50 PM   #47
aznconquerer

Bike(s):

ive all ready attach the spedo and tach but tach is just running crazy...i followed the direction of coiling it around the spark plug cable and it worked but i guess not calibrated...cause it wont follow the numbers when i rev only goes up to 2000 rpm max rev...im guessing its 2000rpm at the number 2 mark on the trail tech
Old 05-20-2012, 01:07 AM   #48
iBang

Bike(s):
'01 SV650N
'04 R1

That's what will get you. Those instructions aren't necessarily accurate any more. Did you get a bike specific kit? If you did, chances are that you need to strip the tach wire and solder it to the wire that used to feed the old gauge cluster RPM signal. The coil wrap method is more a dirt bike thing where you don't have a signal wire to tap into.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:20 AM   #49
aznconquerer

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBang View Post
That's what will get you. Those instructions aren't necessarily accurate any more. Did you get a bike specific kit? If you did, chances are that you need to strip the tach wire and solder it to the wire that used to feed the old gauge cluster RPM signal. The coil wrap method is more a dirt bike thing where you don't have a signal wire to tap into.
ya i got the sv trail tech kit...so i must need to solder it and i must need to find the old rpm gauge line....they said something about putting it direct to the spark plugs.....i might try that 1st lol
Old 05-20-2012, 01:34 AM   #50
iBang

Bike(s):
'01 SV650N
'04 R1

Oh, its for an SV? I saw a different bike in your info and wasn't sure.

Yeah, if it is an SV, you solder it into the tach line if it is the SV specific kit. Don't try to wrap it on the plug.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:46 AM   #51
aznconquerer

Bike(s):

ya the kit is for sv650....i ride a vfr750....called the trail tech people and they said it should work fine...but ya ill see what i can do once i attach it to the spark plug or the old tach line

oh how did you estimate the spedo....i tryed the wheel base diameter thing but i think the spedo is a bit 10 or 5 mile ahead what did you put as a wheel size?

Last edited by aznconquerer; 05-20-2012 at 01:48 AM.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:32 PM   #52
iBang

Bike(s):
'01 SV650N
'04 R1

Haven't messed with it actually. Stock it is about 15mph off at highway speeds. I have to redo it for my gixxer front end and I ran out of time before my trip anyway.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:59 PM   #53
iBang

Bike(s):
'01 SV650N
'04 R1

Well I managed to get out and get to work on the SV a little. Time for pics of the front end in the air, right?

WRONG!

As it always seems to go with us, things chance on a moment's notice. I was checking to see what prices RC51's are right now when I stumbled across this diamond in the rough

12 600x408

22 600x408

I'd always kind of wanted to try out an RC51 and the price was right, AND I'd just sold my ninja 250 and had a pile of cash handy. A couple clicks on ebay later and I became the proud owner of another honda sport bike.

So, that mean the end of the SV project? NOT A CHANCE! Actually it worked out quite nicely. My fiancee hasn't really been thrilled with her SV650S and she agreed that we would sell her bike and replace it with the RC. Of course I'm not letting it go with all the trick parts still in place so the great swap fest started.

The biggest item I'm thrilled to get is her full yoshi system:

Ian's $500 '01 SV650 naked build

I did have some really cool ideas for a custom exhaust, but to be honest I KNOW this will sound better than what I had in mind, perform better, and didn't cost me anything.

Along with the exhaust I also swapped carbs between bikes to get the jet kit to match the pipes. If you're wondering why I didn't just swap jets - the carbs had to come out either way so why not just swap them rather than cracking them open.

I also swapped over the solo cowl and peg eliminator bracket for the exhaust. Really happy with how the rear end looks without the pegs!

The paint scheme is starting to look a little patchy with the silver solo cowl and its only going to get worse when I put on the front end with its black fender and... another little piece I'm keeping under wraps for now. Just stick with me - paint is in the future for this bike, just stick tight while I get everything else taken care of.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:03 PM   #54
iBang

Bike(s):
'01 SV650N
'04 R1

Just had a little brainstorm and decided to see where I was at with the bike financially. My target was to be in under $2000 invested for a sweet v-twin naked bike.

Bike - $500
Radiator - $70
Vapor - $105
Chain/sprockets - $110
Grips - $7
Front end - $300
Top steering stem bearing - $45

Total so far: $1137. Not bad! Even with the remainder of the parts I have in mind for the bike and paint, I ought to hit the $2000 mark without too much trouble!
Old 05-23-2012, 01:12 PM   #55
iBang

Bike(s):
'01 SV650N
'04 R1

Oh yeah, you can bet that there's going to be another build thread for the RC! Probably not as much custom work on it, mostly restoration. Should be a fairly short project if all goes well.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:20 PM   #56
iBang

Bike(s):
'01 SV650N
'04 R1

All right, front end swap time. My top bearing showed up today. Just ordered it yesterday, talk about great service!

First item of business was getting the top triple clamp ready to go. It still had the ignition in it which the person who parted the bike attempted to remove and failed. A little time with an angle grander and my vice later and I had that out.

With that out of the way I could proceed to restoring the finish. I don't know how the wreck was that this bike went through but it somehow rashed up the top of the clamp.

Here's how it looked when I started:

Fortunately, due to the design of the clamp, I was able to use my belt sander to clean up the top finish and restore a nice brushed aluminum surface. I kind of like the two-tone finish, but if it clashes when I install it I'll either get it re-anodized or powder coat it.

Not bad for something that would have otherwise gone into the junk pile!

Now its on to picking up a ladder to support the bike from while I remove the old front end.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:23 PM   #57
iBang

Bike(s):
'01 SV650N
'04 R1

464318 10102062690598380 1831594748 o

I'll just leave this here for now
Old 05-29-2012, 11:49 PM   #58
whomikedao
Physicist

Bike(s):
'09 Kawasaki Ninja 250r(sold)
'05 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636(sold)
Honda Rebel 250

More updates!
whomikedao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:09 PM   #59
iBang

Bike(s):
'01 SV650N
'04 R1

All right, today I got a bit more knocked out on the swap. First thing first, I started working on mounting the bar risers. Everyone else I have seen has used aftermarket risers, and while that isn't out of the question, I would really rather save $50-100 if possible. Instead, I started playing with locations for the stock risers.

First I marked with some tape for the holes:

Then I drilled them on my drill press and bolted up the stock risers. You will note that I had to file a little off of the front of one riser to clear the ignition area.

I also went ahead and put everything together non-torqued for a good mockup. I still have to take it all apart to mount the headlight and vapor so I didn't bother with a lot of things, but here's a pic while it was together.

All and all its coming along nicely. There's plenty of work left, but I'm figuring it out at a nice pace.

Next I'll tackle swapping the brake lines between bikes. If I'm not mistaken I should be able to run my stock naked brake lines on the gsxr master cylinder and calipers.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:53 PM   #60
iBang

Bike(s):
'01 SV650N
'04 R1

Got a little more done yesterday and today. I swapped brake lines between the bikes and managed to come up with a system that routed the SV brake lines decently on the gsxr forks. I still want to get some new full braided lines that will allow me to really route things nicely, but that can wait for another day and some more money.

This morning I placed an order for all the hardware to mount the headlight on the new forks. Cross fingers everything I came up with works out.