MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2012, 09:24 PM   #21
spywall

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2011 Suzuki DL-650

Member Garage

RIP to the rider and peace to his family and friends...
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spicewood Annual Destruction Derby 2012 zerobounds Off Topic 1 09-17-2012 07:43 AM
one man destruction derby in galvez craigntx Off Topic 3 09-15-2010 10:01 AM
Houston Motor vehicle Destruction Derby specterunseen General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 04-15-2008 05:57 PM
Certificate of Destruction Question. TRD23 General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 12-17-2005 10:50 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-21-2012, 12:16 AM   #22
debit_debit
Dat photoshoop

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2007 Suzuki Gsx-r 600
2005 Suzuki Gsx-r 600
1986 Honda VF500F

Quote:
Originally Posted by supadupa View Post
EVERY time a rider is killed by a car they throw some bs about speeding in whether they were or not. (Yes I've seen cops pull this out of their A** when a friend got hit that was doing 35)

I tend to take the riders side because it sure as wouldn't have been ok for them to pull out in front of a speeding bus. They would feel pretty stupid and get all the blame. Since it was a bike......the rider is the stupid one. Funny how that works when they shift the consequences they shift the blame.
(Some) cops don't want to do the due diligence. Much easier to blame the side carrying a stronger stereotype, also harder for the "at-fault" to fight in court. Happens to minorities all the time. Bikers are the minority group on the road.

RIP, prayers w/ the family
debit_debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:21 AM   #23
xtelevisionset
Think Fast

Bike(s):
Suzuki GS500 2002

Well, his buddy stayed at the scene. I guess he may have told what happened to the police?

RIP, these threads break my heart.

Until I'm parking in an ally just hoping that my is safe.
xtelevisionset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:33 AM   #24
debit_debit
Dat photoshoop

Bike(s):
2007 Suzuki Gsx-r 600
2005 Suzuki Gsx-r 600
1986 Honda VF500F

Let's hope so..

But guilt by association, my friend.

Article Comment #2: "Anyone want to bet that it was a crotch rocket? For whatever reason, riders of those seem to lose the ability to think."

Article Comment #4: "Look like the guy drove like hayale......and got there right on time...."
debit_debit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:24 AM   #25
Ulric
Dirty Old

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
EVERY time a rider is killed by a car they throw some bs about speeding in whether they were or not. (Yes I've seen cops pull this out of their A** when a friend got hit that was doing 35)

I tend to take the riders side because it sure as wouldn't have been ok for them to pull out in front of a speeding bus. They would feel pretty stupid and get all the blame. Since it was a bike......the rider is the stupid one. Funny how that works when they shift the consequences they shift the blame.

...and a lot of 'riders' like to claim ^ like above too. Funny thing, it's NOT that hard to determine if speed was a possible factor due to level of damage, travel distance, skid marks etc.

It's also easier to see/recognize (and less likely for a bus to be doing) doing 10, 15 or 20+ over the speed limit than it is a motorcycle.

Did your 'friend' live or was he killed @ the scene?
Old 04-21-2012, 06:45 AM   #26
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:

Yep.. and in just about every case, the bike WAS speeding, and usually not just 5 over.

Sad to say but people, even riders themselves, have a hard time seeing and judging the speed of an approaching bike.

If you ride the streets expecting people to cut you slack and watch for you, then you are the "stupid" one.

We're invisible, until we do something stupid like haul thru traffic or wheelie down a crowded highway.. then EVERYONE sees and remembers us.

Call it a stereotype, and it is.. and we brought it upon ourselves by all the -hattery.
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:12 AM   #27
supadupa

Feedback Rating: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
...and a lot of 'riders' like to claim ^ like above too. Funny thing, it's NOT that hard to determine if speed was a possible factor due to level of damage, travel distance, skid marks etc.

It's also easier to see/recognize (and less likely for a bus to be doing) doing 10, 15 or 20+ over the speed limit than it is a motorcycle.

Did your 'friend' live or was he killed @ the scene?

I've had several friends that lived & one that didn't. It always seemed to go the same. We were riding in a group and the car turned between bikes like he hadn't seen any of us. We were doing under the limit approaching a light but "they must have been speeding" was thrown out immediately.

One of the investigators told me that skid measurements n the like have little bearing on MC's. Bikes slide and damage unpredictably due to their shape & makeup. Too many variables for consistency. They can give you an idea..........but they can also be VERY misleading.

As a police officer don't you get tired of people justifying their CRIME by insinuating something about someone else being at fault? They failed to safely enter traffic regardless of what was coming down the road. Why is that the victims fault.
supadupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:24 AM   #28
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
I've had several friends that lived & one that didn't. It always seemed to go the same. We were riding in a group and the car turned between bikes like he hadn't seen any of us. We were doing under the limit approaching a light but "they must have been speeding" was thrown out immediately.

One of the investigators told me that skid measurements n the like have little bearing on MC's. Bikes slide and damage unpredictably due to their shape & makeup. Too many variables for consistency. They can give you an idea..........but they can also be VERY misleading.

As a police officer don't you get tired of people justifying their CRIME by insinuating something about someone else being at fault? They failed to safely enter traffic regardless of what was coming down the road. Why is that the victims fault.
You specified 1 accident, thats the one we're talking about... did that rider live or die? However since you mention investigator, then it seems you should be aware the level of investigation done is different between the typical accident and one involving a fatality.

Why don't you explain how one can 'safely enter traffic, if say the cross traffic happens to be some dipshit doing 85 mph in a 35 mph zone?

...or how about another example a few years ago on 1960... a SuV pulled out on 1960 and got hit by a sportbike, based on circumstances you would have the SuV at fault no matter what.
Now let's consider that it was dark, the bike was moving faster than traffic and had it's headlight pionted at the sky. How the do you expect the driver of the SuV to see the bike, much less assess it's closing speed?
Old 04-21-2012, 07:27 AM   #29
CraigRR
CMRA # 147

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2009 Honda CBR 1000RR ABS
2011 EX250NinjaR
2001 Yamaha TTR-L (sold to Jimrad)
2015 KTM RC 390 CUP

.... R.I.P.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:53 AM   #30
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Quote:

i take the public side, cuz i know how stupid people on sportbikes can be.......
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:08 AM   #31
wesleh

Feedback Rating: (11)

Bike(s):
08 R6

RIP
Old 04-21-2012, 11:23 AM   #32
dontbap()ssy

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
04 R6 (sold)
04 R1 (donated to the track gods)
08 MV Agusta F4 312R (sold)
10 duc 1198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulric View Post
You specified 1 accident, thats the one we're talking about... did that rider live or die? However since you mention investigator, then it seems you should be aware the level of investigation done is different between the typical accident and one involving a fatality.

Why don't you explain how one can 'safely enter traffic, if say the cross traffic happens to be some dipshit doing 85 mph in a 35 mph zone?

...or how about another example a few years ago on 1960... a SuV pulled out on 1960 and got hit by a sportbike, based on circumstances you would have the SuV at fault no matter what.
Now let's consider that it was dark, the bike was moving faster than traffic and had it's headlight pionted at the sky. How the do you expect the driver of the SuV to see the bike, much less assess it's closing speed?
I think I remember that one , was it a silver and blue busa ? If the riders were doing 40-50 mph it wouldnt have take long for them to stop and even if there was impact it would have been minimal . Supadupa sorry for your loss , I lost a friend on 1960 when a 18 wheeler pulled in front of him but my friend was clearly at fault and it was very hard to to come to terms with it
dontbap()ssy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:28 AM   #33
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbap()ssy View Post
I think I remember that one , was it a silver and blue busa ? If the riders were doing 40-50 mph it wouldnt have take long for them to stop and even if there was impact it would have been minimal . Supadupa sorry for your loss , I lost a friend on 1960 when a 18 wheeler pulled in front of him but my friend was clearly at fault and it was very hard to to come to terms with it
Don't recall honestly... what stuck most in mind where the dipshits wanting to blame and attack the person driving the SuV.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:47 AM   #34
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

21 year olds on sportbikes don't speed: Fact
FYI, the speed limit on Fairlake is 30 mph

Last edited by Bevo; 04-23-2012 at 05:50 AM.
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:21 AM   #35
Ulric
Dirty Old

Bike(s):
05 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevo View Post
21 year olds on sportbikes don't speed: Fact
FYI, the speed limit on Fairlake is 30 mph
...I think you're right, I think most try for NoE flight.

Advertisement