MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's.....
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2012, 12:12 AM   #1
invision

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
SV650S/F k4
98 CBR600F3 Trackbike project

The one where I break everything

Check out this thing that followed me home yesterday
JAhan

Pretty cool huh?

Got that badboy home and unloaded it.
XNIO8l

New to me 98 YZ125. FMF pipe, Excel wheels, Oneindustries seat cover, aftermarket folding shift lever, and some other goodies. Traded my project CBR for it.

So I spent today bleeding the brakes and doing minor stuff to it, so hey, time for a test ride, right?

I managed a good 20 minutes of tearing up the front yard before it went *CRACK CRACK* then stopped. Tried to kick it over and it was seized!

I've never had a 2t before, so this is all a new thing for me.

Finally got her tore down and look what I see...

NpXFth
kVIqVh
Cd3rPh
rU3duh
CXfyWh
FgLo1h

So fellow motohouston members, where do I start with getting this thing back together, and how much is it gonna cost me?
invision is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
break in Grimace General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 10-29-2010 07:07 AM
on break bunxx Off Topic 4 07-30-2009 05:39 PM
Break in? NiS13 General Discussion (Moto Related) 32 03-14-2009 09:27 AM
Just saw this on Break.com TheRRguy Off Topic 7 08-08-2008 10:40 PM
Break in TxVrod Off Topic 10 06-15-2006 02:35 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-20-2012, 12:40 AM   #2
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

sleeve, piston and rings. Check connecting rod and crank for damage. Gonna need to clean all the bits and pieces of the piston out.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:48 AM   #3
Lokati
Not-a-squid

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
06 ZX6r (the last of the 636)
----------------------
Previously owned (most recently at least):
09 ZX10r, 08 250r, 08 Busa, 07 GSXR 600, 06 CBR 600rr, a couple 50s, 02 R6, '00 Mille, '00 R1

Member Garage

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-2000-YZ...#ht_1429wt_886

done and done
Lokati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 01:27 AM   #4
invision

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
SV650S/F k4
98 CBR600F3 Trackbike project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japawhat02 View Post
sleeve, piston and rings. Check connecting rod and crank for damage. Gonna need to clean all the bits and pieces of the piston out.
Is this going to be a "split the case to clean it out" deal or is there some easier way that I'm not aware of?
invision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:59 AM   #5
Squanto84
Ruh Roh..

Feedback Rating: (7)

Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

you don't need to split cases unless there is something wrong with the crank/main bearings. best thing to do is remove the rest of the motor from the frame and fill the crankcase with gasoline, slosh, dump, repeat while turning the crank slowly to be sure there is no foreign objects in the bearings. If you are not 100% sure how to check the big end or main bearings, take the motor by a KNOWLEDGEABLE motorcycle shop (or automotive machine shop at the least). You will need to have your cylinder inspected and bored before ordering a piston. There were no pictures of the cylinder walls, so I can't tell if you need to have it welded up bore boring and plating or not. I can recommend a very good place to take (or ship if you really are in beaumont) your cylinder to for the repair/replate.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:01 AM   #6
kdog22
Wheelie it son..

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
2004 Honda xr50
1991 Honda z50
2004 WR450 Supermoto
1988 Honda ZB50 - For Sale

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japawhat02 View Post
Yes. OR you can browse ebay for a used cyliners. Sometimes you can get lucky and find one in good condition for cheaper than what it will cost to buy a sleeve and have it re-sleeved. That's what i did on my current yz125 project on the side.

You may even want to just bore it out and step up to a big bore 134cc kit but i'd just keep it stock to keep things easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokati View Post
Almost. There's a 99% chance that the cylinder is scarred up and needs re-sleeving with how that piston broke apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invision View Post
Is this going to be a "split the case to clean it out" deal or is there some easier way that I'm not aware of?
When you take the cylinder off, look around for metal chunks, particles or shavings in the crank area. You can also turn the crank and see if you feel or hear any grinding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Muhammad.........Nostradamus..........Kdog
The cycle continues.
kdog22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:02 AM   #7
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squanto84 View Post
you don't need to split cases unless there is something wrong with the crank/main bearings. best thing to do is remove the rest of the motor from the frame and fill the crankcase with gasoline, slosh, dump, repeat while turning the crank slowly to be sure there is no foreign objects in the bearings. If you are not 100% sure how to check the big end or main bearings, take the motor by a KNOWLEDGEABLE motorcycle shop (or automotive machine shop at the least). You will need to have your cylinder inspected and bored before ordering a piston. There were no pictures of the cylinder walls, so I can't tell if you need to have it welded up bore boring and plating or not. I can recommend a very good place to take (or ship if you really are in beaumont) your cylinder to for the repair/replate.
Listen to this guy
Old 04-20-2012, 08:07 AM   #8
easyriderZX10R

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
2007 ZX10R SE sold
Yamaha Road Star 1700
08 harley ultra classic
02 harley electra glide
Santa Cruz Bullet / Super T pro

Rat Racing by skeeters motorcross track on 517 can re-nikasil your cylinder in a few days. instead of buying a new one....especially if it has been ported out. (beats sending it off) I have sent shifterkart CR 125 cylinders for repair there before.
ps. yamaha of troy used to keep the cylinders in stock too...
best regards,

Advertisement