MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2012, 03:35 PM   #1
ecclissiass

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2009 Yamaha YZF-R1 (stolen)
2005 Honda CBR600RR (traded)
1993 Honda CBR900RR (wrecked)
2012 Kawasaki ZX-14R
Ducati Diavel (dream bike #2)

Member Garage

Post sportbike vs cruisers/choppers

My title may seem a little misleading becuase this is not comparison between the two but rather the relationship between the two:

Today, while I was traveling on I-10, I decided to give my bike a little push, so I did. Loved it, especially when other cars would move out of my way when I came upon them. Well, I decided to move (and stay) in the far left lane and I came across a biker on a crusier/chopper. He was in the left most portion of the lane and I pulled within 15-20 yards behind him in the right most portion of the lane. And there we were, just cruising at speed for about 3-5 miles when he took his right hand pointed down and flicked his hand in a motion to suggest to go ahead and pass him. I took the opportunity to blast by him and gave him the customary two-fingered left handed (thanks bro, nice little mini session) hand gesture. Then it occurred to me that maybe he was really just getting me off his instead of (what I thought) was as a friendly gesture. Funny thing also I would like to add. Before I even got on the 610 interstate to head to I-10. I was at the westheimer insection of 610 in the left lane to get on 610 north when I big suburban tried to merge into the entrance ramp wher I was. Well, me being smaller and faster I took full adavantage of my bikes quickness and swerved in the lane then applied a little brake to open up the lane to allow him entry. He must of misread my kindness and gave me the finger and jerked his vehicle back to the right and decided not to enter the on ramp. I was like, uh, okay. So, cars vs. bikes I kinda understand. But, sportbikes vs crusiers/choppers, I'm still a little confused...

Last edited by ecclissiass; 04-19-2012 at 03:37 PM.
ecclissiass is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Steel Unit Club meetup - event for new members ( Cruisers Bikes and Choppers) Edgar A. Events, Meets and Rides 9 08-19-2012 04:29 PM
choppers Moose9 General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 08-19-2011 04:21 PM
Cruisers or Sportbike Riders? Whos better? morvegil General Discussion (Moto Related) 36 05-24-2011 01:58 PM
Japanese choppers ScooterTrash General Discussion (Moto Related) 33 12-17-2010 12:10 AM
Cruisers- Choppers-Harleys Video StarC Cruisers Lounge 14 07-11-2005 06:21 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-19-2012, 03:45 PM   #2
Jonbones
MSRH Groundskeeper

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
gsxr 750 L1 (stolen)
Kawasaki Ninja 500R (Sold)

Jerkoffs drive and ride all sorts of vehicles
Jonbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:50 PM   #3
pinball
I got slow

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Nah...doubt if he was trying to get you off his . Probably just figured you wanted to go faster than him since you'd caught up to him.
pinball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:55 PM   #4
ecclissiass

Bike(s):
2012 Kawasaki ZX-14R

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinball View Post
Nah...doubt if he was trying to get you off his . Probably just figured you wanted to go faster than him since you'd caught up to him.
Well, yeah that is what I thought. In general, assuming I'm not dealing with a bandito, I always figured the realtionship was formally mutual with respect in both classes. In fact, while I have been away, I have noticed a greater presence of all genres of bikes (on wed night especially) sharing the meet spots and generally seeming to enjoy each others presence. It's pretty cool. I was just wondering what other peoples interactions may have been.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:07 PM   #5
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

You never know what's in somebody's head.
Maybe was waving you by or maybe he has the old skool mindset that he don't want anybody to think y'all were together.

You're right tho, there is a LOT more mingling and crossovers than there used to be. When I started riding in the 80's, when you waved at cruiser dudes, they would either flip you off or ignore you.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:19 PM   #6
Brutus

I don't think it's a type of bike issue. Some guys just get nervous when you follow them, just like running the Memorial Park track.
Brutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:23 PM   #7
ecclissiass

Bike(s):
2012 Kawasaki ZX-14R

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
I don't think it's a type of bike issue. Some guys just get nervous when you follow them, just like running the Memorial Park track.
And, as it relates to this comment, is it just me or everytime two sportbikes meet on the same road it turns into a "who is faster than who?". Usually, I let them speed off (during the day when there are a lot of cars on the road, heehee). Reminds me of the night when I was on my Honda CBR600RR and a Kawi 10R made a fool of me on I-10. It's all good. He left me looking crazy though, LOL!
Old 04-19-2012, 04:25 PM   #8
Joshua42007

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
06' GSX-R 1000

Not the bike, but the rider.

Every rider is different. This includes personality and attitudes.
Joshua42007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:51 PM   #9
ecclissiass

Bike(s):
2012 Kawasaki ZX-14R

Member Garage

Another thing I would like to point out is the amount of female riders that i've seen. I mean, the majority of female riders seem to ride sportbikes more than any other bike. I mean, "sportbike" using the general term that includes naked and mid fairing bikes alike. MAYBE I've seen a woman on a chopper once or twice but they seem to ride sportbikes more so than any other bike.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:52 PM   #10
xtelevisionset
Think Fast

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki GS500 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecclissiass View Post
Another thing I would like to point out is the amount of female riders that i've seen. I mean, the majority of female riders seem to ride sportbikes more than any other bike. I mean, "sportbike" using the general term that includes naked and mid fairing bikes alike. MAYBE I've seen a woman on a chopper once or twice but they seem to ride sportbikes more so than any other bike.
Yeah, only old fat ladies ride cruisers. From what I've seen.

I don't see any Motorrads in Houston, just the occasional bloke in ultra high-vis gear on a bmw with huuuuge ammo boxes on the sides.

Until I'm parking in an ally just hoping that my is safe.
xtelevisionset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:28 PM   #11
LCLF Brain
Mamaaaa! Yeah, mama!

Bike(s):
2014 stage 4 Street Glide
2011 Heritage Softail (sold)

Just my thought, he was waving you by because he thought you wanted by.

Honestly, I don't think cruiser riders over-think this kind of stuff too much. Most of us don't really care.

Unless you're disrespectful.
LCLF Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:37 PM   #12
DAT GUY

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
95 Sportster 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCLF Brain View Post
Just my thought, he was waving you by because he thought you wanted by.

Honestly, I don't think cruiser riders over-think this kind of stuff too much. Most of us don't really care.

Unless you're disrespectful.
+1 this thread made me lol
DAT GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:06 PM   #13
Reduxalicious
OR IS IT?!

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
2006 BMW K1200R
2016 BMW R1200R

He was just letting you go by him, It's not about what you ride, as long as your in the wind. There's jackasses everywhere, Most of the guys on cruisers I've met are nice people though. It only gets frustrating when you're on a back road cruising at your speed then get stuck behind a train of three wheelers going 55.. BUT That's a story for another time.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:55 PM   #14
bluepine

I ride both sports bike and cruisers. When i'm on the sports bike, i know i'm faster, and was already passing cars, but just like you, when i come across a cruiser ahead of me, i sort of give him a respect and with sence of comradery and seriority respect to a fellow rider, dont pass a cruiser easily, and wait for obvious opportunity to pass and even when i do, i dont blow by him. To the other hand, when i'm on the cruiser, in most part but not always, i get the same respect from fellow sports bike riders. In essence, the riders ethic has evolved and matured. From sectarian or tribal mind to mutuality and cooperation. I see ton of repects from fellow riders of any style. And the other thing is that, nowaway, people are more open minded, and many ride both cruisers and spports bike, or at least have had experience having both.
So, whatever the fact with ur experience with the cruiser on I-10, if you think positively, you'll continue act positively and cool, and if everyone does the same, we'll have a rider's utopia. Ride the Mahatma Ghandi way! Lol! Peace!!
bluepine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:08 PM   #15
ecclissiass

Bike(s):
2012 Kawasaki ZX-14R

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepine View Post
I ride both sports bike and cruisers. When i'm on the sports bike, i know i'm faster, and was already passing cars, but just like you, when i come across a cruiser ahead of me, i sort of give him a respect and with sence of comradery and seriority respect to a fellow rider, dont pass a cruiser easily, and wait for obvious opportunity to pass and even when i do, i dont blow by him. To the other hand, when i'm on the cruiser, in most part but not always, i get the same respect from fellow sports bike riders. In essence, the riders ethic has evolved and matured. From sectarian or tribal mind to mutuality and cooperation. I see ton of repects from fellow riders of any style. And the other thing is that, nowaway, people are more open minded, and many ride both cruisers and spports bike, or at least have had experience having both.
So, whatever the fact with ur experience with the cruiser on I-10, if you think positively, you'll continue act positively and cool, and if everyone does the same, we'll have a rider's utopia. Ride the Mahatma Ghandi way! Lol! Peace!!
I agree fully. I don't have the time or patience to figure out a riders thoughts out intentions other than given him mutual respect on the roads. in fact, I thought it was cool short him to allow me to pass him in the same lane. I always allow a biker that much respect and never pass in the same lane. Although, I've not been giving that same respect from other riders (sportbikes).
ecclissiass is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement