MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > Performance and Modifications
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #1
Jaycub

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2003 Honda CBR600F4i

2003 F4i electrical problems?

Hey guys, I have been having some electrical problems with my bike, and havnt been able to get it all sorted out. I was going to see if any of you have any ideas as to what might be causing this before I drop it off at a shop. Well a few months ago I lowsided and ended up sliding in the grass. The frame slider too all the side damage but the front fairing had to be replaced cause it got cracked up pretty bad. Well after that happened we got the bike up and checked everything out and the bike wouldnt start. It was like the battery just died. Well we ended up push starting the bike and it ran fine on the drive home. I charged the battery, and the next morning the bike started and ran fine. Then after a few starts the battery would go dead again. I picked up a new battery thinking that the old one got damaged some how when I went down. After installing the fresh battery I had the same problem. The bike would start but after a couple of days the battery would need to be charged again. Now during this whole time the bike would push start and run fine if I needed to. I thought the problem might be the R/R but I had a volt meter on the battery and when you rev it up it charges the battery so Im assuming its working properly but am not positive. So anyways Ive been keeping the battery on my trickle charger to keep the battery up if I wanted to go ride. I havnt really been riding the bike much cause I need to get the problem fixed but the other day I decided to ride to work. The bike started up and ran fine all the way there, and then when I got off the battery was dead and it had to be push started. About 10 miles into my trip home the bike dies while Im going down the road at about 45 mph. I pulled over to check it out, and the battery was swollen up. I had my friend come pick me up in his truck and we got the bike home, and I took all the fairings off and have been looking for any shorted out wires along the harness but cant seem to find any. On saturday I took a friends battery from his bike to try to start mine and try to diagnose the problem again, but now everytime I turn on the ignition switch its blowing the fuse for the fuel pump? Anyone have any ideas what could be causing the fuse to blow out or whats eating up the battery?
Jaycub is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
04 636- confusing electrical problems joeylowlife How To's and Q & A's 5 04-19-2014 03:12 PM
electrical problems 2007 gsxr 750 battery dead will713 How To's and Q & A's 9 09-19-2013 08:07 PM
SV650 electrical problems ... help if you can ... logan5 How To's and Q & A's 1 01-24-2011 08:03 PM
electrical question on f4i Alpinestars102 General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 06-27-2010 10:33 AM
Electrical Problems Hotwheelscamaro How To's and Q & A's 14 10-03-2006 07:45 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-16-2012, 03:54 PM   #2
superkat
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
954rr sold
2001 kawi zx6r sold
o2 eff 4 easy
honda fiddy

Member Garage

User is banned

superkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:17 PM   #3
Jaycub

Bike(s):
2003 Honda CBR600F4i

I just got done going over the wiring again, and as far as I can see there are not any pinched wires or any that are rubbing bare metal.I took the front fairing completely off and looked at all the wiring there and didnt see anything that looked like it would be causing a short. Im probably going to end up having to take it to a shop, hopefully its not to expensive of a fix.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:37 PM   #4
superkat
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
954rr sold
2001 kawi zx6r sold
o2 eff 4 easy
honda fiddy

Member Garage

User is banned

superkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:57 PM   #5
kevintx88
too slow too furious

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
05 gsxr600 20th anniversary edition

You said the battery had become swollen at some point? Almost sounds like its being overcharged.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk
kevintx88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:04 PM   #6
Jaycub

Bike(s):
2003 Honda CBR600F4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by superkat View Post
U should hit up Motorcycles Unlimited off 1960 I been hearing nothing but good about them guys just hope its an easy fix electrical problems are pain in the
Ya, Ive done business with Patrick at Motorcycles Unlimited in the past and they have always been awesome. Ill probably either take it there or to a small shop thats a little closer to me that Ive also done business with several times.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:03 AM   #7
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

On the left side of the bike close to the upper is a gray plug.
Take it apart and see if any of the terminals are melted.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:23 PM   #8
Jaycub

Bike(s):
2003 Honda CBR600F4i

Are you talking about the two grey ones underneath the upper that go to each of the grips on the handle bars? If so those are both good. No melted or burnt up connections.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:27 PM   #9
Jaycub

Bike(s):
2003 Honda CBR600F4i

Well i went I ahead and ordered a new rectifier cause thats what a lot of my friends have been telling me is causing the problem with the battery. Im still having a problem with blowing the fuse for the fuel injection? Anyone have any ideas what would cause this? Obviously a short right? But I cant seem to find any wires that are grounded out anywhere. Could it be something else causing it to blow the fuse?

Advertisement