MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2012, 06:26 PM   #1
flamitaz
Member, you member!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
none

Need Help 2001 CBR F4i hesitating

Ok, I haven't been on here since like forever. So my problem is this. I have an F4i 2001 with 5800 miles. I just did the oil and oil filter change, air filter (put in a K&N air filter), and replaced the spark plugs (which in comparison with the old ones, did not need replacing, but I replaced them anyway). Now when I rev it on neutral i see no problems. It revs fine, just smoke comes out after revving. Now when I get in gear it feels like it wants to sputter and die (it actually did die on me once). only after the rmps are higher 5-6k does the bike do ok. But it happens in first, second and third gears. Basically, at low rpms it does like it wants to die. Help. I don't ride it much. Please any help would be greatly appreciated. Tony.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2001 Honda CBR600 f4i mateo Off Topic 4 09-03-2015 05:46 PM
2001 cbr 600 f4i hesitating/sputtering twoody How To's and Q & A's 4 12-12-2014 09:17 AM
2001 cbr 600 f4i hesitating/sputtering twoody General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 12-10-2014 12:29 AM
2001 f4i stunt bike stunterdude Stunters Lounge 37 12-07-2010 09:33 AM
Advertisement
Old 04-14-2012, 06:43 PM   #2
flamitaz
Member, you member!

Bike(s):
none

PS. The tank had this gunk inside it, forgot to metion that, didn't notice till after I did the tuneup, but prior to the tuneup the bike was ridding great, no hesitation, no smoke. I know that could possibly be an issue, but don't see why it wasn't before the tuneup, and it is now. I used Amsoil 10w40 synthetic as my oil, and a K&N oil filter (cause it has the easy off welded nut on it). Plus the iridium NGK spark plugs. It starts perfectly fine, no hesitation, only smokes after I rev it, not while revving it. I won't be able to ride it again until tomorrow. I am thinking about using the gas that is already in there till it's empty, filling it up with new gas and adding seafoam to the gas tank. What do you guys/gals suggest? Thanks again.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:47 PM   #3
MiniG0D
Teknulogicuhly Challunged

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2008 600RR Graffiti Edition

Could be any number of things. Had it been sitting up a while? Could just be bad gas from sitting up. Try siphoning out the old gas (put it in your lawnmower or something) and put some fresh gas (87 octane as recommended) and about 1/3 to 1/2 a bottle of seafoam in there an see if that fixes it. Make sure its Name brand Gas from a busy station too so less of a chance of getting some watered down junk gas. That'd be the first thing to try. You can get seafoam at most auto parts stores and even Walmart seems to carry it now.

Report back after that and we can help u from there. I'm also assuming since you didn't say anything about it that the fi light isn't lit up?
Old 04-14-2012, 06:50 PM   #4
MiniG0D

Bike(s):

Just saw your second post. And no don't use that gas especially if you can see gunk in the tank. There is a filter inline with the pump that may be clogged from that gunk. If it gets past the filter the pump itself could go. There is also a fuel pressure regulator that commonly goes out that could be the problem. But hopefully the gas didn't clog the filter already and you can just use the gas and seafoam. The filter is about $40 and the pressure regulator is about that too so stick with the basics first.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:00 PM   #5
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Did you hook the 4 vacuum lines back up to the air box?

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:28 PM   #6
flamitaz
Member, you member!

Bike(s):
none

Cool, thanks for responding super fast. Ok, I won't have a go at it until tomorrow, but will be doing it early morning. I will siphon the rest of the gas and do the new gas and seafoam treatment. Yes, i made sure I hooked up all the hoses back up. LOL. Specifically cause it was pain to do all that. I told myself, it would suck if after putting it all back together...I found out I forgot something. I made sure all hoses, switches were put back and all screws and bolts accounted for.

I read somewhere that after all the work is done if the Fi or oil indicators light up and stay lit, to turn the bike off immediately, but everything was a ok.I thought everything was fine because like I said, it starts up with no hesitation, and while in neutral it revs fine. The only things I noticed differently was that, smoke comes out after revving, but not when i open up the throttle a little bit. For example, If i give it a quick twist and make the revs come up to 5-6k the smokes goes high, but if i bring them up steady to 4-5k no smoke comes out. And when I put it in gear it hesitates until i get to 4-6k rpms. But the Fi light comes on as normal, on start up, then goes out like it should.

I don't know what it could be, I figure that it would do it in neutral as well no? Hesitate. the iddle seems to be a little different as well, you can hear it, before it was like between1-2k now it's right at 1k and sometimes falls below, but just barely. I will definitely report back as soon as I get a chance to do the things ya'll suggested. Thanks for all the input.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:01 PM   #7
superkat
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
954rr sold
2001 kawi zx6r sold
o2 eff 4 easy
honda fiddy

Member Garage

User is banned

superkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:02 AM   #8
dabus63
Senőr Member

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
04 GSXR 1000
04 R1 (sold)
04 R6 (stolen)
99 GSXR 750 (sold)
1990 YSR 50 (in storage)

Member Garage

just wondering did you GAP your spark plugs? And if all else fails put back the old spark plugs and see if the prob goes away?
My 04 R6 didn't like the NGK Iridium plugs, I switched back to the stock not iridium NGK (CR9EK) and gapped them to spec and the hesitation/stalling prob on mine went away.

the only easy day was yesterday
dabus63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:04 AM   #9
MiniG0D

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabus63 View Post
just wondering did you GAP your spark plugs? And if all else fails put back the old spark plugs and see if the prob goes away?
My 04 R6 didn't like the NGK Iridium plugs, I switched back to the stock not iridium NGK (CR9EK) and gapped them to spec and the hesitation/stalling prob on mine went away.
If I recall the stock plugs are supposed to be iridium... and they all come pregapped.... I've heard people wah wah wah about the gap being off from the factory but every one I've double checked has been correct... as far as a coil not being seated properly the bike would run like chit on 3 cylinders so I doubt thats the issue... hesitation at RPMS tends to be a fuel side of the problem... if it boggs at mid range rpms tends to be a fuel filter issue (fuel flows a little bit through the filter until the filter cant handle the fuel because of the blockage so it starts to hesitate... then enough pressure builds that it tends to push through the blockage and rev somewhat normally... but until the gas is changed out to fresh stuff you wont really know...

make sure its seafoam or at least like Lucas or another oil based cleaner... b/c the gas you use at the pump almost definitely is a 10% ethanol mixture... you don't want to add any more alcohol to the gas like many of the additives have (Like Iso-heet) and stuff... with any luck it'll break down the gunk in the filter so it can pass through and be burned off in combination with the non contaminated gas....

as far as smoke that could wind up being a bazillion different reasons... but if its an aftermarket pipe on the bike you'll likely notice more smoke... just changing the plugs and oil theres not anything really you could have done to make smoke... and you dont even have to taek the tank off on the F4i to change the plugs you can do it just taking off the side plastics and reaching through the frame...

but as far as the vacuum lines they are VERY hard to reach....

if you did also pull your tank you also need to be sure when you set it back down that the fuel line and fuel tank vent hose aren't pinched/bent (bent normal is ok but bent to where it pinches off flow is bad) and its happened to some members on forums before...
Old 04-15-2012, 09:14 AM   #10
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):

How much oil did you put in the bike when you changed it?
Did you check the oil level with the bike straight up or on the kickstand?

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Old 04-15-2012, 01:29 PM   #11
flamitaz
Member, you member!

Bike(s):
none

ok fellas, I'm back. I just finished emptying the gas tank. and sure it enough it has some ...i guess its dirt, or rust or varnish or maybe all 3, i doubt its dirt though. But yeah, in essence, IT'S DIRTY! I want to dump some more gas in there and some seafoam and swish it about the tank. What do you guys recommend? Put the gas in it with proper seafoam ratio and let it sit a while, say a day? Or let it sit 5 minutes and then run the bike?

I did the one at a time spark plug method, as to make it more easy to know which coil goes with which spark plug.

I did not gap the spark plugs as per instructions, where I purchased the spark plugs it stated that "These spark plugs come pre-gapped. You do not need to gap them."

Lets see what else...hmmm, I'm trying to make sure I answer everyone's questions. Everyone has been so helpful with suggestions and possible solutions, I think it's only right.

Now on the seafoam, the bottle says to use at a ratio of 1oz seafoam to 1 gallon gasoline (or whatever fuel). I bought a 16 oz bottle. Do I still pour half a bottle in the tank? Or follow instructions?
Old 04-15-2012, 01:47 PM   #12
flamitaz
Member, you member!

Bike(s):
none

Patrick, I had the bike on rear stand when I changed the oil and when I filled it back up. I read somewhere here and in the repair manual that it will take 3.7 liter. To be more precise, i put in 3.7 quarts of oil. When the bike is leveled the oil sits just a smidgen below the upper level line. So it is between the upper and lower level lines.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:29 PM   #13
flamitaz
Member, you member!

Bike(s):
none

Well fellas, no luck with the new gas and the seafoam. Now it sounds like a 2 stroke, LOL. I'm frustrated. Oh, and as I took it out for a ride, my freaking chain is loose now. I thought for a minute it was gonna fall off. How the did that happen? It feels like it loosing compression or something. Not until i get to 3k rpms does it feel like its gonna go. I am not mechanically inclined so don't know much. i feel like she is punishing me for not loving her the right way. I don't what to do. I am very tempted to sell it, but it's got more sentimental value than money. What to do? I'm gonna take it apart again and see if i notice anything.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:46 PM   #14
flamitaz
Member, you member!

Bike(s):
none

So I took it all apart again, well, just as if I was gonna change the spark plugs. No kinked hoses, there was one small hose that was disconnected, it went from the gas tank to the side of the bike, next to two other small hoses that come out the left side, by the kickstand. I got all excited cause I thought that was gonna fix it...yeah, if only. No luck, still sounds like a two stroke engine. Its got this distinct putter putter sound. Doesn't even sound mean anymore, like she used to. I did the seafoam in the gas tank with the new fuel, didn't even smoke like i thought it would. On that note, the smoking after revving seems to have stopped or at least almost disappeared. I am gonna go buy an oem air filter tomorrow and see if that makes a difference. I thought maybe all that dirt might have clogged the injectors, but wouldn't the Fi light ligh up and stay lit, telling me there is a problem? And I dumped a little oil because after running the bike for about 5 minutes the oil level would go above the upper level line. took out about 1/2 quart (maybe less) it now sits near the middle of the upper and lower level lines.

But still, no luck.

Thinking about getting/replacing the fuel pressure regulator. But I'll do the test to see if it bad. (there's not suppose to be any gas coming out to the vacuum hose, correct?) If it turns out it is bad and I do need one, How much is it? anyone? If I get it from the dealership will I have to take an eye out to pay for it? I really appreciate everyone's input.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:56 PM   #15
dabus63
Senőr Member

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
04 GSXR 1000
04 R1 (sold)
04 R6 (stolen)
99 GSXR 750 (sold)
1990 YSR 50 (in storage)

Member Garage

well, dang, now I'm really curious to know whats causing your prob. Keep us posted..

the only easy day was yesterday
dabus63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:20 AM   #16
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):

Do you have gas coming out of the vacuum line for the regulator?
If so that's a problem.

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Old 04-16-2012, 11:34 AM   #17
flamitaz
Member, you member!

Bike(s):
none

Unfortunately I don't keep the bike with me, (hence the reason why I don't get to ride it often) but I will go check the fuel pressure regulator in a little while and report back.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:02 PM   #18
MiniG0D

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamitaz View Post
ok fellas, I'm back. I just finished emptying the gas tank. and sure it enough it has some ...i guess its dirt, or rust or varnish or maybe all 3, i doubt its dirt though. But yeah, in essence, IT'S DIRTY! I want to dump some more gas in there and some seafoam and swish it about the tank. What do you guys recommend? Put the gas in it with proper seafoam ratio and let it sit a while, say a day? Or let it sit 5 minutes and then run the bike?

I did the one at a time spark plug method, as to make it more easy to know which coil goes with which spark plug.

I did not gap the spark plugs as per instructions, where I purchased the spark plugs it stated that "These spark plugs come pre-gapped. You do not need to gap them."

Lets see what else...hmmm, I'm trying to make sure I answer everyone's questions. Everyone has been so helpful with suggestions and possible solutions, I think it's only right.

Now on the seafoam, the bottle says to use at a ratio of 1oz seafoam to 1 gallon gasoline (or whatever fuel). I bought a 16 oz bottle. Do I still pour half a bottle in the tank? Or follow instructions?
It's not an exact science or anything. 1/3 is slightly strong. The 1oz per gallon is fairly weak considering. A little stronger won't hurt anything. It's petroleum based so it will burn anyway. It may run rougher while it's in there but that's fine because it's actively cleaning. After this tank try a tank of just regular gas and see how it runs then. You can't compare until you're back on normal gas.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:10 PM   #19
MiniG0D

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamitaz View Post
Unfortunately I don't keep the bike with me, (hence the reason why I don't get to ride it often) but I will go check the fuel pressure regulator in a little while and report back.
If your fpr is bad generally your plugs from cylinders 2 and 3 will look different than 1 and 2 from the extra fuel that has bypassed.

Basically the fpr is vacuum operated and has a spring loaded valve. And it keeps fuel pressured at the psi. But if the spring fails it allows too much fuel to bypass the injectors and it just passes the extra back to the engine through the vacuum line. This can cause it to run rough.

I haven't seen it personally but I'm guessing enough gunk in the fuel could cause it too.

It's not too hard to change but you do have to pull the tank. The fuel filter you pull the tank and then the pump off the tank. It's like 6 nuts. And you'll likely want a new gasket for the fuel pump if u do it. Once u pull the pump the filter is just held on by a nut and the 2 pinch hose clamps.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:50 PM   #20
flamitaz
Member, you member!

Bike(s):
none

Patrick, I checked today to see if I had that problem, as I went to youtube and there was some videos showing how to recognize if the fpr is bad, and sure enough it did the same thing as the one on this
. Now the question is where can i find one for cheap? Or reasonable price. Just shop around? I am hoping this will fix my problem.

Advertisement