MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2012, 11:07 AM   #41
green600
HG Chairperson

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

bump

yeah. I thought it'd be like riding with a condescending rossi.
green600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bridgestone R10? good? bad? BRYAN Taking it to the Track 53 06-12-2013 12:09 AM
WATCH OUT GUYS FOR "KAWI"ON THE FORUM... CRYING queenmoka General Discussion (Moto Related) 43 04-25-2013 09:53 PM
Bridgestone R10 Review! S.D.W. How To's and Q & A's 2 09-03-2012 05:12 PM
Ufc luckyxdevil1 Events, Meets and Rides 11 05-18-2012 10:08 PM
Advertisement
Old 06-19-2012, 12:08 PM   #42
Horn09

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DEAN OF LEAN View Post

Now quit making ridiculous threads and starting drama!
you're a wise man Dean.
Horn09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:37 PM   #43
adrenalinjunky

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2005 kawi 636(Main squeeze)
04 crf50(The mistress)
03 636(sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEN600 View Post
bump
adrenalinjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:24 AM   #44
Fastola
Banned

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
06 CBR6er-street

User is banned

Fastola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:35 AM   #45
1FC
380 Racing & Paint

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
GSXR
GSXR
GSXR
GSXR

yes sir
1FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:03 AM   #46
GrayWolf

Bike(s):
Too many

Yes, they are, and they last almost twice as long as anything else out there right now And worth every penny.
GrayWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:52 PM   #47
Fastola
Banned

Bike(s):
06 CBR6er-street

User is banned

Fastola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:12 PM   #48
Yorke

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2003 CBR954RR
1979 KZ810 Cafe Racer
2001 Ducati 996s (RIP)

So.....now that you have spoken about which tire you prefer, can you testify to Dunlop's claim that their tire does not go through "heat cycles"? And what brand of tire warmer do you prefer?
Yorke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:09 PM   #49
switch
two fifty

Experience: 4 years

we did a 6hr endurance race on R10's. i liked them. plenty of grip, and priced just right. towards the end of the race, one of our teammates felt like the tire was giving out. another teammate and myself felt the tire was fine and would have kept riding on it, but hey, it wasn't our bike. good tire for sure.

i've ridden on the NTEC front, and they feel fine. i dig the profile, makes the bike dive into corners, and they last a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorke View Post
So.....now that you have spoken about which tire you prefer, can you testify to Dunlop's claim that their tire does not go through "heat cycles"? And what brand of tire warmer do you prefer?
myself, i run LP 'hot sox' warmers. they're cheap, $160ish shipped to my door, and they've outlasted a buddies $400 woodcraft warmers. racer on a budget FTW!

but whatever, these are the ramblings of a slow as molasses novice.
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."

Last edited by switch; 06-21-2012 at 11:12 PM.
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:13 PM   #50
Wawazat?!
Chuck my Norris

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
'09 Aprilia RS125
'05 Honda "Fiddy"
'09 R1 (sold)
'07 gixxer 750 (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by unswift View Post
Because I love these p*ssing in the wind threads, I'm going to ask the question, just how fast are you?

The very sticky, top level DOT rubber like UK NTECS and R10s are great tires, but unless you are running CMRA expert pace (not "advanced" or "L3" track day pace), you probably don't need them.

More, unless you are an expert racer, people like Keith Code will probably say that they are holding back your riding because you will probably not be able to break them loose and slide them and use them right, the way the experts do. The thinking here goes that at a certain level, a novice's love of traction works against the rider's development. Keith Code thinks average rider should be on average rubber, so that they can get a feel for the limits of traction. That's how come experts go so freaking fast on the best rubber: they can push them to the limits of traction because they have already learned what that feels like.

If you think this is BS, just check out the pace that AJFlo, our local fast "novice" () and the high priest of the shagged tire, is running in the CRMA this year. I'm throwing this out there because I'm going to listen to Keith Code and AJ, and give this a shot to see if that can take my own mid-pack CMRA novice pace to the next level. And I'm going to be saving a bit of money on tires too!
Makes sense. I've never heard it like that before. I'm an upper lvl2 rider at BEST and still on Q2's. I haven't had a problem from them even on my 5th TD and 5500 street miles on them. They are great once you get some real heat in them. I'm on my second set now about to do my 3rd TD on this set and not even thinking about switching to NTECs anytime soon.
Wawazat?! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:07 AM   #51
Get Some!

Quote:
Originally Posted by unswift View Post
Because I love these p*ssing in the wind threads, I'm going to ask the question, just how fast are you?

The very sticky, top level DOT rubber like UK NTECS and R10s are great tires, but unless you are running CMRA expert pace (not "advanced" or "L3" track day pace), you probably don't need them.

More, unless you are an expert racer, people like Keith Code will probably say that they are holding back your riding because you will probably not be able to break them loose and slide them and use them right, the way the experts do. The thinking here goes that at a certain level, a novice's love of traction works against the rider's development. Keith Code thinks average rider should be on average rubber, so that they can get a feel for the limits of traction. That's how come experts go so freaking fast on the best rubber: they can push them to the limits of traction because they have already learned what that feels like.

If you think this is BS, just check out the pace that AJFlo, our local fast "novice" () and the high priest of the shagged tire, is running in the CRMA this year. I'm throwing this out there because I'm going to listen to Keith Code and AJ, and give this a shot to see if that can take my own mid-pack CMRA novice pace to the next level. And I'm going to be saving a bit of money on tires too!
I have a fan!

103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:17 AM   #52
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by switch View Post
we did a 6hr endurance race on R10's. i liked them. plenty of grip, and priced just right. towards the end of the race, one of our teammates felt like the tire was giving out. another teammate and myself felt the tire was fine and would have kept riding on it, but hey, it wasn't our bike. good tire for sure.

i've ridden on the NTEC front, and they feel fine. i dig the profile, makes the bike dive into corners, and they last a long time.

myself, i run LP 'hot sox' warmers. they're cheap, $160ish shipped to my door, and they've outlasted a buddies $400 woodcraft warmers. racer on a budget FTW!

but whatever, these are the ramblings of a slow as molasses novice.
No team but yours could have went 6 hours on any rear tire.. much less an R10.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:20 AM   #53
Get Some!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
kelso burn
103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:28 PM   #54
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
Oh come on Brandt, you guys can't even keep the bike running long enough to wear a tire out.......
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:03 PM   #55
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRC John View Post
Oh come on Brandt, you guys can't even keep the bike running long enough to wear a tire out.......
tumblr lj7tw5GZNr1qbcet2
Old 06-24-2012, 10:48 PM   #56
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:11 PM   #57
Whoop
Mobile Bike Service!

Bike(s):
gsxr 1000

As of a month ago I made the switch to the American Dunlop Slicks. $399 + tax a set.

I started out on Bridgestones, rode my friend Larrys bike which had Pirellis and liked them a lot better. And I loved the front. So I ran Pirellis my only Novice season. I loved the front but the rear just would not last as I got faster. So I started trying other brands to find a longer lasting rear tire.

I tired the Michelins and then the American Dunlops. But I didnt like either of the fronts. I hadn't tried the UK Dunlops yet. So at first I ran the Pirelli front with the Dunlop rear. lol Won my first expert race at Oakhill with a Pirelli front and a Dunlop GPA rear.

When I finally tried the UK's I was so happy, I liked both the front and rear and the tires lasted along time. Rode the UK dunlops about 4 years.

Now the American Slicks are on par with the UK slicks so I have made the switch! The American front is awesome now. Best bang for the buck. Excellent grip with longevity, and longevity while maintaining grip is very important to me. I don't want to have to slow down and be careful after half a trackday.

At my pace I can run 3 days and be happy with my rear Dunlop tire. 6 days on the front.
I can not do a full day on another brand rear and be happy. The rears would always lose to much grip in the first day.

As far as fronts go I like both the Dunlop and Pirelli, both are by far the best fronts out there.
Whoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:41 PM   #58
1FC
380 Racing & Paint

Bike(s):
GSXR
GSXR
GSXR
GSXR

My last rear tire was a take off from Whoop ( uk dot ) and ran the out of it for 2 days at TWS (Texas World Speedway) , I expected it to be totally gone but loading it up I was amazed it had tread left, I rode it one more time at MSRH.
1FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:14 PM   #59
cdill35

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRC John View Post
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote