MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2012, 10:57 AM   #1
MotoMonkey
\m/[(>.<)]\m/

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2002 Honda 954
1989 Kawasaki ZX-7
1986 Suzuki GSXR750
2001 Ironhorse Tejas (sold)
1981 Suzuki GS750E (sold)

Is 93 Octane better to use?

I normally just use 93 octane when I fill up my bike cuz I thought it was better for the bike. Others have said that it doesn't matter and I'm only paying more for gas than I have to.

I would like to know if that is true. I always use premium gas from stations like Exxon and Chevron to avoid crappy gas. I filled up at a walmart one time and about 20 miles into the tank the bike sputtered (while on the freeway). Another time while I was taking off from a light. I was convinced there was water or something in the gas. Never again have I filled up with crappy gas.

Will 93 octane gas be better for my bike or does it matter?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Did I really get 93 octane? Track_Graphics General Discussion (Moto Related) 85 08-10-2014 03:30 PM
USING OCTANE BOOT GXRPrincess General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 02-01-2010 06:52 PM
A little talk about OCTANE bumblebee How To's and Q & A's 37 10-21-2009 04:19 PM
What are the Octane Requirements..... TxBritt08R1 General Discussion (Moto Related) 10 07-03-2007 08:13 AM
What octane fuel do you use?? loewer600 How To's and Q & A's 54 12-21-2006 05:51 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-13-2012, 10:58 AM   #2
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

what does the owners manuel say
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
Benne
DeepSeaDiving

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2011 gsxr 600
2007 gsxr 600 (sold)

i mean think about it. We have performance bikes brah. haha, So i used Noventa y tres (93) all the time.
Benne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:59 AM   #4
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
From a particular gas station the different grades of fuel are of the same quality. Octane isn't a rating of how "good" the gas is, its just a rating of how resistant it is to pinging. If your bike doesn't ping on 87...........there's absolutely no benefit to running anything higher. Just keep buying gas from quality stations, and you'll continue to get quality fuel.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:00 AM   #5
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

Use top tier stations only. I use lower or middle grade all the time. I always have. Never had a problem on any of my bikes.
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:03 AM   #6
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

if the owners manual says to use 87, then 91 or 93 will do nothing but decrease your power. higher octane does not mean it's cleaner, it means that it burns slower resulting in less detonation on high compression or pre-ignition on advanced timing engines.

87 burns faster so actually results in slightly more power as long as your bike does not suffer from knocking or pinging from one of the above scenarios
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #7
Higham
Shh! Ur Boring Everyone!

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
Triumph Daytona 600

Octane is related to compression. The lower octane fires at a lower compression leading to pre-ignition or "pinging" in high compression engines. It doesn't make more horsepower unless you are getting pre-ignition. The higher compression high octane has allows you the maximum detonation therefore more power is produced.
Higham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:07 AM   #8
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higham View Post
Octane is related to compression. The lower octane fires at a lower compression leading to pre-ignition or "pinging" in high compression engines. It doesn't make more horsepower unless you are getting pre-ignition. The higher compression high octane has allows you the maximum detonation therefore more power is produced.
unless you could be running 87 but you are running 93 instead.
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:07 AM   #9
Soldaten

Bike(s):
2010 BMW F800 ST
YZ250 (sold)
BMW E30 Race Car
LeMons Race Car (burned)

I only use gas from top tier gas stations and 93 Octane. I also put a little Chevon Techron in the tank every other fill-up.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #10
Zapata
a.k.a Dos Equis

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
'13 Victory Cross Country
'13 Victory Judge

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
From a particular gas station the different grades of fuel are of the same quality. Octane isn't a rating of how "good" the gas is, its just a rating of how resistant it is to pinging. If your bike doesn't ping on 87...........there's absolutely no benefit to running anything higher. Just keep buying gas from quality stations, and you'll continue to get quality fuel.
If the User's manual specify 89 or higher what's the risk of using 87? Also when talking about "pinging" or "knocking", what exactly mean with that term? the backfiring?
Zapata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:10 AM   #11
Higham
Shh! Ur Boring Everyone!

Bike(s):
Triumph Daytona 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfuller View Post
unless you could be running 87 but you are running 93 instead.
If you run 87 then you would have pre-ignition and have a loss of power is what I mean. 93 allows the maximum amount of fuel with out Pre-ignition occurring in high compression engines. I've haven't heard of low compression engines loosing power with 93 octane. Why does this occur?
Old 04-13-2012, 11:23 AM   #12
Princess
MH's ex fake mod

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R
09 Santa Cruz SL
Serotta Legend Ti

Send a message via AIM to Princess
Quote:
If you run 87 then you would have pre-ignition and have a loss of power is what I mean. 93 allows the maximum amount of fuel with out Pre-ignition occurring in high compression engines. I've haven't heard of low compression engines loosing power with 93 octane. Why does this occur?
Because it burns slower. Say your engine is designed for 87 octane, and produces the most power when fuel is ignited at say 4 degrees past TDC. With 93 octane the fuel will burn a bit slower, igniting at maybe 6-7 degrees past TDC. Those numbers are obviously made up, but you get the idea.
Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:30 AM   #13
BRYAN
Big and Cranky...

Bike(s):
A Trackbike
Another Trackbike
A Motard

if your referring to your CBR954. 87 is all you need.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:33 AM   #14
wackjum
Attorney at law

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
No bikes right now. :(

It's not about burning slower or faster. It is about resistance to compression before spontaneously igniting.

In a gasoline engine, you want the spark plug to ignite the fuel air mixture. In a high compression engine, a low octane gas may spontaneously ignite prematurely before the piston has moved into position where the spark plug would ignite the mixture. This is called "knock" and is harmful for your engine.

If your engine is designed to use a certain grade gasoline then putting higher grade is a waste of money and putting in a lower grade could be harmful. Most cars these days have knock sensors so you can run on a lower octane gas and just lose power. But I don't know if motorcycles do.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #15
CBR_TRAN
Another Short Asian

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2007 Cbr600rr
1972 cb450 (cafe under construction)
2008 Kawasaki 250r (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess View Post
Because it burns slower. Say your engine is designed for 87 octane, and produces the most power when fuel is ignited at say 4 degrees past TDC. With 93 octane the fuel will burn a bit slower, igniting at maybe 6-7 degrees past TDC. Those numbers are obviously made up, but you get the idea.
This^^^ use what your owner manual tells you. Every engine is designed to be run with a certain octance fuel.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:38 AM   #16
Higham
Shh! Ur Boring Everyone!

Bike(s):
Triumph Daytona 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess View Post
I was looking up some info on this while you posted and although you are correct the articles I've read seem to indicate that you should be careful when relating octane rating to a faster burn rate supposedly they aren't related. Which didn't really make sense too me since the higher octane fuels all seemed to have faster burn rates. Here's the link.

http://www.gonefcon.com/whatifdyno/combustion.htm
Old 04-13-2012, 11:51 AM   #17
GBR

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
05 Yamaha R6 (trackbike)
97 CR250
2007 SV650 (sold)

If your motorcycle requires 89 or higher, run 93 octane. I have a friend who works at Valero and says since very few people run 89, it is often not nearly as "fresh" as the more common grade octanes.
GBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:02 PM   #18
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

This topic has been discussed more than Jesus
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:04 PM   #19
pinball
I got slow

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackjum View Post
It's not about burning slower or faster. It is about resistance to compression before spontaneously igniting.

In a gasoline engine, you want the spark plug to ignite the fuel air mixture. In a high compression engine, a low octane gas may spontaneously ignite prematurely before the piston has moved into position where the spark plug would ignite the mixture. This is called "knock" and is harmful for your engine.

If your engine is designed to use a certain grade gasoline then putting higher grade is a waste of money and putting in a lower grade could be harmful. Most cars these days have knock sensors so you can run on a lower octane gas and just lose power. But I don't know if motorcycles do.
Some do, but a knock sensor just retards the timing enough to prevent pre-ignition, which will hurt performance and economy.
pinball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:06 PM   #20
Princess
MH's ex fake mod

Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
06 ZX-6R
09 Santa Cruz SL
Serotta Legend Ti

Send a message via AIM to Princess
Quote:
I was looking up some info on this while you posted and although you are correct the articles I've read seem to indicate that you should be careful when relating octane rating to a faster burn rate supposedly they aren't related. Which didn't really make sense too me since the higher octane fuels all seemed to have faster burn rates. Here's the link.

http://www.gonefcon.com/whatifdyno/combustion.htm
I used pretty bad wording. I should have said resistance to ignite.
Princess is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement