MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2012, 02:19 PM   #21
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy42083 View Post
If they were limited to 35mph, I never would have bothered. It wouldn't even be a hint to what the track feels like. A 35mph parade lap is not for riders.
What you want is a free track session, not parade laps. What you want is what ends up with some under-geared assbat with roadrash and a binned bike. "Knowing what the track feels like" is what the beginners riding school in the novice group at a trackday is for.

The use of the parade should be indicative of the speed. , at Hallett they let little kids out there with pedal bikes.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Parade Laps morvegil Taking it to the Track 18 08-02-2011 11:25 PM
Parade Laps PYROBUG51 Ridesmart Motorcycle School 1 05-27-2011 01:31 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-11-2012, 03:50 PM   #22
obed
TMGP Pimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

one of the most fun "parade laps" I ever saw was at GSS... after the regular parade lap riders were done... I think it was dinosaur got in his bike and escourted a small girl around the track... i do not know what she was on, a crf50 or what, but she was proud as punch to be on the track at her 5 to 7 mph... and being an old man I got a lot of enjoyment watching a child have that much fun...
Old 04-11-2012, 04:00 PM   #23
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

I'm usually busy eating lunch if I am riding that day...and you won't have time if you are cornerworking.

If I just feel like swinging by the track (msrh is 20 min away) to say hi to folks and do a lap yea I may do that...
urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:05 PM   #24
the_ruckus
Literally Satan

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
2001 Ducati Monster M600

Quote:
Originally Posted by obed View Post
one of the most fun "parade laps" I ever saw was at GSS... after the regular parade lap riders were done... I think it was dinosaur got in his bike and escourted a small girl around the track... i do not know what she was on, a crf50 or what, but she was proud as punch to be on the track at her 5 to 7 mph... and being an old man I got a lot of enjoyment watching a child have that much fun...
I believe that's Deano 3090's daughter. She was out there at the last GSS event, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu View Post
I might replace you with an orange cone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog22 View Post
Natural selection just high fived poor judgement.
the_ruckus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #25
houtex
Hit'n the track pipe

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months

Quote:
You know, I completely forgot about all the times walking the course before an SCCA event. That's a good point. A long walk, but a good point Then again, I have walked GSS... when sweeping the track (with a broom).

Parade laps just provide the spectators to crashes that would have happened anyways. It's the same ego, riding abilities, or mistakes that would happen on a back road.

If they were limited to 35mph, I never would have bothered. It wouldn't even be a hint to what the track feels like. A 35mph parade lap is not for riders, it's for a crowd to watch the bikes roll by (like the MH BBQ laps). It's for show, not for riding. Not that they are pointless... but it's an entirely different point.
When I went to the Keith Code California Superbike School at Lagun Seca, we did a drill where we rode all the way around the track in 2nd or 3rd gear and no faster than 35-40 miles an hour on the right side and then again on the left side. The reason? To show us how much room there is "out there". Keith Code said that all riders develop tunnel vision at speed so to get an appreciation for the how much room you really have out there we ran that drill. It certainly helped that once you are coming into a turn that you actually had a lot of room to complete the turn and run the bike out if you had to do so.

With parade laps, people who have never done a track day get a chance to see what being on the track is all about. It doesn't have to be at speed and trying to do your best MotoGP impression. Like Senator, I thought TDs were only for racers and that TDs were practice for them. In a sense, they are for the racers but for the rest of us, its an opportunity to learn how to handle our bikes on a closed track without worrying about cars or people or animals. Well except for deer running across the infield at TWS (Texas World Speedway) before T7.

laguna sig
houtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:51 PM   #26
chevy42083

Bike(s):
'09 XB12scg
'07 650r Stolen/recovered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I respectfully, but completely disagree.
You get to see how wide the track is.
You get to see how the pavement feels.
You get to see how increasing/decreasing radius turns work against each other in back to back fashion without "auto traffic".
You get to see entry points, apexes, and exit points of different turns on the track.
It takes the fear away from "There's no way I could make it around some of those turns".
It's the experience of being on a racetrack in general.

Not everyone was gifted with knowing how to navigate a track as you were obviously.
I figure you were making a jab, but maybe you are right. The track felt completely foreign on a bike, but I have been on them in cars, and been autoXing since before I had my drivers license. So, I kinda have a heads up to track maneuvering, where to be, and when to not push it.

As far as entry points, apex, and exit points.... almost everyone I talked to after parade laps had NO IDEA what the cones were for. But yeah, you could look for them on the slow ride too.

And since I'm posting, I hope i don't get to see how the pavement feels

I guess 35 just seems so slow that back to back turns wouldn't even produce a feel I guess they would on tighter GSS, but not TWS (Texas World Speedway).

Either way, opinion's aside, I'm glad I've been able to do a few parade laps to get the track "jitters" out of the way and go full bore into a track day with no worries, on a track that I have chosen because I was on it, not because I saw it's map online.

And for the record, my spirited pace is NO WHERE NEAR what some of the faster guys are doing... even if I am hanging off like a pro-noob So maybe that's where part of my opinion comes from.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:06 PM   #27
ivancuriel
Sancho Pedotes

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2009 Yamaha R6 Raven.
2012 Yamaha R1 Moto GP Edition

I was too chicken to do a track day because I was pretty inexperienced. I did a GSS parade lap and TWS (Texas World Speedway) parade lap. Since then I have been doing track days.
ivancuriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:44 PM   #28
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Quote:
I figure you were making a jab, but maybe you are right. The track felt completely foreign on a bike, but I have been on them in cars, and been autoXing since before I had my drivers license. So, I kinda have a heads up to track maneuvering, where to be, and when to not push it.
No only the end was a jab, because I saw somewhere you already had SCCA experience

As far as entry points, apex, and exit points.... almost everyone I talked to after parade laps had NO IDEA what the cones were for. But yeah, you could look for them on the slow ride too.
There are some schools that will go out in the morning and STOP on the track to show these points. Slow has nothing to do with finding them. Speed has everything to do with hitting them properly though.

And since I'm posting, I hope i don't get to see how the pavement feels
You know what I meant

I guess 35 just seems so slow that back to back turns wouldn't even produce a feel I guess they would on tighter GSS, but not TWS (Texas World Speedway).
I agree with this. However I dunno if I'd let someone in jeans drop into turn 1 at 140mph either....

Either way, opinion's aside, I'm glad I've been able to do a few parade laps to get the track "jitters" out of the way and go full bore into a track day with no worries, on a track that I have chosen because I was on it, not because I saw it's map online.

And for the record, my spirited pace is NO WHERE NEAR what some of the faster guys are doing... even if I am hanging off like a pro-noob So maybe that's where part of my opinion comes from.
There are definitely more pros than cons to doing a parade lap if you've never ever been on a track before as long as it's controlled and paced.

It IS hard to think back when we were complete noobs at this and remember the anxiety and excitement all mixed up in a heap of trouble...
Old 04-11-2012, 06:52 PM   #29
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Parade laps are good.
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #30
mkgsxr
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
07 GSXR 600 "TRACK "
03 XR70 PIT

User is banned

mkgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:51 PM   #31
chevy42083

Bike(s):
'09 XB12scg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgsxr View Post
What is a parade lap? Jc

Old 04-11-2012, 08:25 PM   #32
Iceman.

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
07 ZZR 600

I went down on the ride to the track last year... Wanted to do the parade laps to see if i would like to do trackdays..
It took me a whole year to get back on my bike but i be getting back on this weekend. Will try to do Parade laps soon and then trackday if i like it
Iceman. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:29 PM   #33
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Parade laps have brought a lot of new customers into this sport. Whatever your opinion is of them, you can't deny the benefits they offer to growing this market, and that's the bottom line.
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:04 PM   #34
ArtistMarty

Bike(s):
2009 zx10rse

I've ridden many parade laps with the CMRA, I think they have a 15 mile an hour speed limit. Fun but just sightseeing.

I've heard of uncontrolled parade laps and groups using them for a free track sessions though, I feel that is a little dangerous.
ArtistMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:33 PM   #35
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtistMarty View Post

I've heard of uncontrolled parade laps and groups using them for a free track sessions though, I feel that is a little dangerous.
I'ver heard of unicorns, but unless I have first hand knowledge, I tend to ignore them.
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:48 AM   #36
chevy42083

Bike(s):
'09 XB12scg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tojo92 View Post
I'ver heard of unicorns, but unless I have first hand knowledge, I tend to ignore them.
lol

"uncontrolled" is also very relative. I mean, I'm NEVER gonna catch the guys up front... so I'm not being controlled at all, but there are instructors/leaders keeping the pace for the lead parade lappers.