MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2012, 11:00 AM   #41
Lucar

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgsxr View Post
Lucar is king of the streets hahahah

thanx for the title.. not like it would matter nor I was interested. (you're a punk bro!) j/k

deciding to be a street rider over a track one, is not just a hobby, but a life style..
I mean no attack on anybody nor either supremasy (being more than anybody) down to experience nor time on the streets.. believe me, I've been a truck driver for 10 years and can drive more than 35 year experienced drivers, and there are drivers with less experience than I that drive better..

for my fortune, i've ridden the past year with a lot of buddies from motohouston, and this technique (leg out to swicht possition within same lane - advice of hazzard on road) is practiced trhoughly by most of us..
I love how some guys that don't come ride the streets (since who knows when) still throw advice out to the guys that are out daily or SM..

I'm glad and applaud those that been riding for 70 years or since bikes first came out! but time changes, traffic changes, riders change, streets change, bikes and I can go on and on..

down to earth.. Paying attention and knowing who you're riding with makes your day a safe and enjoyable one, or day. Love the way you guys (the ones i've ride with) have done and I thank you all for keeping me safe when out there. Keep it simple, now let's focus on motogp Jerez !
Lucar is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hand signals 5.0 46&2 General Discussion (Moto Related) 51 10-13-2011 09:09 PM
motorcycle hand signals tino General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 08-04-2010 02:50 AM
Hand signals for riders isoplus Off Topic 4 02-14-2008 09:31 AM
Universal Motorcycle Hand Signals maskale General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 05-23-2007 12:04 PM
Rider hand signals nels General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 12-16-2005 04:38 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-09-2012, 11:12 AM   #42
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucar View Post

thanx for the title.. not like it would matter nor I was interested. (you're a punk bro!) j/k

deciding to be a street rider over a track one, is not just a hobby, but a life style..
I mean no attack on anybody nor either supremasy (being more than anybody) down to experience nor time on the streets.. believe me, I've been a truck driver for 10 years and can drive more than 35 year experienced drivers, and there are drivers with less experience than I that drive better..

for my fortune, i've ridden the past year with a lot of buddies from motohouston, and this technique (leg out to swicht possition within same lane - advice of hazzard on road) is practiced trhoughly by most of us..
I love how some guys that don't come ride the streets (since who knows when) still throw advice out to the guys that are out daily or SM..

I'm glad and applaud those that been riding for 70 years or since bikes first came out! but time changes, traffic changes, riders change, streets change, bikes and I can go on and on..

down to earth.. Paying attention and knowing who you're riding with makes your day a safe and enjoyable one, or day. Love the way you guys (the ones i've ride with) have done and I thank you all for keeping me safe when out there. Keep it simple, now let's focus on motogp Jerez !
Ok since that was clearly directed at me, I'll put it in more simple terms.

Say you are in the middle lane of a highway.
You decide you want to switch to the left lane.
You kick out your left leg.
I'm in a group and need to stay in formation so I do the same.
What happens if it's a hazard though in the left part of your lane?
You kick out left to signal the hazard to your left.
I think you are CHANGING LANES to the left.
I proceed to start moving to the left.
Directly into the hazard.

Do you see why yes it may work for you, so far, but may not be the best choice? It is confusing, because if changing lanes, you go the way of the kick. If it's a hazard you go the opposite. At a high rate of speed, may not have time to decipher that message fast enough.

PS- Lucar, just because someone isn't on the street right now, doesn't mean they don't have good advice to pass onto other people.

PSS- I ride a vtx1300 on the street these days whenever I can. I just don't own it, it's my father's.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #43
Lucar

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post

You kick out left to signal the hazard to your left. <--- if my leg signals left, then you should move right? staggered formation logic?

I think you are CHANGING LANES to the left. <---- should I click turn signal on to signal lane change?

I proceed to start moving to the left. <----- why would you follow left if you're riding in staggered formation,

<--- we all know riding alone or in group we are to be "always" scanning for dangers on road

Do you see why yes it may work for you, so far, but may not be the best choice? It is confusing, because if changing lanes, you go the way of the kick. If it's a hazard you go the opposite. At a high rate of speed, may not have time to decipher that message fast enough.

I dont attack anybody at any post, I just talk ..
some don't have the will to come out and say "we" do this all the time, I am just pointing that (in case we ALL are wrong) this is the way it's done all the time

about your riding (senator) you ride your ride, I ride mine.. no pun intended, I believed it was the other way
Old 04-09-2012, 11:24 AM   #44
cuong-nutz
Resident 250 guru

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
Ninjer 250

Quote:
Ok since that was clearly directed at me, I'll put it in more simple terms.

You kick out left to signal the hazard to your left.
I think you are CHANGING LANES to the left.
I proceed to start moving to the left.

This^^^ Even Awesome Cycle instructors reiterate this and not to be that ONE to change the meaning.

I know I do the whole kicking the foot out for quick lane changes or changing positions in the staggered formation.
I have been caught up thinking the rider in front was signaling to switch but meant a hazard was on the road and me eventually going over the hazard because of distance and not enough time for reaction.

Last edited by cuong-nutz; 04-09-2012 at 11:29 AM.
cuong-nutz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:25 AM   #45
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

I can't quote the quote to answer, but no, you're talking about moving in staggered formation in the same lane. I'm talking about changing entire lanes you're in.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:33 AM   #46
Lucar

Member Garage

Quote:
"we" do this all the time, I am just pointing that (then we ALL are wrong this is the way it's done all the time)
then we should work on upcoming group rides by getting rid of this "bad habit" and have it done the right way which would be... ?
Old 04-09-2012, 11:52 AM   #47
green600
HG Chairperson

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 1

Quote:
I can't quote the quote to answer, but no, you're talking about moving in staggered formation in the same lane. I'm talking about changing entire lanes you're in.
Usually the hazard is on a back road. Which is two lanes. One going one way and the other going the other way, so there is no lane changing going on. So its pretty simple to understand.

What's more confusing to me is when someone passes you up only to not be able to stay in their lane. They cross over the yellow line unintentionally multiple time and in blind turns. To me that is alot harder to understand. Ego's can kill.
green600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:59 AM   #48
iDazzle
dizzle dazzle

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2010 Trek Something
07 Ninja 250 (sold)
07 Kawasaki zzr600
2011 Kawasaki zx6r

Quote:
If you use the kick out method to regularly switch lanes, those of us who see the kick as an EMERGENCY HAZARD situation, are constantly scanning the ground for potential danger every single time you want to switch lanes.

So now you're saying we not only have to recognize you moving your leg, then decide how fast you are moving it, decide if it's a switch lane kick, or a hazard kick, start scanning to see if there is actually a hazard in the road, then finally react to MY INTERPRETATION of your multiple leg kick signals? That's more work than we have time to decide.

You use it more as a lazy way of signaling and therefore dull down the effect of a serious potential hazard in the road.

Also, why in 's name would you want to be signaling at 120mph in a group ride, you have TONS more stuff to be worrying about than signaling...
Thats hilarious and ultimately true.
I agree with EVERYTHING you said.
Simply put::
Arm Signals for switching lanes and turns
Leg Signals for hazards

Quote:
Originally Posted by sik9 View Post
I really doubt people even remember what those signs mean
People remember, they should, its easy and its UNIVERSAL. C'mon, its but 4 signals..................right switch/turn, left switch/turn, left hazard, right hazard.

Quote:
hog handsignal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post

I know I do the whole kicking the foot out for quick lane changes or changing positions in the staggered formation.
Please stop doing the "kicking of the foot for quick lane changes". Be correct and use your light signals and ARM SIGNALs. Muah! YOu never rode with leg signals to turn/switch with me...why are you doing it with other ppls? Baaad.

Thank yall for helping me win $5 friendly dollars! Hahaha.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:07 PM   #49
Lucar

Member Garage

yeah cuong, please stop kicking for quick lane changes
Old 04-09-2012, 12:16 PM   #50
chevy42083

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
'09 XB12scg
'07 650r Stolen/recovered

I just re-read my post (and edited it accordingly)... I never meant leg kick for a change to a different lane, I meant a leg kick for a change within a lane. As in switching the staggered setup around.
I know it still doesn't match what some of you are saying.

For a change to another lane, I signal (the electric one), and probably hand signal also.... cause most of us have tiny little LED lights.

I guess I just don't see why you would ever go in the direction of my leg-kick, quick or long. I guess I can stop signaling in-lane changes.

Also, the reason I don't do the arm out or signal change when within a lane is because people start slowing or signaling thinking we are turning.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:23 PM   #51
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Quote:
then we should work on upcoming group rides by getting rid of this "bad habit" and have it done the right way which would be... ?
I don't think that would work, because you are not listening to what I'm saying that others have confirmed, including what their instructors have said in MSF.

Do what works for you when you lead rides. I'll do what's right.
Just stop spouting bad information for people trying to learn...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEN600 View Post
Usually the hazard is on a back road. Which is two lanes. One going one way and the other going the other way, so there is no lane changing going on. So its pretty simple to understand.

What's more confusing to me is when someone passes you up only to not be able to stay in their lane. They cross over the yellow line unintentionally multiple time and in blind turns. To me that is alot harder to understand. Ego's can kill.
In terms of gravel and stuff maybe, but I commute 44 miles down I10 daily. I stopped counting the amount of blown out tires, trash, ladders, any other stuff you can't bunny hop at 70mph on a bike.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:31 PM   #52
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy42083 View Post
I just re-read my post (and edited it accordingly)... I never meant leg kick for a change to a different lane, I meant a leg kick for a change within a lane. As in switching the staggered setup around.
I know it still doesn't match what some of you are saying.

For a change to another lane, I signal (the electric one), and probably hand signal also.... cause most of us have tiny little LED lights.

I guess I just don't see why you would ever go in the direction of my leg-kick, quick or long. I guess I can stop signaling in-lane changes.

Also, the reason I don't do the arm out or signal change when within a lane is because people start slowing or signaling thinking we are turning.
Although I still don't agree with doing it within a single lane, that is up to the ride leader and group. Usually people getting back into a formation is a smooth, slow motion and you can see the other riders bikes and bodies to adjust accordingly, not as big of a deal. Changing lanes can be a little more dramatic and quick in a group ride though and therefore having to scan better to put together the situation. It is indefinitely harder to find the exact position of that firewood in the road than a rider slowing moving inside the lane.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:52 PM   #53
iDazzle
dizzle dazzle

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2010 Trek Something
07 Ninja 250 (sold)
07 Kawasaki zzr600
2011 Kawasaki zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy42083 View Post
I just re-read my post (and edited it accordingly)... I meant a leg kick for a change within a lane. As in switching the staggered setup around.
What I also do, which Im not sure is correct or not, when switching lanes in a staggered formation is look back to rider behind me, make sure he's a safe distance, and inch slowly to his side....which usually results to him switching to my original side, thus keeping staggered formation. I only do this when the guy in front of me switched on me or if the right side is too bumpy, crackly,.

Quote:
Just stop spouting bad information for people trying to learn...
Old 04-09-2012, 12:56 PM   #54
Lucar

Member Garage

Old 04-09-2012, 01:09 PM   #55
green600
HG Chairperson

Quote:
but I commute 44 miles down I10 daily.
Are you doing hand signals in your car?
Old 04-09-2012, 01:11 PM   #56
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEN600 View Post
Are you doing hand signals in your car?
Some.
Less traditionally related to motorcycles and more socially unacceptable.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:14 PM   #57
green600
HG Chairperson

Old 04-09-2012, 01:22 PM   #58
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

I retract some of last words, it's also motorcycle related.

Ticked
Old 04-09-2012, 01:42 PM   #59
green600
HG Chairperson

Universal signal for someone parking it in the passing lane.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:44 PM   #60
xtelevisionset
Think Fast

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
Suzuki GS500 2002

Yeah clutch hand pointed at the road for hazards and brake foot for hazard. Quite the experience to see a bunch people dodging a turtle in tight stagger while pointing to it at the same time.

Until I'm parking in an ally just hoping that my is safe.
xtelevisionset is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement