MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2012, 07:55 AM   #21
FKNA

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

My first fall happened when I was 17 years old. I was on a Yamaha 500 cruiser, going around a curve about 40mph. Hit a bunch of gravel and the bike started to go down. I put my foot down trying to kick it back up, but instead my leg just gets caught under the bike. Unbeknownst to me at the time, it took a big chunk out of my knee, about the size of a tennis ball exposing my knee cap. Friends where in a car behind me. I jumped up cursing like a drunken sailor. Told my friends to pick my mother bike up. Then I got back on it and went down the road a bit. When I got to the first stop sign, I put my feet down and fell over because my mangled leg couldn't hold the bike up. At that point I rode in my friends car back to his house while another friend in the car rode my bike back. Got back to his place, assessed the damage to my leg, bandaged myself up.

I was back to riding the next day. I've been down 6 times in my life. Each and every time I was back to riding immediately, or I should say immediately after my body had healed enough. None of my wrecks have made me more cautious, but they definitely have raised my awareness level.
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My First Fall whomikedao General Discussion (Moto Related) 105 03-09-2012 03:41 PM
Fall in New York nutmegchoi Off Topic 19 10-28-2008 02:29 PM
fall back RACER X Off Topic 8 10-28-2008 12:27 PM
i just had a fall down in the forest loosenoose General Discussion (Moto Related) 116 10-14-2008 10:15 PM
Fall in Minneapolis nutmegchoi Off Topic 17 10-15-2007 10:22 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-07-2012, 12:24 PM   #22
Daft Punk
HarderBetterFasterStonger

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'14 Ninja 650

So is it pretty much like starting fresh again but with more nervousness for awhile? I let him lead because I wanted him to go his own pace and be able to watch his form from behind. So its better if I take the lead and take it slow huh? We as rider expect to fall once eventually, but just once. I guess the thought of falling a second time can be a little overwhelming, especially when the first fall is still fresh in our mind. I'll tell him to take it easy for awhile and his confidence will return over time.
Daft Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:39 PM   #23
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft Punk View Post
Can I tell him that its something that will pass over time? Were yall nervous on yall's first ride after a fall?
Yep, you can tell him to put more hours on the seat. You can tell people until you're blue in the face, but most just learn with experience.
Bevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:33 PM   #24
FKNA

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft Punk View Post
So is it pretty much like starting fresh again but with more nervousness for awhile? I let him lead because I wanted him to go his own pace and be able to watch his form from behind. So its better if I take the lead and take it slow huh? We as rider expect to fall once eventually, but just once. I guess the thought of falling a second time can be a little overwhelming, especially when the first fall is still fresh in our mind. I'll tell him to take it easy for awhile and his confidence will return over time.
I respectfully disagree. IMHO, anyone that is scared to get back onto a bike after a wreck has no business being on a bike. A person that doesn't have confidence (not to be confused with cockiness), will find themselves over reacting or under reacting when the unexpected happens.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:40 PM   #25
bradtx

Bike(s):
1998 Triumph T595

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKNA View Post
I respectfully disagree. IMHO, anyone that is scared to get back onto a bike after a wreck has no business being on a bike. A person that doesn't have confidence (not to be confused with cockiness), will find themselves over reacting or under reacting when the unexpected happens.
Basically what a newbie goes through, right?

Anyway, if the guy wants to ride again he'll put in the miles/time. He knows what happened to cause his fall, lesson learned and time to get on with it.

Brad
Old 04-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #26
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

I haven't crashed due to rider error, but I was hit from behind at a stop light. I was vigilant before, I even saw her coming and tried to get away but I wasn't fast enough. I am just that much more aware at stop lights now. as far as your friend goes, I always have said that the minute someone thinks they have learned all there is to learn on a bike, they should get off because that attitude will get them hurt.
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:24 PM   #27
MotoMonkey
\m/[(>.<)]\m/

Bike(s):
2002 Honda 954
1989 Kawasaki ZX-7
1986 Suzuki GSXR750
2001 Ironhorse Tejas (sold)
1981 Suzuki GS750E (sold)

Yeah I tend to agree that if a person is not confident when they ride, they can be their own worse enemy. Once you have gone down, you either accept it as an experience to learn from or consider yourself lucky to have survived it and never ride again. Someone who loves to ride will always find a way to get back on two wheels regarless. That's just my opinion.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:28 PM   #28
bun1t

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
Gen 4 ZX10R
Honda Grom

My first street crash was going around a curve and some gravel caused me to slide out. Luckily it was all cosmetic so after I collected myself I got back on and rode a wheelie before any bitchassness could set in. I rode bmx and dirt bikes so tumbling on the ground is nothing new.

I will say that a minor crash is someimes good for a new rider. A lot people build up a false confidence and causes you to ride like you're the next rossi. I know I toned it down a lot on roads i'm not familiar with after I crashed
bun1t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:08 PM   #29
obed
TMGP Pimp

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

there are two ways to assure you will have and accident and go down...
1. be sure you will
2. be sure you won't
Old 04-09-2012, 04:30 PM   #30
aggie2011

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
11 Ninja 650r
95 Nighthawk 750 sold
96 Nighthawk 750 sold

Get some good gear and sliders and test repeatedly. Then get more gear and new frame sliders.

The advanced msf course guys asked us a very provocative question - do you dress to ride or do you dress to crash? It's a tough act to balance between caution, preparation, and enjoyment.

That said, safety first. Get back up to speed slowly - nothing worse than whatever little confidence was built being shattered again in short order.
aggie2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:48 PM   #31
bun1t

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
Gen 4 ZX10R
Honda Grom

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie2011 View Post

The advanced msf course guys asked us a very provocative question - do you dress to ride or do you dress to crash? It's a tough act to balance between caution, preparation, and enjoyment.
Kind of an easy question. Nobody goes riding with an expectation of crashing. My brother has multiple jackets yet he would always ride in a t-shirt. After a car pushed him into a median on westheimer he got small taste of road rash. Now he always wears a jacket. Your intentions might be run to the store and back but that won't stop a car from driving into you.
bun1t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:48 PM   #32
DAT GUY

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
95 Sportster 1200

i still carry a lot of anger from my first wreck. i was really excited to get back on two wheels, probably got on the bike before i was ready but just couldnt stand to be sitting in the house.

at first i would tense up where the accident happened, i pass it twice a day going to and from work, he'll forget about it in time
DAT GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:57 PM   #33
IndyRC
Mutant

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 4-8 months

Bike(s):
None

My first crash was into the back of a house. I was a kid and it was day 1 of me learning how to ride my first dirt bike. I looked over to see my dad laughing hysterically so I knew all was cool. I got back on the bike and kept at it.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:35 PM   #34
Fastola
Banned

Bike(s):
06 CBR6er-street

User is banned

Fastola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:16 PM   #35
Rykoson
Brawp Brawp!

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
www.shortfilmproductions.org
2009 YZF-R6-Rest in Peace
2011 ZX-6R Kawasaki Ninja-Track/Street

Member Garage

Falling not only sucks..its expensive. Now that I have crashed a million and one ways, I have finally learned not to ride at a certain threshold. You have to build your ride. You cannot go out, until you really feel your bike. Each surface you ride on has different conditions, and until you experience them all you will have to learn either on a fast learning curve(crashing), or a slow one..(not sure how that is). Crashing may be part of the game for some of us..I really don't think you have to go down to learn, but it does actually help...good ones are ones that you can learn, and walk away from.. But all are really bad ones... who really plans on it anyways..
STREET SCHOLARS PRODUCTIONS-Hookit
Rykoson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:25 PM   #36
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)

I was a little indifferent, both wrecks I knew what I did wrong, and knew what NOT to do next time.

Both were not really serious.

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:46 PM   #37
Krazy D

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2011 GSX-R600
Your mom

Member Garage

I went down almost a month ago up on 149. Never had a problem with target fixation ever in my life. Came into a corner (that I could've easily made) and panicked. Went right where I was staring. Me and the bike are ok. Was wearing all my gear and became a firm believer in safety over comfort. Been back out several times since. I am a little more cautious on roads I don't know but am aware of what I did wrong. I love riding and hopefully have learned from my mistake. I honestly don't know what went wrong that made me focus so hard on the shoulder of the road but I sure did. All the guys with me were great help and made sure I was ok.
Krazy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:15 PM   #38
ZaXoS

Bike(s):
R1100S
GSX-R
VFR 750
Africa Twin (XRV-750)
CB750-k1

i don't think he knows what went wrong to this day.
When you can't comprehend what went wrong it always makes things a lot harder to get back on.
This sentence doesn't make to much sense to me: He learned after the fact that it was caused by him chopping the throttle in the middle of a corner/lean and the rear slipped out

He learned after the fact? So someone told him what he did? but does he remember doing it?
chopping the throttle in the middle of a corner/lean and the rear slipped out? i would think the front will wash out in most instances of sudden deceleration in lean. unless ofcourse he hit the rear brake too. or did he downshift without blipping and locked it? .etc....etc ............ are you sure he knows what happened?
Old 04-10-2012, 07:26 AM   #39
Thayleal
GingerBrawp CMRA #369

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2006 SV650s (Sold)
2003 SV650s (sold)
08 Ninja250 BRAWP bike (For Sale)
08 Ninja250 Racebike(Sold)
2007 SV650S(Streetbike)

My first and only lowside... lost it in some dirt on a back country road.. I was just overconfident in my abilities as a new rider (2 months) and had been picking up good speed. After I went down... I had to take 2 months off due to a career change and no health insurance... and I struggled for several months after I got back in the saddle.

I wasn't really scared to lean it, to go fast.. its hard to explain but I was spooking myself going into corners second guessing my line worrying if there was more debris in the road which would cause me to tip in late or early causing me to never make it through a corner confidently. This in turn started scrubbing my speed down more and more until... I was struggling at highway speeds sometimes. Somewhere in the back of my mind a knew that I could make it easily if I picked this speed through this corner and where to tip in but that moment of hesitation was hurting my abilities in a real way.

That being said... another month or two and some rides with various motohouston guys and some new friends that believed I could get better instilled some confidence slowly but surely. I mean NewRider, Rykoson, BaoPee come to mind as people who have helped me not to mention the two track days I did destroyed my confidence somewhat... but in a way that allowed me to build it back up quickly by practicing the things I learned after they had time to sink in.

I said all that to say, he may be unsteady and if he can't conquer that then he can't ride but riders supporting and helping riders is what its all about and if you and his other rider friends help him, be patient with him and maybe even encourage him to go to the track everything will line itself out and he will be having a blast in no time.

Motorcycles are like women... once you ride one... you wanna ride em all.
Thayleal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:29 AM   #40
Cethridge
Earth, Sky, Ambulance!

Bike(s):
SV650-Motard Fighter
Trek
46 Ford

Get a mini, and head to Katy, where crashing is not only fun, but entertaining!
Cethridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement