MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2012, 12:08 AM   #61
Lokati
Not-a-squid

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
06 ZX6r (the last of the 636)
----------------------
Previously owned (most recently at least):
09 ZX10r, 08 250r, 08 Busa, 07 GSXR 600, 06 CBR 600rr, a couple 50s, 02 R6, '00 Mille, '00 R1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesrex View Post
ok so it looks like the busas are low 10/high 9 sec bikes, depending on rider. that's about what i would want to get. does anyone know what kind of tuning options exist for them?

dont need a busa to be fast, you just need a little talent.
Lokati is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Please select a location nearest to you... Ulric Off Topic 12 07-26-2013 01:27 PM
Bud Select 55 Review BigComfy Off Topic 52 11-25-2009 09:24 AM
Advertisement
Old 04-07-2012, 01:41 PM   #62
mikesrex
stock bottom end

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months

the 9 sec 600 is pretty cool, but you have to admit that the same rider would prob go high 9's on a stock busa, right?

what scares me most about what you guys post is how several of you post about top speeds you get on your bikes, obviously on the streets. right now i have no desire to go that fast on the street, as the thought of riding even a 600 to its limit on the street would scare the out of me. I want a fast bike so I can have fun at the track and add building a turbo bike to my resume of what I do. Obviously I would want to ride it for a while unmodified to get the hang of it, but ultimately i want to fab up a turbo kit and tune it.

what makes it harder to handle a bigger bike other than the fact i can push the throttle more and get it to be dangerously fast? is a heavier or physically bigger bike harder to drive normally? keep in mind that i basically don't know about daily driving a bike on the streets.

is the temptation to haul on a bike just so irresistible that i will do it anyways even though right now i know i don't want to do stupid on a bike?
mikesrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:51 PM   #63
Rael
Communist Plant

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r

Quote:
the 9 sec 600 is pretty cool, but you have to admit that the same rider would prob go high 9's on a stock busa, right?

what scares me most about what you guys post is how several of you post about top speeds you get on your bikes, obviously on the streets. right now i have no desire to go that fast on the street, as the thought of riding even a 600 to its limit on the street would scare the out of me. I want a fast bike so I can have fun at the track and add building a turbo bike to my resume of what I do. Obviously I would want to ride it for a while unmodified to get the hang of it, but ultimately i want to fab up a turbo kit and tune it.

what makes it harder to handle a bigger bike other than the fact i can push the throttle more and get it to be dangerously fast? is a heavier or physically bigger bike harder to drive normally? keep in mind that i basically don't know about daily driving a bike on the streets.

is the temptation to haul on a bike just so irresistible that i will do it anyways even though right now i know i don't want to do stupid on a bike?
If you are typing this with a straight face you'll have no trouble keeping it in your pants on the street.

Bigger engines have greater reciprocating mass and usually have heavier wheels. The centripetal forces are greater as a result and require more effort at the bars to resist. I didn't notice a great difference between my 250 and my monster 696 though.
Rael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:06 PM   #64
351fox
BRAWP BRAWP

Feedback Rating: (3)

06 gsxr 750

Quote:

Yes that same rider would probably go a few tenths quicker on a stock busa, but I don't think that was the point of that. A 600 can go 9s without much work in the right hands and a 600 on a good sized shot can hit high 8s. Even going in a strait line a bigger bike (even a 600) can get you into situations that you will most likely not have the experience to correct because many natural instincts are the opposite of what should be done. The bigger the bike the more often this will happen, it will happen at much higher speeds, and it will be much less forgiving to incorrect inputs. I've had hondas going pretty quick before too and there is still steep learning curve to riding a bike fast.(I'm still slow on a bike) Personally, I think you would learn faster on something you can run hard without worrying too much about looping it in the first 3 gears like a liter bike/busa, maybe a 00-05 gsxr 600 or something that you can easily drop a 1k motor into to turbo once you have the hang of it. You're going to do what you want regardless so just be safe whatever you choose.
351fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:01 PM   #65
G1xx3rGuy08
1dizzie

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
gixxer 1000
600rr stunna!!!

Wanna go fast? Get a 07-08 gsxr 1000 stretched w a 75 shot and some nice clutch you are looking at high 8's
Old 04-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #66
AFS_Racing
Boost King

Trackdays: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1xx3rGuy08 View Post
Wanna go fast? Get a 07-08 gsxr 1000 stretched w a 75 shot and some nice clutch you are looking at high 8's
I agree with this statement...
AFS_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:05 PM   #67
Lucar

Member Garage

No real advice yet.. still want it? Here it is.. get an R1
Lucar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:11 PM   #68
G1xx3rGuy08
1dizzie

Bike(s):
gixxer 1000
600rr stunna!!!

Lol ok and bust a radiator
Old 04-08-2012, 11:25 AM   #69
mikesrex
stock bottom end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rael View Post
If you are typing this with a straight face you'll have no trouble keeping it in your pants on the street.

Bigger engines have greater reciprocating mass and usually have heavier wheels. The centripetal forces are greater as a result and require more effort at the bars to resist. I didn't notice a great difference between my 250 and my monster 696 though.
now this makes sense to say why a bigger bike will have different riding characteristics than a smaller bike.

when I ask my friends that ride bikes every day they tell me to just get a liter bike or bigger, and to make damned sure I take out a LOT of time to practice throttle control so I don't accidentally blip the throttle and end up in somebody's yard or worse. They know I am not a dumbass and aren't trying to talk down to me, so I trust their judgement over my own and others on the internets who either have a bone to pick with me or just think they know everything and anyone else is an idiot.

I'm pretty set on getting a bike that I want and not trying to buy several bikes in steps to build up to the one I want. Now what I am snooping around the internets to figure out is what bikes are mod friendly....which ones have strong stock motors and other parts....which ones have cheap complete tuning solutions, good stock fuel systems, etc...

In an ideal world I would want a bike that I can slap a turbo on and make 300+ WHP without having to change the fuel pump, injectors, engine parts, clutch, etc... and simply run the stock ECU with a relatively cheap tuning program to flash the ECU. I don't know if an ideal situation will exist, but I will try to get as close to ideal as I can. I don't want to have to rebuild a whole bike if I don't have to. If I have to spend more on the bike itself to have a more ideal platform then that is worth it to me. Thanks to all of you for your advice so far, and feel free to offer as much advice as you want. Also, feel free to let me know if there is an ideal bike to get with these characteristics, or something close.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:32 AM   #70
obed
TMGP Pimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

to tell the truth i am not sure that there is anyone on the forum whose experience will allow them to give you accurate answers to your questions. while some have a mild interest there is never any real heavy drag racing discussion on here, leaving me to believe that there are no real drag racing folks on here... some have dabled some, but i do not know of anyone with any real expertise that is on here at the moment...i could be wrong though...
i think what you are mostly going to recieve is speculative opinions.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:02 PM   #71
CG636
Braaaaaap

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
KTM 525 sumo

Member Garage

http://psychobike.com You will probably find what your looking for here.
TXORR #63C
CG636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:06 PM   #72
Tojo92
AKA Mongo

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
1994 Ducati 900 SS/SP
2003 Honda CRF450R motard
2002 Husqvarna NOX
2001 KTM Duke II

I'll throw out the disclaimer that I scanned the posts and did not read in detail, so if I missed something, apologies.

If I understand correctly, you like to build fast 1/8 and 1/4 mile cars and want to get into the same with a bike. I know my suggestions wouldn't really be the best street legal option, but they are cheap enough, you can get a street bike as well.

I like odd stuff, one of the coolest things I have seen was a guy drag racing a RD400 in the 1/8 in Navasota years ago. I also spoke to another guy that used to drag race an older 2 Stroke GT750 water buffalo in the RGV a while back.

Ok, I know it sounds crazy, but you can get them cheap, add drag bars, get all kinds of crazy with specific tuning, and if you have heard a loud modified two stoke go down the track, it's fun as . The crowd loves it, and most people will be shocked an older tech bike will go fast. You could look at Kawasaki as well...H2 triples, etc.

I have a great deal of respect for tuners that can get power out of two strokes, mainy because it really is an art. Add in temperature changes, humidity, and all that stuff, and a tinkerer can be entertained to whatever level they desire.

an example...

http://www.racingjunk.com/Drag-Bikes...SuperSize=true

videos..

better mix of bikes

They can be street lgeal...

Just for the record...I'm not crazy, mom had me tested.
CMRA#665 (neighbor of the beast)
The Problem - Endurance
Tojo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:00 PM   #73
G1xx3rGuy08
1dizzie

Bike(s):
gixxer 1000
600rr stunna!!!

Just get a gsxr 1000 and shot nitrous. All in all bike plus parts ur looking at 13k and going dwn the line doing 8s all day
Old 04-08-2012, 01:01 PM   #74
G1xx3rGuy08
1dizzie

Bike(s):
gixxer 1000
600rr stunna!!!

Trust me.. Go to youtube and type in my friend tiffany butler. Youll see wat a stock liter bike and dope does
Old 04-10-2012, 11:10 PM   #75
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

There are several guys on here who have built and race very fast bikes.

You say you want to know what the good foundation bikes are that respond well to easy mods - any of the modern big 4 bikes have strong motors with good aftermarket. Suzuki and Kawasaki seem to have the most support for drag racing and have been the most popular bikes. The bigger displacement bikes are - if anything - easier to drag race than the smaller ones. I find our gsx-r1000 to be much harder to get a good 1/4 mile et out of than my busa - but the 1000 is every bit as fast - it's lightweight, nimble chassis with the same power level just makes it stronger and scarier.

If I was going to get a bike to build with forced induction, a long wheelbase and/or spray I would get a 1st or 2nd gen busa. They are just a great drag platform with a big motor that has real potential for big power. If I wasn't planning on such an extreme build I'd go with a gsx-r1000 or zx-10r, stretch it a little and spray it. Either option will get you into the 8s. To get a real 300 hp bike that will last, you will have to change out the fuel pump, injectors, "engine parts" and clutch. No real way around that - there really isn't a "slap a turbo on it" and get 300 hp bike out there. A dynojet programmer is your tuning solution.

I would be willing to race any mid-11sec car trapping in the low 120s on a modern 600 any day of the week for $1000. Drag or roll. Any car in that range is going to have to have a "magical" transformation to make up all the distance it will be behind on the big end or last 30+ mph.

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:35 PM   #76
mikesrex
stock bottom end

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
I would be willing to race any mid-11sec car trapping in the low 120s on a modern 600 any day of the week for $1000. Drag or roll. Any car in that range is going to have to have a "magical" transformation to make up all the distance it will be behind on the big end or last 30+ mph.
thanks for the info. what does it take to get 300 WHP reliably as far as motor work goes? will a forged rod/piston setup suffice?

do you own a stock modern 600? I'm not going to put down $1000 cash but I'm sure we could figure something out. The main problem is that I'm not going to drive 100+ miles to street race. I wouldn't expect you or anyone else to drive 100+ miles for a stupid street race either lol. My buddy has a 2008 R6 and is pretty dang good at riding. Maybe I can set something up and get some footage.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:13 AM   #77
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

We have all Suzukis - a 1000, a 750 and a busa. None of those would be fair competition. My 600 is old. I could get my hands on a 600, though, because anyone I know would want to share in the $1000 prize.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:24 AM   #78
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

The Yamaha is the worst drag bike of the big 4 by quite a margin. It really suffers from poor low end torque and would actually have a better chance from a roll. Though, it does run the 1/4 in the 10.7 range at better than 130 mph.

Old 04-11-2012, 12:39 PM   #79
madtrini
Recent Convert

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
'03 Yamaha R6

Member Garage

Quote:
do you own a stock modern 600? I'm not going to put down $1000 cash but I'm sure we could figure something out. The main problem is that I'm not going to drive 100+ miles to street race. I wouldn't expect you or anyone else to drive 100+ miles for a stupid street race either lol. My buddy has a 2008 R6 and is pretty dang good at riding. Maybe I can set something up and get some footage.
man, i feel like im on houston imports...
madtrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:20 AM   #80
mikesrex
stock bottom end

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
The Yamaha is the worst drag bike of the big 4 by quite a margin. It really suffers from poor low end torque and would actually have a better chance from a roll. Though, it does run the 1/4 in the 10.7 range at better than 130 mph.
are you done trolling yet? does your ego feel inflated that you have posted statistics about bikes multiple times lmao

I understand you are still butthurt that I have beat multiple bikes with my turbo integra and that I have beat everyone who has gotten in the next lane that was talking smack from that other forum, but it is what it is. 500 HP does wonders when it hooks in a FWD honda, and it's nothing new that turbo FWD does well on the highway. You can post statistics all day long from the internets to feel better about yourself, but it doesn't change the outcome of what happened or what will happen. I made this thread to ask for help selecting a bike, not listen to you troll on over and over again about statistics of what woulda coulda shoulda happen according to the internets.

Again, this is what I'm looking for:

-fast out of the box
-stock engine/fuel system/clutch is resilient, more resilient than other bikes
-ecu has a good cheap tuning solution
-easy to find parts for
-anything else i should be looking at?

Advertisement