MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2012, 04:32 PM   #41
GrayJ
Do a barrel roll!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2004 SV650
1998 Shadow 1100
2005 CRF450R tard
2007 CRF50
Yamaha PW 50

GrayJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Please select a location nearest to you... Ulric Off Topic 12 07-26-2013 01:27 PM
Bud Select 55 Review BigComfy Off Topic 52 11-25-2009 09:24 AM
Advertisement
Old 04-05-2012, 04:38 PM   #42
mikesrex
stock bottom end

Experience: 1-3 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
All of the modern 600ss bikes will do the 1/4 in the 10s. I know you talk about 'stomping' 600s with your cars on the other site but I don't recall you ever posting times in the 10.8 range. Just in my opinion if you start out on a liter bike (or really even a 600) your riding ability will progress much more slowly and you'll really suffer because of it in the long run. Riding a fast bike is nothing like driving a fast car.
My teg, for instance, may have trapped 121 on some of the timeslips I've posted.... But that is on lower boost than I run for highway action and also with 5.5 psi in my tires.

What I'm wondering is how the modern day 600s compare to older hyabusas in terms of performance. Are the older busas faster than new 600s?
mikesrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:03 PM   #43
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesrex View Post
My teg, for instance, may have trapped 121 on some of the timeslips I've posted.... But that is on lower boost than I run for highway action and also with 5.5 psi in my tires.

What I'm wondering is how the modern day 600s compare to older hyabusas in terms of performance. Are the older busas faster than new 600s?

Old 04-05-2012, 07:55 PM   #44
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

Lol, yes. There are only two generations of busas and even the first gen bikes will DESTROY any 600. Theyve got 30 mph on the top end and are a second quicker in the 1/4.

If you've never ridden, much less drag raced, a superbike then you're definitely handicapping yourself by trying to learn on a liter bike.

Just because a busa can be put into the 9s doesn't mean you'll be able to do it. Launching a bike well is very difficult and takes lOTS of practice.

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"

Last edited by cashtown; 04-05-2012 at 07:59 PM.
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:08 PM   #45
Volfy
Fava Beans & a Chianti

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
'15 300RR
'15 250XCF-W
'14 Trophy SE
'10 VFR1200F
'05 GSXR600 (track)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfy View Post
Based on all I've heard/seen/experienced, the danger lies in the ATTITUDE of the new rider, not the BIKE.
BS
We are all free to spout our opinions on these forums, and none of us ever have to put money where our mouths are. Ain't that a beaut?

However, I do know of a group of folks who bet billions of their own money on their opinions of our driving - the Insurance Industry. They employ thousands of actuarial scientists, whose sole job is to assign degrees of risks based primarily on predicting our behavior and our ATTITUDE.

While your choice of bike does influence your risk exposure, your ATTITUDE weighs far heavier in their calculation. A married 45yr old father of 3 with a steady job and 25yrs of clean driving record might pay $300/yr for a turbo Busa, while an 18yr old jobless kid with no credit, 3 speeding tickets, and a totaled Pickup truck might fork over $3000/yr for a GSXR600.

Based on historical statistics and emperical evidence, the insurance industry is betting that the Busa driver is much more likely to give his 9yr old daughter putt-putt rides around the neighborhood on the Busa, while it is just a matter of time before Gixxer boy pastes himself on the side of an semi trailer at 90mph.

As a whole, the insurance industry never lose their bets. Their survival depend on it.

The freedom of expression on the Internet is at once its greatest asset and its worst pitfall. If we all have to bet our own money on our opinions, this thread would be lucky to get 2 replies.

First would be the site owner asking if anybody has any opinions, followed by the moderator replying: "No."
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:16 PM   #46
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

Pick the same 45 yo guy and compare busa rates vs cruiser rates, and Theron lies your answer. The busa will be higher. Why ? Same guy same attitude. Busa's crash more often hence higher rates. Apply same guy to Ducati or aprilia vs busa, imports sport bikes are cheaper ins. Wise. Why busa crash more.

So yes attitude plays a part , but you can't rule out poor choice of bikes. If I've seen MSF students accidentally do wheelies on 125, you think they don't make those mistakes and worse on ss bikes and more because of the higher hp. Stop pies on 125s, think a ss bike w overly powerful brakes think that's a good decision for novice hands

Bike choice is huge factor in crashing.

So there's BS expanded on.

Btw the odds maker for ins co. Re called actuaries my aunt is one.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!

Last edited by RACER X; 04-05-2012 at 10:18 PM.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:58 PM   #47
mikesrex
stock bottom end

ok so it looks like the busas are low 10/high 9 sec bikes, depending on rider. that's about what i would want to get. does anyone know what kind of tuning options exist for them?
Old 04-05-2012, 11:07 PM   #48
351fox
BRAWP BRAWP

Feedback Rating: (3)

06 gsxr 750

You might want to check out psychobike if you plan on drag racing it.
351fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:17 PM   #49
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

As far as motors go, gen 1 busas definitely have the strongest aftermarket. The tuning options are endless. Start with a dynojet programmer and you can download canned tunes or take it for a dyno session with a tuner and let him do his thing.

But I really think it's pretty funny that you're wanting a busa for your first bike and before you even have it you're talking about tunes and turbo. A stock 600 is going to be way too much bike for you to start on at the strip. Go buss and I'll bet mine that it's crashed in the first month. I just hope it doesn't kill you in the process. These things aren't toys. Car racing experience does not translate AT ALL to bike racing.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:34 PM   #50
mikesrex
stock bottom end

Quote:
As far as motors go, gen 1 busas definitely have the strongest aftermarket. The tuning options are endless. Start with a dynojet programmer and you can download canned tunes or take it for a dyno session with a tuner and let him do his thing.

But I really think it's pretty funny that you're wanting a busa for your first bike and before you even have it you're talking about tunes and turbo. A stock 600 is going to be way too much bike for you to start on at the strip. Go buss and I'll bet mine that it's crashed in the first month. I just hope it doesn't kill you in the process. These things aren't toys. Car racing experience does not translate AT ALL to bike racing.
if I want to ride a 600 to get the hang of it I can just borrow a friend's. I'm pretty sure he won't mind riding a busa if that's what i decide to get. I'm just trying to learn what is a good platform to mod that way I can buy it first instead of blindly buying something terrible at first... then having the hassle of selling/trading/buying for what I eventually learn is good.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:59 PM   #51
Jonbones
MSRH Groundskeeper

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
gsxr 750 L1 (stolen)
Kawasaki Ninja 500R (Sold)

drag bike, a 'busa would probably be the best bet for you...is this going to be strictly a track bike? or will it see street time as well?
Jonbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:07 AM   #52
Snarky
Eisen-Schwein!

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
'12 R1200 GS ADV
'09 Versys
'01 XT 225 (sold) :(

Member Garage

trumped meme generator not sure if trolling or just stupid ef5e0f?1303872423
Old 04-06-2012, 12:07 AM   #53
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

Either gen busa or ZX14 are probably the most capable and popular drag bikes and are strong platforms for building strong motors. The GSX-R 1000 is just as fast stock, with a good tire and the front strapped down. I still think that starting with a liter is a bad idea. You're gonna have to borrow the out of that 600 before you're ever ready to put down good passes with a liter+ bike.

I started on a 600 and I know for certain that I'd be a better rider today if I'd started on a 250. I really think you're grossly underestimating the incredible performance of the big bikes. They ate NOT easy to ride fast. They are absolutely unforgiving - they are so powerful that you're in big trouble before you even know it - and they bite hard.

You make it sound like you can just jump on a 6 for a couple laps and then hop on a busa and be Ricky Gasdon. You're in for a of a shock. You have no idea how many new riders we've seen throw a leg over a superbike and hurt themselves badly (or worse) almost immediately. Don't say we didn't warn you.

Last edited by cashtown; 04-06-2012 at 12:10 AM.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:37 PM   #54
AFS_Racing
Boost King

Trackdays: 3

Quote:
You make it sound like you can just jump on a 6 for a couple laps and then hop on a busa and be Ricky Gasdon. You're in for a of a shock. You have no idea how many new riders we've seen throw a leg over a superbike and hurt themselves badly (or worse) almost immediately. Don't say we didn't warn you.
I concur.

And I am one of those guys with extremely FAST cars and have had some very fast bikes.

I started with smaller bikes and got quick then ran a ZX7 for years. I purchased my first L bike in '03 and have never looked back. I have numerous and do the spray and turbo route.

I cannot see owning a Busa or 14, as the L bikes will get you deep in the 8s and I still ride mine on the street. There are plenty of mod parts for the L bikes and the L+ bikes.

PB is a good site to troll to learn what platform may work for you.

Best of luck in your choice.

p.s. How about a Ninja 250 with a ZX10 motor in it. Ultimate sleeper?
AFS_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:31 PM   #55
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

Would a mid 11s car even be considered fast? All of the modern 600s will trounce that car. A liter bike will plain old embarrass it.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:45 PM   #56
kevintx88
too slow too furious

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
05 gsxr600 20th anniversary edition

Plain and simple starting on anything bigger than a 600 is

1. Throwing your money away.
2. Suicide
3. Stupid

My 05 gixxer 600 will do 150+ without much effort needed, I've been riding a year and the power still can intimidate me it times, no I'm not a , but I'm honest with myself and understand how much power it is.

So my question to you is how in the can you think of justifying a zx14 or busa as a first bike... Plain stupid..

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk
kevintx88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:49 PM   #57
Jonbones
MSRH Groundskeeper

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
gsxr 750 L1 (stolen)
Kawasaki Ninja 500R (Sold)

Mike, wouldn't you rather build a bike than buy it?
Jonbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:13 PM   #58
mikesrex
stock bottom end

Quote:
Would a mid 11s car even be considered fast? All of the modern 600s will trounce that car. A liter bike will plain old embarrass it.
I beat modern 600's on the highway with no problems at all. We've already covered this topic, so I'm not sure why you want to keep bringing it up. More boost + tires that are run on normal tire pressure instead of 5.5 psi = a lot faster acceleration than what it does at the track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevintx88 View Post

2. Suicide
3. Stupid

My 05 gixxer 600 will do 150+ without much effort needed, I've been riding a year and the power still can intimidate me it times, no I'm not a , but I'm honest with myself and understand how much power it is.

So my question to you is how in the can you think of justifying a zx14 or busa as a first bike... Plain stupid..

I'm not really worried about top end on a bike. If I buy a bike it will be for cruising around town and also having fun building it for the drag strip. I'm pretty sure it isn't easy to handle even a 600, but I'm pretty sure I can learn how to handle a 600 and more... I'm not an idiot... last I checked I am pretty good at figuring out. My main goal is to learn more about what bikes are mod-friendly, how much they are worth, their good/bad issues, etc.... so I will be able to make an educated decision when a "good deal" on a bike pops up.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:25 PM   #59
OpnCskt
OpnCskt

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 600 (Wrecked)
2008 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevintx88 View Post

2. Suicide
3. Stupid

^^^^ This... my first bike (GSXR 600) is plenty fast for me... going 160 in my trans am is one thing... doing it on 2 wheels and getting there MUCH faster is another... Very intimidating even for people who live for the rush of high speed and stupid decisions... buying anything more than a 600 for your first bike, well thats beyond stupid .... P.S. I have yet to "Top Out" my 08 GSXR 600... got her to 168 with more to go and backed off

Last edited by OpnCskt; 04-06-2012 at 11:27 PM.
OpnCskt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:29 PM   #60
gots2no
Steve

Bike(s):
'94 Kawasaki ZX6
'78 Yamaha XS750E (sold)
'82 Yamaha Seca 750 (sold)
'82 Yamaha XT200 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpnCskt View Post
^^^^ This... my first bike (GSXR 600) is plenty fast for me... going 160 in my trans am is one thing... doing it on 2 wheels and getting there MUCH faster is another... Very intimidating even for people who live for the rush of high speed and stupid decisions... buying anything more than a 600 for your first bike, well thats beyond stupid
My 600 has been plenty for me. After more than a year, maybe only once or twice wanted more power. I'm still learning to exploit its performance. Improving cornering skills is loads of fun.
gots2no is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement