MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Safety Corner > Gear Talk
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2012, 10:53 PM   #1
AstroGlide

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 6 years

How does my Icon Mainframe stack up...

Against other helmets? I don't really like the wind noise and already have hearing loss due to medicine that I had to take a few years back. I wear ear plugs but am wanting to cut down on noise in the helmet as much as possible. I cut my slip on down to make it a shorty and even though it didn't make it much louder....the difference is making me feel guilty. I'm worried about my ears so I was wondering if my mainframe is known for loud wind noise? If it is...which helmets are known for being quiet? (I'd prefer not to spend 5-700 on a helmet)
AstroGlide is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Icon mainframe MCgixxer General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 09-19-2011 04:39 PM
About to stack atro-phex with 2-AD flip326 Health and Fitness 0 09-18-2009 06:55 AM
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2012, 11:07 PM   #2
Lokati
Not-a-squid

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
06 ZX6r (the last of the 636)
----------------------
Previously owned (most recently at least):
09 ZX10r, 08 250r, 08 Busa, 07 GSXR 600, 06 CBR 600rr, a couple 50s, 02 R6, '00 Mille, '00 R1

Member Garage

mainframe is not a loud helmet, infact its a quieter helmet than most.

Most expensive helmets are loud, because the goal is lightness, comfort and styling thus louder.

If you want a quieter helmet look for a nice heavy modular helmet, they tend to absorb the most wind noise in my experience.
Lokati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:00 AM   #3
MiniG0D
Teknulogicuhly Challunged

Feedback Rating: (8)

Bike(s):
2008 600RR Graffiti Edition

Mainframe isn't that loud. It's just friggen heavy. And that's not necessarily true about the expensive helmets being loud bc of lightweight mess. They are also more aerodynamic and sustain more wind tunnel testing to keep that noise down. The Shoei 1100 is a fairly quiet helmet. If you don't mind the solid color schemes you can get them for less than you'd think. Arais cheaper ones are fairly quiet too.

Depends on what you are WILLING to spend. If its sub $250 I'd probably get a scorpion. $350ish you can get a Suomy online which i prefer over the arai and Shoei. $400ish you can get into the solid color arai and Shoei. They make some nice exotic brands that are geared towards touring that are very quiet but are expensive.

I'm guessing I'm allowed to but if not I appologize for the referral but check out revzilla.com for a huge selection and a good deal of reviews (and many are shown/described in video format too). You can buy the helmet from a site sponsor but the reviews are valuable.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:13 AM   #4
pinball
I got slow

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

My guess is that you have the wrong size/shape helmet. For example:

Let's say your head is 58cm around (hat size 7 3/8 if your head was perfectly round), but instead of being perfectly round, your head is fairly long and narrow. 58cm is a Large for most manufacturers, but if the helmet is round, you will need an XL for it to fit comfortably. It would be too big on the sides and noisy as . However, a Large "slightly narrow" helmet would fit perfectly.

See my post from another thread below. It's a little old, but the info is still relevant.

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...6&postcount=35
pinball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:16 AM   #5
Rael
Communist Plant

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r

The shoei qwest is fairly quiet and cheap for a shoei. The only downside is the liner beds in a little too much over time so buy it a little tight.
Rael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:24 AM   #6
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rael View Post
The shoei qwest is fairly quiet and cheap for a shoei. The only downside is the liner beds in a little too much over time so buy it a little tight.
I'll definitely agree with the quite part. Only problem is that it's heavy and it's a touring helmet, so it's made for an upright riding position. I have one and used it for almost a year until I bought my Shark. Granted, the Qwest was the wrong shape for my head, but the aerodynamics sucked. My neck would get tired from fighting the wind after less 45 minutes.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:31 AM   #7
Rael
Communist Plant

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'12 Griso 8v
'13 Wr250r

It isn't that heavy, and is lighter than most modular helmets. It worked fine for me on my monster which has a slightly off-standard riding position.

Edit: webbikeworld.com
Rael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:28 AM   #8
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Yeah...it's definitely lighter than most modulars, and it's well suited for standards and cruisers. Sportbikes...not so much. Tried it briefly on my gixxer. It would whistle around the face shield, the forward riding position all but killed the functionality of the top vent.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:31 AM   #9
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

What has already been said is pretty right. I don't know how "quiet" Icons are though.

I see you wear earplugs. What kind? Ever thought about custom molded ones. Much cheaper than buying a new helmet that won't reduce noise drastically.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:54 AM   #10
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
What has already been said is pretty right. I don't know how "quiet" Icons are though.

I see you wear earplugs. What kind? Ever thought about custom molded ones. Much cheaper than buying a new helmet that won't reduce noise drastically.

Gun show at the Pasadena Convention Center the 14-15th. Guy will be there making them (he's always set up by the doors). Tell him you want a half-pour because you wear a helmet, and don't get a lanyard.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:04 AM   #11
AstroGlide

Experience: 6 years

I have not had custom ones made, that is an excellent idea! I understand what a half pour is....however what is a lanyard? Also thank you to everyone else for the advice given about the helmets. I have these rubber/foam ear plugs that look like they have different ridges on them. The outer ridge, then as you go more towards the inner ear they get smaller and smaller. I may try foam ones today but i've never had luck with them staying in. These rubber/foam ones are easy to shove in pretty deep. I have gotten good at reading lips since I have some of the hearing loss back....I just want to avoid ever having to use the hearing aids again.
AstroGlide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:09 AM   #12
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroGlide View Post
I have not had custom ones made, that is an excellent idea! I understand what a half pour is....however what is a lanyard? Also thank you to everyone else for the advice given about the helmets. I have these rubber/foam ear plugs that look like they have different ridges on them. The outer ridge, then as you go more towards the inner ear they get smaller and smaller. I may try foam ones today but i've never had luck with them staying in. These rubber/foam ones are easy to shove in pretty deep. I have gotten good at reading lips since I have some of the hearing loss back....I just want to avoid ever having to use the hearing aids again.
Lanyard is the string that connects them so you can hang them around your neck when not wearing them. He molds two tabs into the plugs and ties the string to them. The tabs hit the inside of your helmet and push the plugs farther in your ears (uncomfortable), and the string will catch on your jacket when you turn your head (will pull the plugs out of your ears). Nothing like trying to get your gloved finger inside your helmet to reset the plug.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:12 AM   #13
pinball
I got slow

Big dirt bike (sold)
2003 Honda Sabre (sold)

Oh...the gun show guy dips the plugs in silicone. That way you can clean them, and if they ever start getting loose he'll re-dip them to increase the size a little. Most DIY kits don't come with silicone.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:49 PM   #14
gtdrivr
Al Gore lied to me.

Bike(s):
CBR954 arrrr arrrr

Fit means everything in a helmet. Try on 20 if you have to. When you find that one that fits your head perfectly (rf series for me), you will be in heaven!

Riding the back roads of heaven.

gtdrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:51 PM   #15
witchdoctor575
certified shutterbug

Feedback Rating: (11)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 triumph D675(sold)
05 busa LE (sold)
03 rc51 (sold)
99 superhawk (wrecked)
01 shadow 1100 (sold)

Member Garage

I had a mainframe once. it was heavy and real hot. little to no airflow inside. did I mention it was HOT? like wearing a oven on my head
witchdoctor575 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement