MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2012, 07:39 PM   #1
The BeastMaster
AKA "Reese"

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
03 honda magna
08 honda 1000 cbr
97 Honda Magna(sold)
87 Honda TRX 250R 4wheeler(sold)
1985 Honda CR 125R (sold)

NOLA unsafe pit out?

I was watching some video of the track last night and the one thing that struck me was why in the did they put pit out right in the fastest portion of the front straight? And they donít even have a blend line to separate riders entering the track at less than 100mph from the riders coming thru at 150mph+. I can already see a bad accident waiting to happen. I guess the track marshall will have to be one his/her toes when allowing riders to enter the track.
See for yourself.......

Last edited by The BeastMaster; 04-03-2012 at 07:41 PM.
The BeastMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unsafe Pinto? mathews The Circus 9 08-15-2012 08:04 AM
Men getting BJ's while driving = unsafe Echo4Hotel General Discussion (Moto Related) 80 10-07-2008 01:41 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-03-2012, 08:20 PM   #2
mkgsxr
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
07 GSXR 600 "TRACK "
03 XR70 PIT

User is banned

mkgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:33 PM   #3
The -_-Asian
Axios!

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2011 CBR 250R
04 CBR 600RR

Send a message via AIM to The -_-Asian Send a message via Skype™ to The -_-Asian
they have cones dude! Was that instructor in front..?
Old 04-03-2012, 09:05 PM   #4
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike

Member Garage

guess looks can be decieving, but i rode with some of the fastest guys in america and not one time did i think about it being unsafe, for one, the grid marshall is right there telling you when to go out, second, use some common sense just like at TWS (Texas World Speedway). look before you putt putt out into the track, it is also near the braking zone so when you go, GO! and then there is no issue!
Old 04-03-2012, 09:43 PM   #5
The BeastMaster
AKA "Reese"

Bike(s):
03 honda magna
08 honda 1000 cbr
97 Honda Magna(sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgsxr View Post
Nola is legit

Just come ride on the 21 st you will be happy
I'm considering it. That's why I was watching the videos, but I'll have to wait until I get my bike back from Tony. I still need a set of track tires for the spare set of rims and tire warmers. I've already dropped well over a grand on it in the past couple of weeks. Not including what Tony is gonna get from me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The -_-Asian View Post
they have cones dude! Was that instructor in front..?
CONES!!! cones ain't at 150mph. with the tunnel vision some people get at that speed. I bet they wouldn't even see another rider entering the track until it's too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DEAN OF LEAN View Post
guess looks can be deceiving, but i rode with some of the fastest guys in america and not one time did i think about it being unsafe, for one, the grid marshall is right there telling you when to go out, second, use some common sense just like at TWS (Texas World Speedway). look before you putt putt out into the track, it is also near the braking zone so when you go, GO! and then there is no issue!
I hope your right. I believe this is the video that you posted on another forum. As far as the grid marshall.....he or she is human and human's make mistakes. As do riders getting excited about going out for a run on the track. Accidently sending someone out at the wrong time here could easily result in horrific multi bike crash. It's really suck to have someone cram 600lbs. of man and machine up your at 100+mph. You'd think with all the safety in today's society and sports that they would have atleast made the entry alittle longer and wider and put a blend line between the 2.

TWS (Texas World Speedway) is waay different, you have a much longer stretch to get up to speed. A much wider entry point where you are entering in the corner/braking zone.
Riders coming down the hi banked front straight are way up above the pit wall so they can easily see you entering and the pit out doesn't put you directly on the line of someone getting ready to set up for braking and turn in.
NOLA
Looks as if it is very short run to get on the track then it dumps you right out directly on the race line in front of someone near the end of there acceleration point. Just before they go into the process of transitioning to braking.
Yea the fastest part of the track usually comes just before a breaking zone. So a rider starting to think about the braking and setting up for it will take some of his attention away from watching for others entering into his path.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:03 PM   #6
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike

Member Garage

TWS (Texas World Speedway) is way more dangerous of a pit out than nola. for one, the rider entering has a corner to make, second, most riders slow down and dont stay insdie the blend line then you have a rider coming down and trying to see where the rider ahead has to go, hoping to not make the wrong decision

nola is simple, rider entering gets on gas makes sure no bike is coming and safely enters the track, rider on hot lap sees rider coming on track and moves over a few feet and continues on his line.

i really dont see the problem???

am i mssing something?
Old 04-03-2012, 10:09 PM   #7
The BeastMaster
AKA "Reese"

Bike(s):
03 honda magna
08 honda 1000 cbr
97 Honda Magna(sold)

Quote:
TWS (Texas World Speedway) is way more dangerous of a pit out than nola. for one, the rider entering has a corner to make, second, most riders slow down and dont stay insdie the blend line then you have a rider coming down and trying to see where the rider ahead has to go, hoping to not make the wrong decision

nola is simple, rider entering gets on gas makes sure no bike is coming and safely enters the track, rider on hot lap sees rider coming on track and moves over a few feet and continues on his line.

i really dont see the problem???

am i mssing something?
Hope not. You've been there. In referance to this conversation, I have only been to TWS (Texas World Speedway). Guess I'll just have to go ride NOLA and see for myself. Hope to see you there.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:36 PM   #8
The -_-Asian
Axios!

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
2011 CBR 250R
04 CBR 600RR

Send a message via AIM to The -_-Asian Send a message via Skype™ to The -_-Asian
I want to be out there too, but i'm planning on going in October... Will be on Bourbon Street this weekend and hopefully will have time drive by the track.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:01 AM   #9
kibitzer
Donkey punch 2 the soul

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR
02 XR100(tarded)
07 CRF50 (mini tard)

I don't see it being an issue in an advanced group, but it might get a little hairy in an intermediate group with a mix of more and less experienced riders.

I guess I'll find out for myself on the 21st.
kibitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #10
GrayJ
Do a barrel roll!

Bike(s):
2004 SV650
1998 Shadow 1100
2005 CRF450R tard
2007 CRF50
Yamaha PW 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reese View Post
CONES!!! cones ain't at 150mph. with the tunnel vision some people get at that speed. I bet they wouldn't even see another rider entering the track until it's too late.

TWS (Texas World Speedway) is waay different, you have a much longer stretch to get up to speed. A much wider entry point where you are entering in the corner/braking zone.
Riders coming down the hi banked front straight are way up above the pit wall so they can easily see you entering and the pit out doesn't put you directly on the line of someone getting ready to set up for braking and turn in.
NOLA
Looks as if it is very short run to get on the track then it dumps you right out directly on the race line in front of someone near the end of there acceleration point. Just before they go into the process of transitioning to braking.
Yea the fastest part of the track usually comes just before a breaking zone. So a rider starting to think about the braking and setting up for it will take some of his attention away from watching for others entering into his path.
I'm with Dean.. there's no force field on the blend line, just as easy to get cratered.. and if the tunnel vision is that bad at speed then you wouldn't see anyone at TWS (Texas World Speedway) either. Either way this is just speculation (on both of our accounts) I will revisit this thread after I get to try it out this month
GrayJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:12 AM   #11
ArturoC
51% Geek, 49% SuperHero

Bike(s):
'99 GSXR600
'04 NSR 50
'09 Yamaha WR250X
'07 Triumph 675

Member Garage

Send a message via ICQ to ArturoC Send a message via AIM to ArturoC Send a message via Yahoo to ArturoC Send a message via Skype™ to ArturoC
Only you can prevent pit out collisions.

smokey1 det
CMRA [Prov Nov]ice #404
Sponsors: D&D - GoPro - Amsoil
ArturoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:37 AM   #12
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike

Member Garage

http://roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=47927

Nice article about NOLA! Good Luck to you guys and gals this weekend. Notice it says nothing about unsafe Pit Out
Old 04-17-2012, 10:52 AM   #13
kibitzer
Donkey punch 2 the soul

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR
02 XR100(tarded)
07 CRF50 (mini tard)

Quote:
http://roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=47927

Nice article about NOLA! Good Luck to you guys and gals this weekend. Notice it says nothing about unsafe Pit Out
To be fair I don't think any negatives would be mentioned in that article.

Plus the exhibition laps probably didn't expose DiSalvo to much pit in/ pit out traffic.
kibitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:30 PM   #14
THE DEAN OF LEAN
CMRA/WERA #171 AMA#771

Bike(s):
GSXR 600 Race Bike

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibitzer View Post
To be fair I don't think any negatives would be mentioned in that article.

Plus the exhibition laps probably didn't expose DiSalvo to much pit in/ pit out traffic.
those guys generally give honest feedback as they know the risks involved. And during qualifying and practice riders come in and out of the pits several times. I think when they do test laps they have everything in mind
Old 04-19-2012, 08:50 AM   #15
rc51eviltwin

trackdays shouldn't have an issue.
if anything ,maybe during endurance racing when racers come out of pit hauling the mail...even then , pitout has a good view of possible oncoming traffic.
but common sense is as common as common curtesy
CMRA #131 Novice
"Ramrod Racing" #13

IMG 29388 1
rc51eviltwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:04 AM   #16
rc51eviltwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The -_-Asian View Post
they have cones dude!
as far as gettin A packed, cones make for a "safer " entry to the track, or pit for that matter.
people ride over blend lines, i know i do at ECR.
but have yet to see someone purposely break a line set by cones.
anyone with tunnel vision bad enough NOT to see their periphials <sp> on the track, should not be there IMHO.
for any one to trust the track marshal to "check" their entry window is just not very smart.
CMRA #131 Novice
"Ramrod Racing" #13

IMG 29388 1
rc51eviltwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement