MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2012, 08:23 AM   #1
kibitzer
Donkey punch 2 the soul

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR
02 XR100(tarded)
07 CRF50 (mini tard)

TWS (Texas World Speedway) - shifting gears question

Apologize if this has been discussed before, but I'm looking for some help with being in the right gear at the right places for TWS (Texas World Speedway) from the sub 2:00 riders.

I need a quick run down going around the track to what gear you're in and where you're shifting. I'm stuck at the 2:00 mark and feel that my shifting is one of several issues I'm having at that track.

I'm running a 600 with the usual -1/+2 sprocket setup if that makes a difference.

Also, I was out there recently and noticed that T6 was missing a few of the usual bumps. Did that area get repaired? And if so has it caused a line adjustment for anyone?
kibitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Beginner Shifting Question blinkstafoo182 General Discussion (Moto Related) 38 09-20-2013 04:53 PM
Shifting Gears Question/Issue Urban Ninja General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 06-14-2010 01:01 AM
Question About Shifting viper15 General Discussion (Moto Related) 39 07-05-2008 11:06 AM
shifting gears Romeo36 General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 04-02-2007 11:18 AM
Problems Shifting Gears Bgsxr1000 How To's and Q & A's 10 06-27-2006 01:07 AM
Advertisement
Old 04-03-2012, 09:05 AM   #2
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
Too many variables bro.

Wind, track conditions, bike model/size, rider experience, rider style, rider weight, etc..

The gear you should be in is the gear that keeps your bike in its powerband.

For example, I ran 1:48 on my r6 and Alonzo ran the same, but he was running a different front and rear sprocket size with a different ratio then me. You wanna break the 2 minute mark, work on your throttle application. Get on the gas sooner and harder, that's where all the time will be found. That and Turn 1 entry. Post a pic of your rear tire and I'll try and explain in more detail.

Hope that helps bro.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:10 AM   #3
mkgsxr
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
07 GSXR 600 "TRACK "
03 XR70 PIT

User is banned

mkgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:13 AM   #4
kibitzer
Donkey punch 2 the soul

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR
02 XR100(tarded)
07 CRF50 (mini tard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpaint View Post
Too many variables bro.

Wind, track conditions, bike model/size, rider experience, rider style, rider weight, etc..

The gear you should be in is the gear that keeps your bike in its powerband.

For example, I ran 1:48 on my r6 and Alonzo ran the same, but he was running a different front and rear sprocket size with a different ratio then me. You wanna break the 2 minute mark, work on your throttle application. Get on the gas sooner and harder, that's where all the time will be found. That and Turn 1 entry. Post a pic of your rear tire and I'll try and explain in more detail.

Hope that helps bro.
It does. I figured it was going to be a bit more complicated.

I'll take a pic this afternoon of the tire. The last day I ran was the CMRA Friday so it should be as good an indicator as I can give you.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:14 AM   #5
Skid

Bike(s):
CBR600RR

Shifting points are very subjective. Mostly because it depends on your bikes gearing ratios for each gear, drive sprockets and tire size. All of these will make a difference on where you shift as well. What that being said, it seems like a -1/+2 might be a bit overkill for TWS (Texas World Speedway). I figure you should probably be around a -1/0 or 0/+2. Are you hitting the rev limiter before going into turn 1?

For TWS (Texas World Speedway) and tracks with really fast, long straights try and get your bike in 6th gear and about 1 or 2 thousand off of redline when you finally get off of the throttle and onto the brakes. Once it is geared that way, you can make small adjustments in gearing to get the best drive off of the fastest corners leading onto the longer sections of track (think turn 2, 6, 11 and 15 at TWS (Texas World Speedway)) so you aren't shifting is the dead middle of the corner.

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
Skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:18 AM   #6
kibitzer
Donkey punch 2 the soul

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR
02 XR100(tarded)
07 CRF50 (mini tard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skid View Post
Shifting points are very subjective. Mostly because it depends on your bikes gearing ratios for each gear, drive sprockets and tire size. All of these will make a difference on where you shift as well. What that being said, it seems like a -1/+2 might be a bit overkill for TWS (Texas World Speedway). I figure you should probably be around a -1/0 or 0/+2. Are you hitting the rev limiter before going into turn 1?

For TWS (Texas World Speedway) and tracks with really fast, long straights try and get your bike in 6th gear and about 1 or 2 thousand off of redline when you finally get off of the throttle and onto the brakes. Once it is geared that way, you can make small adjustments in gearing to get the best drive off of the fastest corners leading onto the longer sections of track (think turn 2, 6, 11 and 15 at TWS (Texas World Speedway)) so you aren't shifting is the dead middle of the corner.
I'm just getting topped out before T1. I know that as I get better laptimes I'll be able to squeeze more out with a different sprocket setup, but as of the moment I'm struggling with so many aspects of that track that a sprocket change is the very least of my concerns.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:34 AM   #7
Skid

Bike(s):
CBR600RR

Just something to keep an eye on as you get faster. If are are coming too close to the red line or topped out at the end of the straight it isn't really pulling hard anymore and there will be a lot of time left on the track and your time through turn one will suffer.

But like Tony said, work on you exits and your drives out of the corners I stated above and never overlook you corner entry speeds either.

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
Skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:53 AM   #8
Get Some!

Feedback Rating: (1)

What works for me might not work for you. I'll tell you what I do and how I shift...

07 gsxr600 (-1/+1) consistent 1:50.XX flat

Turn 1 (top of 6th gear downshift into 3rd) Turn 2 (3rd shifting into 4th on exit) Turn 3 (Downshift from 4th to 2nd emphasis on blipping to keep the rpms high shifting into 3rd over wheelie hill) Turn 4 (Downshift from 3rd into 2nd emphasis on blipping hug that mther fcking curbing and power to the edge on exit) Turn 5 (Maintenance throttle 3rd gear with a little bit of WOT after the turn to get to the edge) Turn 6 (Downshift to 2nd and gas HARD as soon as you hit the apex) Turn 7 (downshift from 5th to 3rd... Gas HARD at apex WFO!! Shifting into 4th) Turn 8 (Downshift into 3rd and carry as much speed as possible) Turn 9 (downshift into 2nd) Turn 10 (downshift from 3rd into 2nd) Turn 11 (2nd gear) Turn 12 (maintenance throttle in 3rd gear HARD on the GAS on apex) Turn 13,14,15 (Downshift into 2nd, carry speed, and hug Turn 15's curbing on exiting HARD on the GAS!!!)
103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:01 AM   #9
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

On the CBR I was running a -1/+2 at all track except TWS (Texas World Speedway). I ran a -1/+1 in there. I think I still have the 520 +1 sprocket if you want it.

AJ's shifting makes a lot of sense.
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:05 AM   #10
kibitzer
Donkey punch 2 the soul

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR
02 XR100(tarded)
07 CRF50 (mini tard)

AJ, thanks a bunch. It's easy to see why there is a ten second gap in our lap times. You're doing a lot more work and it's paying off.

Irak, I'll take that sprocket off your hands with a smile.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:29 AM   #11
Get Some!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibitzer View Post
AJ, thanks a bunch. It's easy to see why there is a ten second gap in our lap times. You're doing a lot more work and it's paying off.

Irak, I'll take that sprocket off your hands with a smile.
You have to keep that 600 SCREAMING!!!
Old 04-03-2012, 10:45 AM   #12
kibitzer
Donkey punch 2 the soul

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR
02 XR100(tarded)
07 CRF50 (mini tard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 103 View Post
You have to keep that 600 SCREAMING!!!
There's just something about TWS (Texas World Speedway) that throws me off. I've never crashed there, but had a lot of slips and bobbles thanks to the bumpy surface and a crappy suspension setup.

That has all been resolved, but I'm suffering a mental block on committing to the turns and trusting the surface.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:47 AM   #13
mkgsxr
Banned

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
07 GSXR 600 "TRACK "
03 XR70 PIT

User is banned

mkgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #14
1FC
380 Racing & Paint

Bike(s):
GSXR
GSXR
GSXR
GSXR

If you get a track layout I can give you a rough estimate of what gear I would suggest going into all corners and that would be the same gear for the exit.

Ill try and print a map and scann it with gears.
1FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:04 AM   #15
1FC
380 Racing & Paint

Bike(s):
GSXR
GSXR
GSXR
GSXR

Turn 4 and 7 some go down 1 gear more than I do.

Hope this helps

Click image for larger version

Name:	TWS (Texas World Speedway) (Large).jpg
Views:	104
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	54787
1FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:06 AM   #16
Get Some!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibitzer View Post
There's just something about TWS (Texas World Speedway) that throws me off. I've never crashed there, but had a lot of slips and bobbles thanks to the bumpy surface and a crappy suspension setup.

That has all been resolved, but I'm suffering a mental block on committing to the turns and trusting the surface.
TWS (Texas World Speedway) has great traction even on all of the sealer. Your bike will need to be setup right to safely ride faster. I've been able to do a 55 on stock suspension and a 53 with a rear shock. I can remember how my bike felt back then. It was really scaring getting on the gas because I didn't know where my bike would end up (sometimes it holds a line sometimes it did't). Hopefully your bike is all sorted out and you will feel a difference.

In all honesty I think TWS (Texas World Speedway) is one of the smoothest tracks in Texas with only Cresson being smoother.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:11 AM   #17
kibitzer
Donkey punch 2 the soul

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR
02 XR100(tarded)
07 CRF50 (mini tard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FC View Post
Turn 4 and 7 some go down 1 gear more than I do.

Hope this helps

Attachment 54787
Thanks a bunch. I need to do some studying before Saturday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 103 View Post
TWS (Texas World Speedway) has great traction even on all of the sealer. Your bike will need to be setup right to safely ride faster. I've been able to do a 55 on stock suspension and a 53 with a rear shock. I can remember how my bike felt back then. It was really scaring getting on the gas because I didn't know where my bike would end up (sometimes it holds a line sometimes it did't). Hopefully your bike is all sorted out and you will feel a difference.

In all honesty I think TWS (Texas World Speedway) is one of the smoothest tracks in Texas with only Cresson being smoother.
I had similar issues with the stock suspension. For 07+, Honda decided to spring the CBR for a 210lb rider. At 155lbs I was having some issues with that.

Went from a stock, oversprung suspension to Ohlins 30mm cartridges up front and TTX out back. Got tired of being told I was too light for the stock stuff and just went whole hog.

If I can't do it on that suspension I just can't do it. Only problem is that now I can't blame the bike for being slow.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:44 AM   #18
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

I dont gear my motorcycle for the longest straight. You def do not want to run out of gear but your main objective is to not get caught between gears and balance that with optimal drive out of the corners.
cdill35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:42 PM   #19
kibitzer
Donkey punch 2 the soul

Bike(s):
2007 CBR600RR
02 XR100(tarded)
07 CRF50 (mini tard)

Thanks to everyone that commented on this thread. It all helped.

AJ your comments on the line in 8 prompted me to talk to a couple of pros today. I ended up taking your help in 8 and their help in 5-6 to correct some majorly poor choices of my own.

Overall I dropped from a 2:02.8 to a 1:58.5 today. I know that I have a lot more work to do and that it may not seem fast to most of you, but it feels great dropping a little better than 4 seconds by applying what I've been told.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:34 PM   #20
dinosaur
Retired in place

Bike(s):
'05 Zx6-R (636)Sold

follow the old guy if you can!!
CMRA #414
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote