MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2012, 05:19 PM   #21
mikesrex
stock bottom end

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphish View Post
Haul it if you can. I went down my first track day and had to ask strangers to drop off my bike at the house. The strangers became new friends, so that's good. But yeah - have a plan in case you can't ride back.
this is good advice IMO. even if the bike is street legal and he is confident he will be able to drive there and home, it makes a lot more sense to tow the bike and all the tools/accessories and also bring friends along.

I don't track a bike, but I go to race tracks on a regular basis and more often than not trailer my daily driven car with my truck so i can easily bring my friends, tools, etc... with me. I've fixed minor (and major issues) on the car with my tools a couple times, but most of the time my extra stuff has allowed me to help others and make new friends while enjoying myself.

I'm not sure how long you guys run at the track, but I'd imagine it is a lot more physically demanding than working on and driving a car, so it is nice to be able to load everything up and get into a comfy truck for the drive home after a long day at the track.

That is what I think about towing my daily driver and the advice I can give about towing cars/bikes to a race track. According to bun1t it is a cardinal sin to trailer a car/bike to a race track, but maybe I can help convince him it is a good idea.
mikesrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
N00b questions: What front forks do I have and TMGP tire questions E-Train Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 4 10-24-2013 08:04 AM
Never been to a trackday...? Anyone here? Snow Taking it to the Track 21 12-06-2010 12:03 PM
Trackday Questions pimp2303 Taking it to the Track 44 09-25-2007 01:45 PM
My first trackday...... mongofeet General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 11-14-2006 11:58 AM
TRACKDAY!!!! brendan0918 General Discussion (Moto Related) 36 03-21-2006 12:50 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-05-2012, 04:28 PM   #22
bun1t

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
Gen 4 ZX10R
Honda Grom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesrex View Post
glad to see you wanting to bring your bike to a track instead of trying to street race everyone in sight. make a check list before you go even if it's a mental check list, then doublecheck everything before hitting the road.

as for racing me, i told you in person at IFO that I would race you after I got eliminated in my class or won my class. I won my class against the big and bad EVO's and other "fast" cars while on low boost, then cranked the boost to kill for a run with your bike since you couldn't back up your talk with your slow car. You were nowhere to be found. I'm glad I cranked the boost, because I got one of the best kills the stock 1.6 bottom end has ever seen.... I got to destroy a new ZR1 twice before I crossed the border on the way home.

Just take this as constructive criticism....nobody likes a guy who talks with his car and then wants to bring out a bike when he loses with his car multiple times. We call guys like you bikefags.... Just lose and say good run. That's what racing is all about.... You talk , you race and then you win or lose without making 92475697697 excuses or stipulations... you lost bro....multiple times... get over it you are slow...either make your car faster to back up your talk, or stop running your mouth as much to match the slowness of your car.
Remember that thing I said about forum stalking?

He's already been banned from H-I for trolling and non stop talking and by the looks of it, he's trying to bring that drama over here.

Welcome to the forum but just do everyone a favor and don't communicate with me.
bun1t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:32 PM   #23
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bun1t View Post

He's already been banned from H-I for trolling and non stop talking and by the looks of it, he's trying to bring that drama over here.

Welcome to the forum but just do everyone a favor and don't communicate with me.
You sound like my ex-girlfriend

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:12 PM   #24
bun1t

Bike(s):
Gen 4 ZX10R
Honda Grom

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
I feel i'm dealing with an ex- gf, lol

I'm planning to hit up a meet next week to get some info from some trackheads. As for my tires, they're in good shape but i'd rather have my bike ready instead having to pull my wheels off at the track so was wondering what "50%" is.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:44 PM   #25
scoutguy
pack leeder

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Rocket III
95 Triumph Thunderbird
96 Triumph Daytona 1200-now Tojo92's toy
95 Triumph Speed Triple
KTM 990 ADV

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRider View Post
You actually date women or was that a euphemism?
scoutguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:57 AM   #26
cyberone28

Bike(s):
the one on my avatar

cyberone28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:02 AM   #27
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Quote:
I feel i'm dealing with an ex- gf, lol

I'm planning to hit up a meet next week to get some info from some trackheads. As for my tires, they're in good shape but i'd rather have my bike ready instead having to pull my wheels off at the track so was wondering what "50%" is.
Refer to post #13 if you want a literal measurement answer, but can't have good tread on the side, and bald in the middle or vice versa.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:22 AM   #28
switch
two fifty

Experience: 4 years

its also customary for a trackday newbie to bring me a fresh set of tires (i'm partial to pirelli diablo super corsas, or suberbike slicks). you know, its tradition.
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:24 AM   #29
mikesrex
stock bottom end

Quote:

lol it's not forum stalking when I get messages from my friends that link me to you talking about me. Get over it already bun1t.... you trolled for me for what, the better part of 3 years with name-calling, personal attacks and other nonsense.... and now you are annoyed when someone calls you out on your fail when you open your mouth? lighten up bro, it's the internets.

on a more serious note, IMO you should trailer the bike there. although you have talked major on others for trailering anything to a race track, I believe you should reconsider and look at the benefits of doing so. Even if you are confident in your bike's mechanical condition and your riding ability, sometimes it is just funner to bring along some friends in the truck for the ride there and back with any tools/accessories easily carried along just in case you need anything or have a chance to help someone else. I don't bring bikes to the track to race, but I know I have fun either way, whether I'm driving my cars or trailering them to the track. For me I have won the most epic races and run my best ET's in my cars when I drive them from my house to the race track and back home, so I don't fault you if you want to ride your bike to the track. I can see advantages and disadvantages for either choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by switch View Post
its also customary for a trackday newbie to bring me a fresh set of tires (i'm partial to pirelli diablo super corsas, or suberbike slicks). you know, its tradition.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:51 AM   #30
dinosaur
Retired in place

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'05 Zx6-R (636)Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by switch View Post
do the tires need to be kid size also? did i say that out loud? sorry
CMRA #414
dinosaur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:12 AM   #31
wiayeman
TOONTOON BLACKNWHITEARMY

Bike(s):
99 SV650 (race)x2
79 XS650
08 EX250R (race)
14 MSX125
88 YSR (race)

DO NOT ride your bike to the track. You will be completely exhausted by the second session after lunch, so much so that you will not want to ride home or perhaps be able to. If you have an off, which is common for a newb, how do you get home?

Leave your ego and talking at the house. Come down with an open mind and try to be a sponge. If you come to the track thinking it's a piece of , you will end up in the grass or an ambulance.

There is a load of experience and advice on this board, so utilise it. Try to find old dudes that don't limp too badly as they probably have the best advice.

One thing to remember that in to regard to bikes.......it's the rider, not the bike.

Take a deep breath and have fun.
CMRA#645
Purple Helmets Endurance Team
wiayeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:24 AM   #32
dinosaur
Retired in place

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'05 Zx6-R (636)Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiayeman View Post
DO NOT ride your bike to the track. You will be completely exhausted by the second session after lunch, so much so that you will not want to ride home or perhaps be able to. If you have an off, which is common for a newb, how do you get home?

Leave your ego and talking at the house. Come down with an open mind and try to be a sponge. If you come to the track thinking it's a piece of , you will end up in the grass or an ambulance.

There is a load of experience and advice on this board, so utilise it. Try to find old dudes that don't limp too badly as they probably have the best advice.
One thing to remember that in to regard to bikes.......it's the rider, not the bike.

that's funny right there!
CMRA #414
dinosaur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:07 PM   #33
switch
two fifty

Experience: 4 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
do the tires need to be kid size also? did i say that out loud? sorry
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:16 PM   #34
bun1t

Bike(s):
Gen 4 ZX10R
Honda Grom

Quote:
lol it's not forum stalking when I get messages from my friends that link me to you talking about me. Get over it already bun1t.... you trolled for me for what, the better part of 3 years with name-calling, personal attacks and other nonsense.... and now you are annoyed when someone calls you out on your fail when you open your mouth? lighten up bro, it's the internets.
:
If your buddy hadn't asked me a question about you, your name wouldn't have even been brought up. And how was I talking ? I said you forum stalked people, which is what you're doing this very moment. You don't have a bike and in your intro thread you even said you came here because your name was mentioned. You have mental issues dude. Please move on with your life.

I'm not getting into this tired old argument with you. I'm not in your thread calling you a dumbass for wanting a busa for a first bike so give me the same courtesy and stay out of my thread.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:20 PM   #35
bun1t

Bike(s):
Gen 4 ZX10R
Honda Grom

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiayeman View Post

Trust me i'm not going in with with a chip on my shoulder at all. I'm not going to be out there try to race. I'm just looking at an opportunity to better my riding skills and hit some corners without having to worry about traffic, police, gravel, squirrels and all the other typical street riding hazards
Old 04-07-2012, 12:29 PM   #36
Hung
Yes that's my name.

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R6
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
2002 Suzuki SV650N
2005 Honda CBR 600RR (Stolen, Recovered)
2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (Sold)

A late welcome to the boards to you. Along with everyone else I recommend hauling your bike to the track. The last thing you'll wanna do at the end of a track day is ride home, and that's if you make it to that point and your bike is still operational as many people are pointing out.

If you check the motorcycle school sites they have a lot of useful information that will answer your questions. They are both sponsors on MH as well. Look forward to seeing you out on the track. Leave the drama at home and you'll be in for a lot of fun and be able to make a lot of good company.

Mike, look forward to seeing you out on two as well.
Hung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:35 PM   #37
mikesrex
stock bottom end

Quote:
If your buddy hadn't asked me a question about you, your name wouldn't have even been brought up. And how was I talking ? I said you forum stalked people, which is what you're doing this very moment. You don't have a bike and in your intro thread you even said you came here because your name was mentioned. You have mental issues dude. Please move on with your life.

I'm not getting into this tired old argument with you. I'm not in your thread calling you a dumbass for wanting a busa for a first bike so give me the same courtesy and stay out of my thread.
no point in arguing with you, I got my point across already. you will obviously call me a troll and forum stalker, and i will give you every time you resort to name-calling or trolling. how are you going to tell me i'm a forum stalker when you are the one who started with me in the first place, both here and on other forums? i've been meaning to join MH to help get info on selecting a bike, and a friend linking me to your post is what reminded me to sign up.

you would think guys like you would finally figure out something is up when I turn the boost all the way down and beat you while lifting in 4th at the track, also win the FIS class at the next IFO while running consistent 11.50's in a car without a cage... then agree to run your liter bike on the streets????

you are trying to argue against someone who is much smarter than you and knows far more about making things go fast. just give it up already and drop the issue... i promise i will play nice with you the moment you stop calling me names and talking .

I'm pretty sure we have helped give you info on what you may want to bring and why it is beneficial to tow your bike to the track. Good luck on your track experiences.

feel free to post in my thread on why getting a busa is a stupid choice. you guys know way more than me about bikes, and i'm going to take what you have to say into consideration. i'm here to learn as much as i can and get a good idea on what i should do. that being said, i also know that some people on forums post with some sort of elitist mentality and act like they know everything while n00bs are just plain stupid. I'm a smart guy and can sort through all the info. all in all i will get some good useful information from my thread on how to select a bike for what i want. i welcome you to post what you think about it. keep in mind that i'm not a small guy. i'm 6'2" and right at 260lb.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:31 PM   #38
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)

Quote:

sounds like a reasonable request.
Quote:
no point in arguing with you, I got my point across already. you will obviously call me a troll and forum stalker, and i will give you every time you resort to name-calling or trolling. how are you going to tell me i'm a forum stalker when you are the one who started with me in the first place, both here and on other forums? i've been meaning to join MH to help get info on selecting a bike, and a friend linking me to your post is what reminded me to sign up.

you would think guys like you would finally figure out something is up when I turn the boost all the way down and beat you while lifting in 4th at the track, also win the FIS class at the next IFO while running consistent 11.50's in a car without a cage... then agree to run your liter bike on the streets????

you are trying to argue against someone who is much smarter than you and knows far more about making things go fast. just give it up already and drop the issue... i promise i will play nice with you the moment you stop calling me names and talking .

I'm pretty sure we have helped give you info on what you may want to bring and why it is beneficial to tow your bike to the track. Good luck on your track experiences.

feel free to post in my thread on why getting a busa is a stupid choice. you guys know way more than me about bikes, and i'm going to take what you have to say into consideration. i'm here to learn as much as i can and get a good idea on what i should do. that being said, i also know that some people on forums post with some sort of elitist mentality and act like they know everything while n00bs are just plain stupid. I'm a smart guy and can sort through all the info. all in all i will get some good useful information from my thread on how to select a bike for what i want. i welcome you to post what you think about it. keep in mind that i'm not a small guy. i'm 6'2" and right at 260lb.
Dude, I didn't read your freaking novel...

But seriously, now you are trolling...

Your point was made a while ago and I was on your side, now, you are just annoying...I'm surprised the mods have let you on this thread for this long...

Really up a thread with potential...good job.

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:40 PM   #39
bun1t

Bike(s):
Gen 4 ZX10R
Honda Grom

Quote:

Cool story bro, welcome to my ignore list.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:51 PM   #40
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

there you go the ignore button works wonders.... more folks should use it.
I find it actually helps with MY attitude. Helps keep ME in check.

Advertisement