MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2012, 05:39 PM   #1
bun1t

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
Gen 4 ZX10R
Honda Grom

First trackday questions

I'm thinking about signing up for my first track day at msr in May. I've been riding for about 7 years so it's long overdue. I saw the free gear rental voucher so the only thing I'll need is gaunlet gloves.

I read the trackday threads but i'm still curious about a couple things. Does anyone ride to the track or is it usually easier to haul it? If I do haul i'll bring the obvious things like stands and tools, anything not so obvious that I should bring? As for the tire requirement, whats the measurement for 50%?
bun1t is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
N00b questions: What front forks do I have and TMGP tire questions E-Train Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 4 10-24-2013 08:04 AM
Never been to a trackday...? Anyone here? Snow Taking it to the Track 21 12-06-2010 12:03 PM
Trackday Questions pimp2303 Taking it to the Track 44 09-25-2007 01:45 PM
My first trackday...... mongofeet General Discussion (Moto Related) 16 11-14-2006 11:58 AM
TRACKDAY!!!! brendan0918 General Discussion (Moto Related) 36 03-21-2006 12:50 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-02-2012, 05:45 PM   #2
ormand
Deelish!

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2009 Ninja 650r
Total Mileage: 42,000

I have ridden to a few trackdays (GSS and MSRH) on bike in full leathers with a tank bag that contained scissors, zipties, painter's tape and a few basic tools. I have done this only when I know for sure I have pit buddies attending that are coming with everything else I need, like proper tools, air compressor, chairs, etc.

For your first time, you may want to haul your bike assuming you can, and if you cannot, you may want to get a ride from someone or rent a truck. Not trying to be a but you will need a ride if you go down.

For tire thickness, I think it's 1/16" if I recall correctly?

On a sidenote, when are you going to finish your business with Mikesrex? lol You might want to do that first before a trackday
Old 04-02-2012, 06:25 PM   #3
Supa Dave
The Chupacabra

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
GSX-R 600
KX250 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormand View Post
I have ridden to a few trackdays (GSS and MSRH) on bike in full leathers with a tank bag that contained scissors, zipties, painter's tape and a few basic tools. I have done this only when I know for sure I have pit buddies attending that are coming with everything else I need, like proper tools, air compressor, chairs, etc.

For your first time, you may want to haul your bike assuming you can, and if you cannot, you may want to get a ride from someone or rent a truck. Not trying to be a but you will need a ride if you go down.

On a sidenote, when are you going to finish your business with Mikesrex? lol You might want to do that first before a trackday
Old 04-02-2012, 07:00 PM   #4
bun1t

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
Gen 4 ZX10R
Honda Grom

Quote:

Yeah, I can use my brothers truck, so it shouldn't be too much trouble. As for mikesrex, I asked if he wanted to run at ifo and he showed no interest. After he facebook and forum stalked other people, I decided to leave it alone. It's not worth the time
bun1t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:21 PM   #5
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Feedback Rating: (17)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Tire gauge and extra gas.

OH and the BIKE KEY. You might be surprised how many times its happened. Put it on your car keys the night before.

If you have a hitch, uhaul rents trailers for $15 a day. Super easy process too. Or you can post up in the org's thread and ask for a ride.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:40 PM   #6
mkgsxr
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
07 GSXR 600 "TRACK "
03 XR70 PIT

User is banned

mkgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:59 PM   #7
Rykoson
Brawp Brawp!

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
www.shortfilmproductions.org
2009 YZF-R6-Rest in Peace
2011 ZX-6R Kawasaki Ninja-Track/Street

Member Garage

Plenty of info on here.

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=97
STREET SCHOLARS PRODUCTIONS-Hookit
Rykoson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #8
mikesrex
stock bottom end

Experience: 1-3 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by bun1t View Post
Yeah, I can use my brothers truck, so it shouldn't be too much trouble. As for mikesrex, I asked if he wanted to run at ifo and he showed no interest. After he facebook and forum stalked other people, I decided to leave it alone. It's not worth the time
glad to see you wanting to bring your bike to a track instead of trying to street race everyone in sight. make a check list before you go even if it's a mental check list, then doublecheck everything before hitting the road.

as for racing me, i told you in person at IFO that I would race you after I got eliminated in my class or won my class. I won my class against the big and bad EVO's and other "fast" cars while on low boost, then cranked the boost to kill for a run with your bike since you couldn't back up your talk with your slow car. You were nowhere to be found. I'm glad I cranked the boost, because I got one of the best kills the stock 1.6 bottom end has ever seen.... I got to destroy a new ZR1 twice before I crossed the border on the way home.

Just take this as constructive criticism....nobody likes a guy who talks with his car and then wants to bring out a bike when he loses with his car multiple times. We call guys like you bikefags.... Just lose and say good run. That's what racing is all about.... You talk , you race and then you win or lose without making 92475697697 excuses or stipulations... you lost bro....multiple times... get over it you are slow...either make your car faster to back up your talk, or stop running your mouth as much to match the slowness of your car.
mikesrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:01 PM   #9
NewRider
Riding, Eating & Partying

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Retrospec Fixie (Hipster ride)

Well, this thread didn't go the way I thought.

HALFFAST GROUP
NewRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #10
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Somebody send this troll back to H-I.....

Fukin up a good thread.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:37 PM   #11
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Mike ain't no troll.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:47 PM   #12
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
Mike ain't no troll.
Chris,
Tell me that first post had anything to do with first trackday questions.
He registered just to send a -talking post, how is that not trolling?
That couldn't have been sent in a PM.

I don't know this bun1t guy at all, so I'm not sticking up for his side dealings, but people could be getting something out of the thread instead of another popcorn eating entertainment thread.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:02 PM   #13
Senator
Dude....Seriously?

Bike(s):
Ducati S2R1000
2006 R6 (sold)
2004 R6 (sold)
97 zx6r (sold)

Quote:

No, and to get this back on track....

An average 120 front comes with 4-5/32nds of tread and a 180 rear comes with ~7/32nds. This doesn't take into account weather cracking or in rare cases of carcass separation.

If you don't have confidence in your tires, you'll be worrying more than your learning....
Old 04-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #14
Morphish
Fast for a Commuter

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2004 Suzuki Katana B12
2005 Triumph Rocket ]I[
1983 Honda GL1100 (sold)

Haul it if you can. I went down my first track day and had to ask strangers to drop off my bike at the house. The strangers became new friends, so that's good. But yeah - have a plan in case you can't ride back.
Morphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:18 PM   #15
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesrex View Post
glad to see you wanting to bring your bike to a track instead of trying to street race everyone in sight. make a check list before you go even if it's a mental check list, then doublecheck everything before hitting the road.

as for racing me, i told you in person at IFO that I would race you after I got eliminated in my class or won my class. I won my class against the big and bad EVO's and other "fast" cars while on low boost, then cranked the boost to kill for a run with your bike since you couldn't back up your talk with your slow car. You were nowhere to be found. I'm glad I cranked the boost, because I got one of the best kills the stock 1.6 bottom end has ever seen.... I got to destroy a new ZR1 twice before I crossed the border on the way home.

Just take this as constructive criticism....nobody likes a guy who talks with his car and then wants to bring out a bike when he loses with his car multiple times. We call guys like you bikefags.... Just lose and say good run. That's what racing is all about.... You talk , you race and then you win or lose without making 92475697697 excuses or stipulations... you lost bro....multiple times... get over it you are slow...either make your car faster to back up your talk, or stop running your mouth as much to match the slowness of your car.
I blame this on Ormand, he set this up.... you came here, did your intro and second post got right into chewing....right proper use of time it is.

you did not even bother listing what your track day experience was, what kind of bike you own, nothing just right into chewing... I can see by your post you do some straight line ... do yo do any of the kind track days this thread was about... I mean you might have done a 100 or 2, and lots of folks might know you, so maybe you do not need to show anything about what you know or don't know, maybe you have an chewing license....
but I have to agree with senator.. on this issue, this time... you are a troll... who knows maybe a self justified troll, but a troll none the less... but this old man loves to chuckle.

Last edited by obed; 04-03-2012 at 01:23 PM.
obed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:20 PM   #16
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Not wanting too much negativity to bring you down, I thought I would mention that crashing is NOT inevitable.
The bike is only doing what you tell it to and if you ride inside your abilities, you will have no trouble.

One more thing to keep in mind...
Even though it's called a "racetrack", on the day you will be there, it's just a closed, twisty, one way road that goes in circles.
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:32 PM   #17
1FC
380 Racing & Paint

Bike(s):
GSXR
GSXR
GSXR
GSXR

Oh man, just come to the track ride and hang out, all this wil go away.

Welcome to your new addiction, youll throw rocks at your car after a couple trackdays, come find me and Ill help you out .
1FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:45 PM   #18
Jonbones
MSRH Groundskeeper

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
gsxr 750 L1 (stolen)
Kawasaki Ninja 500R (Sold)

As soon as I get all my gear together, I'm headed out to the track as well, good thread to read to pick up some additional info

couldn't leave well enough alone, could you mike?
Jonbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:22 PM   #19
Vegas Kid

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
07 R6-sold
12 TTR 50

If the OP comes down to the central meet or any other meet he'll be able to ask some any and all questions that he may have regarding track days. Most times there will be season track whores or even organizations there that can help.

Good luck.
Vegas Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:45 PM   #20
obed
TMGP Pimp

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

yep the central meet tomorrow night will have our normal group of track whores and some instructors from a couple of the trackday organizations...can drink a beer or two, ask questions, listen to outright brag lies...and tell a few himself...

Advertisement