Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2012, 02:19 PM   #21
Tony1K
CMRA #721

Feedback Rating: (20)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 Aprilia RSV4 Factory Race Bike
2011 YZ450F Dirt
2015 Honda Grom

Every new bike I've bought New I ride it like I stole it everytime. Never had any issues, but then again I Buy extended warranties.
Tony1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New engine Break-In? RUN IT HARD AND FLOOR IT!? Petro Off Topic 33 03-28-2014 11:14 AM
Motorcycle Engine Stand?!!?! alexb0i How To's and Q & A's 3 12-07-2012 11:15 PM
Correct way to break in an engine? scrapp Performance and Modifications 14 06-11-2006 05:30 AM
Motorcycle Garage Break in - Almost spastic General Discussion (Moto Related) 27 11-23-2005 03:18 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-01-2012, 02:27 PM   #22
sbfuller
the crotch-rocketeer!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2006 Hayabusa (totaled)2007 Hayabusa, 2004 CRF 50

mine was on the dyno at 300 miles. it dyno'ed higher than any hayabusa there that was stock or with a slip-on and mine was bone stock
sbfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:17 PM   #23
ecclissiass

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2009 Yamaha YZF-R1 (stolen)
2005 Honda CBR600RR (traded)
1993 Honda CBR900RR (wrecked)
2012 Kawasaki ZX-14R
Ducati Diavel (dream bike #2)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabus63 View Post
I was at Mancuso this morning, which bike did you buy?!?
The all black 2012 Kawasaki ZX-14R the one right next to Daniel's desk in the Ducati section
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0241.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	54735   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0242.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	54736   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0243.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	54737  

Last edited by ecclissiass; 04-01-2012 at 03:22 PM.
ecclissiass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:55 PM   #24
KEITH HUBBARD
JOKERMAN

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
1300 V STAR YAMAHA
KZ 650 KAWASAKI
HONDA CB 550
TS125 SUZUKI
HARLEY DAVIDSON 50

Nice bike , I would follow the owners guide for break in , then it would be okay.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:22 PM   #25
obed
TMGP Pimp

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2011 Honda CBR600RR
Harley Road King
Harley Sportster
Yamaha TW200
Suzuki dirt bike

I did not buy a bike to break it in, i bought it to ride.
kidding aside, on all the new bikes I have bought over the years I stuck pretty close to the book instructions on break in.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:26 PM   #26
urbanXJ
erect engorged member

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2008 Versys

and that worked out good or bad?
urbanXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:41 PM   #27
Cethridge
Earth, Sky, Ambulance!

Bike(s):
SV650-Motard Fighter
Trek
46 Ford

The old reasoning behind break in was to seat the rings. Now with the new technologies in cylinder finishing, the rings are seated in by the time you get out of first gear. If you ride with a trace of sanity for a few hundred miles, it is broken in enough to beat the out of it.

I usually run new engines, car and bike, through one heat cycle before I get serious with them. I do reccomend you change your oil filter within the first 500 miles though. Ride it like you are going to ride everyday, just dont get hamfisted for a couple hundred miles and you will be fine. Besides, living in Houston, it will get stolen before you get out of warranty anyway.
Cethridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:15 PM   #28
Supa Dave
The Chupacabra

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 7

Bike(s):
GSX-R 600
KX250 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheinertr9 View Post
i've heard to run in high RPMs so the rings seat correctly.
Jose silva who is a pretty well known racer told me that sport bikes break in better At high Rpms and that taking it to the track is the best method. Just what I remember.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:03 PM   #29
ecclissiass

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2009 Yamaha YZF-R1 (stolen)
2005 Honda CBR600RR (traded)
1993 Honda CBR900RR (wrecked)
2012 Kawasaki ZX-14R
Ducati Diavel (dream bike #2)

Member Garage

Post This was actually a pretty goood read...

Breaking in a motorcycle is very important. Especially so with something like the gixer 600. Knowing the reasons that it is important will help you understand, and motivate you to do, maintenance on your bike. The breaking-in period with this particular motorcycle is going to play a direct role in how long your engine lasts, how frequently you'll have to make major repairs, long-term performance and maintenance, the list is long.

The breaking-in period with this bike should not exceed a tank, or a tank-and-a-half of fuel. For most of the first tank, maybe three-quarters, keep the engine r.p.m. under 6500 rpms. Do not run that first bit of fuel out of it all in one sitting. It would be a good idea to operate the bike in intervals of about 20 minutes per ride for that first portion of the break-in. Remembering to keep the rpm down, and just generally keep babying heck out of it.

This first stage of the break-in, there are a lot of things going on. Most importantly, the motor is getting hot, and cold a bunch which causes expansion and contraction. As this occurs bearing journals cut new paths in their races, the mains do something similar and, in general, all of the, "turning", parts are lining themselves up, and shedding material in the process.

Additionally, there will be fuel-residue-build up in the intake system that will be good for the bike. This build up takes awhile, with the engine in operation, and the bike will always be a little lean until this forms. Don't want to be too heavy handed until it can take full drinks of fuel.

The idea with this first stage is to just get the bike up to operating temp and run it for 10 to 15 minutes. Go do your accessory shopping. While you are out get a tire gauge and good hand pump. Also avoid letting the bike idle for extended periods of time. This can cause carbon build up that you would normally burn out with high rpms and you don't want that right now.

Once you feel you have thoroughly loosened the bike up, it is time to seat the rings. The, "rings", being the piston-rings. Whose job it is to seal for compression, and keep crankcase oil in the crankcase. Babying the bike so far has had one adverse effect. If you don't get the engine good and hot a couple of times, the cylinder walls will, "glaze". This will prevent the rings from seating properly. Which can lead to burned oil in the combustion chamber (Smokey exhaust), or low compression, or both. Very bad, this, "glaze".

To seat the rings, you've got to kick its a little. DON'T DO ANYTHING EVEN REMOTELY DANGEROUS TO ACHIEVE THIS!! The idea is that you need to get the engine pretty hot, and then place a significant amount of demand on it. That is to say, you are going to get it good and warm and then wring its neck. Keep in mind that you have a still very tight, brand new engine here. Don't break it. And the focus should be on making big rpm sweeps, in its tallest gears. You want the engine to be gaining rpm quickly, more than you are looking for a particular rpm limit to aim at. How long this takes, is up to you. You'll need to be operating a very high performance motorcycle at the peak of its performance level, for little bursts of time. Be very careful while you are doing this.

Once you've wrung it out a little go back to 6500 rpm baby mode back to the garage. The breaking in of the motorcycle is complete. You are not done however. Once the motorcycle is broken in, you need to have a talk with your mechanic. You'll definitely need to change the crankcase oil IMMEDIATELY after it is broken in. There will be metal particles in your oil at this point and they need to be removed. It is then that you should decide what type of oil you are going to use, filter, etc..

I usually drop the oil, go synthetic, and top dollar oil filter. Don't do any of this until it is good and broken in. Synthetics are so slick that they can prohibit a good ring seal, just like glazing. You should really be getting this advice from a certified Suzuki mechanic, but when you do, they'll tell you just what I did. Have fun and be safe.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:29 AM   #30
Bevo
Hook 'em!

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
'12 CBR1000RR Red/Black
'14 CB1000R Matte Gray
'10 CBR1000RR (destroyed)
'09 CBR1000RR C-ABS (sold)
'09 CBR600RR C-ABS (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecclissiass View Post
ok, so the first 600 miles of a brand new bike requires "special handling". I was at Mancuso this morning and, after the owner congratulated me on my new purchase, gave me a tip on proper motorcycle break in. So, I thought I would share this littel jewel for anybody purchasing a new bike. He told me to find a good little section of town to allow for a "controlled" use of clutch and throttle from gears 1-6. Meaning, staying in one gear for an extended period of time is actually bad for the engine. And that if I could just simply ride around at speed but going through all the gears at approx. 60% throttle then rest until the engine is cold, repeat at 75% throttle, rest and repeat, you will find that this will optimize your engine's performance. He went on to say that this method is what professional racers use to break in there bikes. Have any of you heard of this procedure? Further, what do you recommend as a proper "break-in"?
I recommend reading the owner's manual. I've put 30,000 miles on my bike in 26 months and so far so good
Bevo is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement